CA CA - Emily Jordan Richards, 24, Inglewood, 1963/1966

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Age progressions

Emily Roberta Jordan Richards
Los Angeles County, California
24 year old white female

Height (inches)66.0 to 68.0
Weight (pounds)120.0 to 140.0

Hair: Brown; Last known wavy and fairly short - over ears but not to shoulder.
Eyes: Brown or Hazel

Circumstances: Emily R. Jordan Richards hasn't been in contact with her family since 1963, but it was recently learned that she married in Los Angeles County, CA in 1966.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/27557/

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=758775964314395&id=314563652068964

A really interesting case involving mob connections, FBI investigation and name changes. I am normally reluctant to use blogs as an information source, but Pinging our Outfit historians with questions has the most comprehensive explanation of the situation and it is supported by more mainstream sources (although not in the same detail). It seems she and her boyfriend (who was mob connected in Chicago) left Illinois after some problems. She then changed her name (Jordan) to his (Richards) in 1965 in Florida and they married in 1966 in LA. After that the trail goes cold....

Almost anything is possible in this case.

One small oddity came up in this case on closer examination, which those with more knowledge than me about the US Social Security system may be able to clarify. When the boyfriend (and subsequently husband) of Emily - Bruce A Richards - changed his name to John Ryan O'Brien in '65 he seems to have been issued with a new SSN. I know this from his entry on the US Social Security Index on Ancestry from his death in 2009. I was under the impression that name changes were recorded to existing SSN's and that being given a new SSN was and is not usual. If this is unusual I wonder how it would have happened and whether it may indicate LE involvement (since the new SSN was issued in Illinois).

A related odd feature is that, whilst he was - apparently - issued with a new SSN as John O'Brien in 1965 in Illinois, he then married Emily as Bruce Richards in California in 1966.

What was going on?

I don't know @alb1on but it sounds like identity theft or fraud or something... But I don't think a fake one would be tied to a real one and tracked by SS... So I'm stumped. :confused:

Not sure if this can shed light or not but here is the history of SS numbers: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v56n1/v56n1p83.pdf

Thanks for this. I think the document does explain how he would have been able to get a new number under his new identity. It says that universal screening of applications only came in from 1971 and before that SSNs were issued by field offices with limited checks. I do not think the new identity and old identity were linked on the SSN; he just applied for and received a new SSN.

This is a real rabbit hole :)

Thanks for this. I think the document does explain how he would have been able to get a new number under his new identity. It says that universal screening of applications only came in from 1971 and before that SSNs were issued by field offices with limited checks. I do not think the new identity and old identity were linked on the SSN; he just applied for and received a new SSN.

This is a real rabbit hole :)

Hello and thank you for reading Emily's case here.

The social security numbers, while I don't know if they're connected, he died in a VA hospital, receiving VA benefits, therefore I'm leaning to believe or assume that his name change was either done legally, with the help of LE, or, it was prior to being under any radar for identity theft and he was able to carry out claiming to be someone else, as himself. I have learned that his name change is right in line with serving less than a year in prison, on a plea deal, from the 1964 FBI case of Interstate Transportation of Stolen Property, this was in reference to a counterfeit savings bond case connected to Emily. I have also learned that Bruce\John also went by the nick name "Jack", was a horrible drunk, had many aliases, walked with a limp due to an accident\surgery of some kind, had a large scar down his back to his butt, and claimed he was from New York. I know that his first marriage ended due to his affair with Emily. I know that the FBI, prior to arresting Bruce/John, showed up at my fathers relatives home in Nebraska, claiming that family was "hiding" Emily, because when they arrested Bruce/John, she wasn't with him, or so he and they claimed. They told family that he took a plea deal and was sent back to Chicago. She was never located. This was mid 1965.
I cannot answer why in 1966, a marriage pops up in California, with both of them using their birth names, instead of their second issued names. I cannot track her to the address on the marriage certificate, nor him. I have acquired tax documents for both addresses listed and have been unsuccessful at locating the owners of that said time (1966).
I do know that since March 1964, Emily has had ZERO activity on both SS'# I know that Bruce/John died in 2009, and his late wife/partner died in 2010. Her niece dove through tons of boxes for me to find documents, and what she found was a box with files labeled, marriages, divorce, etc and each file was EMPTY!
I spoke to Bruce/Johns first wives sister, and niece, along with the nieces husband who was a caretaker for Bruce/Johns first wife. He claims she was vicious, had a sailors mouth and wouldn't put it past her to have had something to do with Emily's disappearance. Knowing that she was the result of the marriage ending. Their divorce stated, adultry and a drunk. She later married a co-worker of Bruce/Johns who worked at the same dealership he did. The first wives sister's only comment was " I don't want any trouble" and never spoke again on this conversation.
I have ruled out several Jane Doe's over the years, including St Petersburg 1969 Doe, and currently working on "Rosie" doe out of Huntington Beach. My research is endless, so much more than what is here. I cant say how much I, and my family appreciate everyone that is looking, searching, commenting, and theorizing. Please message with questions and ideas, We will gladly hear them all!!

Is it possible she could have gotten into drugs or prostitution and found her way to San Francisco? A group I am in is researching a serial killer who would have been on the police force during this time.

Thanks
Rebecca

A small bit of additional information from family trees on Ancestry. Her DoB is 17 September 1942 in Bloomington, Illinois. The trees also list her as Roberta Emily Jordan (rather than Emily Roberta), but there is no doubt it is the right person as the mother's maiden name is Moews and the disappearance is noted in the trees.

A small bit of additional information from family trees on Ancestry. Her DoB is 17 September 1942 in Bloomington, Illinois. The trees also list her as Roberta Emily Jordan (rather than Emily Roberta), but there is no doubt it is the right person as the mother's maiden name is Moews and the disappearance is noted in the trees.

Yes, that's likely my family tree that you're looking at. The entire family called her Roberta, so when I found the marriage that named her Emily Roberta, everyone was surprised. SO our tree has her as "Roberta" Emily. Place of birth is still unknown...Indiana or Illinois.

She was just added to the Charley Project
Emily Roberta Richards – The Charley Project

richards_emily.jpg
richards_emily2.jpg
richards_emily_ap.jpg
richards_emily_ap2.jpg

• Missing Since 01/01/1964
  • Missing From Chicago, Illinois
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth09/17/1942 (79)
  • Age21 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6 - 5'8, 120 - 140 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown/hazel eyes. Emily's maiden name is Jordan.
Details of Disappearance
Emily was last known to have been in Chicago, Illinois sometime in early 1964. She worked at a Pontiac dealership and was attending Illinois State Normal University, and was dating a man named Bruce A. Richards. He allegedly had some organized crime connections.

During February 1964, Emily was being investigated by the FBI in connection with a counterfeit check scheme. She stopped contacting her family, and they never heard from her again.

Emily is believed to have left of her own accord, at least initially. Bruce was arrested sometime in 1965, served a year in jail, and subsequently changed his name to John Ryan O'Brien.

A records search showed that Emily, or someone using her identity, married Bruce in Los Angeles County, California in 1966. Bruce later got married to, and subsequently divorced from, someone else. No divorce record can be found for his marriage to Emily, however. He died in 2009.

Emily was not reported missing until 2015. There has been no indication of her whereabouts since her marriage in 1966.
Investigating Agency
  • Inglewood Police Department 310-412-5211
Source Information
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated April 17, 2022; casefile added.

Emily has 13 rules listed in NamUs
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
UP5211 09/30/1968 Will IL
UP8419 01/16/2001 Isle of Wight VA
UP15862 02/02/1982 McLean IL
UP6150 11/07/1998 Stafford VA
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA
UP8579 01/25/1981 Hanover VA
UP6642 08/07/1986 Chesterfield VA
UP5556 05/30/1976 Virginia Beach VA
UP1019 10/31/1969 Pinellas FL
UP7690 09/11/2005 Orange CA
UP10960 06/08/1968 Los Angeles CA

Emily has 13 rules listed in NamUs
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
UP5211 09/30/1968 Will IL
UP8419 01/16/2001 Isle of Wight VA
UP15862 02/02/1982 McLean IL
UP6150 11/07/1998 Stafford VA
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA
UP8579 01/25/1981 Hanover VA
UP6642 08/07/1986 Chesterfield VA
UP5556 05/30/1976 Virginia Beach VA
UP1019 10/31/1969 Pinellas FL
UP7690 09/11/2005 Orange CA
UP10960 06/08/1968 Los Angeles CA
Thank you for posting this....I've been waiting for NamUS to let me log back into her case file to see this. There might be a few more by now...I also would like to eliminate a few other unidentified on NamUS as well. Anything new here??

Thank you for posting this....I've been waiting for NamUS to let me log back into her case file to see this. There might be a few more by now...I also would like to eliminate a few other unidentified on NamUS as well. Anything new here??
Hi - I just checked. Her NamUs profile hasn't added any additional rule outs. Last modified 5/25/22, but they didn't add any rule outs then.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kat1970
Back