CA CA - Cory Weiss, 23, San Francisco, August/ September 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Hammond & Saint Louis Cory is the right one, on Ancestry he is listed with the correct birthdate. I think he was from Hammond but attended Washington University in Saint Louis, as his address there is a university address.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that his family think that he committed suicide, I've found his grandfather's 2008 obituary and he is listed as surviving on it.

idk. I think that if Cory did commit suicide, they obviously didn't find the body or Cory wouldn't be listed as missing, right?
Perhaps 'surviving' in the case of the grandfather's obituary is taken literally as there is the fact that they didn't find any hard proof of his death so there's still .0001% chance that he could be alive somewhere

to me this reads as a probable suicide where the body wasn't found, and that's why there is pretty much no mention of his death online. Very very sad.

also i've messaged almost all of you i think with some personal info, so check your messages if you haven't

this is kind of random but i can't help myself: doesn't cory look like a young robert downey jr.?

idk. I think that if Cory did commit suicide, they obviously didn't find the body or Cory wouldn't be listed as missing, right?
Perhaps 'surviving' in the case of the grandfather's obituary is taken literally as there is the fact that they didn't find any hard proof of his death so there's still .0001% chance that he could be alive somewhere

to me this reads as a probable suicide where the body wasn't found, and that's why there is pretty much no mention of his death online. Very very sad.

also i've messaged almost all of you i think with some personal info, so check your messages if you haven't

this is kind of random but i can't help myself: doesn't cory look like a young robert downey jr.?

I agree with you about suicide without a body recovery being the most likely scenario here (unfortunately). I seem to remember another cold case (Dermot Kelly, maybe?) where the father's obituary listed the missing child as pre-deceasing him, while the mother's obituary listed him as surviving her (and she died after the father, so it wasn't that Dermot's fate became known in between his parents' deaths). In that particular case, all signs point to a drowning, probably suicide, but no body was found...and I think his parents' obituaries just show that different family members cope in different ways. Some see false hope as being needlessly cruel, while others see false hope as at least being hope.

I just think it's too odd that the disappearance of a relatively young man, who went missing at a time when plenty of people were dependent on the internet for news and communication, isn't more widely publicized online. (Not odd/sinister, just odd/unexpected.) The only possible thing I could think of that might influence things is that, depending on which disappearance date you go by, he either went missing two weeks before, or two weeks after, 9/11. Granted, he went missing on the other side of the country, but maybe there was an especially strong sentiment of "Eh, he's missing voluntarily, and we've got far bigger things to worry about right now" at that time. Also, I remember that I had to attend a conference out of state in late September of that year, and it was quite iffy if flights would have resumed by then. I was able to take the flight, but the two closest airports were still shutdown, so my departure airport was changed to one pretty far away because it was one of the few airports in the midwest that was opened back up that soon afterwards. So maybe his family had a difficult time finding a way to get out to San Francisco to look for him or to publicize his disappearance at the time?

I agree with you about suicide without a body recovery being the most likely scenario here (unfortunately). I seem to remember another cold case (Dermot Kelly, maybe?) where the father's obituary listed the missing child as pre-deceasing him, while the mother's obituary listed him as surviving her (and she died after the father, so it wasn't that Dermot's fate became known in between his parents' deaths). In that particular case, all signs point to a drowning, probably suicide, but no body was found...and I think his parents' obituaries just show that different family members cope in different ways. Some see false hope as being needlessly cruel, while others see false hope as at least being hope.

I just think it's too odd that the disappearance of a relatively young man, who went missing at a time when plenty of people were dependent on the internet for news and communication, isn't more widely publicized online. (Not odd/sinister, just odd/unexpected.) The only possible thing I could think of that might influence things is that, depending on which disappearance date you go by, he either went missing two weeks before, or two weeks after, 9/11. Granted, he went missing on the other side of the country, but maybe there was an especially strong sentiment of "Eh, he's missing voluntarily, and we've got far bigger things to worry about right now" at that time. Also, I remember that I had to attend a conference out of state in late September of that year, and it was quite iffy if flights would have resumed by then. I was able to take the flight, but the two closest airports were still shutdown, so my departure airport was changed to one pretty far away because it was one of the few airports in the midwest that was opened back up that soon afterwards. So maybe his family had a difficult time finding a way to get out to San Francisco to look for him or to publicize his disappearance at the time?

