CA CA - Dane Elkins, 21, UC Santa Cruz student, vehicle found Castaic area, 20 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I doubt the campground sighting was some kid screwing around (although...I understand why you said that). I say it because so many people around Lake Isabella live there permanently, rotating through campgrounds, without internet.

At any rate, it's the only lead that I find meaningful. At the same time, Lake Isabella is very hot, very rough, and has lots of people who could be described as homeless. There's not a lot of hiking right there, there's a narrow river gorge (low flow right now) and a warm lake with boaters who party. Let's just say that if I wanted to hang out and score certain drugs, that's a place I might consider. OTOH, lots of people just CROWD there when it's hot like it has been recently.

I worry that someone else has his ID, that insufficient numbers of people have gone to Lake Isabella to check this lead out, etc (it truly is a packed area of people who all look a lot the same - hot, in sandals and shorts, approximately Dane's age, etc).

Someone needs to put Missing Signs up there. But it is not in a city, it's a rather remote area...
I imagine his family is worried that posters might scare him away. If he’s in the midst of a mental breakdown and/or in a near constant state of paranoia, they are probably right to worry. Even if the family locates Dane, there’s really not much they can do to help him if he doesn’t want to be helped. Unless he poses an immediate risk of harm to himself or others, they can’t force him to seek medical treatment. This precarious situation is such a sad tightrope walk for his family.

In the event they discover his location, their best viable option may just be to monitor his whereabouts (keep an eye on him as much as possible) without his knowledge and just try to weather and wait out this mental episode. If he has a moment of clarity, swoop in and hopefully get him the help he needs. If his mental state only worsens, swoop in as soon as he exhibits behavior that suggests he’s a danger to himself/others and petition the court for an emergency medical hold. I know this is easier said than done, but I’m not sure what more they can do at this point.

It’s a really, really tough situation. My heart breaks for Dane’s mom.

JUN 21, 2021
Search continues for Dane Elkins six months after his disappearance | KGET 17
[...]

Born and raised in the Southern California community of Brentwood, the UC Santa Cruz engineering student was reported missing near I-5 and Templin highway north of Castaic on Dec. 21 of last year. Los Angeles police say Elkins’ car was found abandoned in that area; his phone, computer, and other belongings were found inside the vehicle.

[...]

“We want to find him. We want to help him and be there for him” said DE of her son. “He’s a wonderful brother and son. He’s just suffering from what unfortunately many people suffer from — mental illness — especially with the pandemic. And we want to help him. We love him. We know he’s out there, and we just want to find him to support him.”

[...]

I imagine his mom wants little more than to see actual, definitive, photographic evidence that her son exists. She seems like a very rational, loving, hopeful, mother. Dane seems like the kind of kid I might have befriended when I was his age. I hope he is ok and will call home soon.

Mom believes he made contact with people in Oakdale, CA. Still heading towards Oregon.

Yes, it was mentioned he wanted to head towards Oregon when he first went missing. However that was 6 months ago, and he hasn't got there yet.

He could easily hitchhike there. Oregon is only the next state up, so why do we think he's spending so long in California and not heading to his intended destination?

Have his plans changed? He's happy in CA? Something's keeping him there, which is good, as it's his home state.

Wow this case is eerily similar to the Bryce Lapisa Case, in 2013, his vehicle also found abandoned in Caustic with lap top etc, left behind. He still has not been found and he was having some mental issues or under the influence of drugs. Prayers for both families.

OCT 6, 2021
Police say red-bearded man breaking into Mendocino Coast homes is dangerous. Neighbors aren’t so sure (pressdemocrat.com)
[...]

Evers has only been spotted on sporadic occasions fleeing property in the shroud of darkness or in grainy surveillance images that have drawn comparisons to the search for Bigfoot. Perhaps the best-documented sighting occurred Aug. 30 when a woman who was tending to a horse found Evers taking vegetables from a garden on Middle Ridge Road in Albion.

That woman described him as hungry and embarrassed.

[...]

As Evers’ notoriety spread, theories and rumors have too.

Several months ago, Sheriff’s officials tried to debunk one of them on Facebook, saying that they contacted the family of UC Santa Cruz student Dane Elkins, who disappeared in December, and confirmed he and the burglar are not one and the same.

Elkins is still listed as missing in the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System database.

[...]

Eight years of Dateline's Missing in America: 169 still missing

dane_elkins_cropped.png

UC Santa Cruz student Dane Elkins, 21, was last known to be in the area of Castaic, California, around 8:20 p.m. on December 21, 2020. His car was found abandoned with a flat tire. His wallet and cell phone were located inside, but there was no sign of Dane. Dane’s mother, Deborah, told Dateline she spoke to her son that day. She added that in the days leading up to his disappearance, Dane had become mentally distressed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and that he had been driving back and forth between their home in Brentwood and Santa Cruz, where he is an engineering student. He holds 23 national championships as a racquetball player and holds a black belt in Taekwondo. He also spent hours of his free time helping his mother as a volunteer to feed the homeless population in the Los Angeles area. For the past year, Dane’s family has used social media to reach out to the community for information on his whereabouts. A Facebook group Searching for Dane Elkins and the TikTok account @KindnessMom were launched to help with the search. In recent months, there have been reported sightings of Dane that his mother believes are legitimate and gives her hope that he is still alive. She said that anyone who believes they have spotted someone who might be Dane is encouraged to take a photo of the individual and send it to searchingfordaneelkins@gmail.com, which will allow the family to better determine if it actually could be Dane before passing it along to investigators. Dane is described as being 5’11” tall and weighing 170 lbs. He has brown hair and green eyes. His family said he had facial hair in the days before his disappearance. Anyone with information on his location is urged to call the LAPD’s Missing Persons Unit at (213) 996-1800. During non-business hours or on weekends, calls should be directed to 1-877-LAPD-24-7 (877-527-3247). Anyone wishing to remain anonymous should call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477).

Eight years of Dateline's Missing in America: 169 still missing

dane_elkins_cropped.png

UC Santa Cruz student Dane Elkins, 21, was last known to be in the area of Castaic, California, around 8:20 p.m. on December 21, 2020. His car was found abandoned with a flat tire. His wallet and cell phone were located inside, but there was no sign of Dane. Dane’s mother, Deborah, told Dateline she spoke to her son that day. She added that in the days leading up to his disappearance, Dane had become mentally distressed due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and that he had been driving back and forth between their home in Brentwood and Santa Cruz, where he is an engineering student. He holds 23 national championships as a racquetball player and holds a black belt in Taekwondo. He also spent hours of his free time helping his mother as a volunteer to feed the homeless population in the Los Angeles area. For the past year, Dane’s family has used social media to reach out to the community for information on his whereabouts. A Facebook group Searching for Dane Elkins and the TikTok account @KindnessMom were launched to help with the search. In recent months, there have been reported sightings of Dane that his mother believes are legitimate and gives her hope that he is still alive. She said that anyone who believes they have spotted someone who might be Dane is encouraged to take a photo of the individual and send it to searchingfordaneelkins@gmail.com, which will allow the family to better determine if it actually could be Dane before passing it along to investigators. Dane is described as being 5’11” tall and weighing 170 lbs. He has brown hair and green eyes. His family said he had facial hair in the days before his disappearance. Anyone with information on his location is urged to call the LAPD’s Missing Persons Unit at (213) 996-1800. During non-business hours or on weekends, calls should be directed to 1-877-LAPD-24-7 (877-527-3247). Anyone wishing to remain anonymous should call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477).

Thank you for posting.

Dane Bryan Elkins – The Charley Project

elkins_dane.jpg

• Missing Since 12/14/2020
  • Missing From Los Angeles, California
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 04/08/1999 (22)
  • Age 21 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'11, 170 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A t-shirt, blue Ektelon pants, and shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Elkins was last seen in Los Angeles, California on December 14, 2020. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

Bumping up for Dane. I saw his case mentioned on another site.
Is it surprising that he hasn't come to the attention of law enforcement yet, with an ongoing untreated mental health condition?

I hope he's located safe very soon.

Bumping up for Dane. I saw his case mentioned on another site.
Is it surprising that he hasn't come to the attention of law enforcement yet, with an ongoing untreated mental health condition?

I hope he's located safe very soon.
Law enforcement knows he’s missing. He’s an adult, so there’s not anything they can do about his mental health, even if they do locate him. My theory on his taking off is that he’s been under his parent’s thumb all his life and it was time for a change.

Editing to add: the way his mother requests any leads be emailed to her so she can decide if the lead should be passed on to investigators is telling, imo.

Law enforcement knows he’s missing. He’s an adult, so there’s not anything they can do about his mental health, even if they do locate him. My theory on his taking off is that he’s been under his parent’s thumb all his life and it was time for a change.

Editing to add: the way his mother requests any leads be emailed to her so she can decide if the lead should be passed on to investigators is telling, imo.

I have heard of LE bringing in "missing persons" they locate who need help for an evaluation. I just hope they would do everything they could to help someone.

I could see a parent asking for tips to be forwarded to LE and also to them, if they don't trust LE to follow through. (I don't know anything about this particular case.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RMN0406
Back