Found Deceased CA - Diem Le Nguyen, 50, Nighthawk Trail on Black Mountain, 23 June 2024

The one shirt I always carry for traveling or outdoor activities is the Columbia Sportswear Bahama II Shirt, long sleeved. They also make a short sleeved one, but long sleeves are better sun protection. They did make a version in very light cotton at one time that was also great. They are cut generously, so they have that billow factor. I prefer light colors.

Yes, exactly that one! Or Columbia Silver Ridge. I have, like, 6 of these. I like the REI safari shirts, too. And for women I recommend it over a tank top, so it can be left undone and super loose. Guys don't seem to care as much about this.

Buy larger than to fit like a regular shirt. Loose is good.

While I'm on the shirt topic, thanks @Herat and @clorenc ..... These shirts can be sprayed with permethrin if you need that for tick areas.

Also, I don't recommend the dryer. My Silver Ridge shirts shrank quite a bit, and they don't have the same feel. On the other hand, I've had them for at least 10 years and likely could wear them interminably.

I completely disagree. There was a 50K (30 MILE!) running race on the same exact trails only 24 hours earlier. It is the Black Mountain Trail Race, if you are interested. If anything, I was wondering whether she followed some of the chalk marks and arrows from that race instead of the one she intended. That race DOES include the Road Runner loop and almost every trail on the moutain. I ran all of these trails just 4 weeks ago, including the Road Runner loop. It is completely normal to be running and hiking this area throughout the summer. I wouldn't do it in long pants and long sleeves, however, and I would probably avoid 11AM to 3PM. Otherwise, no issue.
Great idea that chalk marks for the earlier race were on the trail.

The temps were different in the days before. A month earlier: way different. Even a few degrees matters. Add in humidity, smog, any of that, and you've got a catastrophe.

Plus, a large race has support stations and water. This might have made a huge difference in this case.

For comparators, I'll cite the 2023 case of Philip Kreycik in the bay area. He was a trail runner.

[Mod Snip}

By my personal knowledge of these trails, I think she came down about 1 mile and the missed a turn back toward Hilltop Park. It's easy to do. That's how she ended up on Roadrunner Loop. When you are on Roadrunner Loop it is easy to not be able to tell where you are. When I went running on Roadrunner Loop on May 23 with my friend, I would have thought we were heading west, but viewing my GPS map afterwards, it was actually south. This is the part of the park that is rarely used. ON the other hand, the main trail to the peak is steady/busy all the time. It's rare to go more than about 5 minutes without seeing people pass by.

I also resent the fact that someone above implied that those of us citizens who were searching impaired the official search teams. There was a helicopter flying overhead for HOURS, ASKING for people to look for this woman and to report her if seen. That's what made me leave my house and head to a smaller trailhead to search. I was out there for almost 2 hours -- approx 4 to 6 PM, and during that time I saw about 8 citizens and only 4 sheriff SAR on the ground.
This was on an obscure part of the mountain, NOT where she should have been. There were ZERO dogs in that area, at that time. The sheriff SAR people were all together, also way overdressed for the heat in full body armor, moving slowly, and honestly I think we ordinary citizens covered a lot more ground than they were covering at that point. Those of us who live nearby and run/hike these trails all the time probably knew the lay of the land and the network of trails better than they do.
The public is generally asked to stay out of missing hiker search areas. It's STANDARD. Having untrained community folks come in INCREASES the risk to everyone, including SAR volunteers, and makes the search less efficient.

Missing and deceased hiker cases are variations on "crime scene". They are generally off limits while SAR/LE search for clues. Untrained folks get in accidents, drop debris, step on evidence, complicate photo evidence from drones, show up while scoping, leave heat "footprints", etc. Keep in mind that when a hiker goes missing, no one knows why they are missing. They could indeed be a victim of a crime.

There are generally several SAR teams on a major search. They go out in small groups, assigned to different areas. If you see SAR and think they're understaffed, you may just be looking at one search cadre.

After a certain number of hours (48? 72? IIRC) LE will make an announcement that the search site is open to community volunteers. This is generally after a recovery scenario is likely.

SAR and LE searchers are trained. They have standard protocols, according to where the missing is most likely to be found. They have medical advice: they know how to dress and how to proceed. They must carry a lot of emergency supplies: if you observed them being over-dressed, they would indeed look "over-dressed" to many people. They are professionally decked out for the job.

And, yes, LE did come out and tell the public not to come out. It is extremely irresponsible if a news helicopter was out there encouraging the public to come over and search.

If you like looking for missing persons in wild/park areas, I'd recommend volunteering with your local SAR for training and field work.

I'm double posting this, so there is clarity about how SAR goes about a search. This same protocol is followed internationally. Note especially minute 20ff for current methodology.

If you like this kind of role....SAR groups almost certainly need volunteers. Many groups are desperate, because of the number of folks who go missing these days. Volunteers are being spread thin. So, volunteer, get trained, and help your community in a formal way.

Last edited:
There seems to be some disagreement about SAR and standard search procedure, so I'm re-posting my sources for the science of "lost person behavior". Yes, it's a science. Searches are not random.

Robert Koester (the guru of "lost person behavior") is interviewed by a BC government agency:

You can even get the Homeland Security app for yourself. It guides SAR through the search algorithm.

