Found Safe CA - Connerjack Oswalt, 16, 29 Sept 2019, *Autistic*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Unsolved

Reaction score
Found after two+ years! I used search and didn't find a thread (even using his unusual first name), and so I wanted to bring this here to remind us to never, ever give up hope! Woohoo!

SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — An autistic teenager reported missing from Northern California in 2019 was recently found in Summit County.

Connerjack Oswalt was reported missing by the Clearlake Police Department on September 29, 2019 with his last known sighting in nearby Willows, California roughly one week later.

“We’ve had a lot of false hope over the last two and a half years,” said Gerald Flint, Connerjack’s stepfather to FOX 13 News.

Connerjack was diagnosed with autism in 2014. His family had been searching for him since his disappearance by scanning posts for unidentified individuals and even checking morgues.

Recently, members of the Park City community started reporting an individual in the area who had been seen pushing a shopping cart. Summit County Sheriff’s Office deputies came in contact with the man a few times, but since he hadn’t been committing a crime, they checked on his well-being but never learned of his name.

“As we’ve dealt with this individual he has never been aggressive towards law enforcement but he’s been resistant towards law enforcement,” said Sheriff Justin Martinez with the Summit County Sheriff’s Office.

Over the weekend, the dispatch center received a call for a man sleeping outside of a store in Jeremy Ranch.

“Deputies [were] dispatched early in the morning and it’s the same individual we’ve been dealing with the past couple of weeks,” said Sheriff Martinez, who then began describing his condition which aligned with the body camera video shared with FOX 13 News. “This morning he’s very cold, he’s shivering, he’s obviously had a rough night.”

Deputies were able to convince the man to warm up in the front seat of one of their police vehicles. The man consented to a finger scan since he wouldn’t tell deputies his name. The scan came back with a warrant hit out of Nevada for Connerjack Oswald.

“The Deputies again felt there’s more to this story, there’s something more this individuals being resistant, reluctant to communicate,” said Sheriff Martinez,

Dispatchers began combing through the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children database. “After about 16 pages of scouring through names and photographs and trying to find something that might match up, came up with the name, Connerjack Oswalt,” Martinez said.

The spelling of Connerjack’s last name was different in both methods of research. However, once they felt confident with the identification, they were able to contact his family, who had moved from California to Idaho after their home was badly damaged in a wildfire.

“Honestly, I’m still dumbstruck by the situation,” said Flint. Flint called his wife Suzanne (Connerjack’s mother) and told her the news.

Flint drove from Idaho Falls to Park City to meet with deputies and was able to positively identify Connerjack, who had been missing for more than two years.

“There wasn’t a dry eye in the room and we’re talking law enforcement, family members, they been reunited with this individual they haven’t seen for three years when he was 16, he’s now 19,” said Sheriff Martinez.

Connerjack’s mother and stepfather shared how difficult the last few years have been without knowing the status of their son.

“To find him alive is incredible,” said Flint.

“We’re just grateful that he’s safe and he’s alive and we have our son back. That’s the most important thing ever for us,” said Suzanne.

“It’s the compassion, it’s the empathy, it’s looking at the bigger picture and feeling that there’s something here,” said Sheriff Martinez of his deputies. “Although he had a warrant, there was a something deeper that these individuals, my deputies felt like they needed to explore.”

Connerjack is now safe in a treatment facility and his family is relieved to know that he is indeed ‘ok’.

After learning of the positive outcome, the Clearlake Police Department shared a statement with FOX 13 News: "It was great news for us at the Clearlake Police Department to hear Conner was located safe by the Summit County Sheriff's Office. We hope Conner’s family can get some much-needed relief knowing he is okay."

April is Autism Awareness Month. On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, the Summit County Sheriff’s Office rolled out the Autism Safety Program on their website, encouraging members of their community to share information about their loved ones dealing with autism or other illness.

“Rapid access to information such as their name, birthday, physical description, emergency contact information, known triggers and behaviors, etc. will help Officers during their initial response,” reads a statement on the website. “Please share all information you feel comfortable providing. This form should be filled out yearly to ensure accurate information is available for first responders.”

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...california-found-safe-in-utah-two-years-later

California teen with autism who vanished 3 years ago is found alive in Utah (msn.com)

Unbelievable!!

AAWfuem.img

Connerjack Oswalt was last seen in Willows, California, roughly 85 miles north of Sacramento. He was reported missing by the Clearlake Police department in late September 2019 when he was 16 years old.

According to a statement by the Summit County Sheriff's office in Utah, deputies had approached a young man over a course of a "couple weeks," responding to community calls about a "homeless person wandering around the Kimball Junction area, pushing a shopping cart."

"Deputies responded each time and offered services to the young man, who was NOT violating any laws - he refused any help," the sheriff's office said in a statement posted to Facebook.

A California teen with autism who went missing in 2019 was found outside a Utah gas station nearly 3 years after his disappearance

What his family does know is that after deputies found Oswalt at the Utah convenience store, they asked if he would like to come in their patrol car and warm up. He agreed, and eventually let officers take a fingerprint.

That led them to an outstanding warrant from February in Nevada.

“The deputies just felt that there was something there, something beyond a criminal warrant. There was a humanitarian effort that needed to be explored further,” Martinez said.

The officers set to work shifting through paperwork, looking for reports of missing and endangered children. About 16 pages in, they found a 2019 missing person report from Clearlake, California. Though it had a slightly different name spelling from the Nevada warrant, the photos matched and they called his family.

When the Flints first got the call, they worried their son had been found dead. After his wife confirmed the identification through a birth mark, Gerald Flint left work, jumped in his car and drove four hours to Utah.

“Everyone in the room was in tears. They went above and beyond, put hours of work,” he said. “They could have dismissed it, but they didn’t and that made all the difference in the world.”

Social workers knowledgeable about autism took over Oswalt’s care after the reunion with his family, said Summit County Sheriff’s Lt. Andrew Wright. His family is hoping to bring him back home soon.

“We didn’t treat him as a criminal. We treated as somebody that has something deeper that we needed to dig into,” Martinez said. “That intuition is what really reunited this family.”
Clearlake Teen Connerjack Oswalt Found Safe In Utah Nearly 3 Years After Disappearance

Last edited:
What a wonderful outcome. This is truly a miracle. It will be so interesting to hear what he's been thru these last three years if he cares to share them. Right now I know his mother is thankful he's been found and just wants to love and reassure Connerjack that he is safe. Not knowing the facts, I would never comment on this beyond saying he has been located. The miracle of him being found gives us hope and confirmation not to ever give up. Welcome home!

Authorities were called to investigate a homeless person, something that is unusual in their area, and he was found due to a fingerprint search because he refused to tell authorities his name.

Missing California teen found by Utah deputies three years later

He's high-functioning enough that he was classified as a runaway when he went missing from his California home at age 16 or 17, and it's unknown how he ended up in Utah or what he's been doing all this time. Regardless, his family is happy that they know where he is and that he is alive.

Just saw this story pop up on my Google newsfeed and immediately came here to see if there was a thread for him.

Love these rare occasions when a missing person's case has a happy ending. Sad that this was a voluntary thing that began with a cell phone being taken away as punishment nearly 3 years ago. But again, what a great ending.

Wow! Where could he have been all this time? His family must be so emotional- I can’t imagine how his Mom must feel. So happy for Connerjack and his family.

Strange situation. He was arrested in Nevada, but they weren't able to identify him then? How does that even work?

He was really serious about not saying his name. He didn't want to be taken anywhere by LE, he didn't want to answer any questions about his stolen shopping cart, etc.

I find it really... interesting that he went missing from California, was arrested for whatever reason in Nevada, his mother and stepfather moved to Idaho and he is found in... Utah. Big coincidence, uh? I'm not sure he wants to go back.

Strange situation. He was arrested in Nevada, but they weren't able to identify him then? How does that even work?

He was really serious about not saying his name. He didn't want to be taken anywhere by LE, he didn't want to answer any questions about his stolen shopping cart, etc.

I find it really... interesting that he went missing from California, was arrested for whatever reason in Nevada, his mother and stepfather moved to Idaho and he is found in... Utah. Big coincidence, uh? I'm not sure he wants to go back.
Interesting when you lay it out like that. I read all the articles posted here but I didn't realize so many locations/states were involved in this story. That is kind of odd.

Interesting when you lay it out like that. I read all the articles posted here but I didn't realize so many locations/states were involved in this story. That is kind of odd.
Right? I can totally see him running away from home in California and heading out to Las Vegas. But then him ending up in Utah giving the fact that his mother moved to Idaho? Weird.

Right? I can totally see him running away from home in California and heading out to Las Vegas. But then him ending up in Utah giving the fact that his mother moved to Idaho? Weird.

Please explain what is weird? Location somehow? Or not wanting to identify himself?

He must've given his name in Nevada given that the warrant had a misspelled version of it. No mention of what the warrant was for. I agree that the story is murky at best. He's an adult now, though, and should be able to make his own decisions, including living rough if he so chooses, correct?

Please explain what is weird? Location somehow? Or not wanting to identify himself?
I find it odd that he ended up in the neighboring state his mother moved to from CA. I also find it weird that he was arrested (there's even a mugshot and they took his fingerprints) in Nevada and nobody was able to identify him there. Why not?

He was very insistent on not revealing his identity, but agreed to be fingerprinted in Utah. Why? Didn't want help with his shopping cart being stolen.

He was living with his mother and stepfather in California when he went missing. Somehow he ends up in Nevada and gets arrested there for whatever reason, then he's found in Utah. Meanwhile his mother and stepfather move to Idaho from California. And it's the stepfather that goes to Utah to identify him and then bring him home. I wonder if he ever went home.

I recall someone saying that he ran away because his mother took his phone away. Would he really be so serious about not going back if it was JUST about a cell phone?

He must've given his name in Nevada given that the warrant had a misspelled version of it. No mention of what the warrant was for. I agree that the story is murky at best. He's an adult now, though, and should be able to make his own decisions, including living rough if he so chooses, correct?
Oh, that makes more sense! Yes, I agree that he should be left alone. Maybe get him help if he wants it, but if he doesn't want to go back "home" then best to leave him alone. I just don't get "happy ending" vibes from this story.

Realize he's an adult, and can therefore make his own decisions etc, but since all the articles mentioned he had autism, I wondered (and worried) about whether he was high functioning? Low functioning? somewhere in between? Realize you sometimes have no control in moving (perhaps his parents had a job relocation) but wondered if their son would have the ability to find them since they moved to another state. There wasn't any more articles (that I found) to verify that they actually reunited.
If the severity of his autism makes him a fragile member of society, I hope that he was given resources so that moving forward, he is able to get a high school diploma and/or no longer be homeless if he chose not to go home to his parents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jkn1989
Back