CA CA - Daphne Webb, 21 mos, Oakland, 10 July 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Would love for that to be true, but find it extremely unlikely. Imo, he didn't seem to care that she was living on the streets with her mom. AFAIK, he wasn't trying to get full custody of Daphne. I doubt he was the one who called CPS.

How do we know he didn't mind her living on the streets or that he wasn't trying to get custody? Is there an article on this and I just missed it?

I don't feel it's very likely, either, but one can hope.

Thanks for posting this video.

People keep asking who would nab a baby in a car with an adult in it. The only thing I can come up with is someone who knows the dad and his mother, or certainly knows the situation. Plus, if grandma knows this person and baby knows this person, it probably wouldn't be a big deal to take the baby out of the car for either the grandma or the baby.

If that scenario isn't plausible at all, then I have to think the dad has something to do with it. I hate to say it, I hate to think it, but what else could it be.

JVM's video certainly makes me question the dad more. Daphne's maternal grandfather says he doesn't believe dad story and has pretty convincing idea to back it up. Worth a watch if you can.

I agree. What happened to all the news coverage? I know Oakland has a lot of crime, but this is a baby!

The new website (as opposed to the Facebook site) is www.findbabydaphnew.com and only has pictures from when Daphne was vey little. While I agree that they are adorable pictures of the sweet baby, it may also be helpful to have more recent pictures with her natural hair. She is 21 months now and is walking. Doesn't make sense to me. I'd also have the latest pictures of the dad and even the grandmother & SUV that they were in. JMO

The site is findbabydaphne.com ...just FYI because the link above was broken. :seeya:

I agree. What happened to all the news coverage? I know Oakland has a lot of crime, but this is a baby!

Sadly there never was much coverage. I'm afraid that when the public questions the stories being told or the lack there of, interest quickly fades. It's so sad, because regardless of what is going on with everyone else around her, she is still missing.

Sadly there never was much coverage. I'm afraid that when the public questions the stories being told or the lack there of, interest quickly fades. It's so sad, because regardless of what is going on with everyone else around her, she is still missing.

I was thinking about this, and wondering if the issue was partly because people see I as "just a family problem." Just from listening to people (no link or evidence here) it seems like a lot of people assume that the situation isn't as serious or that it will "get sorted out" when you start talking about parental involvement...like the child is not really in danger the same way she would be if disappeared by a non-relative. I also feel like part of what keeps many people's interest in a missing-person case is that they relate it to themselves or their family - eg., you want to know what happened because you want to be more vigilant about your own or your family's safety. If it seems obvious though that a parent disappeared his own daughter though, that's not gonna affect you the same way because you feel like while it is sad, it doesn't have repercussions for your everyday activities. Not saying everyone feels this way, just some things I have noticed in listening to people around me who don't follow crime the way we at WS do.

I have also sometimes wondered if when there is the doubt about the events surrounding the person's disappearance, it takaes away from what people feel like they can do to help. It is pretty manageable IMOO to keep your eyes open for a child wearing a specific outfit or who is likely to be in a specific area at or around a specific time. If people hear it on a morning newscast, for example, they might forget about the details as they go about their day, but at least for a while they have the feeling like, "Oh, look for a bright orange kid's top, I can do that." Or when being asked to recall, it is easier if they're asked to call in if they saw something at a specific time period in a given location. Just speculation on my part about things that draw people in.

I'm a pessimist but I don't think the amount of continued news coverage matters that much in many of these cases if the baby is not alive any more. Hopefully the initial coverage reaches the people who may have important information about the movements of the parent or other person who disappeared the child but if no one reports seeing anything suspicious it could be that no one saw anything and more coverage won't change that. If the child has possibly been missing for weeks before being reported the parent has had plenty of time to ditch a black trash bag in the still of the night unseen by any prying eyes and there's not even any reliable clothes description for people to keep an eye out for. Hopefully if someone finds a child's body they will report it regardless of whether they know about any missing children in the area.

My husband and I were talking about cleaning out some stuff that has accumulated in our yard yesterday and I asked if we should just rent a dumpster and he said no, his friend will let us use a dumptruck to take all the household and construction trash to the dump, and I asked whether they allow household and construction trash to be mixed or will he have to separate it once he's there and he said no, when you bring your own truck they just direct you to the back of the dump and you unload it yourself and drive away and call it a day.

I replied "well now whenever a baby is missing i'm going to have to wonder whether anyone in the family had a dump truck or otherwise takes their construction/etc trash to the dump themselves.... and on top of THAT, now I have to worry that when LE searches a part of a dump based on the address they know the trash was picked up at, that they DON"T also search the area where you dump your OWN trash...."

*sigh*

knowing this now makes me feel just that much more helpless in cases like this in general (no there's no reason to think that's what happened here, I'm just throwing out one more possibility that I never even knew existed until yesterday)..

