CA CA - Daly City, WhtFem 25-30, UP9938, forced OD, strangled, Jan'87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Today marks 29 years since Jane Doe's discovery. RIP. I hope 2016 will be the year you get your name back.

Regarding the overdose and strangulation - could this have been an assisted suicide? She takes the pills and instructs the assisting friend to strangle her when she is unconscious so that she doesn't throw them back up?

Just a thought, as it was mentioned that it is very unusual to kill someone this way, especially because the meds would have taken hours to kill her.

Is it possible that whoever strangled her was trying to make her regurgitate / vomit out the pills? And perhaps they got caught or they were worried that what they were doing looked suspicious so fled the scene?

The forced overdose angle is throwing me off. If she were found with bruising on her arms and legs and an injection of heroin or some other injectable drug then I'd see it. But it seems so difficult to get someone to swallow a large amount of pills, and especially if it's out in public. Maybe she had been held at someone's place and when she didn't die of an overdose they strangled her? But then the argument that was witnessed at a garage sale across the street wouldn't make sense. Hm.

Kimberly Marie Blackburn aka "Rosana" missing from Indianapolis since 1983.

This is why i do not like these computer generated renditions of people. To me, this doesnt look anything like the actual morgue photo. If you look at the actual photo of this person and compare it to Kimberly Marie Blackburn you will see some distinct similarities like the nose and the upward turn of the one side of the mouth.
Someone had mentioned on another site that it is highly unlikely because both have DNA in NamUs. but in order for them to hit a match most effectively both biological parents need to give samples. From a most recent news article in a local indiana paper it says that the brothers and sisters are still searching which is easy to assume that one or two parents arent able(or havent been able) to give samples because theyve either been both deceased or possibly a father is not known or available and the lone mother has been deceased before a DNA Sample was given. The sisters and brother need to be full blooded(more than one full blooded sibling works best) in order for it to be the second best option aside from two biological parents. If that doesnt happen then the chances of a match dwindle to an even more unlikely chance of finding a match.

The cataract in the right eye could be caused by having a keyhole pupil. This is a common occurrence in people with keyhole pupils, so that does add up. The only thing not mentioned is the rose tattoo on the hip but that can be explained by the two scars and the appendectomy. It couldve cut through the tiny tattoo at some point. Anyway, i hope someone in the family comes across this and sees it. I have reported it and i hope follow through happens because i am almost completely certain this is a match.

The Doe Network
Case File: 439UFCA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/439ufca.html
NamUs Case Number: UP 9938 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9938

439UFCA.jpg
eadeeb81-500c-4781-909e-fc0da92f1216.jpg
7c04a7ad-bd81-43e7-9e1a-233b76958579.jpg

Sketch of 439ufca

Unidentified Female
Date of Discovery: January 11, 1987
Location of Discovery: Daly City, San Mateo County, California
Estimated Date of Death: Same day
State of Remains: Recognizable face
Cause of Death: Homicide by forced overdose and strangulation

Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 25-30
Race: White
Height: 5'2" to 5'4"
Weight: 95-105 lbs.
Hair Color: Straight, dark brown hair with seborrhea (dandruff).
Eye Color: Brown

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Appendectomy scar (2 inches long). Evidence of childbirth. Smoker. Hands worn from some kind of hard work. Possible cataract in her right eye. Underarms and legs were unshaven.

Dentals: Available. No fillings or other devices noted. Tooth #16 impacted or unerupted. Dental chart
Fingerprints: Available. Fingerprint card
DNA: nucDNA available.
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Gray Windy Weather jacket with hood and fleece lining, Eyes Stopper blue jeans, blue velour sweater, New York gray pullover, hooded lavender sweatshirt, blue underwear, pair of brown socks, pair of black socks, pair of white socks, and a pair of brown lace-up shoes that were fairly expensive. Clothing was in the size 6 range.

Jewelry: None.

Additional Personal Items: A partially labeled prescription container bearing the name "Long's Drug" in Concord. A matchbook from Vern's, a local restaurant. Two packs of Winston cigarettes, one of which was a new pack.

Case History

Children discovered the fully dressed remains of a young female, possibly a transient, in the bushes in front of 198 Bruno Street in Daly City. She had been apparently forced to take on overdose of prescription drugs and then strangled.

The autopsy identified the prescription drugs as imipramine and desimpramine - anti-depressants often used to relieve agitated psychotic symptoms. There was no evidence that she was a habitual drug user.

There was no evidence of sexual assault. She did not have identification or a house key on her.

Earlier she was seen buying a pack of cigarettes at Vern's Diner on Mission Street in Daly City. Some people across the street were having a garage sale and they saw her fighting with a male, but did not intervene.

When investigators interviewed people from Vern's and other businesses and residences in the area, no one recognized her.

Her fingerprints were sent to law enforcement agencies throughout the country, but received no hits.

the resemblance is uncanny between Kimberly Blackburn and Daly City Jane's morgue photo. have you submitted?

the resemblance is uncanny between Kimberly Blackburn and Daly City Jane's morgue photo. have you submitted?

I saw that someone on one of the facebook pages did.

Yes, the resemblance is very strong. But the Jane Doe didn't have a rose tattoo on her hip like Kimberly had. I tend to think that if there was a such tattoo, they would have mentioned it. The Jane Doe has plenty of detail in her physical description, so I believe that if they are going to mention cataracts in her eyes, unshaven armpits, abdominal scar, and seborrhea, they would have mentioned a tattoo.

Edit to add: I think Kimberly has broader cheekbones too.

Published April 26, 2020
Do you recognize any of these Bay Area John and Jane Does?

95479091_2666120473666819_7500305525058306048_o.png

The woman's fully clothed body was found in the bushes in front of 198 Bruno Street, Daly City in January 1987.

Description: A 5-foot-3, 99-pound, white female, age 25-30. Found in the decedent's possession

The woman's fully clothed body was found in the bushes in front of 198 Bruno Street, Daly City in January 1987.

Description: A 5-foot-3, 99-pound, white female, age 25-30. Found in the decedent's possession were a partially labeled prescription container bearing the name "Long's Drug" in Concord and a matchbook with a "Vern's" insignia.

Date found: Jan. 11, 1987
Date of death: Unknown

Contact: San Mateo County Coroner's Office at (650) 312-5562

Reference case number #87-37

Do you recognize any of these Bay Area John and Jane Does?

Last edited:
Case listed on local police force website:

Date:
January 11, 1987
Victim:
Jane Doe

The body of an unknown female adult was
discovered in the bushes on Bruno Avenue
near Vale Street. The victim is a Caucasian
female, between 25-30 years of age.
She was 5 foot 3 inches tall, 99 pounds,
with dark brown hair and brown eyes.
She was wearing a gray jacket, lavender
hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, and brown shoes.
It appears the woman was strangled to death.

Unsolved Crimes

Case listed on coroner's website:

JANE DOE # 1 / CASE # 87-37

40099561387-37_web_0.gif

On January 11, 1987, at approximately 1701 hours, passerby discovered the fully dressed remains of a young female (possibly transient) in the bushes in front of 198 Bruno Street, Daly City. The remains bore no means of identification. Found in the decedent's possession was:
  • a partially labeled prescription container bearing the name "Long's Drug" in Concord;
  • a matchbook with a "Vern's" insignia; and
  • a smoked Winstons cigarette.
Descripton of Remains:

Sex: Female
Race: Caucasian
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Straight, dark brown with seborrhea
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 99 lbs.
Clothing:
  • "Windy Weather" jacket, gray colored with hood and fleece lining
  • "Eyes Stopper" blue jeans
  • Blue velour sweater
  • Gray pullover (New York)
  • Hooded lavender sweatshirt
  • Blue underwear
  • 1pair brown socks
  • 1 pair black socks
  • 1 pair white socks
  • 1 pair brown lace-up shoes
Jewelry: None
Distinguishing marks or tattoos: Appendectomy scar

JANE DOE # 1 / CASE # 87-37 | Coroner

Last edited:
Published November 9, 2011
Police looking for serial killer link to Daly City cold case slaying

Police are looking into whether the 24-year-old cold-case slaying of a woman whose identity remains a mystery could have been committed by suspected serial killer Joseph Naso.

After news of Naso’s arrest spread in April, Daly City police Detective Gregg Oglesby noticed similarities between the unsolved killing of a woman found along a roadside and the alleged victims of Naso.
---
Police say his four known victims were prostitutes who had been strangled in the 1970s and 1990s. The four women — Roxene Roggasch, Pamela Parsons, Carmen Colon and Tracy Tafoya — were found dumped in rural areas around Northern California.
---
Oglesby said in the coming months he will send all the physical evidence from Jane Doe’s 1987 killing to the San Mateo County crime lab for testing. If DNA not belonging to the victim is found, the detective will use that evidence to get a subpoena for Naso’s DNA.

Police looking for serial killer link to Daly City cold case slaying – The Mercury News

Kimberly is on the ruleouts.

There are 72 ruleouts total, with some duplicates--I need to clean up and post the updated list.

Kimberly is on the ruleouts.

There are 72 ruleouts total, with some duplicates--I need to clean up and post the updated list.

yea that was awhile ago. looks like she was compared which is good.

This is a sad and strange case. Maybe the DNA Doe Project could take it on.

This is a bizarre case. The forced OD and strangling are strange. It is quite possible the UID had a history of mental health issues and failed suicide attempts. She could have also had an equally unstable partner. Suicide attempts can be extremely stressful for partners resulting in caregiver burnout. Especially if a repeat pattern. I wonder if she started taking pills and the partner snapped. You want to die, fine...I am sure you catch the drift. She could have started the process, the partner ended it.

Also, how expensive were those drugs in 1980's? They were not cheap.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett
Back