GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, it's desolate and creepy outside of town. Abandoned houses. An abandoned highway (Route 66). Abandoned hotels. Driving into 29 Palms from Route 66/I-40 it can feel like you're the only person on earth and you can see a long long way. Let me see if I can dig up some photos of the abandoned "settlement" between Route 66 and 29 Palms, it looked as if the people just vaporized. I hope they've searched that area. Lots of places to hide or be hidden up there.

I have a few from 08 when we traveled to Joshua Tree. There are miles and miles of nothing, cept for some run down buildings.

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/MeeMaw46/media/Our Trip/20080731005.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1276

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/MeeMaw46/media/Our Trip/20080731006.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1277

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/MeeMaw46/media/Our Trip/20080731007.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1278

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/MeeMaw46/media/Our Trip/20080731007.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1278

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/MeeMaw46/media/Our Trip/20080731009.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1280

Yes, the potential to become a criminal investigation angle.
Defense lawyers are controlling our legal systems. :gaah:

I am ashamed, I must admit, that it's taken me this long but I've only just now done the legwork on where the car was in relation to her departure location and her intended destination and WOW is it ever an eye opener.

The car was found at the intersection of Valle Vista Rd and Ranch Rd, which corresponds to 75099 Valle Vista Road. The google map search: " 75099 Valle Vista Road, Twentynine Palms, CA, United States " will take you straight there.

It is by all accounts the middle of NOWHERE.

This location is Appx. :

-4.5 miles North East of the main cross streets of 29 palms
-1.5 miles North of the closest suburb of 29 palms proper

The main cross streets (intersection) of 29 palms are themselves Appx. 20 miles North West of Joshua Tree National Park

Doing the math we see that her car was parked at least 2 miles in the opposite direction of travel from her home to her supposed intended destination, which put it in excess of 23 miles from same supposed intended destination.

It is clear that searching for her in Joshua Tree National Park is a fools errand at worst, at best it's a clever but also pathetic ruse to thwart a suspects suspicion.

(an article I just read pointed out that the military base might be the subdivision to the north west so it might not be the opposite direction after all, however since she would have passed Utah Trail by a kilometer or so to get to ranch rd and that is the only road into Joshua Tree National Park from the north, it still seems unlikely she was headed in that direction.)

Actually it was parked in the direction as she was traveling home. Also I don't believe that SAR/LE would pour a ton of resources into scouring the park, which covers hundreds of square miles, to make a Perp believe they weren't on to them.

joshua3.jpg

Hoping this works. Some pics from between 29Palms and Route 66 some from inside abandoned buildings looking out. The strictly scenario picture is taken from the overlook in JT that you can see the San Andreas Fault from

OT, kind of, I read a true crime book called "29 Palms" some years ago and this town for sure had a sleazy side, at least in the nineties. Jmo

It had a very sleazy side in the nineties. I was very pregnant in 1991, however, when the troops were returning from the war I waddled by belly out there to welcome them home and hand out Coke. Very creepy area. We also had friends we would go visit and I always made my husband get us out of there before dark. There was just something about that place that gave me the heeby jeebies.

nikb, the "affairs are not a big deal" comment was referencing something I later edited out. I'll say it and hope it doesn't get me flamed or moderated. I suggested that the Marine she may have had an affair with may not have been capable of being a father. In that case, it might not be a big deal, if you know what I mean. (Some men look the other way if their wives seek comfort in friends who for extremely obvious reasons cannot be fathers. *wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I mean?*)

Trying to understand your train of thought. Affairs are dangerous relationships, mix in military consequences of possible life long shame of dishonorable discharge for having affair with another soldier's wife IMO makes a mean cocktail. Jmo

ciao

Actually it was parked in the direction as she was traveling home. Also I don't believe that SAR/LE would pour a ton of resources into scouring the park, which covers hundreds of square miles, to make a Perp believe they weren't on to them.

Maybe LE would say that but not really be searching there in order to buy time? I don't know where they're searching but it seems strange they'd be searching JT this long without considering other angles.

Trying to understand your train of thought. Affairs are dangerous relationships, mix in military consequences of possible life long shame of dishonorable discharge for having affair with another soldier's wife IMO makes a mean cocktail. Jmo

ciao

Yeah, I need to try and take that comment out. I was trying to hint about something without causing alarm but clearly didn't hint enough and I don't want to start rumors by musing out loud. I never should have posted that.

ETA: Removed this. It was a train of thought that got poorly edited and parts that should have been removed but weren't. This has been fixed.

HEY! There is no rule against being sappy. Members want to be sappy, they can be sappy.

Please don't tell others how to post. If you have a problem, alert the post and move past it. The mods will check it out.

And SAPPY is JUST FINE.

Salem

Good thought! Shouldn't the military be able to do that? (satellite images I mean)

In theory, yes. I don't think they will though depending on the classification of the satellite. They could use drones though since the area is so open. Would make it a lot easier to search.

I've always liked abandoned places. I look online at abandoned theme park pics, and old sanitariums, cemeteries etc. The way this sounds is creepier than I may like. Now with this going on with Erin, I may rethink my curiosity. I am not morbid~~

Me too!

I'm so confused about the location of Erin's car. Days ago, someone posted a map with the location marked as to where Erin's car was found parked (but not facing one way or the other along the road).
JT is located south of the base. The car was found where? (must be south, correct?)

Info that was posted earlier today is that the car was found south of the base (which is probably true unless it was north of the base which isn't on a path to any civilization).

According to the first release of information, the car was found inbetween the base and JT, but closer to the base. Therefore, the car would have been found south of the base, north of both the town of 29 Palms and JT.

It is pretty desolate out there. Not a place to be lost.

My sister insisted we come in that way (66) to her it's the most beautiful place on earth, She loves the desert moving to JT from Whittier some yrs ago. Not a place for me, I'm a MD mountains person.

You are right, it was aimed west when it was found, however it was not on the road when it was found, so we don't actually know which direction it was heading when it was moving, no matter who was driving it.

You are also correct, I did make an assumption that if she left the car there, it was when she was on the way to her destination, I shouldn't have made that assumption. you're right. She could have been on the way home. and someone caught her while she walked the two miles back home.

It doesn't really matter though because the location where the car was found is not on the way to Joshua Tree National Park, it would therefore follow that it isn't on the way back from same. And if she came back from Joshua Tree, searching for her there would make even less sense.

My personal feeling is that she didn't park the car at that location at all, someone else did. And I think that LE understands by now, as I do, that searching JT is a pointless endeavor. Do you really think that a pregnant woman would leave her car behind and walk 23 miles (46 miles round trip) to a national park in the middle of a desert during the summer in southern california?? Searching the park for her is a ludicrous proposition.

I am ashamed, I must admit, that it's taken me this long but I've only just now done the legwork on where the car was in relation to her departure location and her intended destination and WOW is it ever an eye opener.

The car was found at the intersection of Valle Vista Rd and Ranch Rd, which corresponds to 75099 Valle Vista Road. The google map search: " 75099 Valle Vista Road, Twentynine Palms, CA, United States " will take you straight there.

It is by all accounts the middle of NOWHERE.

This location is Appx. :

-4.5 miles North East of the main cross streets of 29 palms
-1.5 miles North of the closest suburb of 29 palms proper

The main cross streets (intersection) of 29 palms are themselves Appx. 20 miles North West of Joshua Tree National Park

Doing the math we see that her car was parked at least 2 miles in the opposite direction of travel from her home to her supposed intended destination, which put it in excess of 23 miles from same supposed intended destination.

It is clear that searching for her in Joshua Tree National Park is a fools errand at worst, at best it's a clever but also pathetic ruse to thwart a suspects suspicion.

(an article I just read pointed out that the military base might be the subdivision to the north west so it might not be the opposite direction after all, however since she would have passed Utah Trail by a kilometer or so to get to ranch rd and that is the only road into Joshua Tree National Park from the north, it still seems unlikely she was headed in that direction.)

Erin's car was ditched approximately 2 miles by paved road to the Condor Gate (1.5 miles to Condor and then 1/2 miles to the gate), which is very near her housing area. If you scroll out on the map you and follow the roads, you see that Valle Vista intersects Condor Road. To the right you will then see a housing area to the left of the road. At the start of that housing area is the Condor Gate. If you follow the road onto base you will then see another housing area over to the right. That is the housing area that it is presumed that Erin lives based on the term "apartments" and Jon's rank. Traveling through the desert, obviously the trek would be LESS THAN 2 MILES. The car was left very close to Base and IMO the spot was chosen to enable the Perp to have access to Base without having to go through the gate.

So what do you all think, was the SBSO press release a result of the story today?

I doubt that the timing was a coincidence. Would not surprise me at all if the SBSO knew well in advance about the release of the Z107.7 story. You have the family of Jon Corwin who are sick of hearing people cast suspicion on him and labeling him a murderous spouse. If SBSO was sitting on this info and the Corwin family knew it, it was going to blow up in LE's face sooner rather than later. Could be a case of an intentional "leak" to get pressure off LE. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FridayCrimeClub