CA CA - Derek Seehausen, 26, USC med student, Glendale, 5 Aug 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It was a funny face, we were debating putting the picture up because it does look odd. He didn't seem off at all beforehand, and had dinner a few hours before with a friend that was very normal. We have about 5-6 other friends that saw him on campus that same day he disappeared and everyone was shocked. They talked about how they discussed career plans, etc.

OK good. Looks like we've tentatively ruled out SPMI. Next on the list would be motivations, both external and internal.

Other than an inheritance of wonderlust or a walkabout, what would motivate him to take off like this? Especially right in the middle of his studies and training to doing something he really wanted to do.

Something happened that night. He had to have thought about it to return the keys and pay back the money. But I wonder how far in advance? He may have thought about it in a general way for a long time before actually deciding to do it. But something got to him that night and his usual self hasn't come back yet or he'd be back. I mean it's not just a passing thing that lasted a day or two, but weeks now. kwim?

Derek has been described as super intelligent and very resourceful. Also, as was mentioned above, he has a somewhat 'average' look to him (he is good looking but nothing extremely distinct about his features). If he wanted to, I believe he could start a new life as a new person/identity. I don't necessarily think that was in his mind when he left, but if he stays gone a while and ends up feeling like he can't come back then his plan could evolve into something like that for the long-term. IDK if Derek would ever feel compelled to do that, but we have certainly seen people with much less intelligence accomplish it.

The PI at the press conference stated Derek bought milk (and cereal) prior to going missing. The milk and cereal were found in his home. The cereal had been opened and some had been eaten, but the milk had not. It does seem that even at the beginning of the evening he hadn't planned to do this (at least not to do it that day). Seems to me like the decision was made sometime after returning to his apartment that night.

Here's what gets really odd

1) He bought the milk and cereal in the SAME trip to Vons at 10:40pm where he withdrew the $200
2) He then left the milk at home, never opened.

Here's what gets really odd

1) He bought the milk and cereal in the SAME trip to Vons at 10:40pm where he withdrew the $200
2) He then left the milk at home, never opened.

Yes, that has bothered me. No matter how I think of it...can't make it "fit." That is where I have gone to a very sudden decision on his part, but I just can't grasp it...

Not much off limits here

1) google chrome history wiped out
2) google documents edit made with password column changed. ( presumably so we could access the accounts)

One thing I know for sure, this guy is beyond blessed with wonderful, loyal, smart and caring friends! I pray he is found alive and well.

Of some other cases where someone has taken off, they later said that family is what drew them back. They thought they wanted a break, to leave but home and all things familiar crept back into their heads, no matter how hard they tried to forget it. Hopefully, this will happen with Derek, he will miss the people in his life and decide he can't live without them and come back.

Not much off limits here

1) google chrome history wiped out
2) google documents edit made with password column changed. ( presumably so we could access the accounts)

Wow, the mystery just deepens. Okay, next question will definitely seem "girlie": Is there any chance he got a phone call from a girl that upset him? That seems so lame, even as I type it...

Wow, the mystery just deepens. Okay, next question will definitely seem "girlie": Is there any chance he got a phone call from a girl that upset him? That seems so lame, even as I type it...

Regarding girls:

1) Broke up w girlfriend in May, but they only dated 4 months, and he broke up with her (they fought a lot). However, like any relationship, he had a tough time immediately after. But nothing out of the ordinary. She had not talked to him since the breakup, and I can confirm they did not talk for months.

2) Was going on Tinder dates, and been meeting girls and getting numbers with neighbors' party the previous weekend and told me that "I really feel back in the game"

3) He had been texting with the sister of one of his classmates. We asked her, they did not have anything romantic going on. Even so, they had only been chatting a week or so.

Tinder scares me a little, but I saw on the AMA that you have checked his Tinder messages and I assume saw nothing of note.

I assume part of checking out the financials was a credit check to ensure no new credit cards have been or were opened that could not be accounted for?

This sounds like something out of a corny movie... but if there were any notepads or notebooks at his home that he could have jotted down some notes on before leaving it could be worth checking. I mean a page that he would have pulled out to take with him. Possible to see some impressions on the page underneath that would be left behind? Again, a long shot. Most people take notes on the iPhone, get directions on the iPhone, and of course have everyone's ph# and e-mails stored in the iPhone. He didn't take the phone, but possibly there were some pieces of information he wanted to take with him and thus.. paper?

Regarding girls:

1) Broke up w girlfriend in May, but they only dated 4 months, and he broke up with her (they fought a lot). However, like any relationship, he had a tough time immediately after. But nothing out of the ordinary. She had not talked to him since the breakup, and I can confirm they did not talk for months.

2) Was going on Tinder dates, and been meeting girls and getting numbers with neighbors' party the previous weekend and told me that "I really feel back in the game"

3) He had been texting with the sister of one of his classmates. We asked her, they did not have anything romantic going on. Even so, they had only been chatting a week or so.

All of that also seems in the norm of experiences...hard to get into anyone's head, but none of that strikes me as alarming.

I don't know, but this just almost seems like an "I-am-restless-and-feel-rather-caged-and-must-break-free" moment...except that the moment maybe got away from him. Could it have been something impulsive like that, and he feels embarrassed to come back from? Do you know what I mean? I know his typical personality is so responsible...but sometimes those who have had that "ultra responsible role" all their lives, well it can just build up and come out in funny ways sometimes...

Do you know if he had any 'get out of here' books, or a fascination with such, a la Into the Wild and what not?

Would he be the type to think "I want to come home but everyone is going to kill me" and that's what's keeping him away now? Once he realizes how many people are hurt by him leaving and how many people love him and are worried about it, would he feel bad enough to not know how to come back?

I know it was asked before but I didn't see an answer, did his father have any type of MI? Something that could have been hereditary, something that could have made him replicate the "take off" behavior? I'm also thinking he may have grown up hearing the stories of his father leaving and all his adventures and secretly desired to have one of his own?

Do you know if he had any 'get out of here' books, or a fascination with such, a la Into the Wild and what not?

We talked about it. Mostly in a fantasizing kind of way. Have you ever thought about picking up and leaving? I have. Don't most people?

Would he be the type to think "I want to come home but everyone is going to kill me" and that's what's keeping him away now? Once he realizes how many people are hurt by him leaving and how many people love him and are worried about it, would he feel bad enough to not know how to come back?

I know it was asked before but I didn't see an answer, did his father have any type of MI? Something that could have been hereditary, something that could have made him replicate the "take off" behavior? I'm also thinking he may have grown up hearing the stories of his father leaving and all his adventures and secretly desired to have one of his own?

Ok I'm new here, so please forgive my ignorance, but why is there so much interest in MI? Like Myocardial Infarction? Can someone explain the link?

We talked about it. Mostly in a fantasizing kind of way. Have you ever thought about picking up and leaving? I have. Don't most people?

Oh absolutely. I was just wondering if it became a preoccupation of sorts. I'm hoping to gather insights into his last three or so weeks of thinking before he left. Every seemingly benign nuance could hold a clue.

Ok I'm new here, so please forgive my ignorance, but why is there so much interest in MI? Like Myocardial Infarction? Can someone explain the link?

MI = Mental Illness. SPMI = Severe and persistent mental illness (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, etc.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back