Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ JohnRoot Fitzpatrick, 55, missing, 30 Jul ‘23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think her sending the pictures and the videos was just because she wanted to share what she was seeing. If she was worried about making her location known, she could've and should've simply shared her location. I don't think she was ever worried at all. I suspect they got into an accident, there's no reason for them to be on the run. And there's no reason for Fitzpatrick to murder her after she sent so many pictures of his face to her family. If they got into a fight for some reason, all he had to do was leave her and go home. This screams accident to me.
I agree! In that video she could have simply said something also if she was in danger. I doubt he spoke Chinese well enough if at all to know if she said a few things that would be able to alert family or friends that saw it.

I think it's common for those traveling to the US to have a return ticket purchased. Those coming here to vacation don't have an open ended amount of time they can stay. I am not sure the exact specifics, but when coming through customs don't they ask about money, where someone is staying and if a return ticket is booked? Seems like even if someone intended to NOT return back to the country they entered from, they might still have bought a round trip ticket so it wouldn't alarm anyone at customs they didn't intend to leave. I don't have any reason to believe she didn't intend to leave, just pointing out that IF someone entering the US didn't want to leave, they could simply buy the round trip ticket, have proof they had a way to leave and then just disappear. I don't think that happened in this case.
I know from buying a one way ticket to Nicaragua, they would not let me board the airplane in the until I had proof I was moving on from that country due to Nicaragua's policies, so I had to buy a return ticket although at that point I did not know my return date. I doubt the US is less stringent than Nicaragua on this policy, but I suppose you never know.

My first thought was accident too, but as more details have been released I have my doubts. It looks like she was sharing photos with her friends and family nearly every day. Then after that last video at 10 pm on July 21 they stopped. That video was shot in Twentynine Palms. Then his truck was caught on camera on 7/22 in Thermal and his phone last pinged in Julian on 7/24. But there was no other contact from Fang after 7/21. Why would she suddenly stop sending pictures and sharing her adventures with friends and family on 7/21? Especially when he appears to have traveled to other places after that date?

Regarding using location sharing if she felt threatened. It sounds like a lot of people in China are reluctant to use location sharing apps because they fear government tracking. Ms Jin probably doesn’t have a location sharing app on her phone. It wouldn’t be something that she would naturally thing to use when and if she became concerned and felt unsafe.

I agree that this doesn’t sound like a planned murder. However, with his criminal history and military background I fear problems with anger management and possibly substance use disorder (alcohol). My thoughts lean toward something happening to her in a fit of rage and him fleeing the area. He’s a former Navy Seal. He knows how to hide.
I didn't see that his phone pinged after her last contact. Interesting. I wonder if that ping was all they had or if they can see if he made calls, used the phone, texted, etc. Where else was the phone from the 22nd to the 24th. Were they both victims of a crime and his truck and phone were stolen? If he did something to her, then why hasn't he been seen for 3 weeks? I was leaning toward an accident, but that phone ping has me thrown.

Also if she ran a background check on him, then why didn't see she he had the criminal history or if she did see that, did it not concern her? Seems she checked into him and tried to be safe about her trip.

I also am wondering if she and him were talking as more than a tour guide/tourist and maybe she shared with her family/friends just that he was the tour guide? It might be alarming for them if she was traveling here to meet someone for other reasons than touring the US. Maybe she was keeping some things private so they didn't give her a hard time about it? If they had a love interest then had a fight maybe he did leave her somewhere, but not harmed in any way. Now with the media going crazy, he's panicked about things? Still wouldn't explain why she didn't contact family after the video.

I know from buying a one way ticket to Nicaragua, they would not let me board the airplane in the until I had proof I was moving on from that country due to Nicaragua's policies, so I had to buy a return ticket although at that point I did not know my return date. I doubt the US is less stringent than Nicaragua on this policy, but I suppose you never know.

Everyone I know who has come to the US from someplace else has had to have a return ticket (and that's been true for at least a couple of decades, and it's everyone I know from outside the US, unless they have permanent residency or citizenship).

