GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you all have a link about CL being arrested? This was in the media? If so we need a link.

Thank you!

Ima

The only one I know of is publicly available on VineLink. As I am new here, are we allowed to add the link for this?

BBM
In response to your question about the hair- I think in boot camp they shave it short, but after that they have a little lead way. It used to be 3' but it had to be shaved on the sides. Basically, if I remember correctly- your commander was THE LAW. If he/she said it needed to be cut, you cut it. So I guess it would depend on your commander. Most military men get it shaved short when they are deployed. Less mess, no fuss. When my husband used to be home on leave- he let it grow out. When he went back- he shaved it. His commander was strict about the hair. Most of his friends also kept it shaved short. LOL

The Marines call their haircut style "high and tight". Army soldiers often copy them!

Did we ever see/hear "reddish" in any interviews or articles? I thought it was interpreted that way at one point and later we figured out it was just "light" hair. I think that was when the thread was going about 3 pages per minute though so I may have missed further clarification.

Mrs. Beasley (doll) has red hair. Methinks people got confused with red car/red hair/Mrs. Beasley!
http://www.amazon.com/Collectible-Beasley-Talking-Family-Affair/dp/B002SVJANC

The young ones are thinking, what the hey? lol!

The only one I know of is publicly available on VineLink. As I am new here, are we allowed to add the link for this?

Thank you CrackThatCase! No the link isn't allowed.

Guys, we can not sleuth CL or discuss him as suspect. LE has not named any POI's or Suspects at this time.

Ivy Merck's ended like that.

Ivy left signs she had chosen to leave. Boarding her dog, etc.
It just was not known if she was suicidal or wanted time away, Imo. Turned out to be the latter, fortunately.

You are talking about ivy Merck. She is doing okay. Took her a little time to get on track but she is working it out one day at a time! I hope Erin's case has a similar resolution!

I don't think there's really any question that EC was having an affair at this point. Z107.7 broke the news with an article that said she told a source the baby wasn't her husband's. The CBS article about CL fills in the picture of the "mister".

Wait, I respectfully beg to differ. There's been no official word to confirm Erin was having an affair. The news article was written without sources (not even an author's name attached).
Please provide a link if I'm wrong.

The guy, CL, fulfilled his six year contract. This IRR arrangement is rather new (since Sept. '11, I believe).

My husband, even after he retired, was aware he could be called up again at any time. Now, he's too old (I hope!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_Reserve

This link explains the Reserves (what most people think when they hear 'Reserves') where soldiers, who are in "The Reserves", train one weekend every month and for two weeks every year. These individuals receive pay for being trained and must be ready to be called up when needed.

The IRR group of soldiers has fulfilled their enlisted obligations but may be called up again and agree they are willing and able. It's as if they've formalized a system for prior enlisted that retired soldiers, those who have served a minimum of 20 years, have always known is a possibility. It sounds like the IRR gives benefits that others have spent 20 years of service for the same privileges. I'll have to think about it more but it kind of ticks me off (yet one has to go with the changes I guess). That is, if the post above is correct and applies to IRR soldiers. (I know the benefits for "The Reserves" have been increased since 9-11, and most of them deserve them.)

But, I heard so much moaning and groaning in the beginning when some reserves were called up that I wondered what the heck they had been thinking - like they were going to train, get paid but never have to put the training to good use?
Now, if one signs up for the Reserves, they should understand what might be coming to them.

The IRR is not a new program. It has been established for a long time. The "8 Year Rule" of government service (regardless of enlistment time) was started in the 1980s. Service members in the IRR do not receive the same benefits as service members who have served their 20 years and have retired. Even regular, drilling reservists do not. If a traditional reservist serves for 20 years, they are eligible for retirement benefits once they reach the age of 60.

And the term "Reserves" is incorrect. For all branches of service. It's called the "reserve" or one who serves in the reserve is called a "reservist" or "reserve member".

There has been continuing discussion about libel and slander that doesn't appreciate what they are. Both libel (written) and slander (spoken) involve someone knowingly making false statements that harm a person -- usually financial harm must be demonstrated, but in egregious cases, pain and suffering might be considered too. The point is that the person behind the statements knows they are not telling the truth. If a reporter/editor publishes information that isn't true, but does so in good faith, believing it to be true, he or she isn't subject to laws against libel. Speculation, insults, ignorant comments, jokes, and honest mistakes are all protected under the Constitution.

I had to ask my Air Force hubby to clarify this for me. Ok, even though he enlisted for 6 years (some do 2, 4, 6, etc), if he didn't reenlist, then he still would owe 2 years (in the IRR) on top of his enlistment. Everyone that joins owes the government 8 years regardless of enlistment time.

This link states enlisted contracts must be for three, four or five years active duty, nowhere does it say "six" (said to be CL's contract*) and nowhere does it specify that a total of eight years must be promised in total. I'm not arguing but don't know and haven't heard the eight year obligation before. I'm sure there are conditions unique to every Marine - like if they gave you this, you have to do that. Or if you've received specialized training you owe this amount of time. I just don't see the eight year commitment, for every Marine, stated anywhere.

http://www.marines.com/eligibility/service-options/enlisted?nav=LP1
It says contact a recruiter for more information but one would think they'd give a heads up about the eight year commitment when they say there are three year active duty slots available.

*For all I know, the rules have changed since CL enlisted in 2008 (especially since the Iraq drawdown that began mid 2009).

There has been continuing discussion about libel and slander that doesn't appreciate what they are. Both libel (written) and slander (spoken) involve someone knowingly making false statements that harm a person -- usually financial harm must be demonstrated, but in egregious cases, pain and suffering might be considered too. The point is that the person behind the statements knows they are not telling the truth. If a reporter/editor publishes information that isn't true, but does so in good faith, believing it to be true, he or she isn't subject to laws against libel. Speculation, insults, ignorant comments, jokes, and honest mistakes are all protected under the Constitution.
Thank you!!!:clap::clap::clap: We have less to worry about in this case than in the Cooper Harris case, where the mother has hired Lin Wood. But Tricia has taken him on before and she, her lawyers, and mods will protect us and let us know what we can and can't post!

If my name and likeness was being plastered all over the internet for a suspected crime I had nothing to do with, I'd be screaming it from the mountaintops to anyone who'd listen.

I'd be pretty upset about the warrants on my car and house, too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The thing is, LE can't just get search warrants for no reason. Often, we have seen ten days or two weeks go by before LE even searches the homes of missing kids. And here we had warrants signed (at night, I believe) within three days, for the home and vehicles of a neighbor. There has to be very good reasons behind getting those warrants. I do not even think an affair would be enough, on its own. An affair and Erin being seen there, maybe. Or an affair and something else. We don't always see the homes of possible boyfriends or girlfriends being searched so early on.

In Heather's case, LE had the rumors of the affair, plus evidence showing he and Heather had been communicating throughout the last night of her life, and maybe even some video, so they were able to search the house, take cars, etc.

So even if the affair is treated as a rumor, there is something to it, Imo. Some valid reason for LE to hone in on this man within days of Erin's disappearance. Jmo

Correct me if I'm wrong but I could swear I read where LEO said this is not a criminal investigation...therefore why is this ongoing? They don't search to this extent for every single person that goes missing. I'm a little confused now which isn't hard to do with this particular case. http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/local/2014/07/18/erin-corwin-search-twentynine-palms/12851447/
I mean people leave on their own everyday. Imagine if LEO searched for every single person that went missing in this manner. I guess I'm going by "Not a criminal investigation" so if it's not then why the warrants and why just everything that is going on?

This link states enlisted contracts must be for three, four or five years active duty, nowhere does it say "six" (said to be CL's contract*) and nowhere does it specify that a total of eight years must be promised in total. I'm not arguing but don't know and haven't heard the eight year obligation before. I'm sure there are conditions unique to every Marine - like if they gave you this, you have to do that. Or if you've received specialized training you owe this amount of time. I just don't see the eight year commitment, for every Marine, stated anywhere.

It says contact a recruiter for more information but one would think they'd give a heads up about the eight year commitment when they say there are three year active duty slots available.

*For all I know, the rules have changed since CL enlisted in 2008 (especially since the Iraq drawdown that began mid 2009).

