CA CA - Diane Dye, 13, San Jose, 30 July 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The following now is just my opinion:

I believe Doug was involved in some way. Possibly steering her into prostitution, drugs, crime. Possibly harming her because she witnessed things and he was worried she'd talk. Possibly was with her until his arrest, at which point she was left with his unsavory friends.

I just think there's some link there. It would fit with both the mountains and the sightings in Diane's neighborhood because Doug lived in the mountains and his parents were on Diane's street. I'm thinking it's possible that he was bringing her back and forth but she was hanging out elsewhere in the neighborhood while he visited his parents. Until he got arrested, anyway... then ???

Lots of possibilities.

Lavendermoon, I wanted to thank you again so much for bringing that to us and if it turns out that Doug couldn't be involved, I'd want to look into it more. I hope you'll continue to stick around and see what, if anything, ever develops.

Not sure if there is a difference between prostitution & human trafficking but I personally prefer human trafficking. A kid Diane's age isn't mature enough to make a decision to do something like that & couldn't get herself out of it if it happened.

We didn't have dating laws back then like we do now. Possible he was dating her back then. I knew a few girls 13/14 dating college guys.

I don't think kids these days can even imagine how things used to be. Times were way different; drugs in general were safer. Things that people used to do back then can't be done now. CPS would be taking kids away. People used to sell pot in school & smoke it in the print shop dark room. People used to smoke cigarettes in school bathrooms; I don't think kids would get away with lighting one anywhere on school property these days. Heck we used to be able to go to a store to buy cigarettes saying they're for a parent which can't be done now.
At age 13 and all through my teen years I was able to buy cigarettes at any store I went to with no questions asked. From age 14 on, I was frequently able to buy my own beer.

Mr. Ringgold
I don't think you should feel bad for letting Diane get high with you. Was it a bad experience at the time? At some point since 1979 you started believing marijuana was bad. It is not (though there are certain instances where it could be harmful, such as schizophrenia).
Is there any way to find out who Doug Young's probation officer was? Maybe he could remember some detail (an address, someone mentioning Diane, someone Doug hung out with that might be involved). It seems as if Doug's parents knew he was trouble. I wonder if they might point you in a direction of who he hung but with, etc. (but would be awkward to ask them).
Diane was lucky to have you as a friend. You didn't make the choice to run away or hang out with shady guys. She did. She made bad decisions, because she was sad, and she was just a kid.
What would happen if you just knocked on her dad's door and/or the Mom's ex's door and said, "Hi! I considered both Diane and Dean to be my family. I brought you some fruit and wine. I want to find Diane, because I can't abandon her and part of me is stuck in 1979. Can I have 1 hour to look in the attic or garage for pictures?"
I mean, what else can you do at this point? What direction could you go in? You need some pictures to show people or a note she wrote in the weeks before her disappearance or a rumor about an old house they hung out in.
Anyways, all of this is JMO. Sorry, this post is quite pushy. I am glad you are doing this for Diane. Should I ever go missing, I hope I have a friend like you.
Has anyone ever talked to the mom's bf that was there? He was an adult and could remember something.

The mom's boyfriend is deceased. He was talked to back during the Princess Doe investigation, that was when he said he heard her go out the garage door, etc.

I have spoken with Doug's probation officer, he did not remember any girls being associated with Doug. Doug was only with him from May 1979 until he got arrested again some time in July or August 1979, that is the date I am still trying to pin down.

Diane's father is still alive and Ted has spoken with him a few times. He doesn't know anything more than we do, Diane's parents were going through a divorce and he was already moved out by that time.

There has been and still is some preliminary discussion about having someone go to the prison and talk to Doug. He hasn't been talked to in 30 years and I think it's possible that he would talk if he knew what happened to her. He was one who liked to talk and brag about things, though some of it was clearly fabricated.

It is complicated though because he is serving life in prison without parole so he doesn't have much to lose, but there is still the death penalty if he were to confess to killing her and that would be a good reason for him not to talk. If he did harm her, we have no idea what jurisdiction it would have happened in so no way to even agree to not pursue the DP. We have no control over that or any ability to give him any incentive to talk.

We've discussed Ted going and talking to him, having a professional PI or attorney go, or possibly even asking one of Doug's family members to do it. Her family just wants to know where she is, he is not getting out so I don't think anyone is all that concerned with him being prosecuted.

Also, from what I understand, unless it is a family or friend type visit, it would need to be cleared through his attorney. The only attorney info I have is from 1983 so who knows if that's even the right person or if he's even practicing anymore. That would be another complication in having a professional go.

This is all on hold at the moment until we can be sure he wasn't in jail when she went missing. This arrest date has been a huge headache to try to obtain, though it shouldn't be. And it's a huge piece of the puzzle. I am once again waiting for a response to a detailed request. For this same reason, I have not contacted any of Doug's family or friends yet because it would be a waste if he can be ruled out. I don't want to bother them for nothing, his family seems to be good, decent people.

With the new knowledge that Diane didn't leave for the final time until after 10pm, I'm leaning toward the idea that she had made arrangements with someone earlier in the day and was sitting on the porch waiting for someone to pick her up. It now seems less likely to me that she just went walking off into the darkness, though it is still possible.

There has been and still is some preliminary discussion about having someone go to the prison and talk to Doug. He hasn't been talked to in 30 years and I think it's possible that he would talk if he knew what happened to her. He was one who liked to talk and brag about things, though some of it was clearly fabricated.

It is complicated though because he is serving life in prison without parole so he doesn't have much to lose, but there is still the death penalty if he were to confess to killing her and that would be a good reason for him not to talk. If he did harm her, we have no idea what jurisdiction it would have happened in so no way to even agree to not pursue the DP. We have no control over that or any ability to give him any incentive to talk.

We've discussed Ted going and talking to him, having a professional PI or attorney go, or possibly even asking one of Doug's family members to do it. Her family just wants to know where she is, he is not getting out so I don't think anyone is all that concerned with him being prosecuted.

Also, from what I understand, unless it is a family or friend type visit, it would need to be cleared through his attorney. The only attorney info I have is from 1983 so who knows if that's even the right person or if he's even practicing anymore. That would be another complication in having a professional go.

If he remains in contact with his family, and their willing, it may be easier going through them. If they aren't then write a letter to him. My understanding is an application form initiated by the inmate needs to be completed and approved prior to any visitation. http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Ombuds/visiting.html

This is all on hold at the moment until we can be sure he wasn't in jail when she went missing. This arrest date has been a huge headache to try to obtain, though it shouldn't be. And it's a huge piece of the puzzle. I am once again waiting for a response to a detailed request. For this same reason, I have not contacted any of Doug's family or friends yet because it would be a waste if he can be ruled out. I don't want to bother them for nothing, his family seems to be good, decent people.

With the new knowledge that Diane didn't leave for the final time until after 10pm, I'm leaning toward the idea that she had made arrangements with someone earlier in the day and was sitting on the porch waiting for someone to pick her up. It now seems less likely to me that she just went walking off into the darkness, though it is still possible.
Odyssey, I have been told that because arrest records are public information, one may go to the courthouse in the county where the arrest was made and request those records. I was told there is a fee of about ten dollars.

Yes, that is how it should be but for some reason they keep sending me the wrong information. I've requested it multiple times and they have sent me a document showing when he was charged in that case (not necessarily the same as the arrest date), and they have sent me something on an arrest in 1980 which had nothing to do with what I was asking for.

I have read some court testimony about it but it did not say exactly when he was arrested. It had the info about the stolen goods and the probation officer reporting it on 7/25, then that incorrect document they later sent me said he was charged on 8/13.

I was told the court may not have it, and that I should try the arresting agency - so I now have a request in to the sheriff's department who has jurisdiction in the Coyote area, and am waiting again. It would be easier if I still lived there and could go search myself, but unfortunately I don't. :(

Odyssey
Thanks for the concise and thorough updates!
Ted's posts and obvious distress made me care about Diane. I'm glad she has the two of you on her side.

I gave that necklace to her. She made a friendship bracelet for me in return. I wore it permanently after she ran away until it wasted away and fell off in 1986. She did smoke pot with us sometimes, but for the most part we would not let her partake with us except once in awhile. We were very foolish to have let her do it at all. But hey we were about 16 years old. We were still stupid kids too. I had the impression she did not like weed that much. Sometimes though she just seemed to like the whole stoner look, bell bottom jeans. She had brown cords that were bell bottoms she wore all the time. I can hardly remember her wearing regular jeans for that matter
Gotta love the stoner look. Mmm...nostalgia; chokers, navy surplus jeans, waffle stompers. I used to wear a feathered roach-clip in my hair. Oh, wait. I still do. :)

I don't think kids these days can even imagine how things used to be. Times were way different; drugs in general were safer. Things that people used to do back then can't be done now. CPS would be taking kids away. People used to sell pot in school & smoke it in the print shop dark room. People used to smoke cigarettes in school bathrooms; I don't think kids would get away with lighting one anywhere on school property these days. Heck we used to be able to go to a store to buy cigarettes saying they're for a parent which can't be done now.

Yea you speak the truth. I remember a friend and I used to walk along the creek bed near Santa Teresa and pic wild growing Belladonna, we read about it in High Times. You could dry this stuff out and smoke it and it would get you high as hell. Good for dry spells when no one had any weed. Hydroponics were a big deal back then. Teens everywhere were growing their own little stash in the their closets, so did I. It was crazy as hell back then. I remember on time I went to this apartment in the complex where Dean Diane and their mom lived before they moved. Dean and I and some others went. This guy had his entire apartment living room turned into a giant smoking device. I mean this thing was a maze of endless PVC pipes and cables and mouth pieces for multiple smokers. And a bowl the size of a spindle of 100 compact discs. Totally nuts. One time we were driving down this hillside in a car and the friend who was driving drove off the side of the road and into a ditch and the car ended up on it's side. We were so high we were all laughing endlessly. Laying in that car. The cops came and though they were mad they send us all home on foot and no one even got in trouble or had to go to jail. Another time we decided to go at 1 am to this little ampitheater at this small elementary school. We set up our band equipment (we were a wannabe rock band) and we started jamming. I mean drums, bass guitar, everything as loud as we could. The cops showed up and we stopped playing. This one cop asked 'What the hell do you think you are doing?" And one of us said "Uh...practicing for a Gig' He was looking down and rubbing his face and shaking his head back and fourth. He said "What is happening to the youth of this world?. Do me a favor. Pack it up and "Gig" your selves out of here". That is just a tiny bit of many things crazy we did and got away with back then that no one could nowadays. So yea I know exactly what you mean. We were some really stupid kids. But I have to admit I still think fondly on a lot of it, even if I am just a boring yuppy now ::drumroll:

Mr. Ringgold
I don't think you should feel bad for letting Diane get high with you. Was it a bad experience at the time? At some point since 1979 you started believing marijuana was bad. It is not (though there are certain instances where it could be harmful, such as schizophrenia).
Is there any way to find out who Doug Young's probation officer was? Maybe he could remember some detail (an address, someone mentioning Diane, someone Doug hung out with that might be involved). It seems as if Doug's parents knew he was trouble. I wonder if they might point you in a direction of who he hung but with, etc. (but would be awkward to ask them).
Diane was lucky to have you as a friend. You didn't make the choice to run away or hang out with shady guys. She did. She made bad decisions, because she was sad, and she was just a kid.
What would happen if you just knocked on her dad's door and/or the Mom's ex's door and said, "Hi! I considered both Diane and Dean to be my family. I brought you some fruit and wine. I want to find Diane, because I can't abandon her and part of me is stuck in 1979. Can I have 1 hour to look in the attic or garage for pictures?"
I mean, what else can you do at this point? What direction could you go in? You need some pictures to show people or a note she wrote in the weeks before her disappearance or a rumor about an old house they hung out in.
Anyways, all of this is JMO. Sorry, this post is quite pushy. I am glad you are doing this for Diane. Should I ever go missing, I hope I have a friend like you.
Has anyone ever talked to the mom's bf that was there? He was an adult and could remember something.

I still feel bad. I'll explain why in a bit. About weed. It is a fact that can be medically proven that Marijuana is not at all safe as people think it is. There is a lot of evidence obviously that lends to a lot of medicinal friendly uses, but I was a very heavy smoker. One time we all went to the Monsters of Rock in Oakland. It was Rosington Collins, Mahogany Rush, AC/DC, Aerosmith and Ted Nugent. We spent the night on the 880 overpass that leads to Oakland Stadium. It was pretty crazy. Midnight the night before there were hundreds of us up there sharing joints, laughter, making new friends. We had bonfires on that overpass. I am serious. Something you could never get away with nowadays. No one slept, it was just a huge party before the big day. Anyway we rolled over 100 joints before we went. I cannot remember if Diane went with us that night. Anyway we smoked about 70 joints in a 24 hour period that night and through the concert the next day, and gave the rest away to people. 70 joints in 24 hours has to be some kind of record. Anyway I had issues with my brain chemistry for years after I straitened my life out. Of course I did LSD a few times. Did not like it. Lots of other drugs of course. But pot was the one I used the most and it was often extremely habitual. When doctors put me through a myriad of tests in my 20's they connected excessive marijuana use over a long period of time as the damaging factor. Since then I have done many years of research on it and it really is not as safe as some people think it is. There is a lot of information on it for those willing to look into it. Anyone can go on any search engine and search "Medical evidence about the health risks of marijuana". There have been well documented studies conducted by everyone from Harvard medical to the AMA. Marijuana is relatively safe for most people who do not have serious mental problems. But it also has other health risks. In all honestly I am in full support of it for treating medical problems like Glaucoma, or PTSD, cancer, etc. Other than that I am pretty much very anti- marijuana when it comes to habitual use. But it is pretty safe for the causal user. I agree with that. But She was only 13. That is too young to be smoking weed in my judgement anyway.

Doug was someone who creeped me out. There were times I ran into him when he was with people I did not know. He wanted me to hang with them. I always had some excuse. I noticed he was always seeming to run into me when I was with Diane. Sometimes she and I would walk just down the street to McDonalds and hang there for a bit. Doug would show up. But not when it was Diane and me and several other people. It seems like it should be easy to check records to find out who his PO was. SJPD always blew me off, so I can't get any info from them. What can you do?

I was lucky to have her as a friend too. If I had listened to her half the time I could have saved my self a lot of trouble. Yes she was sometimes in a state of wanting to be a rebel teen, but I can tell you there were many times when she would say "Please don't go do that. Just stay here with me. You don't need to get high. We can play Monopoly or watch TV". I could have spent time with her all those times, but no- I just had to go get high. I would tell her "Thanks but I have to go", and I would leave and go get high instead of being there and being a friend for her like I should have been. Maybe if Dean and I had been there for her when she was being a good girl and not rebelling and getting high, maybe she would have never run away. So I don't know how lucky she was to have me as a friend. I was irresponsible. I loved her like my own sister. But I often was not there for her when she asked me to stay. But she did trust me completely. Her mom did too. I was a very kind teen back then. Respectful of adults and just honest and nice. I was the only guy friend their mother would let stay alone with Diane. She trusted me too. And I never betrayed that trust, except she would have killed me if she knew I allowed Diane to smoke pot with us. I failed there. And I failed Diane many other times. She needed me to stay home with her and I often did not stay. So I still feel bad about that. Can't help but feel that way.

I had prayed when I wrote him he would write me back. It was a stupid move. He knows how I blew him off all those years, and now all the sudden I'm his friend? I was blinded by my yearning for answers. Doug is not a stupid man. He knew what I was up to. He knew I wanted to know about Diane. If he knew anything. But then why not write back unless you have something to hide? I still think he knows what happened to her. I just don't see how he couldn't fit into this. I bet he talked her into running away. He was a very smooth talker.

Gotta love the stoner look. Mmm...nostalgia; chokers, navy surplus jeans, waffle stompers. I used to wear a feathered roach-clip in my hair. Oh, wait. I still do. :)

Hey! LOL can you share any images? I have some from back then too I can dig up. Might be funny to see what we all looked like back then :happydance:

Mr. Ringgold
Your memories detailed in posts 116 and 117 really helped me understand how different life was in the seventies. I truly LOVED the stories about the living room smoke-out contraption, the reaction to the flipped car, and the pre-concert bonfires on the overpass. I have laughed to myself 3-4 times about the band practice gig and that poor cop's response. I'm more convinced than ever that I was cheated out of the most memorable decade (was born in early eighties)!
I understand why you feel guilty about not being a great influence on, or always being there for, Diane. When I was a teenager, someone tender and vulnerable reached out to me in a similar way (on many occasions, this was a family member) but I did not recognize it at the time. She needed help, and I know just hanging out with her would have made a HUGE difference. I was a bad role model and way too wrapped up in myself to hear what she was really saying. I still feel guilty.
I had a really crappy life at that time, but my indifference to her is one of my greatest regrets. I have had many years to make amends and watch her build a happy life. And I still feel guilty. If something had happened to her it would have haunted me for the rest of my life. So I understand on an emotional level that you feel guilty (but on a logical/objective level, you were struggling yourself and I hope you can let some of the guilt go).
Also, I agree that heavy, long-term marijuana use could have some very negative effects on brain function and mental health. And 13 is pretty young to get high. I am no expert in marijuana affects, just smoked occasionally when younger and my experience was NBD.
I am alarmed that people actually smoked belladonna in the seventies. I have always been taught how dangerous it is (also monk's hood/digitalis), and the Wiki page reads, "Belladonna is one of the most toxic plants found in the Eastern Hemisphere...Ingestion of a single leaf of the plant can be fatal to an adult." (But it's not like Wikipedia is a medical journal.)
Writing a letter to Doug wasn't stupid. Of course he knew what you wanted. But there isn't a whole lot of movement on the case (that I know of, maybe there is lots of stuff that has been attempted or is being discussed). What else could you do?
I think you should keep writing him (unless it would interfere with other investigations). I think EVERYONE should write him a letter. I think he should get 3-4 a week. And I think people should ask point-blank about Diane. I think you should write him every single memory you have of the entire decade. Send him the picture of her. JMO, of course. I don't know all the details, but that's what I believe based on what I do know.
He's either a psychopath (sociopath), an angry, entitled guy who made huge mistakes, but who still has a conscious that can be appealed to, or innocent. If he's a psychopath, your letter made no difference either way. The only way to get info would be some sort of ruse (in which case we need a profiler to advise!). If he is an angry guy who made mistakes but who still has a conscious, your letter could .have been a reminder of what he knows. And if he is guilty, your letter doesn't matter either way.
I just want to reiterate to other posters that this is JMO and an argument for my perspective, not trying to be a know-it-all or sound like an authority on the best way to proceed.
Anyways, I will continue to think of Diane and pray she is at peace. I would consider donating to any reasonable plan to get more info, btw.
Sutton

I still feel bad. I'll explain why in a bit. About weed. It is a fact that can be medically proven that Marijuana is not at all safe as people think it is. There is a lot of evidence obviously that lends to a lot of medicinal friendly uses, but I was a very heavy smoker. One time we all went to the Monsters of Rock in Oakland. It was Rosington Collins, Mahogany Rush, AC/DC, Aerosmith and Ted Nugent. We spent the night on the 880 overpass that leads to Oakland Stadium. It was pretty crazy. Midnight the night before there were hundreds of us up there sharing joints, laughter, making new friends. We had bonfires on that overpass. I am serious. Something you could never get away with nowadays. No one slept, it was just a huge party before the big day. Anyway we rolled over 100 joints before we went. I cannot remember if Diane went with us that night. Anyway we smoked about 70 joints in a 24 hour period that night and through the concert the next day, and gave the rest away to people. 70 joints in 24 hours has to be some kind of record. Anyway I had issues with my brain chemistry for years after I straitened my life out. Of course I did LSD a few times. Did not like it. Lots of other drugs of course. But pot was the one I used the most and it was often extremely habitual. When doctors put me through a myriad of tests in my 20's they connected excessive marijuana use over a long period of time as the damaging factor. Since then I have done many years of research on it and it really is not as safe as some people think it is. There is a lot of information on it for those willing to look into it. Anyone can go on any search engine and search "Medical evidence about the health risks of marijuana". There have been well documented studies conducted by everyone from Harvard medical to the AMA. Marijuana is relatively safe for most people who do not have serious mental problems. But it also has other health risks. In all honestly I am in full support of it for treating medical problems like Glaucoma, or PTSD, cancer, etc. Other than that I am pretty much very anti- marijuana when it comes to habitual use. But it is pretty safe for the causal user. I agree with that. But She was only 13. That is too young to be smoking weed in my judgement anyway.

Doug was someone who creeped me out. There were times I ran into him when he was with people I did not know. He wanted me to hang with them. I always had some excuse. I noticed he was always seeming to run into me when I was with Diane. Sometimes she and I would walk just down the street to McDonalds and hang there for a bit. Doug would show up. But not when it was Diane and me and several other people. It seems like it should be easy to check records to find out who his PO was. SJPD always blew me off, so I can't get any info from them. What can you do?

I was lucky to have her as a friend too. If I had listened to her half the time I could have saved my self a lot of trouble. Yes she was sometimes in a state of wanting to be a rebel teen, but I can tell you there were many times when she would say "Please don't go do that. Just stay here with me. You don't need to get high. We can play Monopoly or watch TV". I could have spent time with her all those times, but no- I just had to go get high. I would tell her "Thanks but I have to go", and I would leave and go get high instead of being there and being a friend for her like I should have been. Maybe if Dean and I had been there for her when she was being a good girl and not rebelling and getting high, maybe she would have never run away. So I don't know how lucky she was to have me as a friend. I was irresponsible. I loved her like my own sister. But I often was not there for her when she asked me to stay. But she did trust me completely. Her mom did too. I was a very kind teen back then. Respectful of adults and just honest and nice. I was the only guy friend their mother would let stay alone with Diane. She trusted me too. And I never betrayed that trust, except she would have killed me if she knew I allowed Diane to smoke pot with us. I failed there. And I failed Diane many other times. She needed me to stay home with her and I often did not stay. So I still feel bad about that. Can't help but feel that way.

I smoked at one time; stopped around age 16/17 due to what it did to my lungs. Back then I wondered what kind of damage it did because it always left residue on my fingers.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You were a kid back then. You did not have a crystal ball to know that Diane would not only run away but never come back. Even if you stayed with her that night; she could have slipped out anyway. If she was that determined to leave; you staying would not have changed it.

I do not know what your area was like in 1979; but I used to hang out on the East side which was over a mile from where I lived on the West side; I used to walk or ride my bike home by myself at night at Diane's age. The East side was close to Elizabeth NJ which even back then wasn't very safe. At 15 I got a moped which I drove 11 miles (one way) through some really bad sections & on busy roads. I don't think I'd let my kids do the same thing.

Are they sure of the dates these two missing teens would died? I mean how can they be certain? What if the dates are off a bit? On the other hand if that be the case then all these sightings of Diane were just someone that looked like Diane? Well maybe, but in all these years I can't recall ever encountering a another person who looked like her. Diane had a really irregular kind of face. I know it doesn't really show in the few pics that are on the net, but still I wonder. Jane Doe #2 does look quite a bit like Diane really did

I agree the recon looks like Diane; it was made from the gray recon by a friend (& mod here). We'll have to see if NCMEC puts out a new female recon for her.

Thanks, Tricia! :)

I just wanted to give a more detailed timeline of Diane's disappearance because it is kind of confusing in this thread. So I'll start at the beginning.

Diane had gotten into an argument with her mother earlier in the day. It wasn't anything major, just a run of the mill teenage-mom argument. She had a female friend over at the time, and when the argument ensued, Diane's mother asked her to leave, and she did. Diane told her friend she would call her later.

Ted was at the house as well, hanging out with Diane's brother Dean, but I do not believe he witnessed the argument. Diane did tell both of them that she was going to run away for a couple days.

About 30 minutes later, Diane's mother left for work. She worked a night job. Diane's mother's boyfriend was still in the house. He heard Diane go into her bedroom for about 10-15 minutes, then come out and exit through the garage without saying anything to him.

Before Diane left, she did in fact contact her female friend who had been there earlier. She told her she was going to the mountains for a few days, and that she had someone to stay with there. She said she would call her soon. That was the last her friend heard from her.

There was a guy named Doug whose parents lived on the same street as the Dye family. Doug did not live there but he visited on occasion, and that's how he met Dean and Diane. He was 17-18 (Diane was 13) and had a criminal background, so Diane was forbidden to associate with him. Many say she had a crush on him and he had a thing for young girls also.

Around the time of Diane's disappearance, Doug lived in the Coyote (mountains) area between San Jose and Morgan Hill, CA. He was staying with his probation officer, presumably because his parents would not let him live with them and the probation officer was responsible for keeping track of him.

Dean and Ted went to the Coyote area with Doug once, to an abandoned or vacant house that was being used as a party spot. Several of Doug's friends were there, and Dean and Ted left when they witnessed stashes of weapons and overheard things about planned criminal activities. Neither Ted nor Dean remembers exactly where this location was, but Ted can describe what it looked like.

Diane went missing on 7/30/79.

Sometime between 7/18-7/23, a house in the Coyote area was burglarized. Doug's probation officer/foster father had gone out of town for a few days, leaving Doug at his house alone. When he returned from his trip on 7/25, he found the stolen items in a crawl space in his house. This included guns, fishing equipment, and a stereo or boom box. He reported Doug to the police on 7/25.

It is unclear whether he was arrested for this before or after Diane went missing. I am still trying to pinpoint an exact arrest date. He was charged with the burglary on 8/13 so I know he was arrested somewhere between 7/25 and 8/13. He was not released until November, 4 months after Diane went missing.

If he had already been arrested when Diane went missing, it's very likely that she would not have known that and still attempted to go see him. She would have needed a ride if that was where she was going, and there is no evidence that she'd been there before so it would have had to be someone who knew how to get there. It would not have been Dean or Ted since they were adamant that she stay away from him.

Doug was arrested and released several times in 1980 and 1981, mostly for auto theft. It does not appear that Diane was with him any of these times.

In 1983, Doug was convicted of murder and sentenced to life without parole. He is still in prison today. He killed a man because he wouldn't let Doug use his car. This man, like his probation officer had in the past, had given him a place to stay after one of his jail stays because he had no place else to go.

I want to note again that San Jose Police didn't really do an investigation when Diane went missing. Runaways were not taken very seriously. They just took a report and ran a small snippet in the newspaper. It wasn't until New Jersey authorities found the remains of Princess Doe and thought she resembled Diane, that the NJ police came and did an excellent investigation, though unfortunately several years after she disappeared.

They did talk to Doug (he was already in prison by this time) and he said that he had canvassed the neighborhood when he found out she was missing, and that he'd gone to the school and talked to the principal. The principal said this never happened. (I do not know exactly when he is saying he went to the school, but Diane went missing in July so the school was closed for summer and there was nobody there). He told one of Diane's relatives that he saw her in Washington State when he happened to pick her up hitchhiking, and that she'd had a baby. He also said to police that he wanted to 'get' whoever murdered her. He had not been told about Princess Doe or that she had been murdered, just that she was missing. (Though it's possible he'd seen it on the news from prison)

There were quite a few 'sightings' of Diane, some were considered credible, others not so much.

There have been mentions earlier in this thread of Diane being sighted working in Atlantic City and as a prostitute in New York. Both of these were reported as sightings of Princess Doe, who at the time was believed to be Diane. The people who reported these sightings lived on the East Coast and had seen images on TV, they did not know Diane. I do not consider these credible.

There was a sighting of Diane a few days after she ran away, with two neighborhood girls about her age, on Felder Drive in San Jose. The identity of the two girls is unknown. The person who saw her here lived on her street and knew Diane and her family. This was reported to SJPD right away, but from what I can tell, it was not followed up on.

There was another sighting of her in a beat up car with two older girls pulling into a McDonalds on Cottle Road. This witness was a school friend of Diane's and did not report it because since she was seeing Diane behaving normally in the neighborhood, she assumed that Diane had already been home and was no longer missing. This person did come forward during the Princess Doe investigation though.

Another schoolmate claimed to have seen Diane in December 1981 at the Serramonte Mall in Daly City, CA. She was reportedly alone and appeared to be well-nourished and cared for. This is the only person who claims to have spoken to her where she reportedly said she did not want to go home. I am not sure if this sighting is credible.

My guess is that Doug was arrested after Diane went missing. Hoping someone can get the date because it's really stalling the case. I also feel Diane was going to his place but something happened.
Went back to reread this.. So the school mate supposedly spoke to Diane. I posted the Unrelated "Twins" because I had wondered if maybe the gal thought it was Diane but it was someone that looked like her but that changes if she actually had a conversation with her. I do still wonder if this school mate knew Doug; then I wouldn't put much into the sighting. Diane was supposed to contact her friend in a few days but never did. It seems like she was seen around a few times but nothing after that. To me; it sounds like something happened between Doug & Diane after she got to the cabin. Hope that you're able to speak to her soon.

Thanks for the reply. I am working with someone on this right now. we have located the person who saw Diane at the mall. We have this person's phone number and i will be calling in the next couple of days. I wil report how this goes when I have spoken to this person. Also I posted full info on this case to the Santa Teresa high School reunion facebook profile. numerous people commented and said they knew Diane, including 2 individuals who said they played with her on her soccer team. I am still trying to find out what I can from these people.

Been trying to reply for the last 5 hours so I'm going to try to come back when my grandson naps.

Hey! LOL can you share any images? I have some from back then too I can dig up. Might be funny to see what we all looked like back then :happydance:

What do you need help with?

Mr. Ringgold
Your memories detailed in posts 116 and 117 really helped me understand how different life was in the seventies. I truly LOVED the stories about the living room smoke-out contraption, the reaction to the flipped car, and the pre-concert bonfires on the overpass. I have laughed to myself 3-4 times about the band practice gig and that poor cop's response. I'm more convinced than ever that I was cheated out of the most memorable decade (was born in early eighties)!
I understand why you feel guilty about not being a great influence on, or always being there for, Diane. When I was a teenager, someone tender and vulnerable reached out to me in a similar way (on many occasions, this was a family member) but I did not recognize it at the time. She needed help, and I know just hanging out with her would have made a HUGE difference. I was a bad role model and way too wrapped up in myself to hear what she was really saying. I still feel guilty.
I had a really crappy life at that time, but my indifference to her is one of my greatest regrets. I have had many years to make amends and watch her build a happy life. And I still feel guilty. If something had happened to her it would have haunted me for the rest of my life. So I understand on an emotional level that you feel guilty (but on a logical/objective level, you were struggling yourself and I hope you can let some of the guilt go).
Also, I agree that heavy, long-term marijuana use could have some very negative effects on brain function and mental health. And 13 is pretty young to get high. I am no expert in marijuana affects, just smoked occasionally when younger and my experience was NBD.
I am alarmed that people actually smoked belladonna in the seventies. I have always been taught how dangerous it is (also monk's hood/digitalis), and the Wiki page reads, "Belladonna is one of the most toxic plants found in the Eastern Hemisphere...Ingestion of a single leaf of the plant can be fatal to an adult." (But it's not like Wikipedia is a medical journal.)
Writing a letter to Doug wasn't stupid. Of course he knew what you wanted. But there isn't a whole lot of movement on the case (that I know of, maybe there is lots of stuff that has been attempted or is being discussed). What else could you do?
I think you should keep writing him (unless it would interfere with other investigations). I think EVERYONE should write him a letter. I think he should get 3-4 a week. And I think people should ask point-blank about Diane. I think you should write him every single memory you have of the entire decade. Send him the picture of her. JMO, of course. I don't know all the details, but that's what I believe based on what I do know.
He's either a psychopath (sociopath), an angry, entitled guy who made huge mistakes, but who still has a conscious that can be appealed to, or innocent. If he's a psychopath, your letter made no difference either way. The only way to get info would be some sort of ruse (in which case we need a profiler to advise!). If he is an angry guy who made mistakes but who still has a conscious, your letter could .have been a reminder of what he knows. And if he is guilty, your letter doesn't matter either way.
I just want to reiterate to other posters that this is JMO and an argument for my perspective, not trying to be a know-it-all or sound like an authority on the best way to proceed.
Anyways, I will continue to think of Diane and pray she is at peace. I would consider donating to any reasonable plan to get more info, btw.
Sutton

Want to start with your post because I agree that Ted should consider writing another letter or more.

I had prayed when I wrote him he would write me back. It was a stupid move. He knows how I blew him off all those years, and now all the sudden I'm his friend? I was blinded by my yearning for answers. Doug is not a stupid man. He knew what I was up to. He knew I wanted to know about Diane. If he knew anything. But then why not write back unless you have something to hide? I still think he knows what happened to her. I just don't see how he couldn't fit into this. I bet he talked her into running away. He was a very smooth talker.

What did you say in your letter to him? Depending on what was said; you can follow up with another letter; add info about her missing; print out her NamUs, Charley Project & Doe Net pages. I wonder if he's allowed on the net & if he emails or not.. I'm not familiar with what prisoners are allowed (or not)...

On a semi-related note to what we've been talking about... My son's friends (BF & GF) were arrested Friday morning along with his sister & her BF as well as his parents (Mr is 53; Mrs 61) for 53 pot plants, assorted baggies, mason jars with pot & a hand gun... I believe there are 2 more sons that just happened to not be home. There is no 10% bond; bail is set at $160,000. While I'm sure my son's female friend smokes; I do not think she was involved with the plants. I'm shocked she wasn't allowed the 10% bond.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueeyes1981
Back