Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ John Root Fitzpatrick, 55, (fnd dec.), 30 Jul ‘23 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As you enjoy your Thanksgiving meal, here's some food for thought. Love triangle (Incident #232010057, 7/20/23). Drug dealing in the trailer park (Incident #232230038, 8/11/23 & 7/19/23). The plot is thickening with more basic info starting to come out from LE. Doesn't the theory or explanation that John Fitzpatrick and Jin Fang just got lost in the desert and died of high heat look too simple and less likely given these new facts?

No, there have been calls to the mobile home park (they are not trailers) for many years and the calls have most likely continued in a similar pattern since the tragic desert outing. There is no indication that anyone else is involved. MOO

Although in the abstract a good journalist should cite sources, I believe your raising a technical point about journalism ignores the bigger picture--David Gotfredson's reporting of this case. If you look at all the major facts we have about this case--search warrants, dates of discovery of truck and bodies, Fitzpatrick's death certificate, incident reports from Roadrunner Mobile Home Park, texts between Fitzpatrick & Jin, etc.)--they have all come out because of Mr. Gotfredson's investigation and reporting, including his persistent pressuring LE to release more info and documents. That's what a real journalist and sleuth should be doing. You know, Sherlock Holmes, like most good sleuths, had to rely on commonsense & deductive reasoning to interpret facts. Why should it be any different for Mr. Gotfredson? For me, his track record in this case speaks for itself and I trust and respect his analysis based on real facts that he has unearthed and reported.

One thing that's a little confusing is that if you look at the search warrant, it says (or at least implies) that the deputies made contact with JRF at the Roadrunner Mobile Home Park on July 22.
jrf.jpg

The normal assumption would be that the events described were in chronological order and a lot of the speculation after the search warrant was released presumed that the police actually saw JRF and FJ on 7/22. But from the call logs it now seems that the contact actually occurred on July 20.

In the scheme of things it may not be that important, but I thought it was interesting to mention.

Also, since we know from the warrant that the police did definitely speak to JRF, it backs up Gotfredson's reporting that JRF was the "male from another space" in the call log incident from 7/20. Although I supposed he could have also been the person who called for a welfare check of this neighbor on 7/21.

One thing that's a little confusing is that if you look at the search warrant, it says (or at least implies) that the deputies made contact with JRF at the Roadrunner Mobile Home Park on July 22.
View attachment 463438

The normal assumption would be that the events described were in chronological order and a lot of the speculation after the search warrant was released presumed that the police actually saw JRF and FJ on 7/22. But from the call logs it now seems that the contact actually occurred on July 20.

In the scheme of things it may not be that important, but I thought it was interesting to mention.

Also, since we know from the warrant that the police did definitely speak to JRF, it backs up Gotfredson's reporting that JRF was the "male from another space" in the call log incident from 7/20. Although I supposed he could have also been the person who called for a welfare check of this neighbor on 7/21.

LE also could have spoken to John on 7/19 when they were doing a drug bust "next door" and John was taking photos of the police. That's mentioned in incident #MB232230038.

I'm not saying the couple on 7/20 weren't Fang and John, all I've ever been saying is that the call list doesn't give enough information to be sure without other supporting evidence. There could have been half a dozen men with a new girlfriend living at the park and any of them would fit the call list description--because there isn't a description.

In any event, taking another person's belongings out of their truck would be such a strange thing to do unless you thought the belongings actually belonged to you. Or at least that they belonged to someone other than the person taking them.

As @mst noted, it is interesting that the two incidents' relating to the evicted woman were about the same property a man had died in about six weeks earlier, on 6/7. The dead man was seen to be swollen and decomposing, suggesting he'd been dead a while. It doesn't really sound like someone was living with the dead man, yet only six weeks later a woman appears to have been evicted from the same property. That's pretty quick turnaround if a woman moved in and was evicted in just six weeks.

LE also could have spoken to John on 7/19 when they were doing a drug bust "next door" and John was taking photos of the police. That's mentioned in incident #MB232230038.

I'm not saying the couple on 7/20 weren't Fang and John, all I've ever been saying is that the call list doesn't give enough information to be sure without other supporting evidence. There could have been half a dozen men with a new girlfriend living at the park and any of them would fit the call list description--because there isn't a description.

In any event, taking another person's belongings out of their truck would be such a strange thing to do unless you thought the belongings actually belonged to you. Or at least that they belonged to someone other than the person taking them.

As @mst noted, it is interesting that the two incidents' relating to the evicted woman were about the same property a man had died in about six weeks earlier, on 6/7. The dead man was seen to be swollen and decomposing, suggesting he'd been dead a while. It doesn't really sound like someone was living with the dead man, yet only six weeks later a woman appears to have been evicted from the same property. That's pretty quick turnaround if a woman moved in and was evicted in just six weeks.
Especially since it takes time to actually get an eviction of a tenant.

As @mst noted, it is interesting that the two incidents' relating to the evicted woman were about the same property a man had died in about six weeks earlier, on 6/7. The dead man was seen to be swollen and decomposing, suggesting he'd been dead a while. It doesn't really sound like someone was living with the dead man, yet only six weeks later a woman appears to have been evicted from the same property. That's pretty quick turnaround if a woman moved in and was evicted in just six weeks

I agree. While it was undoubtedly a big deal for the woman being evicted, I can't see it as more than a tempest in teapot for other residents.

JMO

The death certificate lists Fitzpatrick’s cause of death as “pending.” Both autopsies remain sealed because of an ongoing investigation.

Fitzpatrick’s death certificate includes the GPS location of his remains (33°7'14.9 N 116°14'27.8 W). The GPS location on the death certificate is about one mile north of the area previously reported to CBS 8 by the hiker who found the ex-Navy SEAL’s body in September

The death certificate lists Fitzpatrick’s cause of death as “pending.” Both autopsies remain sealed because of an ongoing investigation.

Fitzpatrick’s death certificate includes the GPS location of his remains (33°7'14.9 N 116°14'27.8 W). The GPS location on the death certificate is about one mile north of the area previously reported to CBS 8 by the hiker who found the ex-Navy SEAL’s body in September

That family that died on an ill-fated hike -- for months we speculated -- but in the end, it was accidental. No foul place. Just a series of unfortunate events resulting in unintended deaths.

I suspect, in time, we'll see the same thing here. LE doing due diligence. Cause of death may be virtually impossible to determine but they still need to explore and exhaust every test. Xray, toxicology, etc.

Whatever happened out there, if they found themselves with a disabled vehicle and even marginally under-prepared at the high heat of day, then they found themselves on the desert Titanic, no raft.

For her faint especially, so many questions, such loss, but maybe one day they can find comfort in her spirit of adventure, in her quest to live and love fully....

Jmo

That family that died on an ill-fated hike -- for months we speculated -- but in the end, it was accidental. No foul place. Just a series of unfortunate events resulting in unintended deaths.

I suspect, in time, we'll see the same thing here. LE doing due diligence. Cause of death may be virtually impossible to determine but they still need to explore and exhaust every test. Xray, toxicology, etc.

Whatever happened out there, if they found themselves with a disabled vehicle and even marginally under-prepared at the high heat of day, then they found themselves on the desert Titanic, no raft.

For her faint especially, so many questions, such loss, but maybe one day they can find comfort in her spirit of adventure, in her quest to live and love fully....

Jmo
For the family that passed away on their hike, police were able to eventually retrieve cell phone records that showed their attempts to text others for help (referencing heat) that failed to be delivered due to lack of service. Hopefully, they will eventually find such records in this case, as well.

For the family that passed away on their hike, police were able to eventually retrieve cell phone records that showed their attempts to text others for help (referencing heat) that failed to be delivered due to lack of service. Hopefully, they will eventually find such records in this case, as well.
I agree with you that LE finding and sharing cell phone records, including ping locations, is important to any investigation of this case. As you point out, In the case involving the family (Gerrish/Chung) hiking in Mariposa County, LE found and analyzed their phones and later shared details with the public. It's refreshing to see a sleuth like you who is focusing on records crucial to any understanding of where JRF & Jin were on their last days and what really happened to them. For now, all we have is an exact location for JRF's remains but no exact locations for Jin's remains or the truck. That info is basic and, without it and cellphone info, we're in the dark and with few important facts. It's like trying to guess a jigsaw puzzle from just a few pieces or playing cards with just a few cards instead of a full deck. Hopefully, these facts will come out sooner rather than later. Yes, there are different theories that could possibly apply depending on the evidence, including murder/suicide and death from a third party. We don't have enough evidence to really understand what happened here and saying that JRF & Jin just got stranded in the desert and died of heat disregards some of the real evidence that we have. I'm going to wait for more evidence before trying to say what happened to Jin & JRF.

It IS certainly uncomfortable to think it.
I’m sorry for brainstorming scenarios that make anyone uneasy.

Let’s go back to offering alternative scenarios, then, taking into account:

[1] Fang sent her last night video at 10:19pm on 7/21.
[2] JRF entered the marine base at 10:19pm on 7/21.
[3] 7/22 truck sighting in Thermal.
[4] 7/24 JRF phone ping in the Julian area.
[5] No phone usage from Fang after 7/21. No ping from her phone, say SBCSO.
[6] Odor of decomposition in JRF’s home (observed 8/1).
[7] Mobile home’s door open (observed 8/1).

—-
This won’t be all known facts, of course, as I’m trying to fill in the blanks for a possible scenario that does not involve JRF harming Fang :

So…
Fang’s last video was just a normal video sent as she sits in the truck as JRF pulls in to the marine base with the intention to gas up his truck. Another busy day is planned for tomorrow that will include lots of driving in the desert, so a full tank is a good idea. Since the pumps are still open, it’s a better time to do it that time of night while it’s cooler, and they’re still out and awake, anyway.

She writes they’ll be going camping, but it is not really true. She knows her parents would be vocal in their disapproval of the reality, and would worry about her too much, so she tells them this instead of letting them know she is spending her nights with her new beau at his mobile home in the desert.

They leave his Morongo Valley home the next day, 7/22. We know the truck was captured on surveillance in the Thermal, CA area, so this is where they went.

This is where I get stumped.

7/22 to 7/24…Did they ‘sleep under the stars’ in the bed of his truck (is that allowed) in the Anza Borrego area the whole time away? VI said there was not much in the way of provisions in the truck, though, when found.

Harper Flat, where the truck is found: is this when they had some accident? We know the truck, when found, was “pretty wrecked“. JRF had attempted a difficult rocky path that he shouldn’t have and disabled his truck, then they start walking to get somewhere safe or get a cell signal, but succumb to the heat?

Still doesn’t answer why she never returned calls or sent any messages on her phone. Nowhere to charge her phone? Lost her phone along the way ? JRF doesn’t have WeChat on his phone (if want to borrow his), and even if he did, would it be hard to access Fang’s account with her circle of friends from his phone?

I also don’t know where the odor of decomposition and open door fit into this, but..

It was suggested maybe spoiled meat and other food in the refrigerator/freezer, if the power was out for days?

As for the door being open, I feel like JRF would lock his door as a habit. So, who left it open? Maybe his place got broken into while they were gone for a few days on their trip, and the thief left it open?

It’s tough filling in the blanks for what we don’t know!
Couldn't agree more with you, slowpoke. It's tough filling in the blanks when we don't have much basic evidence, especially exact locations for Jin's remains & JRF's truck, clear photos of the remains & truck, Medical Examiner's reports, and especially cellphone records showing their movements on their final days. Without this info, which LE should release, it's like trying to guess a jigsaw from just a few pieces or playing with just a few cards rather than a full deck. <modsnip: personalizing> What I hope is that the above basic info will come out sooner rather than later, thus enabling us to understand what really happened to JRF & Fang and to objectively consider all possible theories, including murder/suicide and death from a third person.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this case is closed (via Death Certificates and CoD indicating a non-criminal CoD), then the private records of the victims are not going to become public.

If the case becomes a criminal case, then the investigation will be tight-lipped, because otherwise LE and the State will be accused in Court of manipulating the public narrative.

