CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your best bet is to figure out where this uncle was during the timeline, particularly his age related to the Visalia Ransacker crimes, which are highly likely to be the same guy. In Visalia, there were dozens of break-ins and that happened before the Sacramento rapes. Does his age match up with those crimes (that is, would he have been old enough, say 16+). Check the Rancho Cordova yearbooks to see if he is pictured anywhere. I would also recommend watching the four-part series (on Amazon, or you can watch it on youtube if highly annoying repetitive commercials don't bother you) about the case because it does give more detail about the guy. I also read (can't remember where) that he said in a phone called he'd been in the Stockton mental hospital (of course that could've been a lie). Also you might directly try contacting detective Paul Holes (see documentary I referred to, above). I dunno, that's all pretty random & wish I could do more to help.

Has anyone read Michelle McNamara's book yet? If so, how is it? And does she provide any new information on the case? I really want to read it, but I'm swamped for the next few months and probably won't be able to read it until summer while on vacation.

Also, has the FBI ever considered DNA phenotyping by using Snapshot results since they now have EARON's DNA? The reason I ask is because the police in charge of an unsolved local murder in my area announced today they used Snapshot. They processed and tested an unknown person's DNA at the crime scene of a double murder in 1985. And the Snapshots of the person's DNA phenotyping recreated possible facial reconstructions of the unknown suspect at ages 25, 45 and 65. I know there are quite a few agencies here in the U.S. that are now using Snaphot for their unsolved cases with unknown DNA that is involved.

I believe the DNA phenotyping of EARON's DNA could give a very possible likeness of his face from the 1970s to present.

https://snapshot.parabon-nanolabs.com

Has anyone read Michelle McNamara's book yet? If so, how is it? And does she provide any new information on the case? I really want to read it, but I'm swamped for the next few months and probably won't be able to read it until summer while on vacation.

Also, has the FBI ever considered DNA phenotyping by using Snapshot results since they now have EARON's DNA? The reason I ask is because the police in charge of an unsolved local murder in my area announced today they used Snapshot. They processed and tested an unknown person's DNA at the crime scene of a double murder in 1985. And the Snapshots of the person's DNA phenotyping recreated possible facial reconstructions of the unknown suspect at ages 25, 45 and 65. I know there are quite a few agencies here in the U.S. that are now using Snaphot for their unsolved cases with unknown DNA that is involved.

I believe the DNA phenotyping of EARON's DNA could give a very possible likeness of his face from the 1970s to present.

I read it. I didn't have a good background of the case before I read it so a lot of it was new to me. I've read other reviews saying they were disappointed it didn't have anything new-new though.

Parts of it were confusing to me and I wished she'd included a better timeline of names, dates, and attacks, but then she didn't get to finish it. :( It's very obvious which parts were complete before she died and which parts are put together from notes and although that's kind of jarring at times it's another interesting thing to see her process - the examples of how the fleshed-out and completed chapters had started with notes.

Overall it was a fascinating look into the case and the woman. I think most of us could identify with her obsessiveness, original interest in true crime, and envy the access she got to journalists and law enforcement surrounding EAR/ONS.

I read it. I didn't have a good background of the case before I read it so a lot of it was new to me. I've read other reviews saying they were disappointed it didn't have anything new-new though.

Parts of it were confusing to me and I wished she'd included a better timeline of names, dates, and attacks, but then she didn't get to finish it. :( It's very obvious which parts were complete before she died and which parts are put together from notes and although that's kind of jarring at times it's another interesting thing to see her process - the examples of how the fleshed-out and completed chapters had started with notes.

Overall it was a fascinating look into the case and the woman. I think most of us could identify with her obsessiveness, original interest in true crime, and envy the access she got to journalists and law enforcement surrounding EAR/ONS.

Thanks, bluesneakers, for your micro review. I appreciate it. I will have to read the book eventually.

I read it and was dissapointed. For the length of time Michelle had been working on the book I was surprized how little she actually wrote.

I read it and was dissapointed. For the length of time Michelle had been working on the book I was surprized how little she actually wrote.

Thank you, colette. That's very surprising to hear. Especially since she died right before it was completed. I wonder if the first draft of her manuscript was mostly just notes?

I think your best bet is to figure out where this uncle was during the timeline, particularly his age related to the Visalia Ransacker crimes, which are highly likely to be the same guy. In Visalia, there were dozens of break-ins and that happened before the Sacramento rapes. Does his age match up with those crimes (that is, would he have been old enough, say 16+). Check the Rancho Cordova yearbooks to see if he is pictured anywhere. I would also recommend watching the four-part series (on Amazon, or you can watch it on youtube if highly annoying repetitive commercials don't bother you) about the case because it does give more detail about the guy. I also read (can't remember where) that he said in a phone called he'd been in the Stockton mental hospital (of course that could've been a lie). Also you might directly try contacting detective Paul Holes (see documentary I referred to, above). I dunno, that's all pretty random & wish I could do more to help.

Thanks for the tips. I am not sure this person would match up with the Visalia Ransacker, so there is that too. I believe he lived in Reseda and went to a high school there. However, according to the son, LE are already investigating this person. The problem is that no DNA is available. He was cremated, both his parents were cremated, and he had no children or siblings.

I'm listening to it on audible while taking notes and searching. I find it more helpful than "reading reading". I didn't know all that much about it before but I think if you go in with the idea that it's not JUST about the EAR but about the victims, neighbors of victims, original investigators, etc, you'll find it really enjoyable. She paints a beautiful picture of the whole setting and she went into some real depth here. I also listened to the My Favorite Murder podcast about Michelle's book and found it to be really amazing how she would listen to the music of the time and drive to the scenes.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up previously in the 80+ pages but I'm curious and maybe someone can explain this to me...

Why was the profession of Landscape Architect focused on for potential careers of EAR? I understand they would have knowledge of exteriors as well as basic knowledge of interiors of homes but it just seems off to me.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up previously in the 80+ pages but I'm curious and maybe someone can explain this to me...

Why was the profession of Landscape Architect focused on for potential careers of EAR? I understand they would have knowledge of exteriors as well as basic knowledge of interiors of homes but it just seems off to me.

This is for a few reasons.

The first being the punishment map, which looks like a planning developers map.

The second reason that at that time in California, the cul da sac homes being built were all essentially identical depending on the subdivisions. Many of the homes broken into were from the same designer thus leading to the theory it was someone who was either designing the homes or someone who was a planner of some sort. These subdivisions were all rather new areas (someone correct me if im wrong, thats just what I gathered from following rhe case for a few years.)

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

I’m reading it now. It’s a great read, imo! I love Michelle’s voice.

The four-part series that’s been running on HLN (there’s a complimentary podcast that goes with it and has even more interviews, etc.!) mentions phenotyping, but LE sort of dodges the question. I think they’re using it, but their reasoning is the technology is still pretty new and they’re unsure how scientifically reliable it really is. ... Holding that info close to their vests, so to speak. IMO

I even wondered if it was used in the most recent sketch released by LE, but, again, the police sort of dodge the question.

There’s a three- or four-part “partner” podcast about the book and writing process. I strongly suggest it. It goes into detail about just how much info she was digging through, the researching, etc.

It’s done by HarperCollins, the book publisher.

https://m.soundcloud.com/ill-be-gone-in-the-dark-the-podcast

I'm listening to it on audible while taking notes and searching. I find it more helpful than "reading reading". I didn't know all that much about it before but I think if you go in with the idea that it's not JUST about the EAR but about the victims, neighbors of victims, original investigators, etc, you'll find it really enjoyable. She paints a beautiful picture of the whole setting and she went into some real depth here. I also listened to the My Favorite Murder podcast about Michelle's book and found it to be really amazing how she would listen to the music of the time and drive to the scenes.

Did you listen to the book store episode last week?

The second reason that at that time in California, the cul da sac homes being built were all essentially identical depending on the subdivisions. Many of the homes broken into were from the same designer thus leading to the theory it was someone who was either designing the homes or someone who was a planner of some sort. These subdivisions were all rather new areas (someone correct me if im wrong, thats just what I gathered from following rhe case for a few years.)

Very interesting! I can see where someone might be leaning that way about the offender's background. I could also see it being someone in city planning or a municipality's planning office. The athleticism and patience is something that seems like it might be a stretch for someone in that type of employment though. I wonder if they ever gave any time to looking at city planners or someone who would have worked for the developers in an office role.

The only hang up I have with those being possible jobs for the EAR is that it seems they did a lot of preparation and stalking before action. Having a background in landscape architecture myself, I know that working hours are inconsistent and can have a lot of long nights therefore leading me to think they probably couldn't have had too much time to spend stalking or if they did, it wasn't with enough consistency to where they would get to know so many details.

There’s a three- or four-part “partner” podcast about the book and writing process. I strongly suggest it. It goes into detail about just how much info she was digging through, the researching, etc.

It’s done by HarperCollins, the book publisher.

https://m.soundcloud.com/ill-be-gone-in-the-dark-the-podcast

Thanks. The thing is I had been following the progress of the book when she was alive and listened to her interviews. I just expected she would have had more written. They finished the book for her. The book is entertaining but that wasn't the orginal purpose of the book. After following these crimes since the rapes I felt the book was going to really make a difference, maybe even catch the killer. I had high hopes and was just crushed when she died. I have all the books on EAR/ONS except Kats. This is not at the top of the list. If you want to be entertained fine, if you are looking for clues to the killer it won't help you.

It's funny, to me the punishment map looks like something a kid/teenager would draw. I would hope a developer would be able to draw a better map than that.

Thanks. The thing is I had been following the progress of the book when she was alive and listened to her interviews. I just expected she would have had more written. They finished the book for her. The book is entertaining but that wasn't the orginal purpose of the book. After following these crimes since the rapes I felt the book was going to really make a difference, maybe even catch the killer. I had high hopes and was just crushed when she died. I have all the books on EAR/ONS except Kats. This is not at the top of the list. If you want to be entertained fine, if you are looking for clues to the killer it won't help you.

In your opinion. [emoji6][emoji106]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member