I think it's the case for nearly all nations of the world. It's certainly true for China. Residents of some nations are specifically flagged for extra questioning, at least if they are arriving at a major US airport (China is one of them; Syria is another;' Russia is another; Ukraine is another). But that return plan is always asked about. I just wish authorities were as interested in a case like Fang Jin's, in which a foreign tourist is relying upon our own legal and justice systems, to be safe while here.

The longer the days draw out, the more I worry about foul play (esp. with her messages stopping before his pings stop and his generally southward movement - through terrain with fewer cameras and LE, frankly). I am still open to a desert misadventure theory, but at this point, this case is looking grim (unless of course, they are off grid and still enjoying themselves, oblivious to the search efforts - which seems a long shot, really).

IMO

I didn't see that his phone pinged after her last contact. Interesting. I wonder if that ping was all they had or if they can see if he made calls, used the phone, texted, etc. Where else was the phone from the 22nd to the 24th. Were they both victims of a crime and his truck and phone were stolen? If he did something to her, then why hasn't he been seen for 3 weeks? I was leaning toward an accident, but that phone ping has me thrown.

Also if she ran a background check on him, then why didn't see she he had the criminal history or if she did see that, did it not concern her? Seems she checked into him and tried to be safe about her trip.

I also am wondering if she and him were talking as more than a tour guide/tourist and maybe she shared with her family/friends just that he was the tour guide? It might be alarming for them if she was traveling here to meet someone for other reasons than touring the US. Maybe she was keeping some things private so they didn't give her a hard time about it? If they had a love interest then had a fight maybe he did leave her somewhere, but not harmed in any way. Now with the media going crazy, he's panicked about things? Still wouldn't explain why she didn't contact family after the video.
I keep reading he was her "guide"... did he advertise himself as a local guide? do that type of work before?

You seem familiar with the area…any idea where they could be headed if she mentioned ‘a small town in the middle of the desert’?

Hope it's okay to jump in!

Small towns in the middle of the desert:

Amboy
Pioneer Town
Helendale
Furnace Creek
Slab City
Wonder Valley
Desert Hot Springs
Ridgecrest
Kern

Dang, I could go on and on.

I’m about 30 minutes northwest of the salton sea, and about 50 minutes to Yucca/Joshua Tree. You cannot smell it. You could drive right by it on the highway and not smell it. There are certain days in the year when there is a sulfur smell lingering in the air. It’s not completely intolerable. Not enough for people to desert the area. Actually right now, because of the meteor shower this past week, the high desert was bumper to bumper traffic. So even though the temperatures are very high, people still flock here.

There were many times when we could smell it.
It can even be smelled in Los Angeles at certain times.
The heat and wind play a big part in just how much it is noticable.

I lived in Joshua Tree for 21 years. We moved in 2021.

Last edited:
Hope it's okay to jump in!

Small towns in the middle of the desert:

Amboy
Pioneer Town
Helendale
Furnace Creek
Slab City
Wonder Valley
Desert Hot Springs
Ridgecrest
Kern

Dang, I could go on and on.

Yeah, you can run out of space trying to describe small and smaller towns in the middle of the desert. 29Palms would qualify as one to someone from a large city in China.

My gut feeling is that they didn't go any farther north than Highway 62 and 29 Palms, didn't go to Mohave National Preserve, didn't to to Death Valley, or east to the Blyth area. I think they stuck to his known stomping grounds. If they hit any of the other Interstate highways than we already know about, a plate reader would likely have picked up the vehicle at some point. But no news at all about the vehicle after July 24 (?)

But it perplexes me. It was so very freakin' hot during that time period in July and early August. Even after camping a couple of nights, I think you'd be desperate for a shower and a motel with air conditioning to sleep in. Desperate for cold drinks with ice. In lieu of a motel, you could head to the mountains. There are campgrounds there, but I don't think they would be staying in one of those. Free camping is really discouraged in that region because of the severe fire hazard, but it doesn't mean people don't do it. With his history of self-reliance etc, that's where I think they'll be found. At some time, they would need to get supplies, gas, and water so they'd need to make a trip into town and she could have posted another short video. The lack of that contact is really ominous.

As others have said, find the car to find them. I do waver between accident and criminal event. Today, I feel like a major accident involving the vehicle - like a rollover off a steep rocky road or something.

Last edited:
Yeah, you can run out of space trying to describe small and smaller towns in the middle of the desert. 29Palms would qualify as one to someone from a large city in China.

My gut feeling is that they didn't go any farther north than Highway 62 and 29 Palms, didn't go to Mohave National Preserve, didn't to to Death Valley, or east to the Blyth area. I think they stuck to his known stomping grounds. If they hit any of the other Interstate highways than we already know about, a plate reader would likely have picked up the vehicle at some point. But no news at all about the vehicle after July 24 (?)

But it perplexes me. It was so very freakin' hot during that time period in July and early August. Even after camping a couple of nights, I think you'd be desperate for a shower and a motel with air conditioning to sleep in. Desperate for cold drinks with ice.

As others have said, find the car to find them. I do waver between accident and criminal event. Today, I feel like a major accident involving the vehicle - like a rollover off a steep rocky road or something.

Given those perameters I would suggest:

Pioneer Town
Rimrock
And
Whitewater.
Totally forgot Whitewater!
It's an interesting area with a river, wading area, catfish ponds, and camping! Ooooohhh and lots of hiking trails!
The nature conservancy has a trail from White Water to Desert Hot Springs.

There is even a trail that you can hike to Canada from. I think it's the Pacific .. something trail.. sorry, can't recall the name. My kids and I spent many days cooling off in that river!

But it perplexes me. It was so very freakin' hot during that time period in July and early August. Even after camping a couple of nights, I think you'd be desperate for a shower and a motel with air conditioning to sleep in. Desperate for cold drinks with ice.

you would think, with the publicity now, some one would remember them buying water, drinks, supplies, gas... unless they already have and reported to LE

Ooh ooh I know the answer to this one!! I new watching all those weird reality shows would come in handy one day! Lol
They are incredibly strict and question people extensively to make sure they don’t intend on working and that they plan on leaving.
They will call and check references and go to very great lengths to make sure your intended purposes are legit.
I think the shows were on Netflix back in the day. Called border security or something similar. There is a recent one on Discover Plus that is only Texas/Mexico border, but very interesting none the less.

Ooh ooh I know the answer to this one!! I new watching all those weird reality shows would come in handy one day! Lol
They are incredibly strict and question people extensively to make sure they don’t intend on working and that they plan on leaving.
They will call and check references and go to very great lengths to make sure your intended purposes are legit.
I think the shows were on Netflix back in the day. Called border security or something similar. There is a recent one on Discover Plus that is only Texas/Mexico border, but very interesting none the less.
Yes! They do a lot of research to make sure that your intentions match the type of visa you are coming over with. If you're on a tourist visa, they will ask questions about what you intend to do, where you intend to stay, etc to verify that you are not planning to work or go to school. If it's a fiance visa, they check up on the partner and plans to marry within 90 days (thanks reality TV for that one too). If it's a student visa, they will verify enrollment and they usually ask for an offer of employment if you're on a work visa.

Given those perameters I would suggest:

Pioneer Town
Rimrock
And
Whitewater.
Totally forgot Whitewater!
It's an interesting area with a river, wading area, catfish ponds, and camping! Ooooohhh and lots of hiking trails!
The nature conservancy has a trail from White Water to Desert Hot Springs.

There is even a trail that you can hike to Canada from. I think it's the Pacific .. something trail.. sorry, can't recall the name. My kids and I spent many days cooling off in that river!

That is SO interesting, Ravenmoon.

That Whitewater Preserve looks like an ideal place (if it still had water), although it looks like it's not high enough elevation to be alpine cool. It's quite interesting from a hiking and birding aspect and I would think it was very appealing. West of Highway 62. It looks as though it has been intermittently closed this summer from flash flood warnings.

The Pacific Crest Trail from Canada to Mexico does pass through there. It would be quite late in the season for any through-hikers due to the heat and lack of water in that area.

However, as far as I can tell from these posts, the vehicle was spotted heading in a generally southward track near the Salton Sea and closer to the Anzo-Borrego or Cleveland National Forest region as of July 24. It is entirely possible they were heading to Mexico. Their apparent route would bring them to the Tecate Border crossing. A mountainous, but scenic area. It is not notorious for drug smuggling or cartels, but not a safe place to try free camping or off the main road activities.

Last edited:
Everyone I know who has come to the US from someplace else has had to have a return ticket (and that's been true for at least a couple of decades, and it's everyone I know from outside the US, unless they have permanent residency or citizenship).

I think it's the case for nearly all nations of the world. It's certainly true for China. Residents of some nations are specifically flagged for extra questioning, at least if they are arriving at a major US airport (China is one of them; Syria is another;' Russia is another; Ukraine is another). But that return plan is always asked about. I just wish authorities were as interested in a case like Fang Jin's, in which a foreign tourist is relying upon our own legal and justice systems, to be safe while here.

The longer the days draw out, the more I worry about foul play (esp. with her messages stopping before his pings stop and his generally southward movement - through terrain with fewer cameras and LE, frankly). I am still open to a desert misadventure theory, but at this point, this case is looking grim (unless of course, they are off grid and still enjoying themselves, oblivious to the search efforts - which seems a long shot, really).

IMO
I completely agree with everything you said. Unfortunately, I don’t think LE is even searching for them. They have classified them as voluntarily missing. Maybe that’ll change in October when Ms Jin’s visa runs out. This case needs some national media attention.

A Chinese national would have to have a US VISA. If they were traveling for tourism, it would be a B1/B2 tourism visa, which would be obtained at a consulate in China. It allows a stay of up to 180 days in the US, as decided by the inspection at US immigration. To get the VISA, she would be required to have a ticket by an approved commercial carrier ( airline, cruise ship, train, or even bus) to demonstrate proof of plans to depart within the time limit of the VISA.

The B1/B2 VISA can be extended while visiting in the US, but the traveler must show proof of finances to support themselves without working in the US and have a darn good reason to convince authorities that 6 months wasn't enough. It is harder to get the visa extended than to get one to begin with.

Importantly, with a B1/B2 VISA she could cross the border into Mexico or Canada and be allowed back into the US if it fit within that 180 days. Mexico allows Chinese citizens with a valid US VISA to enter Mexico.

So it is entirely possible they were heading to cross into Mexico and it would be entirely legal for her to do so.

That is SO interesting, Ravenmoon.

That Whitewater Preserve looks like an ideal place (if it still had water), although it looks like it's not high enough elevation to be alpine cool. It's quite interesting from a hiking and birding aspect and I would think it was very appealing. West of Highway 62. It looks as though it has been intermittently closed this summer from flash flood warnings.

The Pacific Crest Trail from Canada to Mexico does pass through there. It would be quite late in the season for any through-hikers due to the heat and lack of water in that area.

However, as far as I can tell from these posts, the vehicle was spotted heading in a generally southward track near the Salton Sea and closer to the Anzo-Borrego or Cleveland National Forest region.

In my 2 plus decades frequenting the area I never saw Whitewater with no water. It would run low at times, and other times they would dam it up. If one travels in to the tiny town along the river, you will find at least enough water to call it a creek. The preserve itself did close after flooding and when forest fires were imminent. That could happen at any time of the year. I have heard rain was heavy this past winter. I imagine that Whitewater is roaring this Summer and probably dangerous!

The Cleveland National Forest Park was always odd to me. It felt like a different world sometimes. I think Palomar Mountain is a part of that range? I believe hikers like the area there too!

And, clearly, if they had crossed into Mexico, LE would have picked up their vehicle license plates. There is nowhere along the California - Mexico border where you would attempt to cross illegally. That would put you in the arms of drug gangs.

I completely agree with everything you said. Unfortunately, I don’t think LE is even searching for them. They have classified them as voluntarily missing. Maybe that’ll change in October when Ms Jin’s visa runs out. This case needs some national media attention.
This what I was about to ask...is anyone looking for them? At this point, I'm taking the Occam's Razor approach an assuming vehicle accident/car trouble in an area with no cell service.

This what I was about to ask...is anyone looking for them? At this point, I'm taking the Occam's Razor approach an assuming vehicle accident/car trouble in an area with no cell service.
I agree. Also, unless they had portable (solar) charging bricks with them, all it would take is a dead car battery to effectively disable their ability to travel/communicate. In high temperatures (which, by all accounts, was the case in the areas they were supposedly visiting), car batteries drain quicker than in more moderate and below-freezing temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjberry5954