The determination of CoD is not easy in a case like this. Toxicology will be done, at least on JFR as driver and owner of the vehicle, but I'm not optimistic that the bones will yield up much information. Still, the attempt has to be made and given the state of the remains, it will have to go to a special, likely university-based laboratory for analysis. San Diego County has some of the best kit and best experts in the nation, I'm sure they'd like to at least try and see what they can find in those remains.

We are not entitled to phone records of other people in California (or, I believe, in any US State). LE has a special duty to maintain privacy of innocent citizens. Their lives are not an open book for the public to review. LE has an obligation NOT to share people's private information. Just because someone dies in a mysterious way does not mean that LE can just break the rules, policies and laws regarding the dispensation of information to the public. Next of kin IS being told what's going on, per our VI. Our VI doesn't have to share it, either.

If this is determined NOT to be a criminal matter, then the autopsy reports can be requested to be sealed by the next of kin. If for some reason, the family finds a reason for a civil suit, then they can allow their lawyer to order the autopsy reports, but they must be made public at some point (so that the defendants can defend themselves). IME, this availability of the autopsy report to the plaintiffs happens early in the case, but not before the nearly obligatory Motion for Dismissal/Summary Judgment. My assumption would be that in such a civil case, we'd be able to surmise quite a bit from the Plaintiff's complaint and choices about whom to sue.

We the public are not entitled to telematics from people's cars, when there is no criminal case and then only after a Court decides the public gets to see such things. I"m not sure how the idea that LE "should" release private information about deceased people is getting traction. That's an extraordinary ask. I do understand that people want to know, but we are not entitled to know at this point in time. We may never know - the families will, though.

At any rate, the process of determining WHETHER this is a criminal matter appears to be still underway. When Cause of Death is entered, we'll move to the next phase (either a criminal case and its rules of procedure; a civil case; or no case at all - if the CoD indicates wilderness misadventure and the families decide not to sue).

Most of us have seen cases stay in this limbo for six months. Or a year. Or more. No one here is next of kin, IMO. Only next of kin has standing to get information which, as we know through our VI, has been happening for Fang's family in Belgium. Other people, like ourselves, are NOT entitled to what the family is entitled to. I think this is both legal precedent and common courtesy.

How long does it take to get all the autopsy results and truck results? I can only guess - but six months is not an unusual period of time; with the truck's situation, could be even longer. Things are going slowly right now in the forensic world, post-COVID. How long to really scour the land for more clues, once the telematics and the phone data are completely analyzed? Anyone's guess. I'm sure the area around the truck and the projected walk from the truck to Harper Canyon have been closely looked at, but new facts from the truck (about time of day when it crashed in particular) could lead to more searches in Anza Borrego, down flood channels, etc. Just because the bodies are found in/near Harper Canyon does't mean that some evidence wasn't moved elsewhere by the floods.

What kind of civil action could be brought?

It could be, say, against Anza-Borrego SP/the State of California. My own work as a consultant in missing person's cases on public land has been in the context of National Parks being sued or notified of a pending lawsuit in civil cases. None of them resulted in the NP's having to pay out anything - just change some ways they did things. If a civil case is looming, that too will proceed slowly and information will NOT be public but some public allegations would have to be made

Then, LE and Anza-Borrego will be even LESS forthcoming, all around. Since there seems to be a group of people posting on SM and highly critical of LE, it's even possible that LE could be sued.

I think all of us know that this is not going to result in more public information coming from LE, but will result in less information while the case drags on. OTOH, the litigants might be able to share what they learn in civil discovery with the press, if that's what they want to do. That would be a year or so down the road, IME. It would be normal for a Plaintiff's civil attorney to do exactly that, even perhaps hiring a consultant to figure out the best way to prime a local jury for a big judgment. Personally, I don't see a case against either SBC or SDC going very far.

But...California may well be the most litigious state in the world - we surely do have that reputation in many people's minds.

My heart goes out to the families, particularly the daughters, in their quest to understand what really happened. This slowly moving process is a feature of nearly every case in California, not just on WS or Reddit.

Enough is known, though, that at least the families aren't completely in the dark - the way, say, the family of Kristin Smart were, for decades.

So we wait. For the autopsies to be completed and CoD entered. And IME, even if a civil case is filed by someone with standing (it will be thrown out if the Plaintiffs don't have legal standing), once the autopsies are obtained, the law firm will hire forensic consultants to explain those harrowing results to the lawyers, so they can proceed. That takes time too.

IME as a forensic consultant and professor of forensic and legal anthropology. Also, IMO, since like everyone else, I don't have all the facts of this case.

Last edited:

And, IIRC, in that case (which I followed closely, having hiked in the same area), the entire time the investigation went on, LE released only a little information. They proceeded to get all the records they could to try and make sure they had the right Manner of Death in that tragic case. There were actually 911 calls explaining the situation (from the mother's point of view, as she attempted to race to safety to get cell service).

If something of that nature exists in THIS case, then it will be part of the Coroner's report (which will be public when it's all been properly filed, with documentation). It was because of the 911 calls that this particular investigation was able to close after just 2 months. The deceased mother had made 911 calls describing their plight (they did not go through to a receiving 911 center, IIRC, but they still existed).

I worry that Jin Fang somehow did not have her phone with her. I worry that JRF's phone has not been found.

IMO.

If this case is closed (via Death Certificates and CoD indicating a non-criminal CoD), then the private records of the victims are not going to become public.

If the case becomes a criminal case, then the investigation will be tight-lipped, because otherwise LE and the State will be accused in Court of manipulating the public narrative.

The determination of CoD is not easy in a case like this. Toxicology will be done, at least on JFR as driver and owner of the vehicle, but I'm not optimistic that the bones will yield up much information. Still, the attempt has to be made and given the state of the remains, it will have to go to a special, likely university-based laboratory for analysis. San Diego County has some of the best kit and best experts in the nation, I'm sure they'd like to at least try and see what they can find in those remains.

We are not entitled to phone records of other people in California (or, I believe, in any US State). LE has a special duty to maintain privacy of innocent citizens. Their lives are not an open book for the public to review. LE has an obligation NOT to share people's private information. Just because someone dies in a mysterious way does not mean that LE can just break the rules, policies and laws regarding the dispensation of information to the public. Next of kin IS being told what's going on, per our VI. Our VI doesn't have to share it, either.

If this is determined NOT to be a criminal matter, then the autopsy reports can be requested to be sealed by the next of kin. If for some reason, the family finds a reason for a civil suit, then they can allow their lawyer to order the autopsy reports, but they must be made public at some point (so that the defendants can defend themselves). IME, this availability of the autopsy report to the plaintiffs happens early in the case, but not before the nearly obligatory Motion for Dismissal/Summary Judgment. My assumption would be that in such a civil case, we'd be able to surmise quite a bit from the Plaintiff's complaint and choices about whom to sue.

We the public are not entitled to telematics from people's cars, when there is no criminal case and then only after a Court decides the public gets to see such things. I"m not sure how the idea that LE "should" release private information about deceased people is getting traction. That's an extraordinary ask. I do understand that people want to know, but we are not entitled to know at this point in time. We may never know - the families will, though.

At any rate, the process of determining WHETHER this is a criminal matter appears to be still underway. When Cause of Death is entered, we'll move to the next phase (either a criminal case and its rules of procedure; a civil case; or no case at all - if the CoD indicates wilderness misadventure and the families decide not to sue).

Most of us have seen cases stay in this limbo for six months. Or a year. Or more. No one here is next of kin, IMO. Only next of kin has standing to get information which, as we know through our VI, has been happening for Fang's family in Belgium. Other people, like ourselves, are NOT entitled to what the family is entitled to. I think this is both legal precedent and common courtesy.

How long does it take to get all the autopsy results and truck results? I can only guess - but six months is not an unusual period of time; with the truck's situation, could be even longer. Things are going slowly right now in the forensic world, post-COVID. How long to really scour the land for more clues, once the telematics and the phone data are completely analyzed? Anyone's guess. I'm sure the area around the truck and the projected walk from the truck to Harper Canyon have been closely looked at, but new facts from the truck (about time of day when it crashed in particular) could lead to more searches in Anza Borrego, down flood channels, etc. Just because the bodies are found in/near Harper Canyon does't mean that some evidence wasn't moved elsewhere by the floods.

What kind of civil action could be brought?

It could be, say, against Anza-Borrego SP/the State of California. My own work as a consultant in missing person's cases on public land has been in the context of National Parks being sued or notified of a pending lawsuit in civil cases. None of them resulted in the NP's having to pay out anything - just change some ways they did things. If a civil case is looming, that too will proceed slowly and information will NOT be public but some public allegations would have to be made

Then, LE and Anza-Borrego will be even LESS forthcoming, all around. Since there seems to be a group of people posting on SM and highly critical of LE, it's even possible that LE could be sued.

I think all of us know that this is not going to result in more public information coming from LE, but will result in less information while the case drags on. OTOH, the litigants might be able to share what they learn in civil discovery with the press, if that's what they want to do. That would be a year or so down the road, IME. It would be normal for a Plaintiff's civil attorney to do exactly that, even perhaps hiring a consultant to figure out the best way to prime a local jury for a big judgment. Personally, I don't see a case against either SBC or SDC going very far.

But...California may well be the most litigious state in the world - we surely do have that reputation in many people's minds.

My heart goes out to the families, particularly the daughters, in their quest to understand what really happened. This slowly moving process is a feature of nearly every case in California, not just on WS or Reddit.

Enough is known, though, that at least the families aren't completely in the dark - the way, say, the family of Kristin Smart were, for decades.

So we wait. For the autopsies to be completed and CoD entered. And IME, even if a civil case is filed by someone with standing (it will be thrown out if the Plaintiffs don't have legal standing), once the autopsies are obtained, the law firm will hire forensic consultants to explain those harrowing results to the lawyers, so they can proceed. That takes time too.

IME as a forensic consultant and professor of forensic and legal anthropology. Also, IMO, since like everyone else, I don't have all the facts of this case.
Nice summarized
Hope that the phone that has been found of FJ can still be fixed because now it seems not be operational anymore and after reparation still be able to release lots of valuable info of the last moments of FJ's life.

Nice summarized
Hope that the phone that has been found of FJ can still be fixed because now it seems not be operational anymore and after reparation still be able to release lots of valuable info of the last moments of FJ's life.

Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop, Mark. I too hope they can pull good info from her phone - and there's also the truck.

I keep waiting to hear whether the truck has been airlifted out yet.

Nice summarized

Fang's phone being found is new information to me, so thank you.

If the phone was found in the desert and stayed relatively dry, the data should be retrievable if the phone can be accessed; i.e. isn't password protected. But if the phone was in flood water and smashed into rocks, it may well be damaged beyond any repair. I hope that isn't the case.

Sorry if I missed this, but do we know what kind of phone Fang had? Possibly various data was backed up to the cloud (eg, iCloud on iOS.)

I believe our VI has said it was a Chinese (Huawei?) phone, connected to a Chinese service provider.

And she was using an image hosting site based in China, I believe. However, JRF's phone pinged off nearby Julian tower o 7/24. We've pondered many times what happened to Fang's phone and why she ceased communicating after the 21st (although she does say that night that they are "going camping" and the next night his truck is seen in a campground near Thermal).

IIRC. IMO.

Thank you. So Fang's remains were found close to where our VI was told her backpack was found, nearer to the road. Some distance away from John's remains, but within the same Harper Canyon wash.

Fang's remains are the top red dot, John's the bottom red dot:

FJ-JF.jpg

Thank you. So Fang's remains were found close to where our VI was told her backpack was found, nearer to the road. Some distance away from John's remains, but within the same Harper Canyon wash.

Fang's remains are the top red dot, John's the bottom red dot:

View attachment 466478

Thank you so much for choosing this level of detail and putting down those dots. The truck would be way over to the right, with this orientation.

If this is not the result of water-based movement (to whatever degree that occurred), then Fang almost made it out, to the road.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back