CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Genealogy DNA Link To The Wrong Suspect? (with clip)

April 3, 2019

"SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — The technique that led to the arrest of the alleged Golden State Killer has now helped police in Alabama crack a decades-old double murder. The suspect in court Wednesday claims he’s innocent, but as this type of crime fighting becomes more common, some are wondering if genealogy DNA can link to the wrong suspect.

CBS13 investigator Julie Watts found that yes, DNA can get it wrong, and it has. In fact, genealogy DNA led to a different suspect in the Golden State Killer case before police arrested Joseph DeAngelo....

Parabon has helped solve nearly 50 cold cases. Moore said the company’s work generates leads.

“We’re providing a highly scientific tip, but no one’s going to be arrested based on what we say alone. Law enforcement has to take that tip and then go and build their traditional forensic case against this person,” Moore said.

The technique has faced criticism from privacy advocates, and a 2014 British study on familial DNA searches reportedly found an 83 percent failure rate.

Investigators in the Golden State Killer case even misidentified a 73-year-old Oregon man as their suspect before finding DeAngelo, because the two men had the same rare genetic marker....

...It is important to note that this type of evidence has not been used in trial yet. The Golden State Killer case will likely be the first to use it."

Can Genealogy DNA Link To The Wrong Suspect?

Can Genealogy DNA Link To The Wrong Suspect? (with clip)

April 3, 2019

"SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — The technique that led to the arrest of the alleged Golden State Killer has now helped police in Alabama crack a decades-old double murder. The suspect in court Wednesday claims he’s innocent, but as this type of crime fighting becomes more common, some are wondering if genealogy DNA can link to the wrong suspect.

CBS13 investigator Julie Watts found that yes, DNA can get it wrong, and it has. In fact, genealogy DNA led to a different suspect in the Golden State Killer case before police arrested Joseph DeAngelo....

Parabon has helped solve nearly 50 cold cases. Moore said the company’s work generates leads.

“We’re providing a highly scientific tip, but no one’s going to be arrested based on what we say alone. Law enforcement has to take that tip and then go and build their traditional forensic case against this person,” Moore said.

The technique has faced criticism from privacy advocates, and a 2014 British study on familial DNA searches reportedly found an 83 percent failure rate.

Investigators in the Golden State Killer case even misidentified a 73-year-old Oregon man as their suspect before finding DeAngelo, because the two men had the same rare genetic marker....

...It is important to note that this type of evidence has not been used in trial yet. The Golden State Killer case will likely be the first to use it."

Good post. As some may now I actually believe there has been a misidentification in the Golden State Killer case and the actual offender is a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. His identity has been known since 2010 and he is a Serial Killer. The dangerous nature of the situation in my opinion can clearly be seen in this article where one of the Californian DA's who my opinion knows nothing about the case is advocating the death penalty for an innocent man misidentified through what I consider to be a very unethical process:

https://mynewsla.com/crime/2019/04/...ims-rail-against-suspension-of-death-penalty/

This is why the responsibility for what happens in the Golden Case Killer case lies with the FBI and them alone.

Good post. As some may now I actually believe there has been a misidentification in the Golden State Killer case and the actual offender is a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. His identity has been known since 2010 and he is a Serial Killer. The dangerous nature of the situation in my opinion can clearly be seen in this article where one of the Californian DA's who my opinion knows nothing about the case is advocating the death penalty for an innocent man misidentified through what I consider to be a very unethical process:

https://mynewsla.com/crime/2019/04/...ims-rail-against-suspension-of-death-penalty/

This is why the responsibility for what happens in the Golden Case Killer case lies with the FBI and them alone.

