Found Deceased CA - Diem Le Nguyen, 50, Nighthawk Trail on Black Mountain, 23 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Founder of the charity sponsoring the hike says they are experienced in doing these kinds of charity hikes and have plans and safety programs in place that include sweeps of the area.

Family members describe Diem as very careful and say the route had been marked out with chalk.

“Thai says hikers were provided plenty of water and snacks and that the trail was marked with chalk.”

This baffles me.

“Thai says hikers were provided plenty of water and snacks and that the trail was marked with chalk.”

This baffles me.

I think we will need to see a report of her phone data to figure out where she went wrong. I wouldn't have expected the chalk to have extended up to the summit and they would need a lot of chalk to be visible on the descent once all those people have tromped around the trail.

Its easy to see where the summit is and head towards it. It is much harder going down with heavy brush obscuring the destination and the obvious trail routes ahead.

Maybe poles at the side of the trail with distinctive flags would have been better.

On her descent from the summit, there would have been other hikers descending via Nighthawk Trail, at least a few visible and that would have been the obvious trail. If she was in trouble or was even sitting by the trail in some scant shade, she could have asked for any extra water or had people inquiring as to whether she was OK. No one has mentioned that she was ever noticed on the descent, so I think she took the wrong turn very close to the summit and there were very few, if any, other people on the smaller trails she ended up taking. Mostly mountain bikers, as the trails to the east of where she should have been are more mountain biker or trail runner trails.

From the 10news link

".... his non-profit organized the hike, said they do fundraising hikes like these all the time, which include safety briefings, having people hike and mark the trail and sweepers checking for the last person off the trail."

Clearly, this last part did not happen. No one checked for the last person off the trail and were keeping count to make sure no one was astray. Given, these are grown adults so you can't force people to stay with you.

Were there signed waivers? How is this a fundraiser? To go hiking as a group? Is it like a "walk a thon" where you donate to your friends? To do what is essentially an urban hike?

She also has 3 grown children. Sympathies and thoughts go out to them....

What's bizarre is that she was the ONLY one who wanted to finish. That seems so off to me.

From SDPD presser
4:39 "Diem wanted to continue to the peak... Diem chose to do so on her own."

I've known (many) people like this who like to go off on their own. It seems the organizers or other adults knew she was off on her own, they did not think there was any danger to it (it is a hike in a super urban area, there's a paved parking lot and a shopping center nearby as well as housing.) However, as a mom of 3 grown adults I kind of would think she would know better but.... not everyone follows these cases of hikers perishing (like Kreycik and family Gerrish.)

I imagine the hikers met at the park and weren't bussed in together, so it didn't matter if she came down the hill after the majority of the others. To me this seems cut and dry, a tragic summer accident.

".... his non-profit organized the hike, said they do fundraising hikes like these all the time, which include safety briefings, having people hike and mark the trail and sweepers checking for the last person off the trail."

I think this was an unfortunate accidental death because the deceased made a series of missteps. But it sounds like the event organizer is worried about being liable in some way. Perhaps future events like this should be held a different time of year. San Diego has nice but cooler weather much of the year.

This is the foundation that does the charity walks to build schools in underpriviledged places.

I don't think that photo was from the morning of the hike, but it might give you an indication of how many people there are on those trails at once. They all look fairly young to me.

IMPORTANTLY the local groups that want to participate for charity are given guidlelines about how to set up a walk. They are told to have a designated Safety Lead and a Trip Logistics Lead, with different responsibilities, see items #9 and #10, below. As with much in life, the devil is in the details and I see some problems with the organizational structure. No one has yet addressed where she fit into this group or if she was in a smaller sub-group.

