GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not at all directed to you personally, but towards a lot of comments I have seen on here--AND, I have been guilty of this myself! We all have ideas of whether NL helped or did not help with the murder, or helped to cover up things. The problem I have is that we know very little about her, and for us to say things about how she feels about the murder is not logical. I don't even know how CL feels about it, and he is the one who we know has been arrested!

The only things we know about NL are these:
1. She had a baby at 15 or 16 and married the father soon after
2. She may or may not have said the things about CL to IM as we heard from IM (who is not reliable at this point)
3. On her Pinterest account she has a ton of posts that we CAN use to assess her character at least a little bit, and I'm not sure I see someone who would be proud of a husband for murder. The most I can say is that she was sad and angry about the affair (based on the posts), but who wouldn't be?

RSC, there are two reasons why I think that Nicole may have been involved in the murder (directly or indirectly) and possibly the cover up as well:

1. The things she said to IM...
2. LE saying more arrests are possible.

I don't really take her Pinterest into consideration because, as you say, any normal person would be angry and even outraged in that situation.

But I also feel that Chris for various reasons (unwanted pregnancy, fear of wife) could have murdered Erin with absolutely no help from Nicole. The only thing I cannot agree to is that Nicole believes in Chris' innocence. She has chosen to support him in spite of knowing that he is the one that murdered Erin.

I'm trying to understand this... If my husband murders someone, and he confesses to me that he's murdered someone, I can not testify against him!? Is this correct?

Fear not if he confesses, simply get him to show you the evidence of murder. If you so choose you can then take the stand to tell the world what
you SAW. :jail:

What if that witness is NL? Theoretically, that statement could never be entered into evidence if she refused to take the stand.
JMO

It can't be NL. She cannot talk about what he said to her, at all, unless he says she can. Stand or no stand.

I still doubt that child support was an issue. I think Erin always had a back-up plan to stay with JC and raise the baby as his if things didn't work out with CL. There would have been no other reason for her to tell JC about the pregnancy so early on. If she really thought she was going to be with CL, why tell her husband she's pregnant? Why not just get ready to say, things aren't working out, I want a divorce?

Another discrepancy in all this: Why did Erin tell her friend in Tennessee that CL was afraid of his wife finding out about the affair? Did she believe NL didn't already know? I've heard enough to believe that NL definitely did know. We don't really consider that Erin could have lied to her friend for some reason -- either living in a fairy tale (he wants to be with me but he's afraid of his big, bad wife) or for some other reason, perhaps so she doesn't look like an idiot or loser who just isn't "chosen" by CL for his future. Maybe she doesn't want to admit to her friend that she fell for a guy who now isn't that into her. She might have been worried her friend would say, "I told you not to get involved, that he would only leave you!" We can't underestimate the power of what a young woman's friends think of her, and the idea that her close friend might think she was a moron to get pregnant by a cad, rather than a knight in shining armor, might have caused her to reflect the relationship less than honestly. Or, just as likely, she was living in a bit of a fantasy world. Any of these could have caused her to say that they were planning to "celebrate" the pregnancy that day.

I believe there are just some things about this we don't know, yet. Either CL and NL were swingers and NL didn't care what he was doing until EC tried to take away CL for good; or CL was incredibly possessive of EC and plotted to kill her because he realized she had been intimate again with her husband, then turn around and tell his wife that he did it for her. Or there are other factors we don't know about.

I do not think we know for sure how JC learned that Erin was pregnant?

What if that witness is NL? Theoretically, that statement could never be entered into evidence if she refused to take the stand.
JMO

Since NL is named in all other areas of the document, I think the "witness" must be someone else. Plus, I can't imagine why he would seriously think his wife, a stay at home mother, would know anything about the best way to dispose of a body. My first thought was that surely even the dumbest criminal would pose a question like that to someone they thought had at least some small chance of having the information they needed. Then I ran smack into the wall of who on earth would know that answer to that question? I can't begin to imagine. I just don't want to know that person. :hills:

Since NL is named in all other areas of the document, I think the "witness" must be someone else. Plus, I can't imagine why he would seriously think his wife, a stay at home mother, would know anything about the best way to dispose of a body. My first thought was that surely even the dumbest criminal would pose a question like that to someone they thought had at least some small chance of having the information they needed. Then I ran smack into the wall of who on earth would know that answer to that question? I can't begin to imagine. I just don't want to know that person. :hills:

I feel exactly the same way MM! This particular "witness" also told LE that CL said he was going to look for tires that day! A tire was found with Erin :frown: And remember, Chris's alibi to LE was that he was hunting in JTNP on that Saturday.

Jmo I do not really think the military figured much into CL's motive, just the idea of his family and home life being wrecked, all due to Erin (in his mind). Whether baby was his or not, whether she was even pregnant or not, Imo, he believed she was and that she was behaving in a way that threatened his plans for the future. He could never be sure she was not not going to pop up some years down the line, i.e if she and JC split up, and ask for support. And he may have sworn to his wife that he had never been with Erin after Jan. or Feb, whenever she initially discovered the affair. So he would have that to deal with as well.

I really think he never expected Erin to be found and that at least some people would believe she had run off, or killed herself in despair. And truly, LE may not have gone ahead with murder charges if she hadn't been found. So he probably thought he had a good chance of never being charged. Maybe NL suspected something as soon as she heard about Erin being missing, which was likely before official word was out to the public, and he told her "no body, no crime" so she repeated it. She may have heard rumors as early as late Sat. that Erin could not be found.

All Jmo obviously

I agree with everything you've said clu. Another thing that sticks in my head is CL telling LE that he only kissed Erin. This might be the same story he gave NL and obviously Erin being pregnant would blow that out of the water. Duh! He's so dumb!

Vince Gilligan

Why was Erin telling people at the ranch that she was pregnant IF she thought it was Chris'? Wouldn't she be worried that he'd be worried Nichole would think it was his? An uninvolved ranch-goer ( was reported in MSM to have) said she was so happy to be prego again. She couldn't really be THAT stupid, could she? She must have thought it was JC's.

ADDING @ 11:40 EST: since she isn't stupid, then we must assume she thought it was JC's baby.

ITA! And I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to say she slipped and he was trying to save her with the tires and rebar, as ridiculous as that sounds. It's hard to speculate though, when we have so little to go on as to what occurred at the mine.

If it had been something as innocent as her "falling" in to the mine, why didn't he summon help immediately? There are so many other angles he could have used that would have kept him out of prison or off of death row. Thank goodness he was too stupid to think like WS.

If it had been something as innocent as her "falling" in to the mine, why didn't he summon help immediately? There are so many other angles he could have used that would have kept him out of prison or off of death row. Thank goodness he was too stupid to think like WS.

Well he really had no business being with her out there...his wife would then "know" he had lied to her, and LE would have found out the truth anyway, thanks to the texts. He thought he would be clear of her altogether and could not be placed with her, I guess.

Another thing to think about is the possibility that the question never happened. Not saying the police lied, however, the "witness" might be trying to insert themselves in to a high profile case by stating CL asked him the question.

RSC, there are two reasons why I think that Nicole may have been involved in the murder (directly or indirectly) and possibly the cover up as well:

1. The things she said to IM...
2. LE saying more arrests are possible.

I don't really take her Pinterest into consideration because, as you say, any normal person would be angry and even outraged in that situation.

But I also feel that Chris for various reasons (unwanted pregnancy, fear of wife) could have murdered Erin with absolutely no help from Nicole. The only thing I cannot agree to is that Nicole believes in Chris' innocence. She has chosen to support him in spite of knowing that he is the one that murdered Erin.

BBM. I'm not caught-up yet today, so maybe someone else has brought this out. But is it *possible* CL is just so charming (Ha!) that he's hoodwinked NL into thinking he's been set-up...maybe even by JC? I don't believe that. But just saying...maybe. JMOO

It can't be NL. She cannot talk about what he said to her, at all, unless he says she can. Stand or no stand.

Well, the witness could be NL because she can tell the cops anything outside of court. I asked an attorney about this this morning. He said if NL made a statement to an officer like, "He once asked me where to dump a body," even the officer (under the rules of hearsay) could not take the stand and testify to what NL stated. However, that officer could put the statement in an arrest warrant affidavit. This is all speculation, of course.

On the pregnancy. Maybe JC was at the hospital on June 15 when EC found out was pregnant (yes, I know the hospital is only theoretical in some circles). So, JC and everybody at the horse ranch, including NL, believed it was Jon's baby. Perhaps only EC and CL knew the child was CL's based on EC's timing info.

BBM. I'm not caught-up yet today, so maybe someone else has brought this out. But is it *possible* CL is just so charming (Ha!) that he's hoodwinked NL into thinking he's been set-up...maybe even by JC? I don't believe that. But just saying...maybe. JMOO

I suppose anything is possible. I'll be curious to see what the defense comes up with.

Why was Erin telling people at the ranch that she was pregnant IF she thought it was Chris'? Wouldn't she be worried that he'd be worried Nichole would think it was his? Michele said she was so happy to be prego again. She couldn't really be THAT stupid, could she? She must have thought it was JC's.

Or thought everyone else would assume it was JC's?

Why was Erin telling people at the ranch that she was pregnant IF she thought it was Chris'? Wouldn't she be worried that he'd be worried Nichole would think it was his? Michele said she was so happy to be prego again. She couldn't really be THAT stupid, could she? She must have thought it was JC's.

I find it very disrespectful to refer to the victim, Erin, as "stupid". Naive perhaps but not stupid. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seasonofthewolf