Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ John Root Fitzpatrick, 55, (fnd dec.), 30 Jul ‘23 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was going over our VI’s posts for review. These are all excerpts taken from our VI’s posts that I thought maybe can call for further discussion.

The first three have to do with the last video and the entry onto the military base —date and times. There was some discussion of her phone usage earlier today.

Our VI says the video was recorded on a section of Adobe Rd that is 4 minutes away from the entrance of the military base. Then at 10:15pm and 10:19pm she sends the video.

The 10:19pm video sending time coincides with the JRF’s entry time at the entrance gate of the base. I don’t know what the significance is, just stating.

“22.19pm 21/07 we have (not) official prove that John entered the Marine Base by registrating his card at entrance gate in 29 palms.“
link

“22hr15: sent out last video to family wechat group(group of 4 people including parents, Lin and FJ herself)
22hr19: Same last video and same message was sent via Wechat messeger to wife of the chinese friend that picked her at airport.”
link

“The video is about 4minutes from entrance Marine base in 29 palms”
link
———-
My thoughts on this one is just that Fang seemed, MOO, to defer to JRF on this trip for things to do. I get that she’s the visitor and is a guest on his turf, but depending on the relationship and personalities of the two, it could have been different. (for example, my daughter is one who is a trip planner to the nth degree—researching the town for eateries, attractions, events, you-name-it.) Our VI said Fang’s not one to have her itinerary planned out ahead of her trip. Nothing wrong with that; just noting:

“Do not forget that she dissapeared 7 days after arrival .... so in a normal visit period after example 2 weeks getting to know neighbourhood and eachother they might could have plans to visit Johns sister at east coast or who knows other areas such as grand canyon .... but probably she would have preferred planning during the first weeks and not months ahead of her visit ...”
link
———-
If this sighting on 8/2 really was JRF’s truck, what could it mean? It would have been the day in between the two searches carried out at JRF’s home (8/1 & 8/3). It would have been after JRF’s phone ping in Julian (7/24). Morongo Basin includes the communities of Morongo Valley, Landers, Pioneertown, Joshua Tree, Twentynine Palms, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, and Wonder Valley.

“We have a report that someone saw his car on 2nd of August in Morongo basin ...but LE could not find it at that moment ????”
link
———-
The next two have to do with DH, the friend of JRF. It seems DH and JRF were very close. That JRF would share his conversations with Fang shows that. Maybe JRF was excited with his new love yet insecure, too, and showed DH for advice? I’m not saying that was ok of JRF to share all of the conversations, with his friend. Seems inappropriate. But it could show an insecurity or immaturity despite his age.

“We have proof of a conversation of DH that he claims he did not hear anything from John after 21st of July...But do we need to believe it ?”
link
“DH declares to the friend of Lin (daughter Fang) that he was told EVERYTHING by John ..... and he proved it by sending a screenshot of a conversation between JRF and JF in whatsapp”
link

Who says they (LE) have phone of JRF ????
DH declares to the friend of Lin (daughter Fang) that he was told EVERYTHING by John ..... and he proved it by sending a screenshot of a conversation between JRF and JF in whatsapp .....
Further did he mix up the app of whatsapp and wechat .....he thought it was the same.....
Nobody says LE have JRF's phone, and I never did. I said they appear to have his phone records because they know when his phone last pinged.

I was going over our VI’s posts for review. These are all excerpts taken from our VI’s posts that I thought maybe can call for further discussion.

The first three have to do with the last video and the entry onto the military base —date and times. There was some discussion of her phone usage earlier today.

Our VI says the video was recorded on a section of Adobe Rd that is 4 minutes away from the entrance of the military base. Then at 10:15pm and 10:19pm she sends the video.

The 10:19pm video sending time coincides with the JRF’s entry time at the entrance gate of the base. I don’t know what the significance is, just stating.

“22.19pm 21/07 we have (not) official prove that John entered the Marine Base by registrating his card at entrance gate in 29 palms.“
link

“22hr15: sent out last video to family wechat group(group of 4 people including parents, Lin and FJ herself)
22hr19: Same last video and same message was sent via Wechat messeger to wife of the chinese friend that picked her at airport.”
link

link
———-
My thoughts on this one is just that Fang seemed, MOO, to defer to JRF on this trip for things to do. I get that she’s the visitor and is a guest on his turf, but depending on the relationship and personalities of the two, it could have been different. (for example, my daughter is one who is a trip planner to the nth degree—researching the town for eateries, attractions, events, you-name-it.) Our VI said Fang’s not one to have her itinerary planned out ahead of her trip. Nothing wrong with that; just noting:

“Do not forget that she dissapeared 7 days after arrival .... so in a normal visit period after example 2 weeks getting to know neighbourhood and eachother they might could have plans to visit Johns sister at east coast or who knows other areas such as grand canyon .... but probably she would have preferred planning during the first weeks and not months ahead of her visit ...”
link
———-
If this sighting on 8/2 really was JRF’s truck, what could it mean? It would have been the day in between the two searches carried out at JRF’s home (8/1 & 8/3). It would have been after JRF’s phone ping in Julian (7/24). Morongo Basin includes the communities of Morongo Valley, Landers, Pioneertown, Joshua Tree, Twentynine Palms, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, and Wonder Valley.

“We have a report that someone saw his car on 2nd of August in Morongo basin ...but LE could not find it at that moment ????”
link
———-
The next two have to do with DH, the friend of JRF. It seems DH and JRF were very close. That JRF would share his conversations with Fang shows that. Maybe JRF was excited with his new love yet insecure, too, and showed DH for advice? I’m not saying that was ok of JRF to share all of the conversations, with his friend. Seems inappropriate. But it could show an insecurity or immaturity despite his age.

“We have proof of a conversation of DH that he claims he did not hear anything from John after 21st of July...But do we need to believe it ?”
link
“DH declares to the friend of Lin (daughter Fang) that he was told EVERYTHING by John ..... and he proved it by sending a screenshot of a conversation between JRF and JF in whatsapp”
link

Thank you. Great to have these in a row.

If there had been discussion about possibly visiting JRF's sister on the east coast:

1. Who is his sister? Location? (Since JRF is deceased/a victim, not a suspect at this point, can we discuss his family?)
2. Was the sister aware that JRF and FJ might visit her? If so, what plans (however loose) may have been in place?
3. Does JF's family know anything about JRF'S sister/identity? Have they or their PI tried to contact her?
4. If they were possibly going to visit, would that mean JRF and his sister were somewhat close, she was aware of FJ's visit, and pending plans to travel? If so, did she reach out to LE at all when she realized she could no longer contact her brother?

Imo.

link

link

link
———-

link
———-

link
———-

link
link
Nice to resume what I said..... also ALWAYS welcome to ask.... as long as we can focus on facts and figures that can lead us by finding Fang or at least know what happened to her around 21st of July

Am I correct in thinking the homicide attachment to the search warrant is a standard attachment with wording that never changes--by that I mean the wording on the attachment doesn't change depending on the particular case?

What I'm wondering is how much probable cause would be required before such an attachment could be added. In a missing persons case where LE are about to search the last known address of the missing person, would the odor of decomposition at that address, BY ITSELF, be enough to add a homicide attachment? If the source of the odor is unknown and a search of the property might reveal signs of a body at the location, would that be enough in the absence of anything else.

The search warrant mentions the odor of decomposition in the probable cause section. Presumably if the initial welfare check (when the door was found to be open and the odor was noticed, prior to the search warrant being granted) had shown obvious signs of a struggle, or of blood or other tissue, that would have also been included in the probable cause.

Am I correct in thinking the homicide attachment to the search warrant is a standard attachment with wording that never changes--by that I mean the wording on the attachment doesn't change depending on the particular case?

What I'm wondering is how much probable cause would be required before such an attachment could be added. In a missing persons case where LE are about to search the last known address of the missing person, would the odor of decomposition at that address, BY ITSELF, be enough to add a homicide attachment? If the source of the odor is unknown and a search of the property might reveal signs of a body at the location, would that be enough in the absence of anything else.

The search warrant mentions the odor of decomposition in the probable cause section. Presumably if the initial welfare check (when the door was found to be open and the odor was noticed, prior to the search warrant being granted) had shown obvious signs of a struggle, or of blood or other tissue, that would have also been included in the probable cause.

I believe the homicide attachment is standard language and yes, I believe the odor of decomp (and the door standing open and no word from Fang for days) is collectively enough for probable cause - the odor being mentioned definitely pushes it over the line, IMO.

They are not under an obligation to report the source of the odor, if they found an obvious (non-homicide related) cause.

IMO.

I believe the homicide attachment is standard language and yes, I believe the odor of decomp (and the door standing open and no word from Fang for days) is collectively enough for probable cause - the odor being mentioned definitely pushes it over the line, IMO.

They are not under an obligation to report the source of the odor, if they found an obvious (non-homicide related) cause.

IMO.
Thank you, that's incredibly helpful.

So in a case like this, although the homicide attachment appears ominous, it's effectively just a warning to those executing the search warrant that they should be on the look out for potential homicide-related evidence?

Last edited:

I agree with the above. Just a couple notes:

Homocide Attachment. Yes, I believe this is standard. I think past problems have made it standard for LE to check carefully for and take any possible forensic evidence, even without suspicion of foul play, because, if they wait until solid evidence emerges through other means, like finding remains - it will be too late to go back and get it.

In fact, forensic evidence is what will reveal foul play, so you have to start there.

If they wait, things will be washed and vacumed, or moved, or touched by strangers, even without deliberate coverup. IMO that is why the Homicide Attachment is standard on missing person search warrants.

There were two separate search warrants: If you look at the 'receipt' documents in that search warrant file, you will see that the two receipts relate to 2 different Search Warrants: the "SW #" is different, and the 2nd receipt refers to a SW issued August 3rd, whereas the first SW was issued August 1.

However, there is no copy of that 2nd warrant in the documents. It would have it's own probable cause, etc, relating to the disappearance of JRF. It also probably has its own Homicide Attachment.

JMO

I agree with the above. Just a couple notes:

Homocide Attachment. Yes, I believe this is standard. I think past problems have made it standard for LE to check carefully for and take any possible forensic evidence, even without suspicion of foul play, because, if they wait until solid evidence emerges through other means, like finding remains - it will be too late to go back and get it.

In fact, forensic evidence is what will reveal foul play, so you have to start there.

If they wait, things will be washed and vacumed, or moved, or touched by strangers, even without deliberate coverup. IMO that is why the Homicide Attachment is standard on missing person search warrants.

There were two separate search warrants: If you look at the 'receipt' documents in that search warrant file, you will see that the two receipts relate to 2 different Search Warrants: the "SW #" is different, and the 2nd receipt refers to a SW issued August 3rd, whereas the first SW was issued August 1.

However, there is no copy of that 2nd warrant in the documents. It would have it's own probable cause, etc, relating to the disappearance of JRF. It also probably has its own Homicide Attachment.

JMO
Thank you, that was also incredibly helpful.

As I understood it, one search warrant was for JF's belongings using her case number and the other for JRF's belongings using his case number. Which makes sense considering both were reported missing.

Thank you, that's incredibly helpful.

So in a case like this, although the homicide attachment appears ominous, it's effectively just a warning to those executing the search warrant that they should be on the look out for potential homicide-related evidence?

It means that LE suspects a homicide and is authorized to search more extensively in the home. The Judge would have seen only what's in the request - so of course, "decomp" would get the Judge's attention.

They should have been specifically looking for the source of the odor. And we do know that they asked a forensics team to come in, IIRC. So way more is known right now to LE than we know.

What I think is this: if they DID find evidence of homicide (a human sized odor shape found by instrument or by canine), the suspect was obviously going to be the owner of the home who is now also missing. However, since he is found deceased, there is no urgency to the case. Crimes where the suspect is still at large are going to be prioritized. Of course, this presumes that LE has several strands of evidence to come to that conclusion.

The fact that his cause of death was not immediately apparent puts a kink into things, as well. But, perhaps, that's known by now. IOW, the intact skull (which we saw blurred pictures of) is pretty good evidence that he didn't suicide by shooting himself in the head (sorry to be so graphic, but it's a crime story). Further, no gun was found. He was maybe 2 miles from his truck (which appears to have undergone some damage). But if the damage occurred while near Harper Flats, as we suppose, why does he go UP into the mountains to a more dangerous spot? There's likely some cell service nearer the highway (also about 2-3 miles away - why not go for help?)

The truck damage doesn't sound like it was enough to cause a fatality (but if it did, why does the survivor take off in the wrong direction??)

It's cases like this that give us all a mental work-out - and LE is doing the same computations (but with a bit more knowledge). Someone here pointed out that the lower jaw was also in the skull picture - so the skull had to be intact for a while (and very like was swept downhill to some degree). Indeed, it's easy to imagine that the elements played a role in his death - we just don't know.

IMO.

Who says they (LE) have phone of JRF ????
DH declares to the friend of Lin (daughter Fang) that he was told EVERYTHING by John ..... and he proved it by sending a screenshot of a conversation between JRF and JF in whatsapp .....
Further did he mix up the app of whatsapp and wechat .....he thought it was the same.....
LE reported in the search warrant finding 3 phones in JRF’s home. We don’t know if these were old phones or if one of them was his current phone.

@mark1969 Do you know what was the context of the conversation in the screenshot? Definitely odd that DH had it. Was JRF showing off/boasting to DH (by sharing flirtatious/romantic conversation)? Or perhaps, was there information about their camping/trip plans in the conversation between JF and JRF that JRF sent to DH so he wouldn’t have to retype it or cut and paste it?

It means that LE suspects a homicide and is authorized to search more extensively in the home. The Judge would have seen only what's in the request - so of course, "decomp" would get the Judge's attention.

They should have been specifically looking for the source of the odor. And we do know that they asked a forensics team to come in, IIRC. So way more is known right now to LE than we know.

What I think is this: if they DID find evidence of homicide (a human sized odor shape found by instrument or by canine), the suspect was obviously going to be the owner of the home who is now also missing. However, since he is found deceased, there is no urgency to the case. Crimes where the suspect is still at large are going to be prioritized. Of course, this presumes that LE has several strands of evidence to come to that conclusion.

The fact that his cause of death was not immediately apparent puts a kink into things, as well. But, perhaps, that's known by now. IOW, the intact skull (which we saw blurred pictures of) is pretty good evidence that he didn't suicide by shooting himself in the head (sorry to be so graphic, but it's a crime story). Further, no gun was found. He was maybe 2 miles from his truck (which appears to have undergone some damage). But if the damage occurred while near Harper Flats, as we suppose, why does he go UP into the mountains to a more dangerous spot? There's likely some cell service nearer the highway (also about 2-3 miles away - why not go for help?)

The truck damage doesn't sound like it was enough to cause a fatality (but if it did, why does the survivor take off in the wrong direction??)

It's cases like this that give us all a mental work-out - and LE is doing the same computations (but with a bit more knowledge). Someone here pointed out that the lower jaw was also in the skull picture - so the skull had to be intact for a while (and very like was swept downhill to some degree). Indeed, it's easy to imagine that the elements played a role in his death - we just don't know.

IMO.

I wish I could find it again, but I'm sure someone previously posted a topographical map of the Harper Flat/Canyon area. I think it showed that the area where JRF's remains were found was a few hundred feet lower than where the truck was found. Given the likely flooding in the area due to Hurricane Hilary, JRF may have been washed down away from the truck. And sadly, other evidence at the location may have been destroyed or buried.

I'm not familiar with Harper Flat/Canyon, but it seems to be simultaneously difficult to access and yet frequently accessed. It's not the kind of place I'd expect people to go without a reason, and it likewise doesn't seem to be a great place to go if you're trying to disappear.

I wish I could find it again, but I'm sure someone previously posted a topographical map of the Harper Flat/Canyon area. I think it showed that the area where JRF's remains were found was a few hundred feet lower than where the truck was found. Given the likely flooding in the area due to Hurricane Hilary, JRF may have been washed down away from the truck. And sadly, other evidence at the location may have been destroyed or buried.

I'm not familiar with Harper Flat/Canyon, but it seems to be simultaneously difficult to access and yet frequently accessed. It's not the kind of place I'd expect people to go without a reason, and it likewise doesn't seem to be a great place to go if you're trying to disappear.
Harper Flat sounds like it would be very interesting to see because it’s the site of a “large former village”. How did they stand the heat, or was it not as hot back then?

Harper Flat (link)— Petroglyphs, morteros*, and more on the site of a large former village”

*Morteros are holes in the stones where they would grind acorns for bread.

Harper Flat sounds like it would be very interesting to see because it’s the site of a “large former village”. How did they stand the heat, or was it not as hot back then?

Harper Flat (link)— Petroglyphs, morteros*, and more on the site of a large former village”

*Morteros are holes in the stones where they would grind acorns for bread.

So it is the kind of place JF might have wanted to visit due to the historical nature of the site.

I was sure someone had posted a topographic image with elevations and other relevant detail, but I can no longer find it. Perhaps it was modsnipped due to copyright. These are the closest posts I've been able to find showing maps of the area:

It sounds like you can't actually drive a vehicle onto Harper Flat, so if that's where JRF's car was found, it must have fallen or been washed onto the flat from somewhere in the mountains nearby. If the car was washed onto the Flat it raises the possibility that remains and belongings were washed down also.

Seems like a really good place to me. If you get there and there are no other cars, you can be pretty sure you're the only one up there - I don't think anyone walks all the way from the more used parts of Anza-Borrego to Harper Canyon.

There are several canyons and washes. I'm reading two things (that he was found in Harper Canyon; that he was found in Pinyon Wash). The truck was apparently found at the fence that now keeps people from parking on Harper Flat, but is basically below both the Canyon and the Wash.

I've never read that his body was found BELOW the flat. It's flat. Once the water gets to a flat, it cannot continue pushing things easily to a lower level. It sinks into the land. For his body to be tumbled down in a flash flood, it needs to be above the flat.

I'm pretty sure his body was away from and above the truck, not on the flats/road into the flats. The only map I've seen says that's where the body was.

People go out there to hunt for fossils, artifacts, rocks. More go right after rains, because there's more to find. I really like the desert, it's calming for me and when we go, we always find something interesting (we have a lot of rocks). I like studying rock conglomerates after a rain and so do many other people. It's an entire hobby. It's a day trip kind of area. The reason to go there would be solitude, recreation and possible finds of Native artifacts/observation of an ancient dwelling site. Also, people just like testing themselves on scrambling, low level bouldering, etc.

I think it would be very easy to disappear there. Barbara Thomas disappeared less than a mile from a road in the Mojave National Preserve (much more visited) and wasn't found for more than a year.

And you cannot drive easily up into the Canyon - if you can't get to the flat, you can't get to the opening of Harper Canyon. However, he COULD have gotten to the opening of Pinyon Wash. Of course, Pinyon Wash looks, to me, like a good way to ruin even a 4WD vehicle if one isn't very experienced and careful. But the reports I'm reading say that the truck was found near or against the fence that keeps the parking lot at Harper Flats closed. It's very close to the opening of Pinyon Wash.

IMO.

I found an elevation map here:

I've enhanced the contrast. Harper Flat is at 700-800m elevation, the Harper Canyon trail (which I believe is where JRF was found) goes steadily down to about 300-400m at the top of the map. It's definitely lower than the Flat based on this map.

Elevations.gif

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member