Here is a typical SAR ground search operation in British Columbia:

Wow, that yellow bag idea is genius.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly that one! Or Columbia Silver Ridge. I have, like, 6 of these. I like the REI safari shirts, too. And for women I recommend it over a tank top, so it can be left undone and super loose. Guys don't seem to care as much about this.

Buy larger than to fit like a regular shirt. Loose is good.

While I'm on the shirt topic, thanks @Herat and @clorenc ..... These shirts can be sprayed with permethrin if you need that for tick areas.

Also, I don't recommend the dryer. My Silver Ridge shirts shrank quite a bit, and they don't have the same feel. On the other hand, I've had them for at least 10 years and likely could wear them interminably.

I find the fabric of the Columbia Sportswear Bahama is more "stiff" than the Silver Ridge. That means it has more of a billowing and venting effect for me, which is important when you are perspiring in the heat and humidity.

Good point about the tick issue. Yes, that is why you want to wear long pants, if possible. Tick-borne diseases are becoming more prevalent

On my safety mission....Here is a SAR presentation by a SAR member on preparing for a desert hike (terrain/temp conditions like this case). Some ingenious things here!

PS note the SAR clothing: long pants and, yep, a safari shirt.

Last edited:
I completely disagree. There was a 50K (30 MILE!) running race on the same exact trails only 24 hours earlier. It is the Black Mountain Trail Race, if you are interested. If anything, I was wondering whether she followed some of the chalk marks and arrows from that race instead of the one she intended. That race DOES include the Road Runner loop and almost every trail on the moutain. I ran all of these trails just 4 weeks ago, including the Road Runner loop. It is completely normal to be running and hiking this area throughout the summer. I wouldn't do it in long pants and long sleeves, however, and I would probably avoid 11AM to 3PM. Otherwise, no issue.
I think ultramarathon trail runners have a different level of conditioning and endurance than casual hikers, though.

If the charity group intended to hike in the heat to empathize with the kids (which I’m not sure about — I took that comment as a joke), then it does seem irresponsible to not be prepared for it . . . as I imagine the 50k runners were.

Diem saying she was thirsty on the phone call indicates to me that she — or they — were unfortunately not prepared.

People can underestimate conditions, overestimate their ability, or both.

I think ultramarathon trail runners have a different level of conditioning and endurance than casual hikers, though.

If the charity group intended to hike in the heat to empathize with the kids (which I’m not sure about — I took that comment as a joke), then it does seem irresponsible to not be prepared for it . . . as I imagine the 50k runners were.

Diem saying she was thirsty on the phone call indicates to me that she — or they — were unfortunately not prepared.

People can underestimate conditions, overestimate their ability, or both.
I'm speculating the group were provided water refreshments at the end of the walk, and perhaps many walkers carried none or very little. At the end of the walk would be nice, but too late in hot weather.

^^^^ it was estimated a gallon per person would be required for that walk in those conditions, or a liter an hour.

IMO dehydration was a big factor here.

There seems to be some disagreement about SAR and standard search procedure, so I'm re-posting my sources for the science of "lost person behavior". Yes, it's a science. Searches are not random.

Robert Koester (the guru of "lost person behavior") is interviewed by a BC government agency:

You can even get the Homeland Security app for yourself. It guides SAR through the search algorithm.

Wow, interesting videos. Lots of really specific useful information and the attitude and organization of the SAR team is impressive.

A woman I worked with was in a formal BC SAR team. She was the model of organization and effective communication, and no nonsense when it came to safety or protocol. Did not tolerate fools or slackers. I learned a lot from her.

Amazon carries this:

1719696102690.png

On the subject of clothing, I’d always heard wearing white in hot weather will keep you cooler than wearing black. So, when I was in Japan last summer (never go to Japan in the summer if you have a choice), I was surprised to see many people wearing black in the cities, with miserable high temps and high humidity!

But, this article says it’s more complex than that, referencing a study done to answer why Bedouins wear black robes in the desert. It says:
“Black coloured fabrics are a better radiator of heat – meaning they absorb heat emanating from the body – so this can also play a role in cooling your body down. The Bedouin's secret is wearing loose-fitting black clothing, especially if it's windy. The loose black clothes heat up the space between the fabric and the skin, promoting an upward air current – like a chimney – and providing cooling relief.”

What is the best clothing to keep you cool in a heatwave? (BBC)

When I think back, many of the women’s black clothing was loose, lightweight jumper-like dresses over tee shirts. (A very cute look, btw, ladies!)

Then, I was looking at the livestream (link within this article) taken of the group that made it to the top, and at 0:23 I see that this man is dressed very similarly to how Diem was dressed, yet, presumably made it through ok.
Poor Diem.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpeg
    IMG_0373.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 6
The Foundation that organized the hike that Diem lost her life while participating in is having an event Sunday (6/30) to gather and mourn her passing.

Shining a Light of Legacy for Ms. Diem Le Nguyen
If you read the comments, it is clear the family of DL have clearly expressed they do not want this done in her name since Jimmy Thai never even knew her. It comes across to the family as a bit disingenuous. It's sad but also strange that this organization didn't reach out to her family to even ask.

The sons have their own statement

Last edited:
If you read the comments, it is clear the family of DL have clearly expressed they do not want this done in her name since Jimmy Thai never even knew her. It comes across to the family as a bit disingenuous. It's sad but also strange that this organization didn't reach out to her family to even ask.

The sons have their own statement

Eeeek. Not good.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm