GUILTY CA - Elizabeth Sullivan, 31, San Diego, 13 Oct 2014 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
...snipped...Gf is friends w Elizabeth Sullivan on fb. Did they know one another before she disappeared?

You're right. Elizabeth and her husband's gf were fb friends.
https://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.sullivan.756?lst=100003706426706:812406831:1484373214

It looks like Elizabeth was a devoted mother. I don't know who killed her, but I expect LE to still be investigating her murder. I'm worried we won't hear another word about this case from LE. It's so wrong that someone took her from her children's lives. Someone took her life and all her options away from her. Whoever did it is still out there. I doubt it was some stranger. Who?

I completely agree, Curious. Elizabeth and her children were robbed of a life together. That is terrible! I also believe whoever did this was not a stranger to her. I guess we wait and see what happens

Thank you, Curious Me! I have read this site many times but never felt compelled to comment until now.

I wanted to mention that my above comment is just my opinion. I am not accusing Matt Sullivan. I just think his behavior is odd and leaves people with questions.

I find it odd that he claims she was never out more than a night yet he let four days go by and never reported her missing. A friend did instead. And while he was in the Navy, I belive he was stationed here in san diego and not out on deployment...so why didnt he report her missing? Why is it he had to be notified of the missing person's report as an early article mentioned.

I agree, Curious Me. Somebody killed her and at this point they feel they got away with it. I equally hope investigators do not let this case go cold.

Also wanted to mention. Liberty station is a big place with many people running around. I do not believe the "sightings" of her were actually her, especially since thereporting party did not know her. There are many people that looks like Elizabeth in san diego. Could have been a look-a-like. Im sure the "confirmed sighting" comment was just meant to be that police were confirming that someone reported seeing her. Not that they confirmed it was in fact Elizabeth. Just my thoughts.

I've heard very little about the husband's military status around the time Elizabeth went missing. Was he on a ship or on shore duty? If onboard a ship was he on duty during the period she went missing? I don't believe he was on deployment. However, if he was onboard ship they could have been out on a training exercise just off the coast. When I was stationed onboard a ship it wasn't unusual to go out on a Monday and come back on a Friday and I remember one 3 week stretch where we were only in port on the weekends. Very little has been said.

I also wonder if there is a chance NCIS couldn't get involved. In the Meghan Landowski case here in Portsmouth VA, I believe the local PD had the lead, but NCIS was still involved since Meghan was the daughter of a Navy man.

Thank you, JnRyan! That is all great information regarding your own experience, and her husband's duty on Oct 13-17 certainly would be important to know.

I have tried to get my mind off this case but I can't stop thinking about that Elizabeth and the husband's new girlfriend were friends on fb. I know some people have their profile set up to accept any friend request. I was thinking : is it possible the gf requested to be friends with Elizabeth AFTER she disappeared?! So i decided to go back and look at pictures on Elizabeth's page. The husband's new gf is very active on fb so I figured if they were friends she probably would have "liked" something along the way...and OMG! I was shocked to see that she liked one of the photos previously posted on here - the picture of her leaning against the staircase on New years 2013 https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151282606601832&id=812406831&set=ecnf.812406831&source=49

If she liked this picture when it was posted, then these women knew eachother for at least a year and a half before she disappeared, if not more.

If she befriended Elizabeth after she disappeared and liked the photo AFTER she disappeared and started dating her husband..well. i dont know. To me that would be ever MORE strange.

So going with the assumption that they knew eachother before.. did the gf know Elizabeth's husband before she disappeared too? Were they all friends?

Knowing they had any connection prior to her disappearing makes me even more suspicious about the husband than i was before. Something doesn't smell right..that's for sure.

I truely hope law enforcement are aware of the above.

I don't know who killed Elizabeth, but I expect LE to figure it out. They usually investigate the spouse thoroughly, and now that they finally know she was murdered they need to investigate further.

One case I followed comes to mind where the wife and the gf were fb friends and knew each other from school days.

Remember the Chris Coleman 2009 case? It still haunts me, and I hope you won't mind my bringing it up.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ett-and-Gavin-murdered-5-5-09-Columbia-IL-Pt1

https://www.stlmag.com/A-Family-Erased-The-Chris-Coleman-Story/

Wife introduced husband to this friend living in a different state. Husband had a job traveling as security for the church ministries. Next thing you know, affair starts, he's in heat and lost his mind. He kills wife and his two sons in a most horrendous way, but LE was on to him fast because he left evidence and a trail in his foolish stupidity. He wanted to start over with new hot gf, even set a wedding date, but he worked for Joyce Myers church and a divorce would've made him lose his job. His girlfriend was at his trial, but they didn't think she was involved in the murder plan.

I can only hope LE puts as much time into checking things out as our MamaZA has been doing. :wink:

Haha. Yes I unfortunately have spent some time snooping...I'm not usually a fb snooper but this topic had me so curious I got stuck on finding out if they knew one another before.

So here is what I found: (I will not link to the gf facebook acct BUT she did publicly "like" a photo on Elizabeth's fb page on Jan 01'2013 - see previous post).

Gf makes a reference to Elizabeth's husband Matt Sullivan on a November 11, 2014. She comments that she "misses" him and two other "Sailors" pictured in the photo. Possibly the gf and husband Sullivan were in the Navy together? Idk but clearly the two of them knew one another before 2014.

On sept 09,2014 gf posts that her "little family" is back together. She is obviously still with her daughter's father (her ex).

On Oct 13, 2014 (of all days) she posts something about "moving on" and appears to move to west Virginia shortly after.

I am in NO WAY saying this woman is involved. I'm just stating facts (publicly posted) that may or may not lend more information as to what happened to Elizabeth Sullivan. It is interesting that the gf clearly knew Matthew Sullivan enough to mention him specifically on fb (nov 11, 2014 picture post).

And most likely it is all a coincidence but it is even more interesting that it appears the gf ended a relationship sometime around Oct 13th, 2014. Just saying...

ok. I will end it with that. I feel horrible checking out this woman's page, but she did open the door by publicly liking a photograph of Elizabeth used in media stories. I wonder if she is aware her name was recently printed in news stories along with Matt Sullivan's. Doesn't take much investigation to verify all of the above from Elizabeth's fb page links.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if she was involved. I'm pretty sure the husband is. Just my personal opinion of course.

I need to get verified as an insider on this one but here is a twist. NC on Dec 5 brutality attacked and attempted to kill a 29yo man who was helping him move from SD to Palm Springs. NC has a history of violent incidents. There is more to this than just a spousal issue. Will update more once I get verified. However, I have a strong belief NC was involved as more than a friend.

:whoosh: initials? :waitasec:

Friend: Navy wife met with divorce attorney before her murder
Posted: Dec 09, 2016 5:58 PM PST
http://www.cbs8.com/story/34019818/friend-navy-wife-met-with-divorce-attorney-before-her-murder

In an exclusive interview with CBS News 8, the friend, Nathan Caracter, also said there was a history of domestic violence and infidelity in the marriage.

Liz Sullivan, 31, lived in military housing on Truxtun Road in Liberty Station with her navy husband, Matt Sullivan, and their two young daughters.

“She was smart, very intelligent, very quick and witty; and a good mother, very dedicated to the wellbeing of her children,” said Caracter.

Caracter and Sullivan became friends – he is gay -- after Sullivan purchased eyeglasses from Caracter while he was working as an optician in San Diego.

The weekend before she went missing in October 2014, Sullivan spent the night at Caracter’s apartment planning her divorce, according to Caracter.

Cvadden: I am curious about the information you have posted about NC. Where did you get this info? I have found nothing regarding an arrest of NC (assuming you are referring to the name in thr article above ) and I checked out arrests in san diego county for december 5th - no arrests of anyone with initials NC for any related crime. Was this Dec 5th, 2016? 2015? 2014? I will continue to check the logs for 14/15 years. I alsp couldn't find any related story connected to palm springs....NOT saying you are incorrect. Just curious how and where you heard this....

I didn't catch it all, but I'll post the news article below.

Just now, a local San Diego news station reported on exclusive info obtained from police reports stating that Elizabeth's husband called to report her missing the night she disappeared. He also made sure to mention Elizabeth was trying to "frame him" and get him in trouble so she'd get custody of the children.

Sullivan’s husband, Matthew Sullivan, called 911 on Oct. 13, 2014 to report his wife was “going to frame him and have him arrested.” He told San Diego police she “made a mess of the bedroom and took photos,” according to a CAD report from the 911 call.

Elizabeth had also called 911 in the past.

She called 911 in March 2014 during an argument and told police there was a history of domestic violence between the couple. The couple argued about custody and child support, according to statements both made to the police.

Elizabeth told police she was concerned that March 2014 fight may escalate.

The news also mentioned the odd fact that her body was found just after he moved out of state. However, it was reported that LE has no suspects or arrests yet at this time. Also Elizabeth's father had no comment.

Husband Called 911 Same Day Navy Mom Disappeared in 2014
Police said Sullivan is not a suspect in his wife’s murder
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-New-Details-In-Murder-Mystery-412624673.html

Not surprised that this case has been moved to the Cold Cases Forum, but I'm certainly bummed out about it. :frown:

:tsktsk: Someone is getting away with a murder!

Curiousme: thank you so much for this. I hadn't seen this article but am so glad to see that someone in san diego media is looking into this further. Someone is certainly getting away with murder!! I have a strong gut feeling about who that may be... but...

One question. Did he really call 911 to report her missing on the same day she disappeared or did he just call 911 to report that she was planning to frame him and messed up their room/took pics? To me that sounds like things may have gotten physical on that day and she took pics and said she would report him so he tried to jump the gun and call himself to claim she was framing him in an attempt to avoid getting in trouble..just my opinion. Women do frame men but when they turn up missing on the very day you claim this - obviously the story will be in question. This along with the previous 911 info and the new gf so soon after his wife is missing...

I guess a second question is regarding that friend who called the day after she went missing. Wasn't it reported that Nathan reported her missing on the 16th? Did a different friend report her missing on the 14th as the article states? If so that would mean another friend had knowledge that she feared her husband? This would verify what Nathan reported to police and what Elizabeth told police herself in March 2014.

I didn't catch it all, but I'll post the news article below.

Just now, a local San Diego news station reported on exclusive info obtained from police reports stating that Elizabeth's husband called to report her missing the night she disappeared. He also made sure to mention Elizabeth was trying to "frame him" and get him in trouble so she'd get custody of the children.

Elizabeth had also called 911 in the past.

The news also mentioned the odd fact that her body was found just after he moved out of state. However, it was reported that LE has no suspects or arrests yet at this time. Also Elizabeth's father had no comment.

Husband Called 911 Same Day Navy Mom Disappeared in 2014
Police said Sullivan is not a suspect in his wife’s murder
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...-New-Details-In-Murder-Mystery-412624673.html

Thanks for the article. I've been following the case as she is from this part of Virginia, but I missed this one. Interesting in that SDPD state that the husband is not a suspect. But then they say they have no suspects. So far.

Checking in to see if there is any movement here. I still haven't heard an explanation for how Elizabeth could have gone missing - leaving her children behind - and is found 2 years later with the body apparently not in the condition I would expect it to be in if it had been in the water for 2 years. I'm sure LE knows that from the autopsy by now, but holding on to that info.

"I'm sure LE knows that from the autopsy by now, but holding on to that info."
Absolutely ........

Just did a search on the internet. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I certainly hope SDPD is keeping the family informed of the status. I wish the media out there would push for an update as this looks like a forgotten crime. With no family in San Diego, there is no family presence at the newspaper, TV or LE, to push for answers.

No updates. While I've read that LE found Elizabeth in a body of water, I've since seen photos of LE at the crime scene and it was on the bank of that body of water. Of course, if she was on the bank how could she have been there for 2 years without being found? Was her body recently put in the water and the tide carried it up onto the bank?

Again, I can't help but believe that without any family local - she was from Newport News or Hampton VA - and no husband pushing for results this isn't high on the list of cold cases in San Diego.

The 4 mark of when she was last seen has come and gone and nothing from LE and the media. With all of her relatives here on the east coast and her husband back on the east coast it's like there is no one in San Diego to stay on top of this case. This is really sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fales922
Back