CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO EH isn't capable of articulating the process the way you have. Her word salad seems to come from not understanding it, like at all. I wonder if she ever took Basic Chemistry at the college level? Organic? Or what science she took to educate herself WHILE she was running Theranos?
One would certainly think that taking Chemistry would be required for a Chemical Engineering major, but it's unclear if she took any of those classes before dropping out of Stanford.

Trial starts tomorrow? Opening statements? Yikes. All of a sudden I feel very disorganized about how I'm going to follow it. Anyone any ideas? Is there a Twitter journo who will be at the trial that we can follow?
I have no idea how these things work....

Elizabeth Holmes plans to accuse ex-boyfriend and former business partner of abuse during her criminal trial, claiming he threw sharp objects at her and controlled how she ate and dressed

Well. It should be a cozy trial. Elizabeth Theranos is going to play "Dependent Personality Disorder". The abusive BF was in control. I didn't know anything about anything. Poor me, I am pregnant.

It will probably work.
^^bbm

Except EH gave birth to a baby boy almost 2 months ago!

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/06/elizabeth-holmes-gives-birth-as-theranos-fraud-trial-nears.html

Aug 5, 2021

Records filed with the San Mateo County Recorder office, obtained by CNBC on Thursday, reveal Holmes and her partner, Billy Evans, had a baby on July 10 at Sequoia Hospital in Redwood City, California.

One of Holmes’ attorneys, Amy Saharia, declined to comment on the news.

The trial was originally scheduled to begin in July, but was pushed back to August 31 due to her pregnancy. Holmes faces nine counts of wire fraud and two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

[..]

This isn’t the only baby news for the Holmes family. Her brother Christian, who also worked at Theranos, and his wife are expecting a child in September, according to the couple’s online registry.

@Seattle1 she will probably want numerous breaks to "breastfeed" the little one. I am sure that the baby will be front and center during the trial.

(Breastfeed in quotes...she probably sees the kid once or twice a week. Poor thing is nothing but a prop...MOO).

For anyone that's familiar with federal charges and prosecution, the key player in the trial is really the federal judge that has a wide amount of discretion in determining federal sentencing guidelines and calculating the penalty of the convicted defendant.

Facts about Judge Edward Davila:

Judge_Edward_Davila.color_.small_.jpg

About District Judge Edward J. Davila
  • Born 1952 in Palo Alto, CA
Federal Judicial Service:
  • Judge, U. S. District Court, Northern District of California
  • Nominated by Barack Obama on January 5, 2011, to a seat vacated by Marilyn Hall Patel. Confirmed by the Senate on February 14, 2011, and received commission on March 3, 2011.
Education:
  • California State University, San Diego, B.A., 1976
  • University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1979
Professional Career:
  • Deputy public defender, Santa Clara County Office of the Public Defender, California, 1981-1988
  • Private practice, San Jose, California, 1988-2001
  • Judge, Superior Court of California, County of Santa Clara, 2001-2011
Davila Edward, J. [EJD] | United States District Court, Northern District of California

Wed., Sept. 8th:
*Trial begins (Day 1)-Opening Statements (@ 9am PT) - CA – for *Elizabeth A. Holmes (34/now 37) (CEO of Theranos) charged (March, 2018) & indicted (6/14/18) & arraigned (6/15/18) with 9 counts of wire fraud & 2 counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and charged & indicted (4/11/20) with fraud relating to a patient's blood test. Another count of wire fraud was added in 2020, bringing the total number of felony charges to 12. Plead not guilty. No bond. Faces a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison & up to $2.75 million in fines, plus restitution, & $250K for each individual count of wire fraud & conspiracy.
Defrauding investors out of $700 million in funding for their blood-testing startup Theranos.
Trial began on 8/31/21 with jury selection. 12 jurors of 7 men & 5 women (6 Caucasians, 4 Hispanics & 2 Asians) with five alternates (2 men & 3 women).
Trial set to begin on 9/8/21.
The Court trial days will be Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday, possibly other half days. The Court may modify the trial time & set either 8:30am-2pm or 9am-2pm & possibly 30-minute breaks in between. Judge Edward J. Davila presiding. Jury selection on 8/31 & 9/1, trial dates 9/8, 9/10, 9/14, 9/15, 9/17, 9/21, 9/22, 9/24, 9/28, 9/29, 10/1, 10/5, 10/6, 10/8, 10/12, 10/13, 10/15, 10/19 so far.

Indictment & court info from 4/11/20 thru 8/26/21 & jury selection (Day 1-2) 8/31/21 to 9/1/21 reference post #381 here:
CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud

9/2/21 Thursday, Jury Selection Day 3: The 12 person jury has been chosen. A jury of 7 men & 5 women (6 Caucasians, 4 Hispanics & 2 Asians) with five alternates (2 men & 3 women) — the jurors were sworn in Thursday morning at the San Jose, California, federal courthouse. Throughout jury questioning, U.S. District Court Judge Edward Davila, who’s presiding over the trial, reminded potential jurors about the importance of avoiding media, a particular challenge for a case that’s attracted heavy coverage in Silicon Valley & around the world. Opening statements for the case are expected to begin 9/8/21.
*Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani (53/now 56) (CFO & President of Theranos) – Intervenors motion hearing on 8/26/21 & trial set to begin on 1/11/22 with jury selection & trial starts on 1/18/22. No update 9/6/21.

Wire fraud charges (18 U.S.C. Section 1343) are federal crimes that involve allegations that a person has made false promises or representations to defraud someone by using either wire communications (telephone, tv/radio broadcasts, or over the internet.)

A great primer video at the link below explaining what the Government has to prove to convict EH and RB of wire fraud.

Wire Fraud Charges

Add to my list of journo Tweeters on the case…

Dorothy Atkins of Law360.

Are we allowed to quote Tweets? There are evidently 3 EH look-alikes in the crowd lining up to enter. Per photo Dorothy Atkins. You can’t make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Add to my list of journo Tweeters on the case…

Dorothy Atkins of Law360.

Are we allowed to quote Tweets? There are evidently 3 EH look-alikes in the crowd lining up to enter. Per photo Dorothy Atkins. You can’t make this stuff up.

Oh thanks! She's made many more tweets than the others I was following. Every few minutes it seems. Following her now too.

I assume journalists tweeting from the courtroom can be posted here, but will report this post to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy