CA - Dr. Felix Polk, 70, stabbed to death, Orinda, 14 Oct 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sounds like she is going to try the case herself doesn't it. It doesn't mention anything about her attornies trying to quiet her. I wonder what their reaction was.

mysteriew said:
Sounds like she is going to try the case herself doesn't it. It doesn't mention anything about her attornies trying to quiet her. I wonder what their reaction was.

It's not that being a royal (rhymes with witch)........makes me think that her version of events are as stated, but rather, I question the mental landscape of a defendant who always maintains it was the other person's fault. At her last court appearance, she spoke out directly to the judge when she objected the a later and agreed upon court date for the start of her trial. She said that the stipulation was wrongly heard and recorded by the court stenographer. Well, that set the judge on fire. Polk was reprimanded via her attorney not to disparage the court's personnel and not to speak other than through her attorney. Now this, questionioning/stating the supposed "conflict" issues. I am starting to think that maybe she didn't defend herself against her husband (already bedded in a cottage on the property) but that she simply killed him without provocation.

Defense attorney Daniel Horowitz said Wednesday that his client, Susan Polk, no longer wants his services and prefers to represent herself when she goes on trial this month on charges she killed her husband in their Orinda home.
``It doesn't matter why she wants to represent herself,'' Horowitz said. ``She doesn't have to have a reason.''
Polk and her defense team are scheduled to meet with Contra Costa Superior Court Judge Laurel Brady on Friday, about three weeks before Polk's second trial is set to begin, Horowitz said. Polk will argue that she is competent and ready to represent herself.
Polk, 49, is accused of stabbing to death her husband, 70-year-old Felix Polk, in 2002 on their Orinda estate. She has said she killed him in self-defense.
Polk, in an interview Wednesday at County Jail in Richmond, said that Horowitz has ignored her interests since the October slaying of his wife, Pamela Vitale.
``He has not been focusing on my case,'' she said. ``He has not spent any substantial time with me since his wife's death.''
Horowitz and his defense team have not pursued enough leads to prove her innocence and had portrayed her inaccurately to a defense expert.
``I would have liked to be represented by competent counsel,'' she said. ``I don't think Dan is competent.''
Horowitz said he is prepared to ``do her defense 100 percent,'' but declined to respond to Polk's specific allegations.
``She has a right to her feelings,'' Horowitz said.
He added that he believes she does have the skills to represent herself.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/13607744.htm

Just weeks before her trial was to begin in Martinez, an Orinda woman accused of killing her husband three years ago told a judge Friday that she wants to fire her high-profile attorney, Daniel Horowitz, and represent herself.

Susan Polk told Superior Court Judge Laurel Brady that she wants to dump Horowitz -- whose wife was killed in October in a case that garnered nationwide headlines -- in part because of his "grandstanding before the media."

Brady considered Polk's request before announcing that she needed more time to research the issue and would revisit the question at a hearing Friday.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/14/BAGBJGNC651.DTL

Woman whose lawyer's wife was murdered wants to defend herself

A California woman whose murder trial was halted when her defense lawyer's wife was found murdered told a judge Friday that she wants to fire her attorneys and defend herself instead.

Susan Polk, who claims she stabbed her abusive husband in self-defense in 2002, told Contra Costa County Superior Court Judge Laurel Brady that her high-profile attorney, Daniel Horowitz, has been inattentive to her case since he found his wife's body upon returning home from work Oct. 19.

Polk charged that Horowitz was making himself available for media interviews but failed to file new pretrial motions and issue subpoenas in connection with her trial, which is set to start anew Jan. 31.

Horowitz said Friday afternoon that he had issued more than 40 subpoenas on Polk's behalf and was prepared to defend her to his fullest if Brady does not grant Polk's request.
http://www.courttv.com/trials/polk/011306_ctv.html

Well so far I have seen 3 reasons that she says is the reason she wants to defend herself.
1. She thinks that Horowitz has something to do with the murder of his wife.

2. He is grandstanding with the media.

3. He isn't working on her case.

I started watching her case, and was on the fence as to her guilt. Just wasn't sure. After the mistrial was declared, I actually haven't seen much in the media about her. Until she decided to try to fire Horowitz. It makes it look as though she is the one doing the grandstanding.
I am starting to lean.

judge's decision on Susan Polk's request to fire her attorneys so she can represent herself in her upcoming murder trial will wait another week.
In a brief hearing Friday, Polk gave the judge two long letters explaining her reasons for wanting to fire her legal team, Daniel Horowitz and Ivan Golde.

Polk also wants Contra Costa County Superior Court Judge Laurel Brady and the entirety of the county's bench to be recused from presiding over her trial. The judge scheduled arguments on Polk's request to represent herself for Friday.

Friday, after informing the judge of her requests for recusal, Polk argued the law with Brady on a number of issues surrounding legal procedures. Polk has claimed in past hearings that the court reporter was omitting important details from the court transcripts and that the judge and clerk have familial ties to law enforcement officers who have worked on her case.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_3402666

If this woman is an abused wife I will eat my shoe. She doesn't act like any battered wife that I have ever known or heard of. I think she has a very large screw loose and is so involved in herself that she can't see the forest for the trees.

I am anxious to hear what her two sons have to say when they testify for the Pros. Makes a person wonder when two out of three sons are testifying against their mother. They must know things that we aren't aware of yet.

I hope that the judge allows her to be her own attorney. That should make a good trial. I can just hear it now. This woman doesn't know when to shut up when she has an attorney....can you imagine what it will be like if she represents herself!!

She has the darn nerve talking bad about Dan H. after all he has done for her. I remember him talking about her case on TV and he was behind her 100%. She should be ashamed of herself saying the things she is saying. I think her problem is that she thinks an attorney should be at her beck and call 24 hours a day....she's only been through 4 attorneys so far. I hope she ends up with the death penalty. She probably has it coming if the truth be known. She is a real nut case IMO. She says that Dan was grandstanding on TV???? Heck, this woman would stand on her head and dance to get media attention.

I think she will be found guilty and join the ranks of other spouse murderers such as Betty Broderick. Her beginnings might have been a bit questionable but we are 30 years after the fact....sorry hon (my comment to Susan Polk) a little late for history lessons.

I think this woman is actually schizoid, but I think she had a lot of help getting that way.

Janet'sPlanet said:
I think she will be found guilty and join the ranks of other spouse murderers such as Betty Broderick. Her beginnings might have been a bit questionable but we are 30 years after the fact....sorry hon (my comment to Susan Polk) a little late for history lessons.

I felt extrememly sorry for Betty Broderick. It taught me to take very special care when separation (both in terms of firing from ones job/significant other, friends). What her husband did to her was sadistic. There was absolutely no call for that, as well as her reaction to having been abused so meanly.
As for Polk, we need to know a great deal more about the prosecution's case before we pronounce her guilty of murder. Having said that, I can only repeat what another poster here wrote: that when she bursts forth in court, in front of the jury or is in fact representing herself, said jury will see no passive victim who suffered abuse until she just snapped. Ms. Polk, from what I have read about her pre-trial antics, is no wall flower. If anything, her narcissism has always seen her shine through obsticles.

yadler said:
I felt extrememly sorry for Betty Broderick. It taught me to take very special care when separation (both in terms of firing from ones job/significant other, friends). What her husband did to her was sadistic. There was absolutely no call for that, as well as her reaction to having been abused so meanly.
As for Polk, we need to know a great deal more about the prosecution's case before we pronounce her guilty of murder. Having said that, I can only repeat what another poster here wrote: that when she bursts forth in court, in front of the jury or is in fact representing herself, said jury will see no passive victim who suffered abuse until she just snapped. Ms. Polk, from what I have read about her pre-trial antics, is no wall flower. If anything, her narcissism has always seen her shine through obsticles.
Nah, I feel sorry for victims not the murderers. Betty Broderick is the offender, the one that committed double murder. There is no record of any abuse anywhere so such statements are without merit or corroboration.

But I relate it to this case in terms of highly manipulative personalities. Polk's high degree of sophistication and legal savy demonstrates she is a highly rational and capable person who orchestrates and manipulates. Granted she may not have had the stable life Broderick had but they have similar personalities that demonstrate manipulation, hysteria as a way to garner sympathy, histrionics, and blame.

I think in the case this will be brought out and she will make the mistake of testifying. Personalities like hers don't do well when being cross-examined. The number of lies and style of manipulation get exposed the jurors will see her for I think she is.

Good for you! Yes, Broerick was the offender, but her husband was the instigator. He didn't have to send Betty that postcard from his honeymoon, "Having a great time. Glad that you are not here." He provoked her mercilessly.

yadler said:
Good for you! Yes, Broerick was the offender, but her husband was the instigator. He didn't have to send Betty that postcard from his honeymoon, "Having a great time. Glad that you are not here." He provoked her mercilessly.
Maybe they can make a thread for Betty Broderick since she will be up for Parole in 2011 (though unrealistic since double murderers don't get paroled). For now I just wanted to reference her because of the rage and manipulative personalities that are very similar. I really don't feel like discussing Betty here. She is a convicted cold blooded murderer and like all so many convicted criminals, especially murderers, they blame their victims. Everyone gets provoked everyday by something or someone...it doesn't justify murder.

Janet'sPlanet said:
Maybe they can make a thread for Betty Broderick since she will be up for Parole in 2011 (though unrealistic since double murderers don't get paroled). For now I just wanted to reference her because of the rage and manipulative personalities that are very similar. I really don't feel like discussing Betty here. She is a convicted cold blooded murderer and like all so many convicted criminals, especially murderers, they blame their victims. Everyone gets provoked everyday by something or someone...it doesn't justify murder.

Again, it is way too early to convict Polk. Nobody knows anything about what transpired ahead of time.
As for BB, I never used the word "justify" in my brief statements about her. Having said that, provocation after provocation amounts to abuse. "Having a great time, glad you're not here." A little empathy from your end would go an awful long way. A little kindness for her state before the murders needs be considered.

yadler said:
Again, it is way too early to convict Polk. Nobody knows anything about what transpired ahead of time.
As for BB, I never used the word "justify" in my brief statements about her. Having said that, provocation after provocation amounts to abuse. "Having a great time, glad you're not here." A little empathy from your end would go an awful long way. A little kindness for her state before the murders needs be considered.
I think the trial will bring out that Susan Polk was the one that forgot KINDNESS on the day she murdered Felix.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/6036799/detail.html

The above link:

"Contra Costa Superior Court Judge Laurel Brady ruled that Polk can represent herself when her trial on charges she murdered her husband resumes on Jan. 31. A mistrial in the case was declared after Horowitz's wife, Pamela Vitale, was killed in October."

Can we say BUH BYE to Susan Polk? :bang: I think she is going to get to know Betty Broderick quite well over the next 30 years.

You Go Susan :clap: You may as well kiss your butt good bye right now. I don't know if Susan Polk is guilty or not but I do know one thing....her behavior is going to hang her. If she acts at the trial like she has acted in the media and in the courtroom not one person on the jury is going to have any sympathy for her. She will turn every person in the courtroom off.

She is planning to refile her paperwork to get the judges in the county from over seeing her case. Heard that on the news today. She was told "no" once but I guess she has to push it.

Has anyone here ever heard of a person who defends himself by acquitted?

yadler said:

I agree with your comments about the abuse. We normally only hear about the sexual abuse or physical abuse, but emotional abuse can also be just as damaging to the reciever. It is just that others cannot see the scars. Constant ridicule, isolation, demeaning comments, threats, intimidation when carried to an extreme can indeed lead to major scars. And it isn't well known, but when an abused woman is finally free of an abusive spouse, they often become demanding, and aggressive. After being subjegated for many years, when they finally become free- often they don't know how to handle it, esp if they are under duress.
Still, even if there was such emotional abuse- I don't think that is a good excuse for murder. There wouldn't have been so much an immediate fear for her life, so much as a fear of losing her lifestyle. I am beginning to believe there was a lot of that fear in this case.
It will be interesting to hear what all of the boys say. Likely they are the only ones who would be aware of any abuse going on in the home. But as most parents will try to hide that abuse from the kids- even they may not have known for sure.

A judge ruled Friday that Susan Polk can act as her attorney in her upcoming trial on charges that she stabbed to death her husband in 2002.
In a hearing that was calmer than many involving the 48-year-old Polk, who often argues with and interrupts the judge in court, Judge Laurel Brady granted her request to represent herself.
"I will expect you to behave in court," Brady told Polk. "There are consequences if you do not behave, as there are consequences for attorneys who do not."
Polk's mother Helen Bolling, 72, watched the court proceedings in Contra Costa Superior Court in Martinez, and for the first time spoke about her daughter after the hearing. Bolling, who is frail but speaks with vigor, called her daughter's decision "a terrible mistake."
Horowitz told Brady he can no longer represent Polk because of potential conflicts of interest with his wife's homicide case. If he is a witness in his wife's case, he may be forced to testify and divulge information otherwise covered by attorney-client privilege.
"What I would say would be potentially harmful to (Polk's) case," he said, without disclosing details.
Polk is ready to try her own case, he said.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/13679100.htm

Now I'm curious as to what Dan could say that would be harmful to Polk's case. Boy is her mother right when she says that her daughter has made a horrible mistake. She probably sees the handwriting on the wall too.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouTanner
Back