CA - Dr. Felix Polk, 70, stabbed to death, Orinda, 14 Oct 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Buzzm1 said:
What's taking them so long???

A hung jury would mean the prosecutor would have to go through this all over again. One Susan Polk is enough in any prosecutor's career. If I were him, I would just disappear never to be found again.

Say it isn't so.
Buzz I am thinking the same thing. It would be easy to go with a 2nd degree here.

chicoliving said:
After the murder Susan washed the paring knife and put it in the drawer. Her reasoning was that she was a neat person so did what was natural, washed it and put it away.
Oh my Lord. Surely, this was brought up at trial. What a loony toon... She is either very sick or very clever...or both...

Buzzm1 said:
What's taking them so long???

A hung jury would mean the prosecutor would have to go through this all over again. One Susan Polk is enough in any prosecutor's career. If I were him, I would just disappear never to be found again.

Say it isn't so.

I can't speak for everyone. But I actually have been pitying the prosecutor. He had a tough job, but he was doing it. And did pretty well. Yes he responded and yes he got heated at times. But I would have too in those circumstances.
Now the judge, who allowed so much to go on, who allowed the courtroom to be taken over, that is different.

Apparently one of the jurors was in the judge's chambers with both the pros and Susan (I just can't refer to her as counsel). Something about this juror wanting to know if an alternate could be in the delib room since this juror wouldn't be available after Friday (moving or going out of state). Susan apparently made an *advertiser censored* of herself again by telling the judge she was wrong and that an alternate could be in the delib room. The judge had enough of her outburst and had her removed from the chambers. hehehe this from Catherine Crier Live today.

chicoliving said:
Apparently one of the jurors was in the judge's chambers with both the pros and Susan (I just can't refer to her as counsel). Something about this juror wanting to know if an alternate could be in the delib room since this juror wouldn't be available after Friday (moving or going out of state). Susan apparently made an *advertiser censored* of herself again by telling the judge she was wrong and that an alternate could be in the delib room. The judge had enough of her outburst and had her removed from the chambers. hehehe this from Catherine Crier Live today.
Saw that to, but I thought it was 2 jurors at different times today....
The other one saying something about this weekend...didn't get all of it...:confused:

chicoliving said:

this juror, referred to as "ponytail" has told the court from the beginning of the trial, almost 4 months ago, that he is beginning a new job in a new city this coming monday. that is why he went to the judge and asked her to consider bringing in an alternate since friday is his last day before moving. the judge told him that if he was still concerned about it at noon friday (him having to drop out of the deliberations) that she would hold another hearing.

there was also a juror with a long-standing trip that was to have started sunday i believe, and today she asked the judge to write a letter to the airlines so she could get a refund on the sunday flight.

looks like these jurors are thinking it might take a while!!

with "ponytail" leaving for good tomorrow, i think this jury will really try for a friday verdict. otherwise they will have to start over monday with one of the alternates.

All it takes is one fly in the ointment. Just one juror refusing to budge. It appears this jury is stuck in the mud. Been there with a jury before. Almost had to deliver a hung jury to the judge. The lone holdout finally caved in at 4:00PM on Friday, and that was after three days of being hung, in a very simple case.

Polk trial jurors will have to start over if they don't reach verdict today

MARTINEZ, Calif. If jurors in the murder trial of Susan Polk don't reach a verdict some time today they'll have to start all over again Monday. Because one of the jurors is moving out of Contra Costa County next week, he won't be serving on the jury any longer.

With an alternate juror coming into replace the man who is moving, the deliberation process will have to resume from the beginning.

Polk -- who acted as her own attorney -- is facing up to 25 years to life in prison if convicted of first degree murder in the killing of her husband in 2002.

When a verdict is reached -- whenever that may be -- judge has decided that the court will wait one hour before announcing the verdict.

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=5040364

Buzzm1 said:
Polk trial jurors will have to start over if they don't reach verdict today...
I don't know what the holdup is in this case. I think that Susan is guilty of first degree murder!!

It was just announced on CourtTV that a verdict has been reached. It will be read at 11:15 Pacific Time - 2:15 Eastern. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

It's been a very long time and it will be nice not to have to hear about Susan's antics anymore. Hope they have plenty of security for this one.

Thought it would be today when the jurors asked for pictures to be taken of
them in the court room, and "the susan" protested...

;)

Polk was also found guilty of the special enhancement of using a knife in the act of murder.

She faces 16 years to life in prison for the two convictions.

Polk showed no emotion when the court clerk read the verdict. She asked that the jury be polled and calmly listened as each panelist affirmed the guilty verdict.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/polk/061606_verdict_ctv.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back