Oh wow, I didn't even look closely at his disappearance date. Thanks for pointing that out. And the fact that there are two different dates on different sites... so weird. How common is it for the disappearance date to be uncertain/conflicting info on it?
The 9/11 thing is probably pertinent; i always imagine what happened to sick or injured people (especially in NY) needing medical care or police on 9/11. LE and medics' minds and energy were elsewhere. Also if he indeed went missing AFTER 9/11, 9/11 could have have been an event that fed into a possible depression
This is probably a stupid question, but if there's a suicide note and every indication of suicide but the body isn't found, they are forever a missing person on these sites, right? Would there be some kind of mention of a very possible intentional disappearance/death?
It could be that this was quite obviously a suicide, his family knew he wasn't doing well, etc. and so there was no point in the family publicizing it, talking to reporters etc..
This is also a really stupid question, but if Cory jumped off the Golden Gate bridge, is there a great chance he would've gotten swept out and that's why he was never found? I know nothing about the San Fran Bay and the Pacific Ocean and the connecting currents. I feel like so many people are found because there are daily checks for bodies (a horrible question, but I imagine police have to look regularly)

This case is so haunting to me. So recent and with so little information. Not even people mentioning their lost friend/former classmate/colleague anywhere. I really feel for Cory and his family

This is probably a stupid question, but if there's a suicide note and every indication of suicide but the body isn't found, they are forever a missing person on these sites, right? Would there be some kind of mention of a very possible intentional disappearance/death?

This is also a really stupid question, but if Cory jumped off the Golden Gate bridge, is there a great chance he would've gotten swept out and that's why he was never found? I know nothing about the San Fran Bay and the Pacific Ocean and the connecting currents. I feel like so many people are found because there are daily checks for bodies (a horrible question, but I imagine police have to look regularly)

Check out The Charley Project blog, there are several posts about people who committed suicide by jumping from The Golden Gate Bridge (people saw them, their belongings were found on the bridge etc.) but their bodies were never found, they are still listed as missing persons.

This young man even travelled to SF from CO, so sad:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sueper_matthew.html

http://charleyross.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/golden-gate-bridge-suicides/

I just think it's too odd that the disappearance of a relatively young man, who went missing at a time when plenty of people were dependent on the internet for news and communication, isn't more widely publicized online. (Not odd/sinister, just odd/unexpected.)

I also think it is strange that nobody seems to be looking for him online. There's only one picture of him available which I always find very sad as well.

Maybe he was a very introverted person with few friends and most people who used to know him aren't even aware of him being a missing person.

Maybe I read too much about Golden Gate Bridge suicides but when I read about a man in his early 20s disappearing from San Francisco and nobody seems to be looking for him my gut screams "possible suicide"...

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/cory-weiss/68/b7/9b0
are we sure this is not him? could this be why there is not a lot of publicity because he is not really missing and it was a mix up? weirder things have happened folks!

ALSO check this out!! this is weird!!
http://web.archive.org/web/20010708234113/http://userfs.cec.wustl.edu/~cew1/

The eyebrows look different to me. In the older picture when he is smiling his right eyebrow is arched and the one here is not arched. Maybe silly on my part.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/cory-weiss/68/b7/9b0
are we sure this is not him? could this be why there is not a lot of publicity because he is not really missing and it was a mix up? weirder things have happened folks!

ALSO check this out!! this is weird!!
http://web.archive.org/web/20010708234113/http://userfs.cec.wustl.edu/~cew1/

We'd found the webpage a little bit ago, and yeah it's so weird, and soooo frustrating that he never updated it with anything!

I don't think this can be the right Cory Weiss to be honest, the shape of his head is wrong. I've found some more photos of the Tennessee Cory Weiss online and it's even clearer in those.

I don't think the Cory Weiss on Linked-In is the same guy. Aside from the "FB pictures look nothing like the missing Cory Weiss" issue, the Linked-In Cory Weiss is an engineer, which means that he's tech-savvy. There's no person alive, who knows how to do a basic internet search, who hasn't ego-Googled their own name. Surely if seeing he was still listed as "missing," he would have taken steps to have those missing notices removed. If he's on Linked-In, it means that he uses the internet for career networking...and nobody who is concerned about career networking wants outdated "MISSING" notices about them on the internet, knowing that those will pop up if a prospective employer is doing a search on his name. So I just don't see any way that these are the same Cory Weiss.

Are any members of his family contactable online? This one needs a verified insider! There is so little info about him being missing.

I'm really surprised there is so little info on him! I googled around but nothing besides the links in the first post come up. I'm surprised there aren't even any news articles about his disappearance. It's very weird. I wonder if his family are still looking for him.

My best bet would be emailing the LE handling his disappearance and see if they have anymore information on him. Even the area, the time of day and what he was doing at the time would be very helpful.

I wonder if this young man had depression and/or other mental health issues too because that alone can rule out and rule in things, such as suicide and leaving their life behind. Maybe he did and that's why there isn't much of a search for him, because they really consider suicide or leaving his old life behind as what happened to him? Who knows.

We won't really know until we get some more information about him.

I found this breaking news story about a missing US woman who has popped up in Mexico and has just contacted her family:

http://www.wjfw.com/print_story.html?SKU=20131106194620

...But Wausau Police weren't surprised McAllister was living in Mexico.

They say family members heard from McAllister when she was in Mexico years ago.

"We heard that from family members but we still wanted verification so she remained as a missing person until law enforcement could make contact with her and we made contact with her in September of this year," explains Hagenbucher.

Not directly (or even indirectly) related to Cory Weiss's case--and I don't mean to imply that I think Cory is hiding out in Mexico or somewhere else--but I thought it shed some interesting light on the "what has to happen for a Missing case to be officially closed" question, at least in one jurisdiction.

My best bet would be emailing the LE handling his disappearance and see if they have anymore information on him. Even the area, the time of day and what he was doing at the time would be very helpful.

Have a look at page 1 of this thread, I emailed LE a few days ago. Haven't heard anything back yet.

What I find incredible about this is not just how little information there is about Cory's disappearance online, but how tiny the electronic footprint both he and his family appear to have left overall is! 2001 wasn't THAT long ago, I feel like there must be information lurking out there somewhere.

About the only thing I was able to locate about the family at all was this -- Donelle Weiss, during years surrounding Cory's disappearance, appears to have co-authored a Northwest Indiana Times newspaper column called "Coping with Death," which discussed preparing for & dealing with the passing of a loved one. The couple articles I viewed did not reference Cory's disappearance, so I won't link them here, but you can find them by searching at the Times website for the name of the column.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a response from LE.

This may be a really stupid question, but here it goes.

Let's say that someone goes into the witness protection program. Is the person's info posted on missing people sites? I could see why it would be beneficial to list the person as missing -- that way people aren't tipped off that they are actually in witness protection.

I'm not trying to imply that Cory is in witness protection. I'm just in awe that someone can drop off the radar like that, and I'm trying to think outside the box.

What I find incredible about this is not just how little information there is about Cory's disappearance online, but how tiny the electronic footprint both he and his family appear to have left overall is! 2001 wasn't THAT long ago, I feel like there must be information lurking out there somewhere.

About the only thing I was able to locate about the family at all was this -- Donelle Weiss, during years surrounding Cory's disappearance, appears to have co-authored a Northwest Indiana Times newspaper column called "Coping with Death," which discussed preparing for & dealing with the passing of a loved one. The couple articles I viewed did not reference Cory's disappearance, so I won't link them here, but you can find them by searching at the Times website for the name of the column.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a response from LE.

I looked up more about the author that you mentioned, and it seems that she is heavily involved in managing/running a hospice. This would also explain why she would write a newspaper column about coping with death. Not sure that it's related...

"Lyle Stevik" John Doe comes to mind...... but Lyle/John Doe didn't wear glasses.

same raised eyebrow
same time frame (Cory - August 2001, Lyle - Sept 2001)
similar height and weight
west coast (San Fran and Washington State)

What I got from those articles was what you said, as well -- that the author is somehow on the board of a local hospice. I did not mean to imply that, even assuming she is Cory's mother, the REASON she was writing the articles was related to him and not her work. My mistake if that's how it came across.

I posted them more because the name (which is slightly unusual) and location fit for the author to be Cory's mother. I don't believe the content has anything to do with this, though.

What I got from those articles was what you said, as well -- that the author is somehow on the board of a local hospice. I did not mean to imply that, even assuming she is Cory's mother, the REASON she was writing the articles was related to him and not her work. My mistake if that's how it came across.

I posted them more because the name (which is slightly unusual) and location fit for the author to be Cory's mother. I don't believe the content has anything to do with this, though.

Got it! Thanks for the explanation. Sorry I misunderstood your point. She could definitely be related.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back