FAQ
How can we organize a 5K Walk - 5 Friend - $20 Donation in our city to raise funds for the Foundation?
Very simple as we do it annually for San Diego, Houston,Washington DC/Virginia, and Vietnam. Here’re the check list to plan and execute:
  1. Form a leadership team with 5-10 good friends who enjoy outdoor, fitness activities, and charitable giving.
  2. Select a park or hiking trail that has a 5 Km (~ 3 miles) course. Since participants can range from 6-60 years young, an easy to intermediate-level of difficulty is recommended for family focus.
  3. Contact the park’s ranger or website to see if any fee or reservation is required. Last 5K event, we got San Diego’s Hilltop Park at no charge. In Washington DC, we paid $90 for a day use.
  4. Reserve the date (e.g.: our next 5K Walk will be on June 02, 2019) for 100-200 participants. The final heads count will be up to the team’s networking and circle of influences.
  5. Set up an Event Page on your FaceBook, MeetUp, LinkedIn, Google+, ect. Social media. You can share the main Event Page “5K - 5 Friends -$20 Donation. Raise $10K. Build 2 more schools” on our Build a School Foundation FB page.
  6. Participants can fill out the Pledge Card (a copy is online at our FB page), donate online via PayPal at BaSF Paypal, or cash/check to your team.
  7. Make sure you designate a Treasurer who will keep track of donor’s name, address, phone #, email, amount, cash/check/PayPal, etc. We will provide you with a simple Excel Tracker file.
  8. Designate a Fundraiser Lead/Media Liaison. Network with local sponsors to feature on your local flyers. Seek media sponsor and coverage as well T-shirt sponsorship from businesses and individuals. Youth groups, high school clubs, other charitable organizations are good partners to team up.
  9. Designate a Safety Lead. The week before the actual event, the leadership team must walk the course to familiarize yourselves with the surrounding, notice any obstacles, challenges that the bigger group may face. Always think Safety First. Prepare multiple First Aid kits just in case.
  10. Designate a Logistic Lead who will be in charge of stocking water, snacks, fruits, T-shirts, banners (banners will come from San Diego HQ).
  11. Finally, on the final day… show up early, set up the site, prepare to register, check-in, collect donations, walk together with friends, family, and have fun… knowing YOU are making a difference in the lives of 1000’s underprivileged children in Vietnam and globally. We don’t need perfection. We welcome compassion!

Copy of the registration form.

From SDPD presser

I've known (many) people like this who like to go off on their own. It seems the organizers or other adults knew she was off on her own, they did not think there was any danger to it (it is a hike in a super urban area, there's a paved parking lot and a shopping center nearby as well as housing.) However, as a mom of 3 grown adults I kind of would think she would know better but.... not everyone follows these cases of hikers perishing (like Kreycik and family Gerrish.)

I imagine the hikers met at the park and weren't bussed in together, so it didn't matter if she came down the hill after the majority of the others. To me this seems cut and dry, a tragic summer accident.
I agree with everything you're saying, but there are still things that seem very off to me. I guess my biggest question is, how absolutely sure were they that she went off alone? The reason I ask is because if they were certain that the remainder of the hikers were all checked in, why wasn't that questioned? It seems off, and the liability should be with the organizers of the group.

IDK - I'm new on here, but I've been reading a lot and this one seems like it'd be easily dismissed, which is why it becomes suspect. She was also in the Navy, and that makes me think she would know better. THAT SAID, I'm sure you are right. I'm going to continue to follow this thread!!

It's so tragic, I feel for her loved ones.

Last edited:
I think this was an unfortunate accidental death because the deceased made a series of missteps. But it sounds like the event organizer is worried about being liable in some way. Perhaps future events like this should be held a different time of year. San Diego has nice but cooler weather much of the year.
The more I think this through, I think you are correct. I think the event organizer most likely IS <allegedly> liable here and has made the realization of those missteps. I always say that I hope positive new measures are taken to prevent things like this happening again!

This is the foundation that does the charity walks to build schools in underpriviledged places.

I don't think that photo was from the morning of the hike, but it might give you an indication of how many people there are on those trails at once. They all look fairly young to me.

IMPORTANTLY the local groups that want to participate for charity are given guidlelines about how to set up a walk. They are told to have a designated Safety Lead and a Trip Logistics Lead, with different responsibilities, see items #9 and #10, below. As with much in life, the devil is in the details and I see some problems with the organizational structure. No one has yet addressed where she fit into this group or if she was in a smaller sub-group.

FAQ
How can we organize a 5K Walk - 5 Friend - $20 Donation in our city to raise funds for the Foundation?
Very simple as we do it annually for San Diego, Houston,Washington DC/Virginia, and Vietnam. Here’re the check list to plan and execute:
  1. Form a leadership team with 5-10 good friends who enjoy outdoor, fitness activities, and charitable giving.
  2. Select a park or hiking trail that has a 5 Km (~ 3 miles) course. Since participants can range from 6-60 years young, an easy to intermediate-level of difficulty is recommended for family focus.
  3. Contact the park’s ranger or website to see if any fee or reservation is required. Last 5K event, we got San Diego’s Hilltop Park at no charge. In Washington DC, we paid $90 for a day use.
  4. Reserve the date (e.g.: our next 5K Walk will be on June 02, 2019) for 100-200 participants. The final heads count will be up to the team’s networking and circle of influences.
  5. Set up an Event Page on your FaceBook, MeetUp, LinkedIn, Google+, ect. Social media. You can share the main Event Page “5K - 5 Friends -$20 Donation. Raise $10K. Build 2 more schools” on our Build a School Foundation FB page.
  6. Participants can fill out the Pledge Card (a copy is online at our FB page), donate online via PayPal at BaSF Paypal, or cash/check to your team.
  7. Make sure you designate a Treasurer who will keep track of donor’s name, address, phone #, email, amount, cash/check/PayPal, etc. We will provide you with a simple Excel Tracker file.
  8. Designate a Fundraiser Lead/Media Liaison. Network with local sponsors to feature on your local flyers. Seek media sponsor and coverage as well T-shirt sponsorship from businesses and individuals. Youth groups, high school clubs, other charitable organizations are good partners to team up.
  9. Designate a Safety Lead. The week before the actual event, the leadership team must walk the course to familiarize yourselves with the surrounding, notice any obstacles, challenges that the bigger group may face. Always think Safety First. Prepare multiple First Aid kits just in case.
  10. Designate a Logistic Lead who will be in charge of stocking water, snacks, fruits, T-shirts, banners (banners will come from San Diego HQ).
  11. Finally, on the final day… show up early, set up the site, prepare to register, check-in, collect donations, walk together with friends, family, and have fun… knowing YOU are making a difference in the lives of 1000’s underprivileged children in Vietnam and globally. We don’t need perfection. We welcome compassion!

Copy of the registration form.

Yes, it definitely seems as though they didn't follow protocol. I'm doing some digging on them now.

From SDPD presser

Upthread, I read that she was not the only one that continued on the Nighthawk trail.

Yes, it definitely seems as though they didn't follow protocol. I'm doing some digging on them now.
In the livestream at the peak, it looks to me like most people didn’t have sufficient water, if any at all. Unless people took their backpacks off to take pics or something.

I wonder if they supposedly provided water at the trailhead, and she just didn’t grab enough at the start — or if they provided it along the trail, and for whatever reason she didn’t ask for any.

. . . Assuming that statement is even true.

In the livestream at the peak, it looks to me like most people didn’t have sufficient water, if any at all. Unless people took their backpacks off to take pics or something.

I wonder if they supposedly provided water at the trailhead, and she just didn’t grab enough at the start — or if they provided it along the trail, and for whatever reason she didn’t ask for any.

They also might be smaller size bottles which are easier to carry, like 8 oz rather than the large 33.8 oz ( 1 L) bottles. TI dont think I've ever seen an event where they hand out the large 1 L bottles.

Both of these are commonly sold in stores and likely they are from Costco.

RIGHT? And then who is paying for the water if they are only asking for $20/person?

They also might be smaller size bottles which are easier to carry, like 8 oz rather than the large 33.8 oz ( 1 L) bottles. TI dont think I've ever seen an event where they hand out the large 1 L bottles.

Both of these are commonly sold in stores and likely they are from Costco.
I think Costco-style waters make the most sense, again, I'm looking at the cost here and wondering how they are able to fund these excursions and have also built 85 schools with a goal to build 200 by next year. The math isn't mathing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Picle
Back