GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand pro-bono for notoriety, but wasn't he "hired" right after the potato launcher charges.

I *think* that with the search warrants issued and questions that CL was probably asked, CL knew that this really wasn't about the potato gun. He wanted to get his "quacks" in a row in case things went south so to speak (which did happen). MOO

I don't know how he really thought he would ever get away with this.

I don't know how he really thought he would ever get away with this.

Because he's arrogant and cocky and he thinks he's smarter than the rest of us when in fact he's as dumb as a door knob. His arrogance and ego will be his ultimate demise, in my opinion.

I wonder if law enforcement has eyes on NL in Alaska, or where ever she may be?

I understand pro-bono for notoriety, but wasn't he "hired" right after the potato launcher charges.

Easy~ Nichole gave us the answers; Chris had no alibi for Sunday and he couldn't keep his stories straight.

Speaking of her worry about Sunday. Erin disappeared Saturday, surely all that happened could have been easily accomplished that very day.
Is the truth leaking out in that statement? Guess we'll have to wait until September 16th to get an answer.

I've been catching up with the case over the past couple of days. What has been his alibi? What can his possible defense be?

Well, I think earlier on he told the police he was looking for tires, and he also said he was hunting that day. The tire excuse was a dumb one since tires were found in the mine with Erin.

Easy~ Nichole gave us the answers; Chris had no alibi for Sunday and he couldn't keep his stories straight.

Speaking of her worry about Sunday. Erin disappeared Saturday, surely all that happened could have been easily accomplished that very day.
Is the truth leaking out in that statement? Guess we'll have to wait until September 16th to get an answer.

Good thinking. I think it is also telling that the Lees were at the horse ranch every weekend, but not the Saturday Erin went missing. Neither Nicole or Chris were there. They did go the next day, though. Hmmn, where was Nichole on Saturday then? Wonder what her alibi is.

nikb... in a nutshell, yes it's up to the woman whether she wants to end or not. If someone ends a pregnancy against her wishes/desires, then that's murder.

Thanks 2Hope4. I guess that makes sense but wow, what a fuzzy line IMO.

Kind of the same thought only different. If a woman who is between 1 and 3 months pregnant is assaulted and has a miscarriage as a result, what would the charges be. Would it be murder?

Good question here, too. I have a friend who found out her husband (now ex) was cheating on her very early in her pregnancy. She miscarried and in her mind blamed him and the stress of the whole situation for her miscarriage. Makes me wonder, could she have technically filed legal charges against him too?

So many women miscarry early on in pregnancy. How do you prove what (or who, potentially) caused it?

I mean in this case IF Erin was pregnant and CL's found guilty, it's pretty clear he caused the death of the fetus along with Erin, but I wonder if it gets difficult for them to press charges if she was very early in her pregnancy.

Good thinking. I think it is also telling that the Lees were at the horse ranch every weekend, but not the Saturday Erin went missing. Neither Nicole or Chris were there. They did go the next day, though. Hmmn, where was Nichole on Saturday then? Wonder what her alibi is.

My bad, I thought the "no alibi" statement from Nichole was Sunday. I was wrong, she was talking about Saturday.

Like the rest of you though, I think what she chose to address and tell Megli is important. It speaks to state of mind and guilty knowledge, MOO. I wonder if that "missed" thing was the .22? Would the timing between telling Megli that and actually serving the warrant and getting the gun from the closet be correct?

While staying at the horse ranch in early July, Nichole Lee, supposedly told Megli that authorities "missed something" while searching Lee's apartment, and that she was worried her husband did not have an alibi and would "not be able to keep his lies straight."

A couple things:

1. I think CL paid the lawyer for representation IRT the potato launcher debacle with the understanding that if other charges were brought to the table, lawyer would do it pro-bono (with notoriety being his motive).
2. It would be helpful to know WHEN CL asked his friend how to dispose of a body, as well as the "internet searches". Was it the night before or three weeks before? I wonder how planned out this was? If it was a rushed, impulsive decision, I can see him killing/disposing her on Saturday, then going back on Sunday with tires to start a fire down there. However, that is a HUGE risk to go back to the site. Then again, he's not the smartest guy.

Other than that, I have no idea why an alibi for Sunday would be necessary, especially because part of the day he was at the horse ranch (or so we think).

I haven't come up with any plausible explanation for motive other than CL believed he was the father. Maybe he told someone. He asked someone how to dispose of a body. It makes sense that he would tell a buddy that he got a girl pregnant & that girl wasn't his wife. Although, it makes more sense to get in the truck & drive to Alaska & deny deny deny instead of plotting a murder.

I think it came down to money/family: Loss of VA benefits (home loan, college, medical) because DNA MAY have identified the child as his and he was still on "active" duty (adultery charges/dishonorable discharge), loss of his wife and child (divorce), and 2 child support payments with possible alimony.
Those ALL effected NL too. No low interest home loan, no higher educated husband with the opportunity to make a good living, money going to child support of another child and possibly alimony, divorce, no live in husband or father to their daughter, the SHAME. And it would certainly cause problems with her maintaining and keeping a horse. It would end any benefit companies give for families of honorably discharged vets. If they were making payments on their vehicles........well, the repo guys will be knocking at their door soon. NL can't provide for her and her daughter on her own. If she stays in Alaska, there's a higher cost of living and jobs are scarce.
As it stands, he has a very good chance of loosing his honorable discharge because of statements made to LE.

http://www.z1077fm.com/corwin-murder-suspect-arraigned-his-lawyer-speaks-out/

CORWIN MURDER SUSPECT ARRAIGNED, HIS LAWYER SPEAKS OUT
By Z107.7 News, on August 27th, 2014

Snipped

Managing editor Tami Roleff was in the courtroom at the arraignment, and talked with Lee’s attorney afterward…
Christopher Lee’s arrest for murdering Erin Corwin was a surprise to both himself and his lawyer, Lee’s attorney said after Tuesday’s arraignment in which Lee pleaded “not guilty.” “Based on the more recent silence from the Sheriff’s Department, we weren't sure where this was going. I mean, we knew he was a suspect. The DA’s office and Sheriff’s Department made that very clear. But we did not anticipate the arrest.” David Kaloyanides anticipates that the discovery period and evaluation of the evidence will take a long time. He’s still waiting to receive and evaluate the evidence against Lee. “I’m not sure what evidence would support the claim that Mr. Lee’s done anything other than him knowing the victim.” Kaloyanides had some thoughts about Lee’s original arrest in July for possession of a potato gun. “I’ll put it this way. I don’t know of anyone who’s ever been and actually been arrested and held on a charge of possessing a potato gun.” Christopher Lee is being held without bail and his next appearance in court will be a preliminary hearing September 16.

Amazing, "they" knew he was a suspect in the disappearance of EC, but are surprised CL was arrested when she was found murdered!!! Well golly gee might be because LE had enough evidence to arrest him for the murder of EC. How long's this Attorney been practicing?

Mr. Kaloyanides you might want to have a come to Jesus meeting with your client, me thinks he might be lying to you, like he did to LE when first questioned.

i just wonder how CL found this remote mine. How long was he stationed on this base? I have a feeling someone helped him with this murder. Is NL a local resident who would have knowledge of abandoned mines? I thought maybe CL and NL attacked and beat her prior to shooting her.

CL had a Jeep and weapons.........perfect stuff for going out in the "boonies" to explore, hunt, target shoot, and with his interest in horses, being out away from "civilization" seems to be his mind set. Doesn't hit me as a "city boy" who rather spend his time at the bars or local parties.

It shouldn't be that difficult to establish that when he murdered her, the fetus also died. Many laws support this.

A miscarriage due to stress would be impossible to prove.

Good question here, too. I have a friend who found out her husband (now ex) was cheating on her very early in her pregnancy. She miscarried and in her mind blamed him and the stress of the whole situation for her miscarriage. Makes me wonder, could she have technically filed legal charges against him too?

So many women miscarry early on in pregnancy. How do you prove what (or who, potentially) caused it?

I mean in this case IF Erin was pregnant and CL's found guilty, it's pretty clear he caused the death of the fetus along with Erin, but I wonder if it gets difficult for them to press charges if she was very early in her pregnancy.

I wondered that as well, but if you google that specific language (just the last part of the sentence) the ONLY hits you get are to the Corwin letter.

Careful where you take that line of inquiry. It could be a modified boilerplate form letter.

This is a strange comparison, but may be helpful:
If a doctor kills an adult person intentionally who doesn't want to die, it is murder. If a doctor helps end the life of someone who does want to die, it is (in places where legal) considered "physician assisted suicide" or "voluntary euthanasia."

I know the abortion debate is a little different, but this helps outline conceptual differences re: choice.

Ok I really don't want to get into a whole pro-choice/pro-life abortion debate, and I realize it may not be possible to discuss this without going 'there' - in which case I'll just drop it - but how do you charge one person for murder of a (for example) 6 week old fetus and yet not charge another (a doctor performing an abortion) for the same thing? When the baby's at 7 or 8 months and could live outside the womb, has a nursery, maybe even a name, etc. I understand it but when it's only a few weeks, barely confirmed (if at all, depends on which rumors you believe), and not even everyone knows she's pregnant yet? Can it be considered murder solely because she wanted the baby?

I think IM gave the date as to CL having no alibi on 9-29 was a misquote. I'm pretty sure she meant the 28th (sat)
Because later she said The Lee's WERE at the ranch together on Sunday.

I know I saw her original interview about if ONLY the 2 friends that were supposed to go with him but didn't, he would have an alibi. She even named the two friends. But I can't find it anywhere. I wonder if LE has had them taken down for evidence :confused: She even said something to the effect that can you imagine how poor Nichole felt when she saw LE at the ranch, when her and Chris drove up!

Can anyone else find her full interviews??? TIA ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member