GUILTY CA - Elizabeth Sullivan, 31, San Diego, 13 Oct 2014 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are you somewhat surprised if he used a knife? I think it changes how I see the crime. JMO - I think I imagined he strangled her in the middle of an argument, but using a knife seems more deliberate to me.

I think the news stations have to be cagey about how they reveal things before trial. I know I heard it on the local news about a knife in the attic being found, but I doubt it was printed up as such yet. Most of the news reports have only hinted that a knife was used.

I think it stinks that husband made it sound like she took off leaving her children and alluded that she had been going out (on him) a lot. All along he knew he had her blood on his hands. Then, those false reports of sightings made everyone think she could be walking around the neighborhood. Apparently, she had gone to see a divorce attorney, but ...

I just like to see it in print before I refer to it as the weapon...Knives,blunt force trauma and strangulation require one to be physically close to the victim ..the number of stab wounds might indicate the furiousness of the attack..the autopsy from what I have read has not been disclosed..so we will see what happens next...

I just like to see it in print before I refer to it as the weapon...Knives,blunt force trauma and strangulation require one to be physically close to the victim ..the number of stab wounds might indicate the furiousness of the attack..the autopsy from what I have read has not been disclosed..so we will see what happens next...

Given the state in which Elizabeth's body was found - floating in the bay - I've believed the body was preserved somewhere, like a freezer, until a short time before discovery. I can only guess the killer wanted to make it appear she had been alive for a while and only recently been murdered.

If that is the case it may have worked against the killer as it may have preserved her body enough to make a good determination of how she died. Yes, I'm really curious to hear what the autopsy documents on COD and the state of the body. We're probably going to have wait till the trial for that info.

Found it in print!

Affidavit: Blood and DNA on knife link ex-Navy man to wife's murder
http://www.cbs8.com/story/37399948/...wifes-body-was-found-in-san-diego-bay-in-2016

"...Later in 2016, police found the victim's blood on the floor of her bedroom, according to court records obtained by News 8.

Investigators also found a knife -- believed to be the murder weapon -- hidden in the attic of the couple's home during a November 2017 search. The knife had the victim's blood on it, as well as DNA on the handle from both Matthew and Elizabeth Sullivan.

The discovery of the knife led to the husband's arrest, according to the records. Investigators "believe an attempt was made to clean the knife" but the victim's blood was found on the "inner workings" of the weapon, the records revealed."

In the bedroom? Ugh...where were the kids?!

Originally Posted by Curious Me View Post

Found it in print!

http://www.cbs8.com/story/37399948/e...go-bay-in-2016

"...Later in 2016, police found the victim's blood on the floor of her bedroom, according to court records obtained by News 8.

Investigators also found a knife -- believed to be the murder weapon -- hidden in the attic of the couple's home during a November 2017 search. The knife had the victim's blood on it, as well as DNA on the handle from both Matthew and Elizabeth Sullivan.

The discovery of the knife led to the husband's arrest, according to the records. Investigators "believe an attempt was made to clean the knife" but the victim's blood was found on the "inner workings" of the weapon, the records revealed."

In the bedroom? Ugh...where were the kids?!

You caught that too. Yes, the bedroom where you wouldn't expect to find a knife. :eek: Makes me think this may not have been a spur of the moment crime, but planned.

Oh, how I hope the children were with a sitter.

Just saw on local news tv that MS is back in San Diego. I assume he's in the downtown jail. I wonder if he can see the bay from there.

Just saw on local news tv that MS is back in San Diego. I assume he's in the downtown jail. I wonder if he can see the bay from there.

Oh, he's back, eh. I wonder who is caring for the two young daughters. Everyone that knew Elizabeth said she was a very good mother. I certainly don't think her children should be left in the care of his new partner, although I'm not sure he was still with her. Personally, I wouldn't want to stick by a guy like him. So happy and relieved it's finally time for him to face the consequences.

Found it in print!

http://www.cbs8.com/story/37399948/...wifes-body-was-found-in-san-diego-bay-in-2016

Wait! This was a 2017 search of their home!!?!? LE didn't search it in 2014? Or in 2016 after the husband moved from San Diego? This knife must have not been buried in a box of stored items, but somewhere else like under the flooring? Or in the insulation?

He was in court today, on Valentine's Day. There's a video here too. The news promised to tell viewers how the children are doing...stay tuned for the 6:30 news.

Ex-Navy man pleads not guilty to murdering wife whose body was found in San Diego Bay
Updated: Feb 14, 2018 5:22 PM PST
Video Report By Kelly Hessedal, Reporter
http://www.cbs8.com/story/37509342/...ng-wife-whose-body-was-found-in-san-diego-bay

He was ordered held on $2 million bail.

San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan said the victim - a mother of two young children - was in an abusive relationship with her husband and was the process of leaving him when she was killed in October 2014.

Stephan alleged that the defendant hid the body somewhere for years until it was discovered in the water near the couple's Liberty Station home on the day movers were at the home.

BBM

The video mentioned there being a lot of blood found under the carpet. I don't know why LE didn't suspect the husband enough, or consider the house a crime scene in 2014...gee, there was blood under the carpet and a knife in the attic. I can't help but wish the initial investigation was more focused on there having been a MURDER committed, but at the time people seemed to think she just ran off. I do applaud the investigators for sticking with their investigation and securing all the evidence they'll have when this goes to trial.

P.S. The 6:30 news said the children are with Elizabeth's family now. Good.

The video mentioned there being a lot of blood found under the carpet. I don't know why LE didn't suspect the husband enough, or consider the house a crime scene in 2014...gee, there was blood under the carpet and a knife in the attic. I can't help but wish the initial investigation was more focused on there having been a MURDER committed, but at the time people seemed to think she just ran off. I do applaud the investigators for sticking with their investigation and securing all the evidence they'll have when this goes to trial.

P.S. The 6:30 news said the children are with Elizabeth's family now. Good.

I am a little behind on all of this I guess. I hadn't checked in on Elizabeth's case in a bit since everything was quiet for a while. I am so happy to hear the news of her husband's arrest!! I'm sure it is pretty apparent, based on my previous posts, that I highly suspected he was responsible (for the many reasons I posted previously).

So. This new info, which I belive has been confirmed by LE, about the blood on carpet....I believe I heard long ago that his new girlfriend (who he had the son with) moved into their family home - Matt, Elizabeth and their children's home - shortly after Elizabeth's disappearance. I already have my own suspension based on the timing of their relationship and how public and bold they were about their "new family" and posting fb public "family photos" with the new gf and Elizabeth's daughters, photos of gf/husband not even a year after Elizabeth's disappearance. I am also curious because the gf commented "liked" the fb new years photo of Elizabeth before she disappeared and made comments to missing her Navy buddies, one of which was Matt Sullivan, shortly before Elizabeth disappeared. .all of that seemed strange. And why this gf would date someone with a missing wife who had called police the day she went missing..call me crazy, but that always seemed odd to me too. Why would you have a child with somebody in that situation? Wouldn't you wonder if they were involved...I know I would! !

But all of that is besides the point. This new info is shocking to me! A knife in the attic, blood soaked carpet..with your daughters, and as I understand it, your new gf and her daughter living in the same space. Talk about disgusting! It is heartbreaking to think his daughters will have to know he not only did this (supposedly) but allowed them to continue to live in the same environment where not only this occurred, but with their mom's blood hidden below the carpet! How could the new gf be unaware? Blood doesnt just wash out of carpet. Literally seems impossible she didn't know something.

I'm curious if he somehow hid her body in the attic also. The fact that he was dumb enough to leave his knife in the home after he moved, and so boldly thought he could get away with this crime, leaves me wondering what other dumb things he thought were good ideas at the time.

I am so thankful he has been arrested and charged! I genuinely feel he is responsible, and have a new founded faith in the SDPD! I had worried they had forgot about Elizabeth. I am so happy to hear they did not! Justice for Elizabeth and her precious little innocent girls. **All opinions expressed here are my opinions

Wait! This was a 2017 search of their home!!?!? LE didn't search it in 2014? Or in 2016 after the husband moved from San Diego? This knife must have not been buried in a box of stored items, but somewhere else like under the flooring? Or in the insulation?

Based on where they lived in SD, the Sullivan's lived in Navy family housing. It is possible it took some time to get a search warrant/approval together since the home is technically owned by the Navy. I'm sure Matt assumed a new Military family would be moved in asap (what normally happens) and everyone would just carry on as normal, never looking back to what may or may not have happened in the home. Since LE had checked the home previously and did not find evidence of a crime, I'm sure Matt thought he was in the clear. I'm still disgusted he and his girls, along with his new girlfriend and her young daughter all lived in the same home he knowly hid a weapon and evidence of blood. Clearly he is only concerned about covering his own butt.

Just checking in..still no info? I keep checking news articles but nothing since February. :(

The last I heard was a preliminary hearing date of 18 September was set on 26 April. I can't find anything on that, but there was this article.
Big Breaks in San Diego Cold Cases in 2018

As some of us suspected, her body was stored somewhere before it was dumped. I imagine this guy may have frozen her body and dumped it just prior to moving out of the area to make it appear that she was alive much longer than the last date she was actually seen.

Based on where they lived in SD, the Sullivan's lived in Navy family housing. It is possible it took some time to get a search warrant/approval together since the home is technically owned by the Navy. I'm sure Matt assumed a new Military family would be moved in asap (what normally happens) and everyone would just carry on as normal, never looking back to what may or may not have happened in the home. Since LE had checked the home previously and did not find evidence of a crime, I'm sure Matt thought he was in the clear. I'm still disgusted he and his girls, along with his new girlfriend and her young daughter all lived in the same home he knowly hid a weapon and evidence of blood. Clearly he is only concerned about covering his own butt.

That is possible, but when we had the daughter of Navy Hospital Corpsman murdered in Portsmouth, the Portsmouth PD had the lead but received a great deal of help from NCIS. Meghan Landowski. I don't know about San Diego, but in this area NCIS has a good relationship with the local PD's.

It was covered on "48 Hours".
"48 Hours: NCIS:" Invesigating the murders of Meghan Landowski and Marilyn Allen - CBS News

Reactions: byo
That is possible, but when we had the daughter of Navy Hospital Corpsman murdered in Portsmouth, the Portsmouth PD had the lead but received a great deal of help from NCIS. Meghan Landowski. I don't know about San Diego, but in this area NCIS has a good relationship with the local PD's.

"48 Hours: NCIS:" Invesigating the murders of Meghan Landowski and Marilyn Allen - CBS News

I lived in Point Loma for the past 10 years and actually taught at one of the schools his daughters attended. I of course can’t say for sure, but I do feel her story was originally disregarded as a willful disappearance at the time. Military personnel have a great deal of respect in this area (as they should) and I think that respect helped LE to initially presume that what Matt was telling them was legit. It is just sickening he was able to live freely, with Elizabeth's daughters; exposing them so quickly to a new “mother” figure and more unfortunate, allowing him to bring another sweet innocent baby into the world. The gf (who’s name I won’t mention here) STILL has a public fb page and just recently (within last few days) boasted about her love for Matt and his girls and her “family of 6”. Her comments made me wonder if he is still in jail. I have a hard time relating to the gf personally, but I suppose she cld potentially be a victim, as well, to this animal we call Matt Sullivan. Just hard for me to believe she knew nothing, especially with her recent proclamation of love for her suspected killer baby daddy. How could you stand by a man knowing he moved you into a home shortly after he killed his wife IN THE HOME and with his weapon hovering over your head nightly?!? THIS, I will never understand

I lived in Point Loma for the past 10 years and actually taught at one of the schools his daughters attended. I of course can’t say for sure, but I do feel her story was originally disregarded as a willful disappearance at the time. Military personnel have a great deal of respect in this area (as they should) and I think that respect helped LE to initially presume that what Matt was telling them was legit. It is just sickening he was able to live freely, with Elizabeth's daughters; exposing them so quickly to a new “mother” figure and more unfortunate, allowing him to bring another sweet innocent baby into the world. The gf (who’s name I won’t mention here) STILL has a public fb page and just recently (within last few days) boasted about her love for Matt and his girls and her “family of 6”. Her comments made me wonder if he is still in jail. I have a hard time relating to the gf personally, but I suppose she cld potentially be a victim, as well, to this animal we call Matt Sullivan. Just hard for me to believe she knew nothing, especially with her recent proclamation of love for her suspected killer baby daddy. How could you stand by a man knowing he moved you into

I also wanted to end with this. Some strange things happen with the LE in San Diego Area. Look at the Shackani case, for example, this was in Coronado but they work closely with San Diego PD and I felt at the time the whole approach to the investigation was very odd!! Accident or not, it seemed like the police had made up their mind before investigating. Possibly something similar happened here (initially). I am happy to see though that someone has been held accountable for that event now too, but it certainly took FOREVER and along the journey many people in San Diego and Coronado questioned the quality of the investigation.

Thursday, February 14th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ PT) – CA – Elizabeth Sullivan (31) (Oct. 13, 2014, San Diego; found Oct. 6, 2016 in San Diego Bay) – *Matthew Sullivan (32) “husband” arrested (1/31/18 in Wyoming, Delaware, extradited 2/11/18), charged & arraigned (2/14/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $2M bond.
South County CS286313

Her friend supplies further details about how Elizabeth was feeling if you read further on.

Ex-Navy Service Member Will Stand Trial for Wife's Killing

On Thursday, six witnesses took the stand, including Elizabeth Sullivan's friend, Nathan Caracter who spoke about the couple's troubled marriage.

Caracter told the court Elizabeth Sullivan confided in him that she and Matthew Sullivan had "married for all the wrong reasons."

"Liz was never really happy in her marriage, from day one. It was a loveless marriage, according to her," Caracter testified...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back