CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I understand correctly they simply matched a DNA profile to someone who had theirs open for viewing in a website. The potluck dinner example was very helpful. I see nothing legally wrong with what they did.

Maybe this has been addressed before but the thread moves so fast (I didn't even realize this was already thread #2) so forgive me if I'm echoing - but isn't the method LE used here the same thing the DNA Doe Project used/did when they identified Buckskin Girl?

I'm reading on other web sites that there may be a valid challenge to the use of familial DNA that led to JJD coming under suspicion. References to invasion of the relative's privacy, unauthorized use of DNA, etc.

Any lawyers here who could comment on that?
the relative uploaded their DNA to a public site knowingly for the purpose of sharing their DNA with the public to find matches so there is no violation of privacy or unauthorized use here at all.

From reading around here and in different forums/articles, the way people are talking about the DNA, there is definitely a lack of understanding on what gedmatch is and how it works and how LE used it.

I'm reading on other web sites that there may be a valid challenge to the use of familial DNA that led to JJD coming under suspicion. References to invasion of the relative's privacy, unauthorized use of DNA, etc.

If the relative had their DNA profile public on the site then there is no legal issue. I think there is a misunderstanding on what LE did and didn’t do.

Maybe this has been addressed before but the thread moves so fast (I didn't even realize this was already thread #2) so forgive me if I'm echoing - but isn't the method LE used here the same thing the DNA Doe Project used/did when they identified Buckskin Girl?
Yes it is.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-genealogy-site-serial-killer-20180427-story.html

Police using genetic sites misidentified Oregon man as Golden State serial killer suspect in 2017

[FONT=&amp]Associated Press
APRIL 27, 2018, 6:26 pm

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Investigators hunting down the so-called Golden State Killer used information from genetic websites last year that led to the wrong man, court records obtained Friday by The Associated Press showed.
An Oregon police officer working at the request of California investigators persuaded a judge to order a 73-year-old man in an Oregon City nursing home to provide a DNA sample.
It's not clear if officers collected the sample and ran further tests, but it was not the man arrested this week outside Sacramento in one of the state's most notorious string of serial rapes and killings.
The case of mistaken identity was discovered as authorities hailed a novel use of DNA technology that led this week to the arrest of former police officer Joseph DeAngelo at his house outside Sacramento on murder charges. He's suspected of being the sadistic attacker who killed 13 people and raped nearly 50 women during the 1970s and '80s.[/FONT]
[...]
I bet my bottom dollar he's related to JJD.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The sites policies are very clear. Owner issued a statement about GSK. It was fair game and I am thrilled. McNamara talked about it in her book. Offenders should be very worried. Let’s take them all down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

over 50 years ago, I was fortunate enough to escape from a predator. After all these years, it was still with me. I felt a measure of relief to discover through the internet that he died of natural causes in a Florida prison several years ago. He raped and killed for his lifetime, interspersed with serving time. I saw his mugshot as an old man and still felt the fear I felt as a child of nine. I am all onboard supporting these investigations and survivors. There is no statute of limitation on justice.
laces

over 50 years ago, I was fortunate enough to escape from a predator. After all these years, it was still with me. I felt a measure of relief to discover through the internet that he died of natural causes in a Florida prison several years ago. He raped and killed for his lifetime, interspersed with serving time. I saw his mugshot as an old man and still felt the fear I felt as a child of nine. I am all onboard supporting these investigations and survivors. There is no statute of limitation on justice.
laces

Just wanted to say I'm so sorry you had to go through that, @laces. You're a #survivor.

Maybe dazed, he can't believe anyone actually caught him. I'm sure he will try to sleep through his trial. His lawyer is kind of making me nauseous with her gentle touch on his shoulder.

the relative uploaded their DNA to a public site knowingly for the purpose of sharing their DNA with the public to find matches so there is no violation of privacy or unauthorized use here at all.

From reading around here and in different forums/articles, the way people are talking about the DNA, there is definitely a lack of understanding on what gedmatch is and how it works and how LE used it.

Agree and there is a pretty strong disclosure on the GEDmatch sign-in page that warns that GEDmatch cannot predict how others might use their information and if they are uncomfortable with this, they shouldn't upload their DNA to the site. I haven't gone in there for a while, but there is probably another disclosure before a person actually uploads their DNA.

I'm not an attorney, but I'm not seeing how the relative's privacy was violated. They voluntarily put their DNA on the website, along with a family tree with the specific intention of sharing it with others. I'm sure they never anticipated they had a serial murderer/rapist in their extended family and that their DNA would help LE find the responsible party.

If LE used my DNA to catch a monster, I'd initially be horrified that such a person even existed in my extended family, but ultimately, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy that my information provided LE what they needed to identify a suspect and that they were able to get the guy off the streets and to begin the process of seeking justice for the victims and their families.

IMO, the DNA match between the killer and the relative must have been rather compelling to get the attention of LE, but the family tree they posted online sealed the deal for LE. I think if anyone is concerned that there might be a violent criminal somewhere in their extended family, and if they want to protect this criminal, then don't post a family tree online!

If LE used my DNA to catch a monster, I'd initially be horrified that such a person even existed in my extended family, but ultimately, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy that my information provided LE what they needed to identify a suspect and that they were able to get the guy off the streets and to begin the process of seeking justice for the victims and their families.

Agree 100%.

Hooray for DNA- and if mine were used to catch a killer or rapist, I'd be ok with that.

What? There's plenty reason to act frail. It's his only chance to garner ANY sympathy at all. The kicker is, though that 72 IS NOT THAT OLD. I don't know who you guys hang out with, but I don't know plenty of people in their 70s and they are spitfires. It you are ill or have medical issues, of course, the scenario is different. But if you are healthy enough to ride a bike or a motorcycle. or build a table -- the guy was spry two days ago. I will accept he is an alcoholic who is doped up to aid withdrawal. That may come out with more news. But he is perfectly fine. It's all an act, put together by his attorney who told press she "is honored" to be his attorney. As if he's some elder statesman, for God's sake.

Mick Jagger is two years older than this guy. 72 isn't elderly. It's not like when people hit their 80s and 90s. I've noticed at least a decline that came in my mother and in-laws as they inch up their 80s (my mom is 84, I'm 54).

I don't see him as frail. He just retired from his job 2 weeks before. Building tables, riding bikes, etc.

Has the last couple days been a shock to him? I bet it has. I can only imagine thinking you've gotten away with these horrific crimes and laughing at all the renewed interest. And scoffing at that letter McNamera wrote to him at the end of her book. Then all of a sudden you're caught.

If he indeed is on some kind of food/water hunger strike? Maybe that is part of it? Or maybe he thinks he could get put away in a hospital instead of general population jail?

I think he knows he can't get out of this, so is trying to find a way to make things the most comfortable as possible for him.

Makes me wonder how many innocent people were prosecuted before DNA came along.........also, with how the suspect kept evading dragnets, surveillance of neighborhoods & these cops had night visions googles received from the military & he evaded all of it.......how do you not think its someone on the inside? Had to be a cop, but I guess they didn't want to believe it even tho they speculated on it......also, EAR/GSK had some incredible luck as well, it goes along with his preparations & inside info.

Yes had to be. Like James Burke. How hard was it to bust that sick Perv. How much did he get away with?Before he finally got busted? Just because he was a cop.

I bet my bottom dollar he's related to JJD.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I bet you are right! The title used in this article is a bit misleading, IMO and seems to infer that LE made a mistake using DNA. But the article then goes on to say that the Oregon man was eliminated as a suspect, and this was likely after they did a comparison of his DNA and the DNA of DeAngelo from the crime scenes.

I thought the same when I watched him at the hearing. He's faking being weak and ill. He's a Grade A psychopath, a pathological liar who is expert at manipulating people. His own neighbors said he had been outside his garage working on a table just before the arrest.
I can't believe anyone is fool enough to believe the poor little guy act.
There really is a sucker born every minute. Guys like little Joe count on that.

Maybe it is just because mobster James Joseph" Whitey" Bulger Jr. and Joseph James Deangelo Jr. share reversed first two names, and " junior " tacked on at the end, but they both have the same look in their eyes, imo, speculation. fwiw.

attachment.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitey_Bulger
attachment.php

http://people.com/crime/golden-state-killer-suspect-surprised-by-arrest/

Attachments

• joseph-james-deangelo.jpg
    joseph-james-deangelo.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 303
  • 330px-Whitey_Bulger_US_Marshals_Service_Mug1.jpg
    330px-Whitey_Bulger_US_Marshals_Service_Mug1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 301
Police officers and neighbors witnessed him just the other day riding his motorcycle, building a table in perfect health. I trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member