CA CA - Dorothy Scott, 32, Anaheim, 27 May 1980

Still looking...maybe I got confused with another case, perhaps GSK

Thanks no problem either way I would have just been interested to listen to compare them with the Golden State Killer ones. But if they are not there it is ok.

Hey guys! The site below,

Mysterious Deaths - Friends And Felonies

Led me to this YouTube link, but I honestly don't think it's the actual recording. What do you think? The video states police had recordings of the caller :eek:.

Thanks for posting I do not think it is the actual caller but I had not seen the video before.

Here is a recently posted page with some information about the case:

Dorothy Jane Scott - The Calls Of A Killer - Unsolved CasebookDorothy Jane Scott - The Calls Of A Killer - Unsolved Casebook

Here is a little more information about the callers voice:

LE DID WIRETAP THEIR PHONES. THEY HAVE RECORDINGS OF HIS VOICE. ITS DESCRIBED AS GRUFF AND PLAINLY DISGUISED. HOWEVER THE CALLER WOULD NEVER STAY ON THE PHONE LONG ENOUGH FOR THE CALLS TO BE TRACED. (PUSSY) THE CALLS FINALLY STOPPED IN APRIL 1984 WHEN HE CALLED AND JACOB ANSWERED THE PHONE. THE CALLER HUNG UP. (LIKE I SAID HE'S A PUSSY. PROB WET HIMSELF.)

The Mind Boggling Murder of Dorothy Jane Scott

Thanks for posting I do not think it is the actual caller but I had not seen the video before.

Here is a recently posted page with some information about the case:

Dorothy Jane Scott - The Calls Of A Killer - Unsolved CasebookDorothy Jane Scott - The Calls Of A Killer - Unsolved Casebook

Here is a little more information about the callers voice:

LE DID WIRETAP THEIR PHONES. THEY HAVE RECORDINGS OF HIS VOICE. ITS DESCRIBED AS GRUFF AND PLAINLY DISGUISED. HOWEVER THE CALLER WOULD NEVER STAY ON THE PHONE LONG ENOUGH FOR THE CALLS TO BE TRACED. (PUSSY) THE CALLS FINALLY STOPPED IN APRIL 1984 WHEN HE CALLED AND JACOB ANSWERED THE PHONE. THE CALLER HUNG UP. (LIKE I SAID HE'S A PUSSY. *** PROB WET HIMSELF.)

The Mind Boggling Murder of Dorothy Jane Scott

Yes, it seems unlikely LE would release this kind of evidence from their cold case files, especially when they have little or no other evidence from the crime scene(s). I wonder if LE retrieved anything helpful from Dorothy's car?

The theory about the person (Mike Butler?) who was a cult member seems somewhat plausible, but would he have access to a car? Whomever stalked, kidnapped and killed Dorothy needed a car. They also had to do a lot of walking that night, from alley where they left her car back to where they parked in the hospital parking lot or somewhere nearby. Also, if they dumped her body along the freeway with the remains of a dead dog, how did that work? Did they bring along their own dead dog when they went to kidnap her? Did they just happen to come across a dog they could kill while in the process of kidnapping and killing her? Just an odd thing to try to fit in during a very busy night for the killer. Did he just dump her body that night, then come back later with the dead dog to bury with her? Next to a busy highway?

The theory about it being the GSK is interesting, though it doesn't fit his MO - attacking victims in their homes and leaving bodies there. The other personality characteristics of the killer seem very similar, especially exerting power and control over victims before and after the murder.

GSK/DeAngelo has made us understand more about LE who commit murders. What if this wasn't GSK, but was another rogue LEO? "Head shops", etc. were probably prime targets for LE to keep under surveillance in those days, looking for drug dealers and users. What if the killer was an undercover investigator for a law enforcement agency whose job was to spend a few months staking out the two shops where Dorothy worked? What if he became "obsessed" with her instead, deciding to stalk and eventually kill her.

It would fit with some of the characteristics of GSK, but with unique MO more compatible with someone working undercover. Same skill set, knowledge of how to make phone calls that can't be traced, disguising his voice, blending into the neighborhood, being close by but not standing out. Skills at listening to other people's conversations, maybe even had a "bug" planted in the stores, so would have heard employees discussing plans, meetings, etc. Ability to follow a victim, hide and abduct them without causing a big scene or attracting attention.

As part of his job surveilling the stores, he may have even posed as a customer on numerous occasions, making his voice familiar to Dorothy. The taunting of the victim would suggest he had become familiar with her, felt her inferior to him as she worked in a "head shop", etc. JMO, lots of hints for an LEO in this.

Wonder if there were any similar crimes, sexual assaults, etc. in the area? Any odd members of LE (local, county, state or federal) working undercover in drug stings back then?

Yes, it seems unlikely LE would release this kind of evidence from their cold case files, especially when they have little or no other evidence from the crime scene(s). I wonder if LE retrieved anything helpful from Dorothy's car?

The theory about the person (Mike Butler?) who was a cult member seems somewhat plausible, but would he have access to a car? Whomever stalked, kidnapped and killed Dorothy needed a car. They also had to do a lot of walking that night, from alley where they left her car back to where they parked in the hospital parking lot or somewhere nearby. Also, if they dumped her body along the freeway with the remains of a dead dog, how did that work? Did they bring along their own dead dog when they went to kidnap her? Did they just happen to come across a dog they could kill while in the process of kidnapping and killing her? Just an odd thing to try to fit in during a very busy night for the killer. Did he just dump her body that night, then come back later with the dead dog to bury with her? Next to a busy highway?

The theory about it being the GSK is interesting, though it doesn't fit his MO - attacking victims in their homes and leaving bodies there. The other personality characteristics of the killer seem very similar, especially exerting power and control over victims before and after the murder.

GSK/DeAngelo has made us understand more about LE who commit murders. What if this wasn't GSK, but was another rogue LEO? "Head shops", etc. were probably prime targets for LE to keep under surveillance in those days, looking for drug dealers and users. What if the killer was an undercover investigator for a law enforcement agency whose job was to spend a few months staking out the two shops where Dorothy worked? What if he became "obsessed" with her instead, deciding to stalk and eventually kill her.

It would fit with some of the characteristics of GSK, but with unique MO more compatible with someone working undercover. Same skill set, knowledge of how to make phone calls that can't be traced, disguising his voice, blending into the neighborhood, being close by but not standing out. Skills at listening to other people's conversations, maybe even had a "bug" planted in the stores, so would have heard employees discussing plans, meetings, etc. Ability to follow a victim, hide and abduct them without causing a big scene or attracting attention.

As part of his job surveilling the stores, he may have even posed as a customer on numerous occasions, making his voice familiar to Dorothy. The taunting of the victim would suggest he had become familiar with her, felt her inferior to him as she worked in a "head shop", etc. JMO, lots of hints for an LEO in this.

Wonder if there were any similar crimes, sexual assaults, etc. in the area? Any odd members of LE (local, county, state or federal) working undercover in drug stings back then?

Good post and interesting points and you may well be right. The Golden State Killer did call back victims as the East Area Rapist and taunt them years afterwards but then I would say that:)

Brea police may have still been in that jurisdiction and they have had at least one drug sting gone bad. Also, the body dumps in that area are near Featherly Regional Park, where one can camp out in their Rv. In the 80s to early 90s, this area was still growing, so night body dumps were possible.

Brea police may have still been in that jurisdiction and they have had at least one drug sting gone bad. Also, the body dumps in that area are near Featherly Regional Park, where one can camp out in their Rv. In the 80s to early 90s, this area was still growing, so night body dumps were possible.

Thanks, that's helpful information. I'm probably not the only one wondering what the area looked like back then. Re the park and campers, would someone be able to camp there for long periods of time? It sounds like Dorothy's killer was stalking her for quite a while before killing her. He would have also needed a car to drive around, unless he had a pickup camper or something similar.

Thanks, that's helpful information. I'm probably not the only one wondering what the area looked like back then. Re the park and campers, would someone be able to camp there for long periods of time? It sounds like Dorothy's killer was stalking her for quite a while before killing her. He would have also needed a car to drive around, unless he had a pickup camper or something similar.
Yes, there are people that lived there from time to time, but there are lots of hills and canyons in the area. In my opinion, I think it was the work of a serial killer that never was caught.

Yes, there are people that lived there from time to time, but there are lots of hills and canyons in the area. In my opinion, I think it was the work of a serial killer that never was caught.
People are more likely to be killed by someone they know. Her abductor knew things about her that they wouldn’t otherwise know or shouldn’t know, like her phone number, where she worked and got to the hospital. They had to have been stalking, yes, but I can’t go with a random killer. I’m thinking this person was a co-worker or exco-worker and this was how they knew she was at the hospital.

I am curious if anyone else was in the ER waiting room that night. Re: how the killer/stalker knew about the spider bite, if he was hanging out in the ER waiting room under the pretense of waiting on someone, he could have overheard this mentioned. Did her co-workers ever mention if anyone else was in the waiting room that night? Alternately, perhaps when he confronted her in the parking lot, it WAS someone she knew vaguely (seeing as how she said the voice had sounded familiar but couldn't place it) and at first, she wasn't alarmed as he came up with a reason he was at the hospital and asked her why she was there. Then he attacked her after some small talk. That would also account for the amount of time before the co-workers saw her car drive past.

The stalker had to cross paths with her somehow. He could still be a stranger. I think back to Jayme Closs's tragic case where he randomly saw her get off a bus one day and then became obsessed with her and planned the murder/abduction. Just because of one random sighting of her. The stalker could have run into Dorothy anywhere in public or even walked past her as she was coming/going from her place of employment (I know it was said she worked in the back office). In terms of knowing her routines, what she was wearing, etc., that would not be that difficult to do by spying on her and following her incessantly once he was "hooked." So I don't think knowing those details eliminates a stranger, IMO. I'm not ruling out that it was an acquaintance, but I definitely think a stranger could still pull this off. He might have even inserted himself in her life somehow that would give her the impression his voice was familiar. We have no idea of his profession. Could he have worked for the telephone company, for instance, and been in her home before under pretense of work? Or been in her home for legitimate work and that's how he became obsessed? Just one example. All MOO. Terrible case though and I would love to see it solved.

Of course with a cold case like this it is difficult to get much more new information but here is a recent page about the case which appears to have quite a bit of information about the case:

Taunted by an Anonymous Caller: The Murder of Dorothy Jane Scott

Here is part of the above article:

An Anonymous Caller
In the months preceding Dorothy’s disappearance, she told others that she had been receiving phone calls from a man who she had said was stalking her. When he called both her home and work phones, he would express his undying love for her, then next he would threaten her. He would even tell her about her daily routine.

One call specifically horrified Dorothy. He told her that he was going to get her alone and “cut her into bits” so no one could ever find her. Another evening he called and told her to go outside, that he had left her something for her. When she went out the door, she found one dead rose sitting on top of her car.

She told her family she recognized the voice but just couldn’t place it. A week before her disappearance Dorothy began taking self-defense lessons and considered purchasing a handgun.

She was only receiving the calls while at work?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ax445
Back