CA CA - Elizabeth 'Beth' Funchess, 6 mos, San Jose, 9 Sept 1977

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Doubtful, imo. They had both Ken and Diane's DNA on file, surely would have checked.
We would certainly hope so. Then again, we have to remember this was late 70's/early 80's and DNA technology was no where near to being the science it is today. If the baby were caucasian, female, etc., I do think it's worthwhile to look at that again. You never know...

Amateur opinion and speculation

Let's say she did that. What would happen next?
To put it another way, what's to be expected once that first call sets things in motion? How long for the police to do what they do? How long until Beth is reunited with her family?
Interesting question. For all we know, Beth has already reached out to Ancestry profile owners trying to figure out how all the Crooke/Funchess first cousins fit in to her ancestry.

If a discovery progressed to the horrid realization that her mother had been murdered and she was absconded....that would present a very interesting dilemma for Beth. If she loved the people she was raised by, would she contact police? We hope so. Once she contacted police, they would relaunch the investigation, working backwards with the trail of info Beth could provide. It is highly unlikely we would know anything until such time as an arrest would be made, if the Perp(s) are still living. If they are, it is likely they would be well in to their 70's at least.

I think it's particularly interesting that Diane and baby disappeared right after a long vacation to Florida. Someone certainly knew she was back from vacation. Interesting timing.

As to your question, I can not answer it. There are too many variables that could only be triggered by Beth herself, and then the course LE chooses to take.

Interesting question. For all we know, Beth has already reached out to Ancestry profile owners trying to figure out how all the Crooke/Funchess first cousins fit in to her ancestry.

Perhaps she has. If she starts investigating, surely she will find this thread- and if she is investigating, surely she is figuring out her ancestry, though it may be confusing at first. With married women taking their husband's names, I doubt her relatives will actually be named Crooke/Funchess in the database, so she may need to do some digging. Plus, I would imagine this would be pretty overwhelming, and it may take her some time to actually believe it.

If a discovery progressed to the horrid realization that her mother had been murdered and she was absconded....that would present a very interesting dilemma for Beth. If she loved the people she was raised by, would she contact police?

Doubt it would be a dilemma- seems to me, the type of people who would do such a thing, wouldn't be good people. I can't see her loving them. I would imagine she would contact the San Jose police right away, don't you?

I think it's particularly interesting that Diane and baby disappeared right after a long vacation to Florida. Someone certainly knew she was back from vacation. Interesting timing.

I thought the same thing! Very interesting timing. Seems to me that points to Diane knowing the perpetrator(s). Wonder if she knew them in CA or FL- or both?

"....Doubt it would be a dilemma- seems to me, the type of people who would do such a thing, wouldn't be good people. I can't see her loving them. I would imagine she would contact the San Jose police right away, don't you?....
I thought the same thing! Very interesting timing. Seems to me that points to Diane knowing the perpetrator(s). Wonder if she knew them in CA or FL- or both?
Snipped and edited for focused response.
If she survived and was adopted, the adoptive family might be completely unaware of her background, and this case. So they might very well be good people, and innocent of the crimes. They might have gone through "private adoption", unaware of falsified birth cert., etc.

If there was awareness of Diane's vacation and return, I speculate it was someone in California. I have always believed it was someone closely connected to Diane and/or her husband, and that this was not random or some SK.

I really think the Clearihue connection is being overlooked. Two people who lived next door to each other are murdered and both of their bodies are found on Bear Creek Road? I really doubt Elizabeth Funchess is still alive. Boulder Creek
I agree the Clearihue connection is significant. Was his death definitively tied to the GSK? Agree it is no coincidence.
I too have doubts whether Beth survived.
I just don’t know.

amateur opinion and speculation

Not at all. Law Enforcement has only linked him to 13 murders and denied connection to any others. EAR struck at 12:15 am in Stockton on September 6 1977
Note that the dates of Diane's disappearance and recovery of remains in that blog post are both incorrect.

You've given me a lot to think about, and frankly revisit. What you've presented is impossible to ignore, and by no means coincidental. Next door neighbors....found a mile apart.