If I can just make one more point on this subject this DA assumed office on the 7th January this year so I would argue he does not really know that much about the Golden State Killer case and should be more careful because I am certain Mr DeAngelo has been subjected to a misidentification like those mentioned in the article above and is an innocent elderly US War Veteran who has not been treated that well by his country over the last few moths:

Todd Spitzer - Wikipedia

If I can just make one more point on this subject this DA assumed office on the 7th January this year so I would argue he does not really know that much about the Golden State Killer case and should be more careful because I am certain Mr DeAngelo has been subjected to a misidentification like those mentioned in the article above and is an innocent elderly US War Veteran who has not been treated that well by his country over the last few moths:

Todd Spitzer - Wikipedia

I need to post this because I feel I am morally obliged too and I have to live with myself. As mentioned in the article posted above there have been misidentifications using DNA genealogy and I believe Mr DeAngelo is an innocent elderly man and the actual Golden State Killer was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson who was from Virginia but served ten years in the military and was stationed in California during the 1970s. Here is a video of the rally where I believe the Orange County DA is trying to seek the death penalty on the innocent Mr DeAngelo. It must be remembered the innocent Mr DeAngelo has been incorrectly identified to the victims in these cases for almost a year now:

Golden State Killer victims' family, families of other crime victims criticize Newsom at victims' rights rally

Last edited:
Wednesday, April 10th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 1:35pm PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - *Joseph James DeAngelo (72/32 @ time of crime) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea. Sacramento County.
Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather’s) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch).
8/22/18 Update: amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes. Nine in Sacramento and four in Contra Costa County-stemming from sexual assaults.
4/27/18 Update: charged in Ventura County of 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura.
5/10/18 Update: charged in Santa Barbara County of the 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances, where investigators believe he killed Dr. Robert Offerman (44) & Dr. Debra Alexandria Manning (35) on December 30, 1979 and Cheri Domingo (35) & Gregory Sanchez (27) on July 27, 1981, all in Goleta. Each carries a possible sentence of death or life in prison without parole.
5/11/18 Update: charged in Orange County with 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances. Patrice Harrington (28) & Keith Harrington (24) on 8/19/80 in Dana Point, Manuela Witthuhn (21) on 2/26/81 in Irvine & Janelle Lisa Cruz (18) on 5/4/86 in Irvine.
8/13/18 Update: charged in Tulare County with 1 count of 1st degree murder with use of a firearm in the death of Claude Snelling (45) (Sept. 11, 1975) in Visalia.
Total 13 counts of 1st degree murder.
All will be tried in Sacramento County: charged with 13 counts of murder with special circumstances, including murder committed during the course of a burglary and rape. The amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes.

Previous court hearings from 5/2/18 thru 8/23/18 reference post #773 here:
CA - CA - ARREST in East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer Case #4

12/6/18 Update: Sacramento Superior Court Judge Michael Sweet declared the suspect is not able to afford his own defense. Appointed public defenders. DDAs from all 6 counties were present, with Debora Lloyd of Orange County handling most of the brief hearing. The judge rejected a motion by public defender Diane Howard to clear media from the hearing, a standing request she has made since DeAngelo’s arrest in April. Back in court for hearing on 4/10/19.
His mayhem touched 10 counties, and he was variously called the East Area Rapist, Original Nightstalker, Diamond Knot Killer and Visalia Ransacker before authorities discovered that the various strings of crimes appeared to be the work of a single man. responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries between 1974 and 1986, when his crimes appeared to mysteriously end. In 2001, DNA evidence linked the East Area Rapist and Original Nightstalker cases.

I need to post this because I feel I am morally obliged too and I have to live with myself. As mentioned in the article posted above there have been misidentifications using DNA genealogy and I believe Mr DeAngelo is an innocent elderly man and the actual Golden State Killer was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson who was from Virginia but served ten years in the military and was stationed in California during the 1970s. Here is a video of the rally where I believe the Orange County DA is trying to seek the death penalty on the innocent Mr DeAngelo. It must be remembered the innocent Mr DeAngelo has been incorrectly identified to the victims in these cases for almost a year now:

Golden State Killer victims' family, families of other crime victims criticize Newsom at victims' rights rally

haha you had me for a minute there o_O

Prosecutors to seek death penalty in 'Golden State Killer' case
Apr 10, 2019 5:24 PM
Prosecutors will seek the death penalty against suspected "Golden State Killer" Joseph DeAngelo if he is convicted of the charges against him, they announced in court in Sacramento on Wednesday.
[...]

California Will Seek Death Penalty in ‘Golden State Killer’ Case
POSTED 3:35 PM, APRIL 10, 2019
[...]
Prosecutors from four counties announced their decision one after another Wednesday during a brief court hearing for Joseph DeAngelo, jailed as the suspected “Golden State Killer.”
[...]
He has yet to enter a plea on 26 charges.

He stood expressionless and defense attorney Diane Howard did not comment.

Joseph DeAngelo attended Folsom High, Class of ’64. The Canberra returned to San Diego from Vietnam in June 1966 and sailed in October 1966.
eKO67FZ.jpg

I forgot to watch the hearing today, but saw the news that the prosecutors are asking for the death penalty. Since California doesn't actually have a death penalty--the original one was stayed many years ago because giving a shot to a criminal might hurt and was ruled "cruel and unusual punishment" and our new governor just overturned the whole thing and ordered all the chambers to be dismantled.

So apparently the prosecutors were making the statements for media sound bytes and not much more.

well personally i would suggest going over all the evidence against him besides the DNA before making up your mind but it's your mind and you're free to do with it what you want.

Thanks I will say one more thing if that is the way an elderly War Veteran is treated by his country and namely LE in his country I do not want anything to do with it. This is of course from trying to save his life while the FBI appear to value trying to protect the value of their reputation about this and the truth.

I forgot to watch the hearing today, but saw the news that the prosecutors are asking for the death penalty. Since California doesn't actually have a death penalty--the original one was stayed many years ago because giving a shot to a criminal might hurt and was ruled "cruel and unusual punishment" and our new governor just overturned the whole thing and ordered all the chambers to be dismantled.

So apparently the prosecutors were making the statements for media sound bytes and not much more.
I'm pretty sure California still has the death penalty. I'm pretty sure all the Governor did, based purely on his own personal belief, was put a halt to any executions while he is in office -- a move on is part that may be challenged in court. So if that's the case, prosecutors are within their right to seek the death penalty against JJD. If convicted, surely he will die before any execution date is set, but at least he would spend the rest of his life alone and all by himself. Although it would be nice for him to get roughed-up in general population. Well, I guess you can't eat your cake and have it too.

Yes I saw Unmasking a Killer but personally I wonder if DeAngelo worked for PG&E before he was fired from Auburn PD. The Cordova Cat was seen in a PG&E uniform in 72 or 73 and the 76 Verla St composite he was in a PG&E uniform. Also I think more likely hidden down in a sump or a drainage ditch than a lake. Stay at home dad = full time criminal.
I watched Unmasking A Killer: Vol. VII on HLN yesterday and Paul Holes did in fact talk about JJD working as a diver for PG&E after he was let go by the Auburn P.D. in '79. Now whether his stint with PG&E was "out of sequence" with all his other known activities mentioned after Auburn, well that I don't know.

Why is he so skinny now? Is he on a hunger strike? Is he severely ill? Why doesn't the media look into this? If they have, why don't they report any answers or results?

Not even a 'No comment' from any side??

Why is he so skinny now? Is he on a hunger strike? Is he severely ill? Why doesn't the media look into this? If they have, why don't they report any answers or results?

Not even a 'No comment' from any side??
I haven't read or heard anything about any self-imposed, double-secret hunger strike he may have launched for himself, but I can only assume (because I've never been in prison or even jail) that he is losing weight because for the past 351 days he hasn't been enjoying pancake breakfasts, pot roast dinners and cold beers like he did when he was out roaming around free in public. I guess we will see what weight he bottoms-out at on bread and water for the next few years. :D

I can, however, add that I myself have lost about ten pounds just from giving up Dr. Pepper for Lent last month. Only four more days to go now until I'm back on it! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member