CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If people are interesting here is a recently posted video about the case with Paul Holes and Dr Barbara Rae-Venter talking about how they identified the suspect Joseph DeAngelo in this case:

Ho-hum. Not much happening here, huh?
serveimage

The prosecutor is asking for a new DNA sample--the defense is trying to block it. I'm wondering if it's just business as usual or they're working on tying him to an additional crime.

I'm linking to the Mercury News story because the Sacramento Bee story is paywall locked to so many people.

Prosecutors want new DNA from Golden State Killer suspect

The prosecutor is asking for a new DNA sample--the defense is trying to block it. I'm wondering if it's just business as usual or they're working on tying him to an additional crime.

I'm linking to the Mercury News story because the Sacramento Bee story is paywall locked to so many people.

I can't access it - used up all my "free" access - can someone give a 10% synopsis on this please? TIA! :)

I'd like to update my notes.

I can't access it - used up all my "free" access - can someone give a 10% synopsis on this please? TIA! :)

I'd like to update my notes.
''Prosecutors won approval of the search warrant from Sacramento Superior Court Judge Steve White at 8:26 a.m. on Feb. 3 and planned to obtain swabs of his cheeks the next morning at the Sacramento County Main Jail, court records say.

“The order signed by Judge White authorizes force to be used if Mr. DeAngelo refuses to comply with the taking of the buccal swabs,” according to documents filed by DeAngelo’s public defenders, who complained that they learned of the attempt on “extraordinarily short notice.”

“The warrant was provided to defense counsel more than five hours later, at 1:51 p.m. on February 3rd,” the defense wrote in a motion to stop the warrant from being served.

Prosecutors agreed to hold off until the end of the day on Feb. 4, but White ultimately ordered them to hold off pending a hearing on the matter March 12.''

''Precise details of why prosecutors are seeking new DNA are not revealed in the documents; the judge sealed the 85-page search warrant affidavit.''

WOW It sure does sound like they suspect him of more crimes:eek::eek::eek: MOO

Joseph DeAngelo is going to pass away by the time we get the trial going. I understand these things can get tied up for years and this case is quite complex, but still is frustrating.
I can not imagine what was found in his home. I wonder how many items from victims he kept over the years, if any.

He has offered to plead guilty to not face the death penalty. Why would the state waste the money to continue with a trial, when he will most likely die sooner than later?

If D'A is so ill that he is likely on his way out, why would he care if he was put to death or not, is this his last ultimate act of control, is he afraid? speculation, imo.
Golden State Killer suspect, 74, makes surprise offer to plead GUILTY | Daily Mail Online
''DeAngelo has made a surprise offer to plead guilty in the serial killer case if prosecutors take the death penalty off the table.

'Mr. DeAngelo is 74 years old,' his defense wrote in a motion filed this week. 'He has offered to plead to the charges with a lifetime sentence.'

DeAngelo is charged with 13 counts of murder and 13 counts of kidnapping in the Golden State Killer's sick spree of violence in northern California in the 1970s and 80s.

Investigators believe he committed some 50 rapes and hundreds of home invasions. The statute of limitations has expired on those crimes, however, making them impossible to charge.''

rbbm
Suspected Golden State Killer seeks plea deal to avoid death penalty
''Accused of 13 murders and more than 50 rapes, suspected Golden State Killer Joseph DeAngelo is finally set to answer for his alleged crimes, but according to a court filing from his defense attorney, he's hoping to avoid a trial.

This dismissal motion filed in Sacramento County Court late Monday says he would plead guilty to his charges in exchange for a lifetime sentence to put the death penalty off the table.

“It might be best to just resolve it now, the cost, not just in money, but in time and happiness that will be drained out that never comes back.” said attorney Mark Reichel.

He points to the $20 million the lengthy trial is expected to cost taxpayers as one of the reasons to take a plea deal.''

''Sacramento Assemblyman Jim Cooper said these victims deserve their day in court if they want it.

“Just think about if that was your daughter, your mother, your sister that this happened to years ago, and you missed all that time with them by them being a murder victim. How would you feel? So we’re got to think about the victims here. It’s not always about the suspect,” Cooper said.''

''DeAngelo is expected back in court on March 12.''

He has offered to plead guilty to not face the death penalty. Why would the state waste the money to continue with a trial, when he will most likely die sooner than later?

Could a trial reveal any new information that could possibly solve more unsolved rapes and murders? If that is the case, then I can understand the case going forward. Or perhaps a trial would give the victims an opportunity to finally face this monster who terrorized them and they can have a voice. Only things I can think of at the moment. But yes, trials are extremely costly.

Anyone recall the Robert Stack Unsolved Mysteries episode with the Original Night Stalker/East Bay Rapist.
I remember seeing this when it aired. It was so terrifying. I remember thinking "wow, this guy is putting dishes on people's backs to make sure they don't move or get away?"

I think it is season 12 on amazon prime

rbbm
Suspected Golden State Killer seeks plea deal to avoid death penalty
''Accused of 13 murders and more than 50 rapes, suspected Golden State Killer Joseph DeAngelo is finally set to answer for his alleged crimes, but according to a court filing from his defense attorney, he's hoping to avoid a trial.

This dismissal motion filed in Sacramento County Court late Monday says he would plead guilty to his charges in exchange for a lifetime sentence to put the death penalty off the table.

“It might be best to just resolve it now, the cost, not just in money, but in time and happiness that will be drained out that never comes back.” said attorney Mark Reichel.

He points to the $20 million the lengthy trial is expected to cost taxpayers as one of the reasons to take a plea deal.''

''Sacramento Assemblyman Jim Cooper said these victims deserve their day in court if they want it.

“Just think about if that was your daughter, your mother, your sister that this happened to years ago, and you missed all that time with them by them being a murder victim. How would you feel? So we’re got to think about the victims here. It’s not always about the suspect,” Cooper said.''

''DeAngelo is expected back in court on March 12.''

If his defense attorney is for it, I'm against it.

Thursday, March 12th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 1:30pm PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - *Joseph James DeAngelo (29 @ time of crime/74/now 75) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea. Judge entered a not guilty plea (1/22/20). Sacramento County.
Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather’s) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch).
8/22/18 Update: amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes. Nine in Sacramento and four in Contra Costa County-stemming from sexual assaults.
4/27/18 Update: charged in Ventura County of 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura.
5/10/18 Update: charged in Santa Barbara County of the 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances, where investigators believe he killed Dr. Robert Offerman (44) & Dr. Debra Alexandria Manning (35) on December 30, 1979 and Cheri Domingo (35) & Gregory Sanchez (27) on July 27, 1981, all in Goleta. Each carries a possible sentence of death or life in prison without parole.
5/11/18 Update: charged in Orange County with 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances. Patrice Harrington (28) & Keith Harrington (24) on 8/19/80 in Dana Point and Manuela Witthuhn (21) on 2/26/81 in Irvine & Janelle Lisa Cruz (18) on 5/4/86 in Irvine.
8/13/18 Update: charged in Tulare County with 1 count of 1st degree murder with use of a firearm in the death of Claude Snelling (45) (Sept. 11, 1975) in Visalia.
Total 13 counts of 1st degree murder plus: All will be tried in Sacramento County: charged with 13 counts of murder with special circumstances, including murder committed during the course of a burglary and rape. The amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes.
Court hearings from 5/2/18 to 4/10/19 reference post #950 here:
CA - CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4
8/22/19 Update: Defense has a ton of discovery to go through. Hearing continued to 1/22/20.
1/22/20 Update: Defense team refused to enter a plea to the charges, but the judge entered a not guilty plea on DeAngelo's behalf to get the case moving forward, Defense attorneys asking for a delay in the case, arguing that in a hearing set for Wednesday a Sacramento judge should not yet schedule a preliminary hearing in the case. Judge gives preliminary hearing date of May 12th. Next pretrial hearing on 3/12/20.

2/3/20 Update: Prosecutors won approval of the search warrant from Sacramento Superior Court Judge Steve White at 8:26 a.m. on Feb. 3 and planned to obtain swabs of his cheeks the next morning at the Sacramento County Main Jail, court records say. The order signed by Judge White authorizes force to be used if Mr. DeAngelo refuses to comply with the taking of the buccal swabs, according to documents filed by DeAngelo’s public defenders, who complained that they learned of the attempt on “extraordinarily short notice. The warrant was provided to defense counsel more than five hours later, at 1:51 p.m. on February 3rd,” the defense wrote in a motion to stop the warrant from being served. Prosecutors agreed to hold off until the end of the day on Feb. 4, but White ultimately ordered them to hold off pending a hearing on the matter March 12.
3/2/20 Update: Defense files dismissal motion filed in Sacramento County Court late Monday says he would plead guilty to his charges in exchange for a lifetime sentence to put the death penalty off the table.

Sacramento County Sheriff's Department
Inmate Name DEANGELO, JOSEPH JAMES
X-Reference Number X-46180
Next Court Date 4/22/2020 at 1:35 PM.
Court Department 61

Joseph DeAngelo to provide more DNA in East Area Rapist case
Updated: 7:56 PM PDT Mar 12, 2020
SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
A judge approved the prosecution’s request to collect more DNA samples from Joseph DeAngelo in the Golden State Killer case.
[...]
Prosecutors argued more DNA cheek swab kits were needed because the samples are being shared and compared among counties and laboratories. Judge Steve White agreed to allow four more buccal samples to be taken the same day following court.

The Sacramento County Public Defender’s Office is representing DeAngelo and is also trying to settle out of the court with a plea deal.
[...]
The trial has been scheduled to begin May 12, but the public defender’s office plans to file a motion to continue arguing it doesn’t have the resources to handle an unprecedented trial against the resources of six district attorney's offices.
[...]

If the counties don't have the financial resources to try this, why are they balking at accepting the plea deal? He'd still be in prison for the rest of his life and it's not like he'd actually get the death penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelikaBor