GUILTY CA - Dr. William Ayres for child molestation, San Mateo, 2007 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Belinda- the mother of one of the Ayres victims has sent off the information about this doctor who trained at Yale. The mother thinks that the prosecutor told her at the last hearing that she had contacted this doctor. However, the doctor - and I am going with his word- says he has not.

He believes it is up to the prosecutor to contact him. He asked me whether she wanted to win the case, too. He said that if she does, then she should contact him. We agree. We don't understand why she has not done so.

The doctor's professional credentials are of a much higher order than Ayres. I won't go into details here, in the event the prosecutor does contact him and he testifies at the trial. Just be assured that if he does take the stand, it's game over for Ayres.

You are welcome to send the thread to the prosecutor, Melissa McKowan, in the San Mateo DA's office. Perhaps if a number of people contact her, she might do something. Then again, she may not.

Mercyneal--Is this a time where an amicus curiae would be appropriate? I'm not sure which organization could provide it or even request it but just wondering. I hate to see such an important fact hang on the testimony of a single man. If the chaperon rule was indeed in place at Yale, couldn't some medical watchdog group speak to that issue? Could an inside source possibly provide a textbook or class syllabus which proves this was taught? And is it possible that, instead of testimony, this particular doctor could just write up his memory and present it? It's been my experience that anyone can write to a judge or a prosecutor about a case. It might or might not be taken into consideration but the attempt can be made.

Actually, the Yale pediatrics department would have a history of their teaching syllabus. There are others who trained with Yale I have spoken to who also say that there was no such rule about no chaperons for boys.

Also, this doctor was the head of the National Institute for Mental Health. In other words, he was the head honcho shrink of the United States who implemented all sorts of national policy. He's not just "one man." His word would carry an enormous amount of weight against Ayres.

As I said though, I am waiting for a number of people who are at Yale now, and who would know about the history of their teaching.

But also bear in mind, so far I have found NO medical school that has ever taught any such rule about boys not needing chaperons. It's just common sense. Why on earth would any medical school implement such different rules for boys and girls? Also, there was a female pediatric resident in Ayres' group at Yale when Ayres was there. If Ayres' rule did exist- and it didn't - would that mean that the female pediatric resident didn't have to have a chaperon in the room when she was examining female patients ? It makes no sense what he said, whatsoever.

I heard today from another doctor who did his first year of pediatrics with Ayres at Yale from 1956-1957. This doctor also did his second year of pediatrics from 1957-1958. Ayres, meanwhile went on to take two years of adult psychiatry at Yale.

The doctor -who went on to become a psychiatrist and whom I will not name here in the event he is called to testify - distinctly remembers that in the out-patient pediatric clinic at Yale "that the parents were usually present for exams of both boys and girls." He doesn't recall anyone teaching him that boys didn't need a chaperon while being examined.

"Needless to say, genital exams were usually cursory and we did not do pelvics or rectals," said this doctor.

So, now we know that even in his one measly year of pediatrics at Yale that Ayres wasn't trained to give his "special brand" of rectal exams to boys.

Mercy--Isn't it a given that a medical expert will be called in the Bradley trial to state emphatically that catheterization of young girls for a simple urine sample is NOT standard practice? I would think that even the AMA has strict guidelines on such matters, even dating back to the fifties. I can't imagine that UCLA, Yale, or the University of Virginia would have been any different. Best practice is best practice, isn't it?

The rectal exam just fries me. Has Ayres given any insipid justification for that? I know my baby boys were rectally examined right after birth (as are girls) but I remember only a very few incidents of rectal exams (other than the ones after the disclosures) and that was due to an undescended testicle and a colon issue with one son. Those were big deals. I'm just curious as to what reason Ayres would attempt to float out there to justify a rectal exam.

Something comes to mind which I read on one of the William Percy links. It was about infant and child sexuality. A man, whom I believe was also a pederast/pedophile was talking about his first erection. He said that he remembered it vividly as it occurred during a routine rectal exam. I thought, WTH? Routine at three? Caused an erection? Maybe I'm missing something.

Missyizzy: Remember: Ayres is not a pediatrician. He is a child psychiatrist. Parents sent their boys to him to treat their minds. They had already been checked out by their pediatricians and the doctors had found nothing wrong with him.

Child psychiatrists in this country do not do physical exams on children in therapy. Not a single child psychiatrist Ayres trained with in Boston has said they did physicals of children in therapy.

And then, Ayres had only one year of pediatrics in his residency and was never board certified in pediatrics. Even the resident pediatricians at Yale who had more training than Ayres didn't do rectal exams on boys.

Ayres apparently has had no training in rectal exams. But he's a pedoophile and a pervert, and so he made up some reason to do them - despite the fact that he is a child psychiatrist and isn't supposed to be touching kids.

It just boggles my mind that the prosecution in the first trial went along with Ayres' lawyer that this was standard practice in Ayres' time.

Why the prosecution didn't think to dig into his training is beyond comprehension.

Missizzy: The doctor I spoke to who trained with Ayres and who said they didn't do rectal exams suggested I track down Dr. William Lattanzi, if he's still alive. He was chief pediatric resident at Yale when they were there, and he said Lattanzi would be able to give definitive answers.
I found a phone number for Lattanzi in Stratford, Connecticut but there's no answer. Not sure if he is still alive. I will contact Yale to find out more.

If you find anything, let me know. He worked in pediatrics at Yale for years.

In a post today, Missizzy has posted about the case of Oregon doctor Scott Raymond Strickland was arrested in January and has already pleaded guilty to molesting a boy from the age of 9 to 15.
He had already had his medical license stripped in 1999 for "inappropriate behavior" and for falsely claiming that he was board certified in internal medicine.
http://www.mycentraloregon.com/news/...using-boy.html

How is it that the Oregon district attorney's office was able to move so fast on this one? It was a mere six months between the time Strickland was arrested and his guilty plea.

Also, it was only eight months between the time the identical twin pediatricians Dr. Scott and Dr. Mark Blankenburg were arrested in Ohio and their convictions. This case was unbelievably complicated and involved 78 counts of child molestation, possession of child *advertiser censored* and bribery.

Since Dr. Earl Bradley was arrested in Delaware in December of 2009, he has not only been kept in prison but his prolific pedophile behavior (over 200 children molested) has resulted in sweeping changes in the state of Delaware that makes a chaperon mandatory when a doctor is examining a child.

In the case of Calgary, Alberta psychiatrist Dr. Aubrey Levin, charged with molesting males sent to him by the courts, the Alberta district attorney's office has gone back and interviewed everyone who was ever sent to Aubrin by the courts. They are doing this because the men's cases may have become tainted by Levin's examinations.

In the case of pedophile child psychiatrist Dr. Miguel Frontera, the Maryland Board of Physicians has permanently revoked his license, although he has yet to be criminally charged.

By contrast, it's been over three years since Ayres was arrested. Why hasn't anyone in San Mateo County done what the Calgary DA has done, and tried to determine which boys sent through the courts were molested?

Why hasn't San Mateo StateSenator Leland Yee - a child psychologist himself - proposed changes to California law on the issue of doctors having chaperons in the room, as they have already done in Delaware?

Why hasn't California Attorney General Jerry Brown permanently revoked Ayres' license, as Dr. Frontera's was in Baltimore?

Why didn't the San Mateo Civil grand jury take action after the San Mateo Citizens Review Panel gave them the names of doctors who strongly suspected Ayres was molesting boys and did nothing?

Why hasn't the San Mateo DA moved faster on the Ayres case- when it has been shown time and time again that around this country, other states can successfully criminally prosecute pedophile doctors more swiftly and decisively?

Those are, indeed, the million dollar questions, aren't they? I would dearly love to know the answers to them.

In Calgary, Alberta this week, psychiatrist Dr. Aubrey Levin was charged with 20 new counts of sexual abuse against his male patients. I admire the Alberta justice system for actually reviewing all of the court ordered cases Levin worked on to see if "there was a miscarriage of justice."

Dr. William Ayres had contracts with the juvenile courts for years. No one in the private defenders association or in the courts or the Attorney General's office has shown the slightest interest in finding out if Ayres molested the juvenile boys. We all know he did.

Here's an excerpt from the Globe and Mail on the Dr. Aubrey Levin story:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1657274/

A Calgary psychiatrist who has frequently testified in court now faces 21 sexual assault charges involving patients, some allegedly during court-ordered visits.

Dr. Aubrey Levin, 71, was first arrested and charged March 23 after allegations that a 36-year-old patient was repeatedly sexually assaulted.

Calgary Police said that following that charge, “the sex crimes unit was approached by numerous people alleging they, too, were sexually assaulted by Levin during counselling sessions or court-ordered visits.”

“These assaults allegedly occurred at Levin's Peter Lougheed (hospital) office or examination rooms.”

Dr. Levin has now been charged with 20 additional counts of sexual assault involving 20 other patients.

Alberta Justice has been reviewing all criminal cases in which Dr. Levin offered testimony to ensure there were no miscarriages of justice.

Mercyneal--I couldn't get your link to work but I found these that worked for me:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100730/health/health_crime_psychiatrist_sex_1

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/st...-psychiatrist-charges-new-twenty.html?ref=rss

"His defence lawyer, Alain Hepner, has said Levin planned to fight the original sexual assault allegations in court. He said that he expected the case to be long and complicated because Levin has been practising for more than 40 years."

That's probably quite the understatement.

I posted a thread last week about former doctor and flight attendant Scott Strickland of Portland, OR who pleaded guilty to a count of child rape and handed over 1.6 million dollars to his victim. He should be heading to prison right about now if he doesn't attempt the X-acto knife trick again. There were some comments on that thread that he'd been a doctor specializing in HIV in Minnessota.

I'm curious, does Strickland have any connections to Ayres? Do we know if Ayres visited in Portland? We know he met up with an Oregonian reporter (based in Portland) when he visited in Ashland for theatre.

I'm curious about Strickland as it sounds as if there were rumors about him and about staff "procuring children" for him and yet I can find no info on his years in Minnesota.

Missizzy: I don't believe Ayres met up with an Oregonian reporter when he was in Ashland for theater in 2008. Unless you are referring to a more recent visit by him?

It was his wife Solveig who blogged on the Ashland Shakespeare Festival blog about a play about fat people, and how most fat people she knows are "unhappy" with their lot in life. Like her morbidly obese husband, perhaps?

I have seen photos of him in his thirties. By about age 40 is when he started to pack on the pounds.

Anyone seen Ayres and Solveig at the festival this year?

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that the conversation concerning Ashland theatre by Ayres wife and several others mentioned her husband being in Ashland also. The reporter I'm referring to has young sons (at the time, 10 and 14). Ever since I read those posts (which have been removed from their original site), I was struck by the possibility that Ayres had an interest in those children. Those children live in Portland. The post was saved here:

http://williamayreswatch.blogspot.com/2008/08/on-solveig-ayres-part-1.html

“B: [EBM], As the parent of 14 and 10 year old boys”, you probably should NOT be hanging about with Solveig Ayres and her husband William Hamilton Ayres. Just google “William Hamilton Ayres” and you’ll see where I’m coming from...."

Please prove me wrong!!!

No, it wasn't a reporter. It was just a blogger, commenting on a show. In actuality, he did not attend any shows with Ayres or Solveig. Although the blogger did incidentally happen to mention he had young sons. Here's one line from his review that mentions one of his children:On the afternoon before his 14th birthday my elder son guffawed with pleasure throughout the show.

It was a victim of Ayres who wrote the comment warning the blogger with young sons to stay away from Ayres, should he ever cross paths with him.

Note Solveig's comment has been deleted on August 4. They deleted at least two comments. One of them was Solveig saying that the case against her husband was a "witch hunt."

http://www.artscatter.com/general/ashland-report-words-fail-and-rescue-the-festival/

Yup, just like the criminal case against Dr. Earl Bradley is a witch hunt.

That is interesting as it doesn't state the motive or purpose behind looking for people who remember Ayres. Hmmm. I can see this working both for and against locating appropriate witnesses and/or victims. What's your take on it Mercyneal and Belinda?

I'm trying to think of how I would respond if I, as a female non-victim, saw the man when I was a child. I think I would just think that he'd gone missing or that there might be some sort of malpractice suit against him. Truly being me, I guess I'd have to google him (even if I hadn't thought of him in decades). Then, I would see the motive and my memory might be jogged to something. I'm still not sure I'd call a phone number with no explanation.

If I were a victim, I think I'd be more than a little concerned to call an anonymous phone number and I'm all but certain, just the sight of him would trigger me. But, it also might make me research him and see what's going on.

Confusing.

I think the anonymous phone number is kind of odd and that may put anyone off from calling it. I know I wouldn't be comfortable calling a number having no idea who was on the other end or what their motivation for placing the ad is. I think they should have been a little more open in the goal for the ad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back