Found Deceased CA - Christopher Liang, USF student, rented a car to go from San Francisco to Irvine, 28 Feb 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
CHP incident logs mention the car was found overturned 300 ft from the roadway and 70 ft down a ravine.
CHP Incident Fatality
Prayers and thoughts for the family, friends and community.

I noticed in the CHP incident report the reporting party indicated "There is a hub cab and car parts near where the vehicle went off the roadway." I wonder if CL had some time off accident that caused him to lose control, or was trying to avoid these parts in the road if they were unrelated to his vehicle? I wonder if a final accident report will be made public.

Prayers and thoughts for the family, friends and community.

I noticed in the CHP incident report the reporting party indicated "There is a hub cab and car parts near where the vehicle went off the roadway." I wonder if CL had some time off accident that caused him to lose control, or was trying to avoid these parts in the road if they were unrelated to his vehicle? I wonder if a final accident report will be made public.
I had to Google because I was doubtful Tesla Model Ys even had hubcaps but apparently they do, on top of their alloy wheels supposedly to give options for aerodynamics.

The NHTSA will definitely release a final accident report but it probably won't tell you what you really want to know - only where the car left the road, how fast it was traveling in what direction, where it went over the cliff, how far it fell and its final location. Possibly some photos or at least diagrams.

I really am curious about how a dude under 25 was able to rent a Tesla in California. It seems like someone almost certainly consigned on it but I suppose that person already feels terrible and it's not our place to know (or distillate) if it was a mistake or not. We'll never completely understand the subtle circumstances and there was no crime or threat to the public.

I really am curious about how a dude under 25 was able to rent a Tesla in California. It seems like someone almost certainly consigned on it but I suppose that person already feels terrible and it's not our place to know (or distillate) if it was a mistake or not. We'll never completely understand the subtle circumstances and there was no crime or threat to the public.

He probably rented it on Truro, it's an Airbnb-style car rental app where owners rent their cars to individuals. Some allow under 25s with a surcharge. I've rented a luxury car from Truro before and can confirm there are lots of rare and luxury cars listed there.

He probably rented it on Truro, it's an Airbnb-style car rental app where owners rent their cars to individuals. Some allow under 25s with a surcharge. I've rented a luxury car from Truro before and can confirm there are lots of rare and luxury cars listed there.
and SF would def have that available since a lot of residents dont keep cars because owning a car is a hassle there.

The brother stated a g f m today... (I don't think I can link it here, set for 50k.) Link is on the findchrisliang website. He says his parents are in China and he will be walking for his brother's graduation.

(I will say that families sending their children from China to USA are usually those with means... USF is a private university.)

This is such a sad ending. My heart goes out to his family.

One thing I don't understand still---it was said earlier that he rented the car for just 2 days. How was he going to go from SF to Irvine and back in just 2 days? That would give him a very very short time to be in Irvine.

It seemed like an impulsive and hastily planned trip. So heartbreaking. :(

This is such a sad ending. My heart goes out to his family.

One thing I don't understand still---it was said earlier that he rented the car for just 2 days. How was he going to go from SF to Irvine and back in just 2 days? That would give him a very very short time to be in Irvine.

It seemed like an impulsive and hastily planned trip. So heartbreaking. :(

Yeah, I think the fact that he had never driven much before... got his license last spring but never really drove... didn't own his own car and rented a car unfamiliar to him... definitely didn't help things when a trip to OC with a 1 day turnaround is tiresome for even those of us who do it with some regularity.

In SF you can pretty easily get around via public transportation or rideshare, so it's not surprising that he was a 21yo without a car.

The g f m website mentions that
"He tragically passed away in a car accident. "

He was found 6 miles west of the Supercharger station next to McDonald's in Firebaugh rest stop, off the road down a ravine... so many questions.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briankap
Back