GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been cases in the past where searches were made public, and they happen to be where the body was. The perps went back there and moved the body.

I've seen this scenario mentioned before. If the police have no idea who they're targeting as a perp, this makes sense. If they DO have an idea, this would be exactly what they would need to find the body AND catch the perpetrator. Thanks, though.

Add: And this assumes the person is dead, again.

Thanks. I was asking why fool the media and public at large about things like ping locations, if the first priority is finding the person alive? You are saying they want sole credit for finding her, and maybe they AREN'T trying to find her alive? If they find her in the desert without the person who placed her telling them the location, they are very fortunate at any rate.

IMO, LE knew Erin wasn't alive within days. I'm not saying they want "sole" credit for finding Erin, I have no idea exactly what their motivations are.

LE find deceased victims all the time with no help from the perp. I have an idea after reality sets in, and divorce & military discipline are no longer the primary concern, this guy is going to confess. Hope so anyway.

All this assuming the radio station story is truthful.

IMO, LE knew Erin wasn't alive within days. I'm not saying they want "sole" credit for finding Erin, I have no idea exactly what their motivations are.

LE find deceased victims all the time with no help from the perp. I have an idea after reality sets in, and divorce & military discipline are no longer the primary concern, this guy is going to confess. Hope so anyway.

All this assuming the radio station story is truthful.

I understand. I AM trying to find out exactly what their motivations are, lol.

I'm wondering if Erin met him at the area her car was found, then got in his vehicle and left? Didn't LE ask the water guy to come back in his truck so they could compare tracks?

Maybe LE has already matched tracks at the car discovery site, to the POI's POV? Now they are out looking at areas his phone pinged in, or he is known to frequent, looking for those same tracks.

Whole lotta maybe's ...

Unfortunately the witness that found the car said a low hovering helicopter kicked up dust and somewhat ruined what could have been tracks and footprints. :(

Before I catch up, on the subject of whether or not Jon is a lance corporal or corporal, I doubt he'd lie about his rank on FB.
As a poster pointed out, in the picture of Erin and Jon going to the Marine Corps Ball (most likely), he's wearing the rank of lance corporal.
If he was promoted November 7, and the ball took place after that, I'm surprised he didn't change the patch on his dress blues.
I can't explain why he wouldn't have and I was unsuccessfull when trying to (quickly) find the date of last year's ball. They're always held in November afaik. But I can't imagine he'd lie on FB about his rank because another Marine would call him out on that for sure.

Jon's Aunts (JR) post made 12 minutes ago seems to validate the story is true. I would think she would be corrected by a family member, if not.

I would think it would be difficult to keep the locals in the dark about where LE is looking, because just driving down the highway you would likely see unusual activity in the distance since there's nothing to block your view like housing tracts and trees. And as far as I know they haven't closed JT, so I would think it would be obvious where LE is looking because the areas would be closed for quite a distance around. Also, there would be LE cars parked and coming/going so should be apparent to anyone in the area. Just my opinion. Can anyone in the area verify if there is activity outside the park?

Interestingly, I (jokingly) commented out of the blue to my husband that I want to go JT this afternoon. He said "OK," so of course I had to ask, "Doesn't that concern you that I want to go by myself in this heat?" and he said, "No." Of course, he knows I'm very familiar with JT and surrounding areas, would take lots of water, and he'd get check the car first, but it just goes to show it's completely possible Erin's husband wouldn't have thought it was weird either, and it doesn't mean they have a bad relationship. (Even though we've been married for decades, my hubby is more loving and affectionate than anyone I've heard of - everyone who knows us agrees I got the catch of a lifetime - so Erin going to JT alone with an unconcerned husband shouldn't be a reflection on their relationship. Everyone has different ideas about what is normal or dangerous!)

Not necessarily. If he went in Erin's car with her, that explains why it was dumped in the desert within walking distance of Base.

I'm thinking wifey could've found out, a la Heather Elvis. While certainly possible that he did it alone, it would take a cold person - borderline sociopath - to murder the carrier of his baby without the knowledge and possible direction of a scorned woman. JMO.

Unfortunately the witness that found the car said a low hovering helicopter kicked up dust and somewhat ruined what could have been tracks and footprints. :(

For some reason, the comment made about the helicopter seems hinky to me. Why would an official involved in a search be that careless?
If investigators were on the ground and had already blocked an area off nearby the car, why would a helicopter be needed that near to the car (to practically land on top of it?). I mean, the ground LE would search the area around the car and don't need any help from dust. Makes no sense.

I've seen this scenario mentioned before. If the police have no idea who they're targeting as a perp, this makes sense. If they DO have an idea, this would be exactly what they would need to find the body AND catch the perpetrator. Thanks, though.

Add: And this assumes the person is dead, again.

You can't guarantee a perp will react this way. But it's enough of a problem that LE, Tim Miller and Mark Klaas use them as good examples to not disclose search locations. This scenario has happened to each of them. And it's not just bodies being moved. It's evidence at crime scenes being disturbed. It's all about prosecuting the perp in court.

IMO, there would be no way she'd be found alive, where they are looking, after 14 days.

That's a great one, Treelights! One of my daughters has always smiled with her mouth closed, even when she had perfect baby teeth...and even now after we have spent a fortune for braces...so it clearly has nothing to do with the few years she had crooked teeth/braces. Once in a while I would like to get a more candid looking shot, instead of her usual posed look, so I'm going to try this!

Treelights, this post isn't directed at you or anybody for that matter.
It seems the topic of showing no teeth in pictures has taken on a life of its own. I pointed out that Erin never showed her teeth in pictures (not never, because someone found a pic of Erin where she's smiling teeth and all!). Anyway, my point was to point out if she had a reason not to show her teeth, if she wasn't happy with her smile or something, it would be a distraction for her whenever she had her picture taken. Simple as that.
I'm terrible at conjuring up a fake smile myself - I look like I'm half smiling (partial teeth - lol!) in half of the pictures ever taken of me.
I learned this tip while trying to get teenagers to smile, right before you snap the shot, say "sex". Broad smiles equal good pictures.

How did the water guy know it was Erin's car? I didn't see anything that said he simply reported an "abandoned" car, so if he knew it was Erin's missing car...how did he know???

I'm wondering if Erin met him at the area her car was found, then got in his vehicle and left? Didn't LE ask the water guy to come back in his truck so they could compare tracks?

Maybe LE has already matched tracks at the car discovery site, to the POI's POV? Now they are out looking at areas his phone pinged in, or he is known to frequent, looking for those same tracks.

Whole lotta maybe's ...

How did the water guy know it was Erin's car? I didn't see anything that said he simply reported an "abandoned" car, so if he knew it was Erin's missing car...how did he know???

The article mentioned that there was news coverage about the car so therefore they believe because of knowing that info, the water guy called it in.

ETA:
"According to a source who has property nearby where Erin Corwin’s vehicle, a 2013 Toyota Corolla was found stated that a worker from the Twentynine Palms Water District reported the vehicle around approximately 9:30-9:40 A.M. on June 30 and likely saw on the morning news that officials were looking for that specific vehicle. At approximately 10 A.M. the source, who was headed north to drive to his property at the time came to a stop at Valley Vista Rd. and Ranch Rd. upon encountering a police SUV blocking the road."
Read more at http://americanlivewire.com/2014-07-09-police-locate-erin-corwins-missing-vehicle/

For some reason, the comment made about the helicopter seems hinky to me. Why would an official involved in a search be that careless?
If investigators were on the ground and had already blocked an area off nearby the car, why would a helicopter be needed that near to the car (to practically land on top of it?). I mean, the ground LE would search the area around the car and don't need any help from dust. Makes no sense.

I think a public works employee was the person who found the vehicle (water utilities?). He just made an observation, so I believe the helicopter flew low and blew sand all over the place. His perception was that if footprints were near the car, they were probably gone after the helicopter's visit. Whether all of the footprints were destroyed isn't something the police department would admit anyhow.

I'm thinking wifey could've found out, a la Heather Elvis. While certainly possible that he did it alone, it would take a cold person - borderline sociopath - to murder the carrier of his baby without the knowledge and possible direction of a scorned woman. JMO.

Gotta disagree here...The thought of losing his career, wife, kids (if he has any) over an affair could be motive and fuel enough to do something terrible. IMO

If FB shows the lower rank, maybe he didn't update it yet? Many people don't update things like employer on FB I've noticed.

As for the ball, I remember my son purchasing some new pins/patches before a ball once because his were looking old. Obviously he purchased the SAME stuff! lol But I remember him stressing how important it was for everything to be perfect, so I'm thinking the rank shown in the ball pic was his correct rank at the time.

Before I catch up, on the subject of whether or not Jon is a lance corporal or corporal, I doubt he'd lie about his rank on FB.
As a poster pointed out, in the picture of Erin and Jon going to the Marine Corps Ball (most likely), he's wearing the rank of lance corporal.
If he was promoted November 7, and the ball took place after that, I'm surprised he didn't change the patch on his dress blues.
I can't explain why he wouldn't have and I was unsuccessfull when trying to (quickly) find the date of last year's ball. They're always held in November afaik. But I can't imagine he'd lie on FB about his rank because another Marine would call him out on that for sure.

I really don't think she met him there and parked her car there. To me that is really just too bizarre. It would have made more sense to meet and park a million other places. Because of where the car was found I feel it was ditched.

My thought is they may have left Base together in her car. So he needed to drive her car to get back on Base. But knew better than to attempt to drive onto Base. Next best thing was to ditch it where he did. AND I'll bet he came across desert under cover of darkness and after the Condor gate closed for the evening. Just my opinion.

I really don't think she met him there and parked her car there. To me that us really just too bizarre. It would have made more sense to meet and park a million other places. Because of sure the car was found I feel it was ditched.

My thought is they may have left Base together in her car. So he needed to drive her car to get back on Base. But knew better than to attempt to drive onto Base. Next best thing was to ditch it where he did. AND I'll bet he came across desert under cover of darkness and after the Condor gate closed for the evening. Just my opinion.

Pretty brazen to be seen leaving the base together in the same car, IMO. Unless you are thinking it was the husband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GFinder