On the Enlistment/Reenlistment Document Armed Forces of the United States - it states the following:

10. MILITARY SERVICE OBLIGATION, SERVICE ON ACTIVE DUTY AND STOP-LOSS FOR ALL MEMBERS OF THE ACTIVE AND RESERVE COMPONENTS, INCLUDING THE NATIONAL GUARD.
a. FOR ALL ENLISTEES:
If this is my initial enlistment, I must serve a total of eight (8) years, unless I am sooner discharged or otherwise extended by the appropriate authority. This eight year service requirement is called the Military Service Obligation. Any part of that service not served on active duty must be served in the Reserve Component of the service in which I have enlisted.

Here is a link to the pdf document.

http://tinyurl.com/nb4xww4

Correct me if I'm wrong but I could swear I read where LEO said this is not a criminal investigation...therefore why is this ongoing? They don't search to this extent for every single person that goes missing. I'm a little confused now which isn't hard to do with this particular case. http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/local/2014/07/18/erin-corwin-search-twentynine-palms/12851447/
I mean people leave on their own everyday. Imagine if LEO searched for every single person that went missing in this manner. I guess I'm going by "Not a criminal investigation" so if it's not then why the warrants and why just everything that is going on?
I think she got in the car volitionally, but then the red car guy harmed her in some way.

Department of Defense directive stating 8 year service commitment for ALL who enlist or who are appointed.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/130425p.pdf

What you read is correct. Marines can enlist for 3, 4 or 5 years. BUT in order to receive certain bonuses, educational benefits and programs, choice of assignment, etc...one would need to enlist for 6. This link explains some of those programs.

http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step03_enlisted_usmc,,00.html

Not trying to argue either. My hubby has been in recruiting for almost 20 years...he's recruited for active duty Air Force and the Air Force Reserve. While recruiting in the reserve, he recruited prior service members from all branches. He knows the "regs" backwards and forwards. I posted links for verification purposes though.

The IRR is not a new program. It has been established for a long time. The "8 Year Rule" of government service (regardless of enlistment time) was started in the 1980s. Service members in the IRR do not receive the same benefits as service members who have served their 20 years and have retired. Even regular, drilling reservists do not. If a traditional reservist serves for 20 years, they are eligible for retirement benefits once they reach the age of 60.

And the term "Reserves" is incorrect. For all branches of service. It's called the "reserve" or one who serves in the reserve is called a "reservist" or "reserve member".

You are correct about my sloppy use of the title "The Reserves" vs. reservist. I've always called the two weeks, one weekend a month peeps reservists when referring to one person - She's a reservist. But then incorrectly, I guess, I'd say - She's in the Reserves. Meaning with the whole group of people who are reservists.

http://www.marforres.marines.mil/Ma...veSupportActivity/IndividualReadyReserve.aspx

In the link above it states, "The majority of Marines in the IRR are former active component Marines who have not completed their Military Service Obligation (MSO), yet have completed their initial contractual period of active duty."

They explain these Marines are usually the grades Lance Corporal to Corporal or young officers. Then,

"The remainder of the IRR consists of Marines who have completed their MSO, yet voluntarily have agreed to remain associated with the Marine Corps, . . ."

I'm confused as to the specifics about CL because the news report stated he had fulfilled his six year contract.
Has his rank been given? Jon is a Corporal after less than three years of service I believe. He joined in 2011 and was promoted in October 2013. So two years, depending on what month he joined.

What am I missing? Can't find eight year rule anywhere. Will you please provide a link that explains your viewpoint? HAVEN'T READ IT YET BUT I SEE YOU POSTED A LINK. Thank you very much. Links are important on WS (or they used to be when you're presenting a fact).

I do not know why they said that, but their actions show otherwise. Search warrants are not usually issued for missing adult cases if not thought to be a criminal case and/or foul play. I always watch what LE does, more than what they say. Jmo

Thank you!!!:clap::clap::clap: We have less to worry about in this case than in the Cooper Harris case, where the mother has hired Lin Wood. But Tricia has taken him on before and she, her lawyers, and mods will protect us and let us know what we can and can't post!

You have mentioned Tricia several times within the context of owner of Websleuths. Just thought I would mention there are two owners. SoSueMe is a co-owner ☺

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop