Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ John Root Fitzpatrick, 55, (fnd dec.), 30 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the minority but I don't believe they are victims of an accident (doesn't explain the smell of decomposition at the trailer home).

Yes, I'd like to know more about that smell.
Surely the police would've done a thorough search of the home inside and out to find the source of that smell.

If it was a body, which had been moved....surely there'd be evidence of bodily fluids?

Maybe the smell was what alerted his friend (neighbor?), and why he became concerned that JRF hadn't returned home?

I do wonder why the friend was so concerned

I’ve wondered too, but the counter-argument I’ve made to myself is that the answer could be as simple as JRF telling DH, “… we’ll be back on (date).” Allowing some extra time for unforeseen circumstances, when they did not return by that date, DH reported JRF missing.

Alternatively (as someone else mentioned), since JF was reported earlier, perhaps LE contacted DH looking for JRF and he then realized he couldn’t get ahold of him.

Tracebility and more camera surveillance proof of his car between 21st of july and 4th of august can lead to location of Fang ... We have a report that someone saw his car on 2nd of August in Morongo basin ...but LE could not find it at that moment ???? If you go for a day hiking in Harper Canyon what kind of shoes will you wear ?????

If I were to hike there, I'd have on my hiking boots. However, I've seen many people desert hiking in just sturdy athletic shoes. I can't recall what JRF had as footgear in the pictures that Fang took.

If JRF's truck was in Morongo Basin on August 2, that's a huge deal. It is in keeping with my view that he may have gone off one time and then come back. One day after the search warrant. Is it possible he was back at the trailer (disposing of evidence) and was spooked by LE arriving on August 1? Did he run out of the trailer in a hurry that day?) It's very odd. Perhaps he had a police scanner.

Of course, perhaps it's a mistaken sighting. I'm still noticing double cab Tacoma's that color. pu The missing persons info was already published, so people were likely looking for such a truck.

What a tangled web for LE to try and work out.

IMG_2159.jpegThe one known full-image, outdoor-attired pic, taken by FJ, of JRF.
Very appropriate for environment despite heat, heavy boots, denim jeans, long-sleeve cotton shirt.
Definitely an old skool outfit, as there has been a shift in recent years away from natural, breathable fabrics (with decomp times in ripe environments a matter of weeks) to lighter, quick-drying synthetics (decomp can measure in centuries).

I’ve wondered too, but the counter-argument I’ve made to myself is that the answer could be as simple as JRF telling DH, “… we’ll be back on (date).” Allowing some extra time for unforeseen circumstances, when they did not return by that date, DH reported JRF missing.

Alternatively (as someone else mentioned), since JF was reported earlier, perhaps LE contacted DH looking for JRF and he then realized he couldn’t get ahold of him.
This is what I think, sometimes the simplest answer is what it is. It makes sense to me that if JRF told him they were going on a hike, a return day/time would be mentioned in the same conversation.

@tarabull oh nice, never thought of doing that! Lmk if she responds or changes her article!

I am in the minority but I don't believe they are victims of an accident (doesn't explain the smell of decomposition at the trailer home).

Thanks to ANIW for taking care of the date fix in the thread title!

I agree with this, I really don’t think it’s that weird that his friend got concerned. Even if JRF hadn’t mentioned a specific return date, it’s possible he said something along the lines of “we’ll see you next week” or “we’re planning to be back by x at the latest”

I mean if you have a ♡ interest in town, what is likelihood of you telling your bruh your plans? It seems odd enough that there was a plan to have DH stay with the 2 of them during HER visit. Especially in the first few weeks of them ever meeting in person... someone mentioned a "wonky meter" on here and mine is working overtime.

I mean if you have a ♡ interest in town, what is likelihood of you telling your bruh your plans? It seems odd enough that there was a plan to have DH stay with the 2 of them during HER visit. Especially in the first few weeks of them ever meeting in person... someone mentioned a "wonky meter" on here and mine is working overtime.

Pure conjecture/speculation/what-ifs/just throwing around ideas:

Maybe they all—including Fang—were supposed to collaborate on something together, and they were going to get together on a certain date, and JRF and Fang didn’t show up.

I keep wondering about that “she hired JRF to show her around Morongo Basin”. Why did the SBCSO say that? Was there any speck of truth at all in the statement?

Besides being a love interest, were they planning to have some sort of business relationship? Like running a homestay in the desert? Show her around to scout locations?

Too far out an idea? :)

Pure conjecture/speculation/what-ifs/just throwing around ideas:

Maybe they all—including Fang—were supposed to collaborate on something together, and they were going to get together on a certain date, and JRF and Fang didn’t show up.

I keep wondering about that “she hired JRF to show her around Morongo Basin”. Why did the SBCSO say that? Was there any speck of truth at all in the statement?

Besides being a love interest, were they planning to have some sort of business relationship? Like running a homestay in the desert? Show her around to scout locations?

Too far out an idea? :)
Since the Chinese family felt ashamed about Fang meeting a person with a criminal history (after they discovered) , they descided not to explicitely talk about "romantic" possible feelings between them... so they declared probably the reason of their adventure as she hired him as a guide. For our information she already talked about the spiritual character of California desert places since last May when she was still in China.

If Fang declares on 21st of july 22.19h that they will go camping in a small village in the desert that evening .....do you think they drove the whole night to Thermal to go camping there ...even if they where already tired ?
She really planned to fly home on 9th of October .... she did NOT intend to stay .... but something or somebody took adventage of her goodness ????

UGH. I accidentally deleted the text. It was long. Essentially, I’m wondering: is there more than circumstantial evidence to suggest that JRF caused harm to JF? I wonder because a lot of speculation has been focused on him and he hasn’t really gotten the same level of respect considering he also went missing under suspicious circumstances and has now been found dead. JMO!!!
A pitty that DH or other friends or family of John are not interested to be VI in this community to enforce eachother...
We hope that this community can just analyse the FACTS given by family and LE to conclude possible scenarios of what might have happened and focussing on finding the location where Fang or her remains can be found ...so finally her friends, family and specially her 2 lovely daughters can continue their lives with an honest answer of what happened to their mom.

I agree, there is no evidence except, now, the 'odor' in the home shows LE has not been ignoring the possibility.

Taken at face value, her backpack being found would support the idea it was some sort of misadventure.

JMO
We are still waiting for official report of finding backpack , contents and proof it was Fangs one.... if LE does not communicate this to our PI then we assume it is fake news or someone else his/her backpack ... because at least we and our PI should be informed about her and her belongings....

One wonders if the phone was traveling without her, given the strange WeChat message followed by radio silence.

B/IBM
Poor Emma... I cannot imagine how she (and you all, Mark) must feel.
It was the ping of JRF his phone on 24th of july nearby Julian .... hers was NOT answered since 22nd and died on 25th of july .... means she could not answer any calls since 22nd.... lets imagine that you were too bussy ... at least you would have had a few hours later the possibility to tax your caller or wechat about your current status...????

2.5 months after her disappearance, it has FINALLY made the news in another major city (not in the LA times yet though?)

Unfortunately

"From there, she took a train to Palm Springs" - we know it was a bus, not train...

And again

"A friend said their last contact with her was via telephone on July 22."- we keep going over this, the last video sent to friends from Fang's phone was sent out around 10pm on July 21, not 22.

And this too

“Fitzpatrick was hired to be Jin’s tour guide of the Morongo Basin area,” Sheriff’s Department spokesperson Gloria Huerta told the outlet."- oh come ON... we know that's not true and they had a budding friendship/relationship.

So, 3 pieces of info that aren't really true being reported by this local SF reporter, but I suppose it's better to get the word out than not. There is a huge Chinese American population here in SF so I expect they'll be discussing it more on subs starting tonight and tomorrow!
All about timedifference .... anxiety of losing face .... she planned the train but indeed because of weathercondition she had to take bus... and indeed she did not hire John ...but volunteerd to come to the USA because he lied to her about the real reason not to be able to visit her in China because it would take more than 8 months to get his Chinese Visa .... real reason was his probation and criminal background .... because China does not grant access to a visa in such case...

All about timedifference .... anxiety of losing face .... she planned the train but indeed because of weathercondition she had to take bus... and indeed she did not hire John ...but volunteerd to come to the USA because he lied to her about the real reason not to be able to visit her in China because it would take more than 8 months to get his Chinese Visa .... real reason was his probation and criminal background .... because China does not grant access to a visa in such case...
now that aspect is interesting. i wonder if perhaps john's friend made some sort of joke to john in front of fang about him being a bad boy or something, and then they got in some sort of argument/altercation after friend left as fang was surprised to discover his criminal history

Thank you, Mark, for being candid and clarifying - perhaps someone in your camp can be a point person and clarify with the local Detective to iron out these things? It might actually really help them put it all together. They likely already know about John's criminal history but him not being able to get a Chinese visa, and Fang visiting instead- that makes a LOT more sense now.

My heart aches for you and your loved ones looking for her & I'm hopeful for answers soon. It might sound like law enforcement isn't sharing much, but that's the way it works. I am confident Investigators are doing their absolute best to get a clear picture to you as they can. I know the wait is horrible though.

it seems the story got off on the wrong foot with lots of versions flying around on other sites and a lot of "friends" speaking on her/your behalf who didn't have the story straight.

Since the Chinese family felt ashamed about Fang meeting a person with a criminal history (after they discovered) , they descided not to explicitely talk about "romantic" possible feelings between them... so they declared probably the reason of their adventure as she hired him as a guide. For our information she already talked about the spiritual character of California desert places since last May when she was still in China.

If Fang declares on 21st of july 22.19h that they will go camping in a small village in the desert that evening .....do you think they drove the whole night to Thermal to go camping there ...even if they where already tired ?
She really planned to fly home on 9th of October .... she did NOT intend to stay .... but something or somebody took adventage of her goodness ????
I sincerely hope her family knows that she is not at any fault for talking to or growing feelings for this man. Even if he had some criminal history, there is still the real possibility that he did not harm her in any way and that they did have a true love or connection. It sounds like she took the precautions that are reasonable (having a background check and keeping in contact with family/friends and sharing the plans for what they were doing).

It really does change things though if she came here to meet him and hang out with him while seeing parts of the US. It gives us perspective for why she was at his house (because they were talking and liked each other, which is okay!!). If she hired him as a guide that might be very odd for her to be staying at his house, but knowing they liked one another and as adults there is nothing wrong with her staying at his house.

Sometimes bad things happen to even those of us that make the best plans or take all the precautions. We don't know yet what has happened to either of them or weather it was an accident or something criminal, but she did not do anything wrong by meeting a man and deciding to come to the US to meet him.

I hope her family knows that there is no judgement here that she did anything wrong.

If she felt a connection spiritually with the California desert, then perhaps JRF was trying to show her something in this area that he thought she would love? Maybe there was a deeper meaning in this location that would make senses for why they might be hiking there in this heat.

If she felt a connection spiritually with the California desert, then perhaps JRF was trying to show her something in this area that he thought she would love? Maybe there was a deeper meaning in this location that would make senses for why they might be hiking there in this heat.

China has desert areas too, I'm wondering if Fang spent any time there, either hiking or just taking photos and enjoying the tranquility?

This has been posted before, was it Slowpoke??? I am not sure these days....hope i have that right.

ETA:

I sense she had been there but really not knowing...

Last edited:
View attachment 455351The one known full-image, outdoor-attired pic, taken by FJ, of JRF.
Very appropriate for environment despite heat, heavy boots, denim jeans, long-sleeve cotton shirt.
Definitely an old skool outfit, as there has been a shift in recent years away from natural, breathable fabrics (with decomp times in ripe environments a matter of weeks) to lighter, quick-drying synthetics (decomp can measure in centuries).

This pic STILL bothers me, it feels hastily captured imho
He isn't even posing, he is clearly in motion...
Standing on uneven ground not even steady by the looks of things
Why this pic????
ETA: dunno. just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors