CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that's been bothering me is the night of the town meeting of several hundred people, where the man stands up & tells the men you need to protect the women, that wouldnt happen if you stood up to him, & then the same man & his girl become victims.

How does he follow them.home is my question? If you're at a gathering like this, you've parked your car probably no where near this guys car.......so by the time he gets out to his car, how does he know what car they're in?

What if he followed the man out to his car & wrote down the license plate? What job other than a police officer would have access to information on license plates, & this is the 1970's, no internet, no nothing, how else can you get this information?

Or does he leave the meeting quickly before everyone else gets to their car & he maneuvers his car towards the exit of the parking lot & follows the man after he sees the guy......(can this really have happened this way? I don't think so)

The way this guy planned his escapes, his attacks, & maneuvered is unreal.......I've never heard of anyone putting in so much time & effort into his evil deeds.

Something that's been bothering me is the night of the town meeting of several hundred people, where the man stands up & tells the men you need to protect the women, that wouldnt happen if you stood up to him, & then the same man & his girl become victims.

How does he follow them.home is my question? If you're at a gathering like this, you've parked your car probably no where near this guys car.......so by the time he gets out to his car, how does he know what car they're in?

What if he followed the man out to his car & wrote down the license plate? What job other than a police officer would have access to information on license plates, & this is the 1970's, no internet, no nothing, how else can you get this information?

Or does he leave the meeting quickly before everyone else gets to their car & he maneuvers his car towards the exit of the parking lot & follows the man after he sees the guy......(can this really have happened this way? I don't think so)

The way this guy planned his escapes, his attacks, & maneuvered is unreal.......I've never heard of anyone putting in so much time & effort into his evil deeds.

Refresh, town meeting.
Maybe EARS already knew the man who said that other men should be able to protect their wives?
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article85174522.html
“We had set up traps on the phones of victims, and he called the one who didn’t have a trap on her phone,” said Carol Daly, who retired as Sacramento County undersheriff in 2001, and was one of the original investigators on the case.

Daly remembers how she and her colleagues would hold community meetings to ease fears and answer questions. At one meeting, a man stood up and berated law enforcement and, by extension, the victims of the East Area Rapist. Daly remembers the man saying he didn’t think it was possible for an intruder to break into a home without someone fighting back.

Not long after, someone broke into that man’s home and assaulted his wife, Daly said.

“I know the rapist was at that community meeting,” said Daly, now 76.

Refresh, town meeting.
Maybe EARS already knew the man who said that other men should be able to protect their wives?
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/marcos-breton/article85174522.html

More than 6,000 suspects were checked out & cleared, including many sheriffs deputies.......there were 34 investigators on this case, & yet he gets away?

GSK was one lucky serial killer & rapist. Everything went his way usually, & if it didn't, he easily adapted to the situation.

The cops set traps on the phones of victims, & the one victim they didn't set a trap, he calls? If this story never happenef, you couldn't make a believable movie about this guy because nobody would think its possible to get away with as much stuff as he has.......I still think detectives spoke to the GSK, but somehow he was cleared because he's a chameleon, he hides so well amongst the public, it seems he never showed what his evil side is like duringn the day in public, & he's certainly quiet, never telling anyone what he's done.

Refresh, town meeting.

Forgot to mention, if GSK knew the man that stood up at the meeting, I would say its a small world, but he had a knack for finding out information that most of us even now a days have a problem with.

Also, why is the reward so small? $50,000? If someone is gonna turn a loved one in, I don't think it will be for 50k, make it 500k, then we're talking.......although it may make it harder for detectives with everyone trying to cash in on the big money with false leads all over the place.

The Zodiac is $100,000, that's small as well.........may they don't think either case can ever be solved, hence the small reward in both cases.

The Florida serial killer that was randomly shooting people at night was $110,000, & the killer was just getting started.

These old cases are very hard to crack.

Refresh, town meeting.

Has this already been mentioned? What if GSK attended the public meeting, and wrote down the man’s name if the victim stood to speak (or found his name if it was printed in the newspaper)? If GSK had access to a white pages (residential phone book), it’d be easy to find their phone number, address, and often whether or not they’re married.

Has this already been mentioned? What if GSK attended the public meeting, and wrote down the man’s name if the victim stood to speak (or found his name if it was printed in the newspaper)? If GSK had access to a white pages (residential phone book), it’d be easy to find their phone number, address, and often whether or not they’re married.

Good point......if his first & last name were in the paper, then he may have been at the meeting or maybe he wasn't. If GSK read the paper which he most certainly read everything he could get his eyes on about his evil deeds, I'm sure nosey reporters asked the man standing what his first & last name was to write their story.

Even.if GSK was at the meeting, how clear would it have been.to hear the man standing to say his first & last name, the 70's technology is nothing like we have today.

In the 70's & 80's, most people had their numbers & addresses in the phone book & every house received a phone book.

Does anyone have the original articles of the news papers the days after that meeting to see if his first & last name were posted?

https://truecrimearticles.com/2018/01/30/the-east-area-rapist-part-2/
Craig BerryPosted on January 30, 2018
[h=1]Town Hall Meeting[/h]
ear-town-hall-photo.png
November 1977 – Town Hall Meeting in Mira Loma Victim nine was the only attack to occur during the month of November 1976. There are a few interesting things that happened during this month. For one, the media was able to start covering these cases because the blackout was officially lifted. The crimes were becoming mainstreamed to the citizens of California. Furthermore, the infamous town hall meeting(s) took place as well at Del Dayo Elementary School.

On the second evening of the town hall meetings being held by Detective Richard Shelby and his partner, Carol Daly, an angry man stood up from the aisle and frustratingly yelled that where he was from in Italy, this matter would have already been resolved, and no man would allow his wife to be raped in front of him. Soon after, he left the meeting. Afterward, two more nights of the conference were held.

The common misunderstanding relates particularly to the Italian man who berated the detective(s) during the second night assembly. Seven months later on May 17, 1977, the residence of this individual was attacked and his wife was subsequently raped. They became the 21st victims of the East Area Rapist. More interestingly, his home was practically across the street from the elementary school where the meeting was held. However, the misconception that ran its course was the victim was targeted and attacked in the following days of the initial outcry (other falsehoods stated the attack happened a week after). Thus, people began clamoring the notorious serial rapist was in attendance.

While it’s entirely possible the East Area Rapist was present in some of the meetings, it cannot be positively determined. That begs the question, why did he attack that particular family, and did he know about the proclamation of the husband? It’s possible it could have been a coincidence. A part of the aggressor’s MO is to survey his soon-to-be victims for an extended amount of time before striking. His planning was done meticulously, so it’s likely he took note of the Italian male for later. That being said, this criminal operated in this vicinity often. With fifty rapes, claiming this attack was coincidental isn’t that much of a stretch.

Next, the popular photos that are typically associated with the town hall meetings. This is an area where many people get confused on because of the extensive amount of misinformation, so I’d like to throw out a disclaimer now: Some people say these photos were taken during the first set of meetings in November of 1976. Others say they were captured in November of 1977 — the second annual meetings due to the perpetrator not being apprehended within the timeframe. However, the photographs taken happened in November of 1977 in Mira Loma.

Good point......if his first & last name were in the paper, then he may have been at the meeting or maybe he wasn't. If GSK read the paper which he most certainly read everything he could get his eyes on about his evil deeds, I'm sure nosey reporters asked the man standing what his first & last name was to write their story.

Even.if GSK was at the meeting, how clear would it have been.to hear the man standing to say his first & last name, the 70's technology is nothing like we have today.

In the 70's & 80's, most people had their numbers & addresses in the phone book & every house received a phone book.

Does anyone have the original articles of the news papers the days after that meeting to see if his first & last name were posted?

When you stand up to speak at one of those community meetings, you are asked to state your name before you begin.

All EARS had to do was jot down the name and look it up in the phone book at any phone booth.

Microfilm and microfiche at libraries, online at places like newspaper.com, larger papers like the LA Times would have what’s called a “morgue” or research archives of some kind.

Forgot to mention, if GSK knew the man that stood up at the meeting, I would say its a small world, but he had a knack for finding out information that most of us even now a days have a problem with.

Also, why is the reward so small? $50,000? If someone is gonna turn a loved one in, I don't think it will be for 50k, make it 500k, then we're talking.......although it may make it harder for detectives with everyone trying to cash in on the big money with false leads all over the place.

The Zodiac is $100,000, that's small as well.........may they don't think either case can ever be solved, hence the small reward in both cases.

The Florida serial killer that was randomly shooting people at night was $110,000, & the killer was just getting started.

These old cases are very hard to crack.

I imagine it depends where the money’s coming from, at least in part. Public funds, private, organizations and community groups, federal, family, etc.

Could the “punishment” map be a sort of amalgam of neighborhoods he stalked? Maybe parts of several neighborhoods put together in a map only he could really decipher, instead of a drawing of just one neighborhood?

Apologies if this idea has already been discussed and ruled out.

5c21fe8c1bbdc6425235702eb9ac0629.jpeg

782616c9f52d7ef6b09632d2b8575331.jpg

Also, microphone systems and PA’s existed in the 70s and 80s. Even if that town hall didn’t utilize them, iirc, recent coverage said the meeting a few hundred people, not thousands of people.

The basic mic-PA technology back then, tbh, wasn’t much different than what’s used today. The victim who stood to speak would have been heard clearly.

Local media and TV covered it at the time, too, yeah? I could be wrong; someone please correct me if I am! [emoji106]❤️

All they would have to do is know the first and last name and pay for a background check.

Not sure he’s even have to pay for a background check. Personal info is startlingly easy to find these days, especially if he kept a souvenir like a driver’s license, or checkbook or other ID. Back then they often had their ss# printed on them, too. IMO

I don't think that they will ever catch this guy.

I agree, this guy was very lucky to have gotten away so many times during his 10 year rape & kill run, for whatever reason, he stopped......maybe he thought his luck was gonna run out, but serial killers like GSK that are so obsessive, its strange how he suddenly quit.

He had a huge appetite to make others suffer, but he stopped, & if he's still alive, he was intelligent enough with self control to stop knowing DNA testing was coming.

I would like to see him reach out like BTK did, but I don't think he's stupid like BTK was in believing what cops told him.

Could the “punishment” map be a sort of amalgam of neighborhoods he stalked? Maybe parts of several neighborhoods put together in a map only he could really decipher, instead of a drawing of just one neighborhood?

Apologies if this idea has already been discussed and ruled out.

5c21fe8c1bbdc6425235702eb9ac0629.jpeg

782616c9f52d7ef6b09632d2b8575331.jpg

Its amazing how GSK could draw properties/neighborhoods like he did on this paper if he wasn't in the business. As much time he invested in stalking/voyeurism/planning, how did he have any available time to actually gave a job, I don't think he worked at all.

Its amazing how GSK could draw properties/neighborhoods like he did on this paper if he wasn't in the business. As much time he invested in stalking/voyeurism/planning, how did he have any available time to actually gave a job, I don't think he worked at all.

I wonder, would maps diagramming neighborhoods/developments like this be available for public view, like in libraries or someplace similar? Could he have hand-copied them?

I imagine it depends where the money’s coming from, at least in part. Public funds, private, organizations and community groups, federal, family, etc.

GSK probably has a private room in his basement with all his souvenirs from his crimes......could have them in a storage unit also. If he got married & had a family (which I don't believe he ever got married), but if he did, his kids or wife might suspect something or have seen something.

Then again, BTK had all his souvenirs in a side storage room next to his house but it was always locked up, can see the same by GSK.......freaking guy was carrying expensive China set dishes down the street after commuting a crime, guy was definitely "one of a kind of all serial killers" from every other case.

If he's not a hermit, someone has to know something, but would they give him up for 50k, & if he's from a rich family, 50k is nothing.

I wonder, would maps diagramming neighborhoods/developments like this be available for public view, like in libraries or someplace similar? Could he have hand-copied them?

I believe if you work for the township/county, you could easily have access to these plans.......another way would be to break into the building, copy the development plans, & get out.

Knowing how prolific & successful of a serial burglar he was, I wouldn't put it past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcee