CA - Emma Barker, 18 mos, suffocated, Lancaster, 18 March 2009 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe they let her go home. I can understand death related charges pending a COD. But I KNOW LE could find something to hold her on. OJ for one thing. They do it all the time.

The thing that strikes me is that in most cases like this, the mother quickly breaks and confesses. So how is KC sticking to her story after all this time? There is a serious mental issue going on with her, IMO.

Back to this girl; I wonder why they didn't hold her, too. Unless they have definitive evidence that her death was an accident. I would think that she needs to be under a suicide watch; I know that I would.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but are you saying if she was black and not white then she would have been arrested already? I honestly don't understand what race has to do with this. I'm puzzled too as to why she hasn't been arrested but I don't think it's because of her race. IMO

No that's not what I am saying. CLEARLY you misunderstood. I also said because she is young and a female. I am a white, young, female myself so race clearly isn't a concern for me. I was simply stating my opinion.

I think if they can confirm it is an accident they will charge her with concealing a dead body and filing a false report. if it is murder then she will be charged appropriately. She is probably being surveilled and she won't be going anywhere. I think they are waiting for final autopsy results before they doing anything else.

No that's not what I am saying. CLEARLY you misunderstood. I also said because she is young and a female. I am a white, young, female myself so race clearly isn't a concern for me. I was simply stating my opinion.

My apologies. I was just trying to understand your reasoning. I agree that she is probably being treated differently because she is a young mother (female). I just think a young black mother would get the same treatment with what evidence they do have. But again that's just my opinion. To be honest, I am pretty speechless in regards to her being released.

I'm at a loss. If my child died as a result of an accident, being BLAMED is not the first thing that would enter my mind!

I would feel so guilty, there would be no possible way that I could then,

1. drive somewhere and dump my child by the side of a road
2. drive somewhere else and then cause physical injury to myself, partially undress myself and then notify police.

What am I missing here?
I was *so* going to post a similar sentiment before the news broke that she had lied in the first place. Though, my post was dripping with sarcasm and something to the effect of... may I see a show of hands of who would dump their child like so much trash if their child accidentally died in their care? I would expect zero takers.

As for this woman and her latest claim. At the very least, and imho, even if this little girl's death was an accident, they should charge her for improper burial and filing a false police report about a "missing child."

Btw, and fwiw, the latter is codified under the California State Penal Code as follows:
False Police Reports

It is unlawful to make a false police report which results in or could result in activation of the Emergency Alert System, sometimes referred to as "Amber Alert" (this section does not apply to a good faith report of a missing child by a parent or guardian). (Penal Code § 148.3)

That said, Iow why we are seeing such a seemingly sharp increase in filicide? Has the "Susan Smith Syndrome" become common place? Or has it always been this bad and the age of technology is simply bringing it to the forefront?

My apologies. I was just trying to understand your reasoning. I agree that she is probably being treated differently because she is a young mother (female). I just think a young black mother would get the same treatment with what evidence they do have. But again that's just my opinion. To be honest, I am pretty speechless in regards to her being released.

It is an indication that they believe at this point it was an accident. She is not likely a threat to anyone other than herself at this point. Most parents are not prosecuted for accidental deaths. If the autopsy supports her story she will likely get probation on the abuse of a corpse and filing a false police report charge.

There are many cases like this. There is one in Florida where the adult daughter bagged her 84 year old mother's body in trash bags and dumped on the side of the road. No missing persons report, no nothing. In the months it took for someone to find the body, which had to be IDed by the serial number on her replacement hip, the adult daughter was cashing her pension checks. Lied her *advertiser censored* off when the police came knocking. Quickly caved and fessed up. Probation.

this breaks my heart.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jFy1qdK6c1vUwTRoHS6MDvv_EAZQD9723LP00

Gary Barker, the woman's father, declined to comment on his daughter's claims, but told The Associated Press that his granddaughter's death was "such an unnatural tragedy." He said Barker and the child lived at his home and that he had last seen Emma on Tuesday night.

"I was holding her in the family room, and I was dancing with her and slowly dipping her," he said. "After that it was bedtime, and Stacey gave her a bottle and put her to bed."

another comment from this.

really!
stacy is 23 NOT 20 !!!! that is the media is feeding you whitch is a lie! the barker family loved emma!! her uncle is broken down right now and to hear ppl saying it was his sister that killed emma..BS.. for you guys to think you got yourselves a degree in det. work just by watching the media and reading about it.... let the family cope. let the det. do their jobs and figure it out b4 pointing fingers. emma ment the world to the barker family!!! she was her uncle reason to live and keep going now he doesnt have her.... give them space stop pointing fingers tell you know..., please,..,-kp
Posted by kristin parsons at 11:11 am Mar 20, 2009

To reinforce her initial story of an attack, Barker inflicted wounds to her head, partially disrobed and acted semiconscious when police arrived. She was taken by ambulance to a medical center.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-baby21-2009mar21,0,4986313.story

Also from the link you posted Laura (TY)

"On Friday, coroner's officials conducted an autopsy on the girl's body. Ed Winter, assistant chief coroner, said a determination of the cause of death was deferred pending further tests."

Can't find anymore updated news today. I cannot get this sweet child out of my head.

I am glad that she confess, I don't think we can handle another Casey Anthony, should she be arrest for objuction of Justic? I don't know! It very sad story. a least it did not go on forever.

I am glad that she confess, I don't think we can handle another Casey Anthony, should she be arrest for objuction of Justic? I don't know! It very sad story. a least it did not go on forever.

Perhaps one small good to come from Casey is that this woman did not try to drag it out. Once she realized LE wasn't buying her story, she told where her DD was. It doesn't take a genius to realize that Casey has put her family and friends through hell, painted herself into a legal corner with her nanny story, and is in jail anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if LE questioning this girl even used Casey as a tactic..."was it an accident? Just tell us. Because no one is going to buy this Casey Anthony abduction crap. You'll be the next most hated woman in America and the jury will be anxious to give you the longest possible sentence. But you can tell us if it was an accident and we can help you. Just tell us where she is."

That's my totally amateur guess about how it went.

What a horrible story NO matter the outcome. Most important is that this precious baby was taken off this earth WAY too early.

RIP Baby Emma :blowkiss::blowkiss:

How sad! I just don't understand how a mother disposes of her child's body like it was trash. I had PPD twice and wanted to end my life sometimes, but never my childrens'! I am very interested in what the cause of death was.

Haven't heard any updates on this case, but I can't get Emma off my mind. She was such a beautiful little girl with her whole life ahead of her. Hopefully she and Caylee are in heaven playing dolls together. :(

Haven't heard any updates on this case, but I can't get Emma off my mind. She was such a beautiful little girl with her whole life ahead of her. Hopefully she and Caylee are in heaven playing dolls together. :(

I cannot either, calimommy. I thought about it first thing this morning and still can't find anything new. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some more information, not that it would make me understand any more.

You don't dump your treasured child on the side of the road regardless of how she died.....PERIOD!:furious:

I found this.

Stacey Barker lived at home with her parents and younger brother who all took turns taking care of the family's first and only grandchild, Gary Barker said. His wife worked at night so they wouldn't have to send Emma to day care, while his son watched Emma during the morning so other family members could rest.

Gary Barker said there are constant reminders of Emma around the house that surface at the most unexpected moments. The TV menu catalogued the last movies they watched together. Emma especially loved "Bee Movie" and "Alvin and the Chipmunks," he said.

http://www.dailynews.com/breakingnews/ci_11963977

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members