I'm a pessimist but I don't think the amount of continued news coverage matters that much in many of these cases if the baby is not alive any more. Hopefully the initial coverage reaches the people who may have important information about the movements of the parent or other person who disappeared the child but if no one reports seeing anything suspicious it could be that no one saw anything and more coverage won't change that. If the child has possibly been missing for weeks before being reported the parent has had plenty of time to ditch a black trash bag in the still of the night unseen by any prying eyes and there's not even any reliable clothes description for people to keep an eye out for. Hopefully if someone finds a child's body they will report it regardless of whether they know about any missing children in the area.

Omigosh! Yes I would hope so too. Of course! :blushing: I guess I got caught up rambling...I guess I was thinking more of individual items that wouldn't be so obvious. I kind of had in mind the sort of thing where police would say, "Somebody saw something, they might not even realize it but someone holds the key." You know? An example would be that I used to run along semi-rural mountain roads where my parents lived, at least once and often twice daily. People sometimes used these back roads as party sites and I often saw litter alongside the street. I even saw a tattered workboot once, and sometimes faded or torn t-shirts. If the cops had been looking for clues along any of those roads I could've told them some good stuff! But of course most of the time I'd have forgotten about it by the time I was cleaned up from my run because I had no reason to think about it, it all faded into the background. But if there'd been something along those roads to be found, I would've been your girl. And there are people like me everywhere I think. So that's kind of the scenario I had in mind. Shoot...rambling again...:facepalm:

Omigosh! Yes I would hope so too. Of course! :blushing: I guess I got caught up rambling...I guess I was thinking more of individual items that wouldn't be so obvious. I kind of had in mind the sort of thing where police would say, "Somebody saw something, they might not even realize it but someone holds the key." You know? An example would be that I used to run along semi-rural mountain roads where my parents lived, at least once and often twice daily. People sometimes used these back roads as party sites and I often saw litter alongside the street. I even saw a tattered workboot once, and sometimes faded or torn t-shirts. If the cops had been looking for clues along any of those roads I could've told them some good stuff! But of course most of the time I'd have forgotten about it by the time I was cleaned up from my run because I had no reason to think about it, it all faded into the background. But if there'd been something along those roads to be found, I would've been your girl. And there are people like me everywhere I think. So that's kind of the scenario I had in mind. Shoot...rambling again...:facepalm:

Very true...

LE probably needs to be able to narrow it down in some manner to increase their chance of getting relevant tips IMO. If it's like this where the timeline is wide open, there is no suspected cause of death known, not the faintest idea where she could be or what evidence is missing, no idea where the father might have been at the time, other than the places where the police searched and didn't find anything it's rather difficult. It's hard for anyone to know what could possibly be related or of interest for the police, and the more time passes the more difficult it will be for anyone to realize that they saw something that relates to Daphne's disappearance if there is nothing specific to look for and if they saw the father somewhere their memories have faded and the longer it's been the harder it will be for them to date the sighting or even be sure if it was him. That's why I think the amount of the initial coverage is the most important because if witnesses come forward with sightings weeks or months or years later their testimony will be more unreliable.

It's easier for people to narrow it down when the timeline is tighter and the child was known to be alive shortly before being reported missing. Also the chances are that the perp didn't have as much time to come up with a perfect crime and may have been sloppier and left more evidence for people to find.

All the news coverage probably does help a few children such as Caylee be found if it inspires people to search in places that would otherwise be out of their way but I'm afraid that a number of these missing babies are at the landfill and no one searches there.

When Hasanni disappeared, I contacted the Front Office of the Oakland Athletics baseball team. I told them that little Hasanni was missing, sent his details and his picture (and NCMEC poster), and asked if they wouldn't mind putting him up on the big screen / jumbotron at some point during some upcoming games. They agreed.

I'll contact them again for Daphne.

I don't know why we don't do this more often. NOT an e-mailing "campaign" by any means. But just having one person contact any major sports teams in the area a child is missing. We always think of post offices, gas stations, bus stops, restaurants, etc. But professional sports leagues (even minor leagues) could get their information out too. What's the worst that can happen? They say no or ignore it. Not any worse off than we were before... I'll let you know if I hear back.

What a brilliant idea shewhomustnotbenamed.
I wonder if it's also possible to include a short message and photo on the information videos used in airports, ferries, etc., especially here in the Pacific Northwest where the Coho and other ferries are so busy.
I've seen posters of missing children on bulletin boards, but haven't noticed anything on the screens.

I think it'd be harder to do with airports and ferries, as they're government agencies. I think any requests would have to come from way higher up the chain as they have such strict protocol and requirements.

I'm wondering about PSAs before Canucks, Ducks, Lions, etc. etc. games for the pros and for the university games as well. Repetition can't be a bad thing for such an important message as asking people to watch out for an endangered child.
I hope you have good luck with your plans for Daphne.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchase3400
Back