GUILTY CA - Elizabeth Sullivan, 31, San Diego, 13 Oct 2014 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As I recall, the blood wasn't found in the initial investigation, but years later, after her remains were found. Her husband almost got away with her murder!

Former Navy man accused of wife's death will stand trial for murder

"Collier said Elizabeth phoned the friend on the night of Oct. 13, 2014, and told her that she was having an argument with the defendant and was "afraid of him." The friend instructed Elizabeth to keep her bedroom door locked, Collier said.

Luminol, a chemical used to detect blood, "lit up" the area on the floor leading to a bathroom connected to the victim's bedroom, Collier said, with a visible blood stain discovered when investigators peeled back the carpeting."

Some of what's going in the courtroom.

I hope they will reveal where her body was for those two years. I think he must have had her hidden in a freezer until he was ready to move out of state. We sure waited a long time to see this Justice.

Former Navy man accused of wife's death will stand trial for murder

She also argued that the imminent arrival of Matthew's mother and sister at the couple's home in October of 2014 forced him to twice purchase carpet cleaner from a nearby hardware store, presumably to clean up the blood stain after allegedly stabbing his wife.

However, DeBose argued that the presence of Elizabeth's blood inside her bedroom may have stemmed from self-inflicted cutting, due to a reported history of depression and self-harm.

Weird. The GF has a public FB page and as of 28 Jan she posted a pic of the family. There were a couple of replies wondering if Matt was coming home. I am guessing she thinks someone else killed Elizabeth.
Kay Elizabeth Taylor

Also search of the San Diego "Who's in Jail" site, shows he is in detention and is charged with First Degree Murder. Google search of First Degree murder says that it was pre-meditated to get that charge. Second Degree murder would be killing her in a fit of rage.

Weird. The GF has a public FB page and as of 28 Jan she posted a pic of the family. There were a couple of replies wondering if Matt was coming home. I am guessing she thinks someone else killed Elizabeth.
Kay Elizabeth Taylor

Also search of the San Diego "Who's in Jail" site, shows he is in detention and is charged with First Degree Murder. Google search of First Degree murder says that it was pre-meditated to get that charge. Second Degree murder would be killing her in a fit of rage.

Thank you for pointing this out. I have wanted to link her fb page here for a couple years now but never did. Yes she has a public page, and has since she first moved in with Matthew Sullivan. There used to be old posts from late 2014 that mentioned her missing a few service buddies - one of which was tagged to Matt Sullivan (who went by Sully Sullivan on fb but is now private). She said she missed these “buddies” (publicly announcing she misses Matt) just before Elizabeth went missing. That always stood out to me. Also, she moved into the townhouse the Sullivan’s shared (Matt Elizabeth & daughters in liberty station Navy housing) less than a month after Elizabeth disappeared and started taking photos, posted publicly, of Matt & Elizabeth’s girls shortly after. All of that is pretty odd on most people’s terms. I know there were lots of rumors in San Diego regarding their new relationship and where Elizabeth may have “gone”. I always suspected Matt did something to her for all of the reasons above, and to be honest, never believed the new gf wasn’t aware of at least some details. How could she not know something? It is pretty interesting she continues to post photosof the family, despite Matt being charged with murder, and refers to the girls as “her family”. I wonder if any of those people who commented on her Jan 28th pic know where Matt really is? They may think he got deployed, or is away on business. Doubt she is advertising to those who don’t know that he is being held on first degree murder. And interesting her last post was Jan 28th and he wasn’t in court until Feb 14,2019. Possibly she believed the charges would be dropped? Idk. But if she seriously believes he didn’t do it with the blood under the carpet AND a WEAPON with Elizabeth and Matt’s dna on it hidden in her homes attic AND Elizabeth’s body found literally the day the gf and Matt are moving and leaving California, and super close to the home they are leaving ...well... she may be way more out of touch with reality than imaginable. I mean, she does keep her fb public, so that should say something about her judgement, in my opinion.

I have done jury duty in San Diego a few times. The count system is strong. Hopefully they have enough evidence to charge him, and anyone else who may have had knowledge of his doings! I’m hopeful this is just the beginning of the story unraveling. I doubt jurors will get to hear about the gf, though. Lots of new articles only say he moved to Delaware and started a new relationship. Um. No.

Really sad kids are involved!

Last edited:
Hmm...I doubt he's going to be home anytime soon.

Wondering who Elizabeth's daughters are living with now.

I think I read in a recent article that they were still with Elizabeth’s family. I will try to find where I read it. I know they were with her father following Matt’s arrest in 2018. And that pic that the gf posted on Jan 28, 2019 is old. That is the airport behind them and the son is a very small infant in the photo; I believe he is 2 or 3 years now. I doubt she has any recent photos with Elizabeth’s girls and her children

Thank you for pointing this out. I have wanted to link her fb page here for a couple years now but never did. Yes she has a public page, and has since she first moved in with Matthew Sullivan. There used to be old posts from late 2014 that mentioned her missing a few service buddies - one of which was tagged to Matt Sullivan (who went by Sully Sullivan on fb but is now private). She said she missed these “buddies” (publicly announcing she misses Matt) just before Elizabeth went missing. That always stood out to me. Also, she moved into the townhouse the Sullivan’s shared (Matt Elizabeth & daughters in liberty station Navy housing) less than a month after Elizabeth disappeared and started taking photos, posted publicly, of Matt & Elizabeth’s girls shortly after. All of that is pretty odd on most people’s terms. I know there were lots of rumors in San Diego regarding their new relationship and where Elizabeth may have “gone”. I always suspected Matt did something to her for all of the reasons above, and to be honest, never believed the new gf wasn’t aware of at least some details. How could she not know something? It is pretty interesting she continues to post photosof the family, despite Matt being charged with murder, and refers to the girls as “her family”. I wonder if any of those people who commented on her Jan 28th pic know where Matt really is? They may think he got deployed, or is away on business. Doubt she is advertising to those who don’t know that he is being held on first degree murder. And interesting her last post was Jan 28th and he wasn’t in court until Feb 14,2019. Possibly she believed the charges would be dropped? Idk. But if she seriously believes he didn’t do it with the blood under the carpet AND a WEAPON with Elizabeth and Matt’s dna on it hidden in her homes attic AND Elizabeth’s body found literally the day the gf and Matt are moving and leaving California, and super close to the home they are leaving ...well... she may be way more out of touch with reality than imaginable. I mean, she does keep her fb public, so that should say something about her judgement, in my opinion.

I have done jury duty in San Diego a few times. The count system is strong. Hopefully they have enough evidence to charge him, and anyone else who may have had knowledge of his doings! I’m hopeful this is just the beginning of the story unraveling. I doubt jurors will get to hear about the gf, though. Lots of new articles only say he moved to Delaware and started a new relationship. Um. No.

Really sad kids are involved!

Last strange thing. Or maybe not so strange but appears strange under the circumstances. The gf has a daughter with another man. She was with this man until a month or two before Elizabeth disappeared. Check it out on her fb.

So. She was with her daughters father. Moved with him. Obviously split a month or less before Elizabeth disappears. Gf posts a pic calling out Matt Sullivan and how she missed him (along w other Navy buddies - it was a pic of three men) somewhere between splitting with her daughter’s dad and Elizabeth going missing, which was a very short window of time. Then, just a month or so after her “I miss you” pic, a comment that came off as though she hadn’t seen Matt in a while, the following happens:

Elizabeth disappears
New gf moves in within a month.

That is one fast relationship! Even if they knew one another before Elizabeth’s disappearance, which she clearly did since the new gf posted on the New Years photo of Elizabeth on Elizabeth’s page BEFORE she disappeared. I suspect Matt just wanted Elizabeth out of the way so he cld play house with his new gf

Some of what's going in the courtroom.

I hope they will reveal where her body was for those two years. I think he must have had her hidden in a freezer until he was ready to move out of state. We sure waited a long time to see this Justice.

Yes me too. Very curious about those details! Regarding the article you attached; he may have not only been thinking about his mom and sister arriving in October. He may have also had his gf on his mind. She didn’t live in California prior to moving in w Matt. She had a 2 year old at the time, and had just split from her daughter’s father. Betting her potential move to California was discussed with Matt prior to Elizabeth disappearing. San Diego is very expensive in regards to housing...I mean, San Diego is expensive in all ways. Just speculating here, but IF new gf and Matt had a discussion about starting a relationship and she and her daughter moving to Cali, the hold up may have been housing options for a you g mother with a two year old. Matt wasn’t happy at home. Maybe getting rid of Elizabeth solved Matt’s “problems” in more than one way. Just one potential motive for what occurred

Monday, March 4th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ PT) – CA – Elizabeth Sullivan (31) (reported missing Oct. 14, 2014, San Diego; found Oct. 4, 2016 in San Diego Bay) – *Matthew Scott Sullivan (34) “husband” arrested (1/31/18 in Wyoming, Delaware, extradited 2/9/18), charged (2/14/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $2M bond. 2/14/19 Update: Was ordered Friday to stand trial on a first-degree murder charge. Arraignment hearing on 3/4.

It bugs me that the body must've been hidden in a freezer, maybe in a storage unit, for two years without anybody but the husband knowing about it? IMO, I would think he had someone helping in some way.

Affidavit: Blood and DNA on knife link ex-Navy man to wife's murder
Posted: Jan 31, 2018 7:33 PM PST Updated: Feb 01, 2018 7:01 AM PST

There was blood under the carpet and a knife in the attic that went unnoticed during the initial investigations. He must've had a lot of clean up to do. How did he whisk away the body so quickly? No one helped him? I hope we finally get answers.

I'd be willing to bet she's been dead for a long time, possibly frozen, but only in the water for a short period of time. When moving cross country, it could be difficult to take a dead body with you - gotta dump her somewhere!

"Not only was the body discovered almost two years exactly from her disappearance and close to where she lived, but it was also within days of Elizabeth's husband, Matt, moving from San Diego to Maryland with his fiancée, Kayla Turner, their new baby, and Elizabeth's two daughters."

Missing Navy Wife's Dead Body Pulled from San Diego Bay: 'We All Knew It Was Her'

Wow, this was posted over two years ago and some of us are still waiting for answers.

From that same article:
Garcia says Matt’s girlfriend moved in about two months after Elizabeth’s disappearance and quickly became a part of the community.
Missing Navy Wife's Dead Body Pulled from San Diego Bay: 'We All Knew It Was Her'

I remember Matt did an interview saying he was at the end of his rope, but in reality he moved on quickly. Here's some snippets of how he was suffering missing the wife he apparently replaced within months. Just my opinion though.

“I’m running on fumes right now, I don’t know where to look. I’m always looking around the neighborhood, trying to catch a glimpse of her. Even if I got a phone call saying she’s okay, it would put my mind at rest. But nothing at this point.”

snipped...“The girls need their mom. She’s never been gone this long, nowhere near this long..."

snipped...“It’s killing me. I’ve lost 25 lbs. It’s taking a toll physically and mentally,” he says. “I think about her constantly, I can’t stop..."

November 12, 2014 03:05 PM
'I'm at the End of My Rope,' Says Husband of Missing Mom Elizabeth Sullivan

"Mena said her body was in advanced decomposition and it weighed 60 pounds including her clothes. She had not been in the water for two years, and it appeared to been placed on her side for a long time, said Mena. Her identity was confirmed with dental records.

The finding of the body was just two days after Matthew Sullivan and his children moved to Delaware. Movers had emptied the house, and police later searched the attic.

Detective Kim Collier testified a cadaver dog reacted to an area in the garage, where there were an empty refrigerator and freezer that were plugged in even though there was nothing in them."

Read more: San Diego Community News Group - Matthew Sullivan ordered to trial in wife s murder

BBM

So - any news yet on "how he pled"? Probably not guilty...

This is one of those cases I have to look up every day....

And I just found him under Central County - not South. So yes, he had an arraignment yesterday.

Trial Date Set for Former U.S. Navy Sailor Accused of Killing Wife

The trial date has been set for a former U.S. Navy service member whose wife's body was found floating in San Diego Bay on the same day he was packing up his belongings and moving out of California.

Matthew Sullivan will go to trial on October 22 on suspicion that he killed his wife, Elizabeth Sullivan, in 2014.
[.....]
Her husband has pleaded not guilty to a murder charge and remains in jail on a $2 million bail.

It bugs me that the body must've been hidden in a freezer, maybe in a storage unit, for two years without anybody but the husband knowing about it? IMO, I would think he had someone helping in some way.

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 7:33 PM PST Updated: Feb 01, 2018 7:01 AM PST

There was blood under the carpet and a knife in the attic that went unnoticed during the initial investigations. He must've had a lot of clean up to do. How did he whisk away the body so quickly? No one helped him? I hope we finally get answers.

I agree. Unless he put her in one of the freezers in his home, then he may have not needed as much help. Seems impossible he could have done that and had no one notice, but if he put a ton of frozen goods on top, maybe there was no reason for anyone to look under, or not no reason, but just nobody ever looked

Appears she may have been a meth head and fentanyl user. If they could find this in her decomposed body in the bay, I am guessing it could have been a serious problem in the marriage.

Also, seems as if there were TWO freezers.

Trial Date Set for Former U.S. Navy Sailor Accused of Killing Wife

I don’t know anything about fentanyl or meth, but yes, could have lead to unreasonable disagreements due to the aggression those drugs bring on. Still doesn’t excuse his behavior, meth head or not.

And my family had a deep freezer growing up. Not sure if one of them was a deep freezer, but if so, it is not unusual to have things stacked in there and I don’t think someone wld go digging unless they really suspected something was strange. Not going to lie, though. If I ever had poor enough judgment to date this guy after (which I wouldn’t) and worse, chose to move my 2 year old into a random mans home with a missing wife..I would prob investigate everything in my new home to be sure nothing strange was going on. Maybe he was a deer hunter or deep sea fisher (very common in San Diego) and had some excuse for a lot of bottom freezer goods that she assumed were just that. I still find it hard to believe she didn’t know, though. Her move in was so close to Elizabeth disappearing, and then the fb post to Matt just before, and the fact that she knew Elizabeth before her death, AND taking photos of her kids and claiming to be mommy . Just all strange.

So - any news yet on "how he pled"? Probably not guilty...

This is one of those cases I have to look up every day....

And I just found him under Central County - not South. So yes, he had an arraignment yesterday.

What is central county in San Diego? People in San Deigo refer to county areas as north county, east and south county. The west is all city of San Diego. I’ve never heard the term central county. It is San Diego city, or North, south or east county. They lived in Point Loma at Liberty Station, which is an upscale area of San Diego city (west near water), and a highly desired area for military housing (which are all over the city and county areas) and everyone else who wants a million+ home. It is hard to get a housing spot in Loma Portal (the area they lived in) Navy have to petition to live there..

Edit: I apologize. Just looked it up. Apparently the internet has many references to central county. I’ve just never heard the term living there. Normally, living there, you just say Mission Bay, Mission Beach, Point Loma, Pacific Beach, Northpark, University Heights, Sierra Mesa, etc ..as in name a location within the city.

Last edited:
MamaZA - I have no idea - but on the San Diego court site they list Central, South, North & East counties to pick from to look at the court docket. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back