CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised "Bonnie" didn't recognize him or have her radar go off. Did they release the information about him calling the victim bonnie, way back then?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Great they finally have him. It is also on the news in The Netherlands, with a short peace of the interview with Jane.

The top middle sketch and the bottom right look a lot like him. The one with the giant, padded jockstrap on the bottom left–not so much. Did he actually wear that getup to one of his crimes?

attachment.php

Yes this mask was worn at EAR attack #15 - it was the ONLY time he used an open-faced ski mask during the rape series. Even the offender in the Maggiore double murder wore a 'normal' ski mask. The open-faced sketch was therefore thought of as being one of the best - if not the absolute best sketches.

The problems with the sketches were two-fold: first they are all fairly generic looking, and secondly they were all of individuals seen in the vicinity of crimes.

More and more people in the past 24 hours are posting the side by side of DeAngelo as a mustachioed cop vs a supposed sketch from the Maggiore murder. The sketch of mustachioed Maggiore suspect is of an innocent bystander who walked by the scene with his friend 15 minutes before the shooting and was definitively ruled out as a suspect almost 40 years ago!!

It is easy for find people who look like the sketches - even the sketches of people we know for certain were NOT the EAR - because the sketches were mostly very simple, generic outlines that could match literally thousands of young men in California during the 1970's.

Over the past 6-7 years I have seen dozens and dozens and dozens of posters on here, or the proboards, or reddit state that EAR couldn't possibly be VR due to the fact that the composites didn't look enough alike. Paul Holes (of all people!!!) stated repeatedly (even in the past few weeks!) he was fairly certain EAR wasn't VR due to the dissimilarities in their descriptions!!

Now that it turns out EAR 100% WAS the VR I do hope that in future investigations people don't rely so heavily on composite sketches / witness descriptions to include/exclude suspects.

Does anyone think JJD will confess?

He apparently has already confessed to being the Visalia Ransacker, so I imagine he is slowly going through his crimes year by year with detectives as we speak.

Hey thanks keeley! I somehow missed that at the press conference i;m sorry. Was anyone else bothered by the way they are politicizing this to make it an issue about collecting dna from non violent offenders? I think the real overall issue here is Police Integrity! Seriously this guy was TERRORIZING California and he's a ****ing police officer? You want to collect dna from non violent drug offenders when all you had to do was collect dna from police officers? What in the actual ****!?

true. it's just going to come and bite non violent offenders who are already serving long sentences (like for a dime bag of weed while hipsters are opening weed shops and making millions.) in the *advertiser censored* and make systemic abuse even worse. the guy was a cop. collect from cops.

So you want DNA from non offending police officers but not non violent drug offenders? Seems irrational given the statistics on who is more likely to be a violent murderer....and he killed most of the people (we know about anyway) after he was fired.

I'd argue that quite of few cops have turned out to be killers and other criminals.

I wanna know where this guy was before 1976.

He was serving in the Exeter police department frm MAy 1973 and committed well over 100 burglaries and ransackings in Visalia. Many of the victims were young girls from Mt Whitney High School or a local church. He then attempted the kidnap and presumably rape Beth Snelling, and he murdered her father Professor Claude Snelling when he tried to prevent the abduction.

This guy was married more than once it seems.

He never married Bonnie, they were briefly engaged. Sharon appears to be his only marriage.

I'm not a geneticist, so I can't explain the fine points, but it would be similar to the way they recently identified the "Buckskin Girl" whose body was found back in the early 80's. LE can ask one of these services that maintain DNA databases from people who submit it. They're able to sort out which people whose DNA they have on file are a similar or "familial" match to the UID or killer. They then contact that person or persons and ask them to help identify who the killer might be. They'd have to go through a process of elimination, checking backgrounds, etc.

My other theory is that the recent tip (I recall the sheriff said they received it 6 days ago) came from another retired LEO who perhaps worked with him in the past and maybe always thought him hinky. Could have also been a former co-worker from another job.

Just guessing, but he may not have had a lot of close friends, so outside of his family, co-workers would be next in line as people who knew him.

some states allow this kind of cross referencing commercial databases and unknown samples related to crimes but many do not. recently happened to a director a few years back. he was pegged as a potential suspect. adoption and illegitimate kids complicate this kind of cross referencing.

He apparently has already confessed to being the Visalia Ransacker, so I imagine he is slowly going through his crimes year by year with detectives as we speak.

Good news...source?

I haven't been following this case. A friend of mine tells me that the rapist supposedly made phone calls to the victims and that they said he had a Mexican accent. Is that true?

He faked accents in a handful of attacks - making poor attempts to seem as though he was German, Hispanic, African-American.

However, the vast majority of victims said he had no noticeable accent but spoke through clenched teeth and seemed to be trying to hide the fact he appeared to have a fairly high voice.

Two of his more famous phone calls to victims can be heard here:

"Is Ray there?" and "Gonna Kill You" calls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwNBLkTgoT4

Definitely no 'Mexican' accent...

Why do you think it was some type of complicated reverse image photo search rather than just believing what was said, that it was a DNA match from DeAngelo to DNA evidence they had on file from a crime?

Police departments now do take DNA from their officers. They have to order to exclude them from DNA found during investigations.

I DO believe they got a DNA match from DeAngelo to the evidence; I was referring to the step BEFORE that—meaning what led them to wanting HIS DNA. My first guess is via a familial tip; my other thought was the photo match technology, of which I believe TinEye is a popularized version. LE may have even more sophisticared photo match software. Maybe in all the excitement, I traded clarity for enthusiasm!

Does anyone have any information on whether or not LE has interviewed the accused’s younger brother, if he’s still alive?

Hey Everyone,

I have the Marc Klaas interview uploading now and it is taking forever. I'm going to grab some sleep and hopefully, the show will be ready to post in the morning. If it is still uploading when I get up my computer will go out the window and into the river. That is the only logical solution.

It was an incredible story to wake up to I'll tell ya.

Why do you think the police are leaving out the biggest part of the story? How did they know to test DeAngelo's DNA to the rape and murder cases? Why won't they tell us?

N'ght my wonderful true crime angels.

Tricia

They found notebooks at one of the murders, believed to be the perps. In one of them, he writes about being in 6th grade and his teacher made him write sentences over and over and over again and how he hated that teacher and how it scarred him for the rest of his life. Interesting. I have a theory, too, on the writings but I'm gonna post that in a longer post here in just a moment.

I'm surprised "Bonnie" didn't recognize him or have her radar go off. Did they release the information about him calling the victim bonnie, way back then?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm honestly really surprised no one recognized this guy. Especially with his temper. I have to wonder if this was one of those "open secrets" among certain people, as crazy as that sounds.

May be a dumb question but why was the "Is Ray there?" on tape? Was that from a victims machine or were the calls being monitored and recorded by the victim/police?

It would be interesting to know why he stopped (if he stopped). It’s often thought that serial killers couldn’t stop, but the BTK/Dennis Rader example raises some questions about that idea. I remember first following the BTK case back in 2002, when it was still unsolved. Back then, there was still debate about which murders were or were not part of the series (they did not have DNA on all crimes and the MO was not quite as consistent as GSK). Authorities and profilers were convinced BTK was dead, in prison for an unrelated crime, or somehow permanently disabled. The case was dead as a dodo until Dennis Rader, who was devoted to his own press coverage, decided to reach out to the press again for kicks.

As to why Dennis Rader stopped killing, he provided an explanation to the effect that a) he was getting older and b)starting to worry about getting caught. He also collected a lot of trophies from his victims, including Polaroid photos, and he would spend endless hours poring over these trophies, using them in fantasies (he would write stories etc about the murders). He also continued to stalk numerous women and develop elaborate fantasies about killing them. These activities seemed to satisfy the need in him. Maybe DeAngelo is the same? Other activities may have filled the need for control. BTK didn’t want to be caught but when he was, he enjoyed confessing. Sounds like GKS might too (maybe). The information about him being the Visalia Ransacker would most likely be by his own admission, as while there was suspicion, it always seemed as though there was no definitive proof.

One thing I thought interesting....on the "unmasking a killer" series that has recently been focusing on EAR/ONS, one of the experts they feature dismissed EAR/ONS has also being the Visalia Ransacker, because the officer who came face to face with the ransacker described him as having a full face, where as all descriptions of EAR/ONS described him as younger and very lean in the face.

The photo of DeAngelo from '73 in the newspaper when he joined the Exeter department he is very full faced. Later photos from the 70s he appears much thinner. The physical descriptions given by witnesses were accurate and of the same person. Interesting that an expert didn't account for the possibility of personal changes and went so far as to dismiss the connection based on this one discrepancy. In my mind....everything fit too perfectly for EAR/ONS not to also be the Ransacker.

I read in one article he even headed some kind of burglary unite on the police force. Sounds he like he prided himself as some kind of burglary expert perhaps. And when he got caught stealing hammer and dog repellent, AND they knew he moved from Visalia, knowing he was ex-Navy and still no suspicion at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member