CA CA - Corinne Groenenberg, 14, Modesto, 1 Nov 1973

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Corinnes family had moved from Southern, CA to the Compton area just weeks before her disappearance. I'm leaning towards her walking to the Hwy and hitchiking because she was homesick and wanted to get back to Southern CA. Did she get into the wrong car or did she make it back to her old area and from there we don't know. Would be interested in knowing if LE just searched the Compton area or if a search was done of her old neighborhood and town?

Corinnes family had moved from Southern, CA to the Compton area just weeks before her disappearance. I'm leaning towards her walking to the Hwy and hitchiking because she was homesick and wanted to get back to Southern CA. Did she get into the wrong car or did she make it back to her old area and from there we don't know. Would be interested in knowing if LE just searched the Compton area or if a search was done of her old neighborhood and town?
I think it could have been like you say... her parents still have the house where she spent her childhood hoping that one day she will return...
either way
she rest in peace

I think it could have been like you say... her parents still have the house where she spent her childhood hoping that one day she will return...
either way
she rest in peace
Her parents have since died, her mother before Oct 2014 and probate was filed on the father in San Diego County in 2023.

I don’t think Corinne ever got into a blue or green truck with an unidentified male driver. LE needs to tell us why they believe the “friend’s” story (have they ever actually said that they do believe the story? I must admit, idk..)

For that matter, what witnesses were at the house that can actually verify that they actually saw (and were not merely told by someone else) Corinne leave the house?

Who is this “friend” anyway? I’ve heard him or her described as a friend, a family friend, a neighbor.

When looking at homicides (and I assume most missing persons cases where homicide is at least a possibility as well) - where detectives work from the inside out - first starting with family, then friends, then any ex’s, then neighbors, then co-workers, etc,, - wouldn't LE have looked very closely at this “friend’s” story?

If there was no subsequent suspicion about the “friend”, why is so little else known about him / her and the important specifics of his /her account that have never been revealed? Why does it feel like the answers to hundreds of questions are either not known by LE, or are being withheld from the public by LE for no good reason at all (even info that could not possibly prejudice or harm any future prosecution, etc)? Idk, Maybe they DO suspect the friend…

Questions such as:

- Was the “friend” a friend of Corinne’s, or maybe a friend of one of Corrine’s siblings
? - Was the “friend” a friend of her parents?
- Or was he/she just an “often seen, very familiar neighbor” who always seemed friendly and helpful?
- Was the “friend” male or female?
- Was the “friend” on foot (this seems highly unlikely, as, unless it was specifically being done at the direction of the parents in order to “look out” for Corrine and be sure she was safe, wouldn’t it almost be considered stalking)?
- Why did the friend follow Corrine?
- Did somebody “send” the friend to follow Corinne? If so, who?
- if Corinne was going to hitch hike out of why was the “froebd” even going to the trouble of seeing her begin her journey? He knew he eventually wouldn’t be able to continue to follow (I guess unless it was a paid PI)
- Did the “friend” just happen to randomly see Corinne approach the Highway, or had the “friend” been following Corrine from the moment she left her house? What was the “friend’s” story?
-Did Corrine know she was being followed?
-Was Corrine afraid of the “family friend” who was following her?
-can anybody corroborate the friend’s statement?
- was the “friend” ever given a lie detector test?
-Were there any other witnesses who saw anything (green or blue truck)?
- if the friend had, for some reason, been sent to follow Corrine to make sure she was okay and remained safe (let’s say in a situation where she left the house after an argument with one of both parents), wouldn’t the friend have followed the truck - and at a minimum attempted to get a plate number?

It certainly would be unlikely, inappropriate, and bizarre for a “friend” sent to insure her safety to have returned to the home and said: “No need to worry guys, I saw her get into a green or blue truck with some unidentified man and they took off. Nothing to worry about”

If the “friend” is not a possible POI, why won’t police provide answers to the above questions to help further the investigation? None of the answers would reveal the friends name or interfere with a future prosecution (again, jmo)

If it was Corrine’s intention to run away, surely some event precipitated her decision to leave so abruptly. Why have her parents not said what this was? What was happening and what was said? That info imo would have helped all interested parties in trying to locate Corrine. Why did the parents not speak up and provide these details?

Very often we at WS hear press conferences and see MP posters and see/watch / read news articles where LE is begging for information, saying “every little tid bit helps - even if you think it’s not important, please tell us, because it might be.”

Well, I think this thinking ought to apply in both directions - and especially in cold cases: to some extent even in the beginning, but definitely after decades with no movement and no possible perp DNA. If they really want this cold case solved, they should release what they have. The perp is probably dead anyway. Why are LE taking it “to their graves?

LE needs to release nearly everything they have but a possible suspects list and raw interviews to the general public. It appears they don’t believe their own saying that every little tid bit helps.

Unrelated but related question: did Corinne live with a step dad? Did she have a boyfriend?

Although I understand why this has become a narrowed thread with the focus now being on hoping UiD remains found even a long time ago might be her, or that a recent UID might be a hit. I guess that’s better than nothing.

It always makes me sad though when a missing person’s case morphs into a UID “match” type case. They go from “what happened? what caused her to go missing?The victim and family deserve Justice” to: “we just want to find the body”. (No offense to our WS UID group, which hold it in very high regard).

But it has now been over 50 years. Who knows? - maybe there is still some 75-80 year old child abductor s/a murderer out there who could be put in a cage for the rest of his miserable life. Even if - due to the passage of time - it ends up being only a smidge of Justice. Corrine deserves every bit of Justice we can get for her

All jmo

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro