Found Deceased CA - Diem Le Nguyen, 50, Nighthawk Trail on Black Mountain, 23 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Only a quarter mile . . . this was probably preventable. So sad.

Super helpful advice. And a really easy thing to do!

If you do more than micro-hikes, an off-grid communication device (like the Garmin InReach) is worth investing in!
Unfortunately, deceased missing hikers are often found not far from the trailhead. They are in the unfortunate situation of being "almost right" about their location, but not 100%.

IMO this person got to the wrong trailhead, or—and this might explain the language—was at a T-junction on the trail. This would, in fact, be the "end of the trail", and the choice would be left or right. IMO she didn't know which. She died nearby, I would speculate.

Only a quarter mile . . . this was probably preventable. So sad.

Super helpful advice. And a really easy thing to do!

If you do more than micro-hikes, an off-grid communication device (like the Garmin InReach) is worth investing in!
The Garmin inReach would work, but it doees require a subscription as well as a unit purchase. Definitely worth it in many situations. These days, a current iphone will do the trick, and doesn't cost anything extra. It would be optimized in locations like this, with clear exposure to satellites.

Unfortunately, deceased missing hikers are often found not far from the trailhead. They are in the unfortunate situation of being "almost right" about their location, but not 100%.

IMO this person got to the wrong trailhead, or—and this might explain the language—was at a T-junction on the trail. This would, in fact, be the "end of the trail", and the choice would be left or right. IMO she didn't know which. She died nearby, I would speculate.
I imagine she was off-trail, or she would have been found sooner? Wandered off looking for shade, water, a shortcut? Injured or delirious/confused?

It sounds like she ran out of water pretty quickly. I wonder if she wasn’t comfortable asking strangers for some.

I hope she didn’t suffer much.

The Garmin inReach would work, but it doees require a subscription as well as a unit purchase. Definitely worth it in many situations. These days, a current iphone will do the trick, and doesn't cost anything extra. It would be optimized in locations like this, with clear exposure to satellites.
Great points RickshawFan, thank you!

Dehydration (esp in such heat) can cause delirium and confusion. She may have thought she was nearing exit but walked wrong way and needed help. So sad she walked away from the group. Another option is someone took advantage of her vulnerability. In this one I’m leaning toward inexperienced hiker who didn’t bring enough supplies thinking trail wouldn’t be that long.

This article notes that the group turned back from their hike at 8 am, but she went on ahead without them to the summit and then 2 hours later sent a text that she was out of water and in trouble.

I note that there is a bifurcation at one point in the trail returning to the parking lot. The northernmost branch is the Black Mountain Trail that heads into a residential street, Laurentian Drive. This is the one where she was found, "400 feet from the trail".

The more southern bifurcation heads towards the parking lot where presumably her vehicle and everyone else's were. That trail is called the Nighthawk Trail. It looks to be a bit shorter than Black Mountain Trail,

From the original description, my impression was that she and the group headed up on the Nighthawk Trail, but as she was left there without the group by the time she turned around, she probably took the Black Mountain trail back, which is really the dirt road to the group of transmission towers on the summit.

No word yet on if there was a buddy system in place to make sure that she had not been forgotten in the confusion about the group cutting the hike short.

She continued on the trail after the group she was with, which included around 100 family and friends, turned back around 8am local time. Around two hours later she called her family to say she was struggling in the heat and was desperate for water.

IMHO: There would have been more people with serious heat stroke risk had the group not turned around at 8 am when they did. 100 people is a massive number of people to try to keep track of on a hike and, due to the charitable nature of the hike, I would assume other hikers were also over 50 and especially at risk for heat stroke. Her clothing seems a bit heavy and constrictive rather than loose and billowy, inhibiting transpiration of fluid during sweating to help cool the skin.

San Diego police officer Dan Meyer said she had almost reached safety before collapsing.

“She was a quarter-mile away from a population, from reaching a street,” he told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

“She nearly made it out.

She continued on the trail after the group she was with, which included around 100 family and friends, turned back around 8am local time. Around two hours later she called her family to say she was extremely hot and needed water.

San Diego police officer Dan Meyer said she had almost reached safety before collapsing.

“She was a quarter-mile away from a population, from reaching a street,” he told the San Diego Union-Tribune.

“She nearly made it out.”

Also noted: One of the most common and deadly mistakes that hikers make is not carrying enough water, Mr Sanchez said. Despite its weight, "we want to see folks carrying gallons"

(A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds. In 95 degree heat, it would not be unreasonable to take 17 pounds worth of water per person)

Last edited:
“A helicopter crew spotted the body at about 9 a.m. Monday, roughly a quarter-mile from the intersection of Carmel Mountain Road and Via Rimini.

Based on the proximity to nearby neighborhoods, it appeared that Nguyen “nearly made it out,” Meyer said.”

:confused:

The northernmost branch is the Black Mountain Trail that heads into a residential street, Laurentian Drive. This is the one where she was found, "400 feet from the trail".
“A helicopter crew spotted the body at about 9 a.m. Monday, roughly a quarter-mile from the intersection of Carmel Mountain Road and Via Rimini.

Hm, both of those things seem to contradict each other. The Black Mountain Service Road (green line) would mean she was at least headed in the right direction back. But if her body was found near Carmel Mountain Rd / Via Rimini (red dot), it would seem she ended up way off course.

IMG_6275.jpeg

Hm, both of those things seem to contradict each other. The Black Mountain Service Road (green line) would mean she was at least headed in the right direction back. But if her body was found near Carmel Mountain Rd / Via Rimini (red dot), it would seem she ended up way off course.

View attachment 512917

I agree. I’m probably wrong, however she’s not near either major trail and not in the area of where you would have 100 people parking and hiking.

She’s also really far off course of the summit, too

I’m probably wrong
I don’t think you’re wrong, I think one of the media sources are. :)

I saw some of the hikers mention the service road. I wonder if they had hiked up via Nighthawk Trail, then walked back along the service road.

If you navigate google maps you'll see numerous trails coming down off those hills that don't show up on the posted map above.

Yes, I saw that trail on the open space web page, looks like it’s called Roadrunner Loop Trail. I don’t know why it’s not on AllTrails, or why it’s not so popular. I wonder how clearly it’s marked and how maintained it is.

IMG_6277.jpeg

On the map you linked, there’s a smaller unmarked trail that shoots off from the bottom of that loop, toward the east. I bet she thought it looked like a straighter shot down toward the houses below than looping back in the direction she came from.

Last edited:
*Edited: Reports are that there were 2 bus loads, possibly more than 100 participants.

It’s one thing to have more than 100 people on a charity fundraiser walk with more than 100 people on flat paved city streets where organizers have brought water and snacks and if one person goes astray, they can find assistance and get picked up by a vehicle if they feel ill or become overheated.

Trying to wrangle 100 people on hit dusty trails is another and her choice to continue hiking while the others turned around, without a buddy or extra water was a bad choice that then became compounded when she did not stay on the original path. It reminds me that it can be easy to make a mistake on a junction of a trail when you approach it from the opposite angle.

Sadly, I would guess that most participants had left when she texted that she was out of water and was too hot. Maybe not anyone of the group in the vicinity to check up on her progress.

I’d think she would have also sent more distress texts and possibly a 911 call.

I’m so sorry to see what was a charitable plan turn unto a tragedy.

Last edited:
This article notes that the group turned back from their hike at 8 am, but she went on ahead without them to the summit and then 2 hours later sent a text that she was out of water and in trouble.

I note that there is a bifurcation at one point in the trail returning to the parking lot. The northernmost branch is the Black Mountain Trail that heads into a residential street, Laurentian Drive. This is the one where she was found, "400 feet from the trail".

The more southern bifurcation heads towards the parking lot where presumably her vehicle and everyone else's were. That trail is called the Nighthawk Trail. It looks to be a bit shorter than Black Mountain Trail,

From the original description, my impression was that she and the group headed up on the Nighthawk Trail, but as she was left there without the group by the time she turned around, she probably took the Black Mountain trail back, which is really the dirt road to the group of transmission towers on the summit.

No word yet on if there was a buddy system in place to make sure that she had not been forgotten in the confusion about the group cutting the hike short.

She continued on the trail after the group she was with, which included around 100 family and friends, turned back around 8am local time. Around two hours later she called her family to say she was struggling in the heat and was desperate for water.

IMHO: There would have been more people with serious heat stroke risk had the group not turned around at 8 am when they did. 100 people is a massive number of people to try to keep track of on a hike and, due to the charitable nature of the hike, I would assume other hikers were also over 50 and especially at risk for heat stroke. Her clothing seems a bit heavy and constrictive rather than loose and billowy, inhibiting transpiration of fluid during sweating to help cool the skin.

“She nearly made it out.

She continued on the trail after the group she was with, which included around 100 family and friends, turned back around 8am local time. Around two hours later she called her family to say she was extremely hot and needed water.

“She nearly made it out.”

Also noted: One of the most common and deadly mistakes that hikers make is not carrying enough water, Mr Sanchez said. Despite its weight, "we want to see folks carrying gallons"

(A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds. In 95 degree heat, it would not be unreasonable to take 17 pounds worth of water per person)

That’s correct. For me, that would make the trip logistically not viable. I would choose NOT to go.

That weight would make you very hot. You’d need a substantial pack with enough support to lug it around and be comfortable. Water feels like dead weight. You’d also need your emergency supplies, including snack or other food.

Worse, you only have so much acreage on your back, especially if you’re female. That means you’ll have dead weight AWAY from your torso. This adds to pain in the back and knees. You can create some better weight distribution if you use trekking poles, but I don’t see our victim with those.

You could “camel up” at the trailhead, but you’d have to pee in short order. With ummmm…. A group of a hundred and no cover. Yeppers, nature often calls at VERY inconvenient moments. And realistically, you’d prolly have to camel up AND take a gallon of water.

A gallon would only be a quart an hour. IMO that’s not even enough. I’d also take a bottle or two of Gatorade.

FYI a gallon would involve putting 4 quart bottles into your pack. Consider how much space that would take up if you did that.

Last edited:
Who took the photo her at the Black Mountain summit with the charity black T-shirt on?

I thought she left the group before summiting and was alone at that point. There does not appear to be any place to set a camera on a rock for the photo, so I have to assume some other hiker took that photo. Did she seem OK? Did she ask for water or seem confused about the route?

What happened after that photo? The Nighthawk route down is quite evident. Clearly she made a wrong turn to the left to have ended up where she did. It would be about an hour hike downhill normally.

This an All-Trails photo of the summit sign:

This trail runner youtube, below, is the best trip video I found that shows a couple of things:

1. The nighthawk trail is a fire road and clearly a dominant hiking trail. I can see why a large group would chose it - it's wide and well marked, some rocky and steepish parts, but this is clearly a well-used and popular trail in this area with the payoff of nice views from the summit.
However, there are parts where the trail branches and the chaparral or brush is high enough you can't really get orieinted. If you took the wrong turn, it might be a while before you could see the surrounding hills and figure out if you were getting close to the trailhead you departed from.

2. There are a lot of people on this hike. At about 3:20 in the video you see a group of about 15 casual hikers and he is regularly passing other hikers. Although it was very hot, someone else was up on the summit to take her photo and likely she was in sight of other hikers until she took a wrong turn.

So sad that a life could be taken so quickly on what would be a simple and pleasant hike with good views under milder conditions.

Last edited:
Who took the photo her at the Black Mountain summit with the charity black T-shirt on?

I thought she left the group before summiting and was alone at that point. Was someone up there with her and took a different route back? Did they check to see if she made it back?

What happened after that?

This an All-Trails photo of the summit sign:

I believe I read it was a webcam.

Yes, I saw that trail on the open space web page, looks like it’s called Roadrunner Loop Trail. I don’t know why it’s not on AllTrails, or why it’s not so popular. I wonder how clearly it’s marked and how maintained it is.

View attachment 512922

On the map you linked, there’s a smaller unmarked trail that shoots off from the bottom of that loop, toward the east. I bet she thought it looked like a straighter shot down toward the houses below than looping back in the direction she came from.
Some of those trails might be mountain bike trails, e.g. Black Widow. It has a lotta wiggles. And it’s the kind of name you’d give a squirrly MTB trail. Then, they might not be on AllTrails.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twitch Williams
Back