BTW, where did you find the information about exactly where Diane's remains were located?

Note that the dates of Diane's disappearance and recovery of remains in that blog post are both incorrect.

You've given me a lot to think about, and frankly revisit. What you've presented is impossible to ignore, and by no means coincidental. Next door neighbors....found a mile apart.

BTW, where did you find the information about exactly where Diane's remains were located?

Are you sure about the dates being incorrect? The newspaper article states Diane disappeared September 6. Also see the newspaper article about her remains found on my site. The location given is Skyline Blvd and Bear Creek Rd, 200 feet off the road.

Every article I've seen cites the disappearance as September 6 not September 9. I believe this thread title is incorrect

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure about the dates being incorrect? The newspaper article states Diane disappeared September 6. Also see the newspaper article about her remains found on my site. The location given is Skyline Blvd and Bear Creek Rd, 200 feet off the road.
I’m referring to the blog. It states Diane was murdered 2 years after Clerihue, and the year of remains found is also incorrect. (In blog)

amateur opinion and speculation

Yes, you're right, that's a screenshot from a post here on websleuths. That poster definitely had the dates incorrect.
I just stumbled upon something interesting.
“Christ’s Circle” in Boulder Creek in the 70’s. I wonder if the Funchess’ were part of this organization.

Google it....lots to digest.

I found this case while randomly browsing through Charley Project cases. What a nightmare. I wonder who the killer’s target was: Elizabeth, so she could be sold or given to a desperate mother (or perhaps for far more nefarious reasons that my mind doesn’t care to linger on); or Diane, for a motive that was personal or for reasons unknown. In the latter instance, I think it’s more likely than not that Elizabeth is probably deceased as well, though it’s always possible that the killer simply sold her or gave her away, much like John Robinson did when he gave Lisa Stasi’s infant daughter to his own brother. Elizabeth may be out there and have no idea about her true identity.

I’d like to think that there are forces innate yet unknown to us that help to nudge us in certain directions throughout life. Maybe Elizabeth feels a little nagging touch on her heart sometimes, or a strange, subtle feeling that tells her something is off. Like an itch you can’t scratch. Maybe someday curiosity will get the better of her and she’ll take the first step in finding the truth. I really, really hope that’s the case.

Diane's remains (skull and pelvis and rib bones) were found by hikers, but not near the Locatelli ranch but in a ravine used as a dumping ground off Skyline Boulevard in the Santa Cruz Mountains. With the remains were found a multi-colored tank top, a nursing bra and a gold necklace, identified by her parents as one they gave her on a visit home shortly before she disappeared.

It sounds like there were only a few bones found, like she was merely dumped out there or buried poorly in a shallow grave, and animals that scavenged the remains scattered them. It’s possible that Elizabeth’s remains were lost this way; I don’t imagine such small bones would last or be easy to find if left out, exposed to the elements. Was there ever any clues found on her remains, such as tool or knife marks on the bones? If the only thing missing from the scene was a television cord, I’d assume it was used to either bind Diane in someway or to strangle her. If her next door neighbor was indeed murdered only a few years before and found in the same area that Diane was, that’s a hell of a coincidence. Does anyone have any speculation as to whether they’re connected and how they’re connected? Is there a common thread that connects them, or any other abductions/murders to Diane’s? If the killer wasn’t focused on Elizabeth, then what was his reason to want Diane dead? I know there’s a little chatter about creepy granola types that hunker down in the hills possibly being responsible – is there any chance that Diane was killed for seeing something she shouldn’t have, or somehow having knowledge of some else’s criminal activity? It doesn’t really seem likely to me, but I suppose anything is possible, especially in California in the 70’s.

There doesn’t seem like there’s a lot to go on in this case and that’s so heartbreaking. Abductions from home are so disturbing; I can’t imagine anything more terrifying that someone assaulting you inside the place you’re supposed to feel safest. Hoping that the passage of time will help to solve this case and that Elizabeth can be found, and that she’s found alive. Kudos to everyone in this thread that did so much work digging up old newspaper articles and memories, and for helping keep this case alive.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Joe Dillinger
Back