Found Deceased CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m so afraid with all the confusion in reporting, the vehicle, the shutting down of her Facebook account, all the weird randomness of this that I’m actuality tells us nothing that this case is going to just be left to twist in the wind.

Praying that’s not the case but how would you even begin with all the unknown and conflicting information?

I'm still confused on the timeline. They found the vandalized car Monday and wrote a note.

They then found the car Tuesday in a different location and had it towed.

However, they have video of the car leaving the park Tuesday night? Am I crazy

I'm still confused on the timeline. They found the vandalized car Monday and wrote a note.

They then found the car Tuesday in a different location and had it towed.

However, they have video of the car leaving the park Tuesday night? Am I crazy

No this is correct. The car was found stuck in the sand on Tuesday. Looks like someone made an attempt to drive it, but failed. Maybe due to the damage.

But who drove it?

No this is correct. The car was found stuck in the sand on Tuesday. Looks like someone made an attempt to drive it, but failed. Maybe due to the damage.

But who drove it?

But they stated CHP had it towed Tuesday. Yet it was seen leaving the park Tuesday night. What time was it seen on video? What time was it towed. Very basic information yet not being reported.

Curious as to if they could see who was driving on video. I'd lean towards not being able to with it night time bit wouldn't they state that? If they were withholding that due to maybe a POI, you'd think that would have been addressed by now given the length of her disappearance

Has anyone been to this exact campground before? Is cell service nonexistent? I was thinking - perhaps she went off walking somewhere, came back and found her car vandalized but it was late at night and she decided just to sleep in her car because she had no cell service. Decided to drive out the next day to get help/get cell service and the car got stuck/broke down.

If that happened, she could have been picked up by anybody on that road and something nefarious could have taken place. This is all just supposition on my part but trying to connect the dots.

There’s now a with her mom as the beneficiary. On the , her aunt mentions the family’s fear that the case is being treated as though it were already cold, so they’re hoping to pay for private investigators and help with her son’s expenses.

Has anyone been to this exact campground before? Is cell service nonexistent? I was thinking - perhaps she went off walking somewhere, came back and found her car vandalized but it was late at night and she decided just to sleep in her car because she had no cell service. Decided to drive out the next day to get help/get cell service and the car got stuck/broke down.

If that happened, she could have been picked up by anybody on that road and something nefarious could have taken place. This is all just supposition on my part but trying to connect the dots.

Which campground do you mean by exact? I have seen Indian Cove mentioned and also Jumbo Rocks. I am still not sure where her car was seen because it has been reported a few different ways. Like many others are saying, the details are confusing. I am very familiar with JTNP. In fact, I was just there a few days ago.

Indian Cove campground is part of JTNP but to access it you stay outside of the park, meaning you do not go through the main entrance. It is not a large campground. There might or might not be cell service there. It's spotty, but if she wanted service she wouldn't need to go far as this campground isn't too far from town.

Jumbo Rocks campground is deeper in the park. Cell service in the park is spotty at best. I always turn my phone off so the battery doesn't drain. It takes roughly half an hour to get back to the main entrance of the park (on the Joshua Tree side) from Jumbo Rocks campground. I spent time in this area of the park a few days ago and had no cell service.

Just a couple of interesting facts about JTNP, it is larger than the state of Rhode Island and you can drive the road that goes north-south through the park, put your radio on scan, and not pick up a single station for about an hour.

The area outside of the park has developed a lot over the past few years, but it still has a bit of a sketchy reputation. People usually think of it as an area for hippies, drugs, and poverty as well as crime. I have a good friend who lives right outside the park and hikes there nearly every day. She might be a bit of a hippie at heart, but I assure you she does not use drugs or live in poverty. Just like many other places, it's a mixed bag and often the negatives are voiced more than the positives. It's a unique area, for sure. Desert living isn't for everyone and JTNP is definitely desert living.

Thanks for all the input on Joshua Tree. It's on my list of parks to visit someday. I absolutely love the desert. You're right - we still don't know exactly which campground her car was found at. It sounds like at both of them, cell service might be shotty or nonexistent.

Thanks for all the input on Joshua Tree. It's on my list of parks to visit someday. I absolutely love the desert. You're right - we still don't know exactly which campground her car was found at. It sounds like at both of them, cell service might be shotty or nonexistent.
It was reported to be in Jumbo Rocks, per the Erika Lloyd Facebook discussion group.

So an interesting note about Jumbo Rocks (I have camped here before, but it was long ago and there was definitely no cell service, it would not surprise me if it was still very spotty in this area) is that it was closed during this time frame due to aggressive bees. It only just re-opened recently. I don't think this sheds any further light on the case, but it may explain why other campers didn't see/talk to whomever was in the car and also might explain why rangers noted the car rather quickly.

Hoping for her family that she is just out of touch. The desert in the summer is an unforgiving place :(

National parks: Aggressive bees close a second Joshua Tree campground

So an interesting note about Jumbo Rocks (I have camped here before, but it was long ago and there was definitely no cell service, it would not surprise me if it was still very spotty in this area) is that it was closed during this time frame due to aggressive bees. It only just re-opened recently. I don't think this sheds any further light on the case, but it may explain why other campers didn't see/talk to whomever was in the car and also might explain why rangers noted the car rather quickly.

Hoping for her family that she is just out of touch. The desert in the summer is an unforgiving place :(

It looks like the article was written July 9 (updated July 14) and the first sentence says: "Rangers at Joshua Tree National Park , who five days ago shut down the popular Jumbo Rocks Campground “due to aggressive honey bee activity" which makes it sound as if the campground was closed July 4. She went missing mid-June. Unless I am missing something/misreading.

It looks like the article was written July 9 (updated July 14) and the first sentence says: "Rangers at Joshua Tree National Park , who five days ago shut down the popular Jumbo Rocks Campground “due to aggressive honey bee activity" which makes it sound as if the campground was closed July 4. She went missing mid-June. Unless I am missing something/misreading.

Oh my - you are totally correct! When she went missing this campground was open and active, I mixed up my months.

Jumbo Rocks is not open. I've been out to JTNP twice in the last week (including last night) and both times it was closed.

I've been past JTNP once. I was there for about 3 days at the 29 Palms Marine Corps Base. That was a good drive from San Diego. But from Walnut Creek? That's quite a haul. Whoever drove it there had to stop for gas. I would hope LE checked her bank account and credit card activity.

HUMAN REMAINS FOUND IN WONDER VALLEY

We have limited information about a body that was found in the desert in Wonder Valley Wednesday afternoon. About 12:15, a man riding an off-road motorcycle reported that he discovered skeletal remains about a quarter-mile south of Amboy Road and Wilson Road in Wonder Valley. Early Thursday morning, Sheriff’s investigators collected the skeletal remains, and the Homicide team is conducting a death investigation. The coroner is attempting to make an identification. It’s unknown how long the remains have been in the area.

*I havent followed this case. But I read this might be close to where Erika was.*

Last edited:
I've been past JTNP once. I was there for about 3 days at the 29 Palms Marine Corps Base. That was a good drive from San Diego. But from Walnut Creek? That's quite a haul. Whoever drove it there had to stop for gas. I would hope LE checked her bank account and credit card activity.
Would be a priority surely?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cattdee
Back