Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ JohnRoot Fitzpatrick, 55, missing, 30 Jul ‘23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
thumbnail_Screenshot-2023-08-09-at-2.04.49-PM.png

I doubt that's the reason. I think they are being tight-lipped because right now, this is a criminal investigation.

People who go to Morongo for tourism are not likely to be following this case, IMO. It's not been big in the news here in SoCal. Most people who go to Morongo are more or less local to the area (Inland Empire, basically).

The only reason I can think of for SBCSO to not give details of cars, etc., is that they don't feel it will lead to finding her. Searches do not take place unless there is a last known sighting of a person near a place where a search could happen.

IMO.

I agree, JMO, LE are searching for individuals and vehicle, it’s likely they are unable to track cell phones. MOO

so who took this picture? does not seem to be a "selfie" unless there is a stand on the
car window because her arms are down.
I think she took the photo. You can take a selfie that doesn't show your arm. It looks the second row of seats in the truck behind them? And wouldn't this image be flipped if she took it? (I never get that straight?!) So he would be in the driver's seat, but leaning back so we can't see the steering wheel? It looks to be the blue truck in which they were traveling - I didn't realize it had double cab. Or I forgot, more likely. She's wearing a seatbelt, leaning forward. He is not wearing a seatbelt and is leaning back. It's a nice photo of them.

This is American MSM no? (It's the same news site that was linked in post #1)

"Chinese news outlets and family friends of Fang have indicated that the man Fang was traveling with was John Root Fitzpatrick, a 52-year-old from Morongo Valley."
"The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department is not releasing any information related to the case, including whether there is a criminal investigation."

eta @Laughing I don't know, the translating service on the Chinese websites that are posting about her just says Chinese (simplified). If that helps.
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that LE is on the case and actively working, while keeping things very quiet because they do not need the public's assistance. If that is the case, they are probably not happy about family and friends releasing the name of her companion.

The photo looks like it was taken with a selfie stick.
Has the companion been reported missing? I think everyone is assuming he is the catalyst, but after a quick look, I think I more concerned that something happened to both of them and he just may not have close family and friends in the area to report him missing.

I called the Morongo Basin home for more than 21 years. We moved away a little more than 2 years ago.

I assume that the Monument would be a destination that they would be interested in. It is the size of Rhode Island and becoming disoriented in the heat, heck, even without the heat, is easy.

Aside from the monument itself, there are many areas of wide and vast wilderness. Did they have an itinerary? Did they plan to camp?

Now, as to camping: the entire basin is overflowing with Air B and Bs. They can be tents, yurts, trailers, cabins, a regular house in a regular neighborhood, they are literally everywhere. Most out of towners choose the glamping over rough camping.

That vehicle may have gotten stuck. It is not easy to find one that is lost when it is way in the back areas of places in Wonder Valley, Pioneer Town, Landers, Johnson Valley, Morongo Valley, the list is extensive. Drones, as of 2 years ago, are not permitted in the Monument. Maybe it's changed.

Without knowing much about their plans or their connection, I lean towards stuck in the dirt and trying to walk. That is deadly.

Honestly, I think people should take a quick course on the terrain, the dos and don'ts of walking, hiking, etc. Many people have been lost to the Mojave.

JMO

I think she took the photo. You can take a selfie that doesn't show your arm. It looks the second row of seats in the truck behind them? And wouldn't this image be flipped if she took it? (I never get that straight?!) So he would be in the driver's seat, but leaning back so we can't see the steering wheel? It looks to be the blue truck in which they were traveling - I didn't realize it had double cab. Or I forgot, more likely. She's wearing a seatbelt, leaning forward. He is not wearing a seatbelt and is leaning back. It's a nice photo of them.
I agree. I flipped the photo and then to me, it's clear she's in the passenger seat, probably holding phone/selfie stick in open window. I think he undid his seatbelt and moved his seat back so as to be in the photo. (she's still wearing her seatbelt).

I think there may be a few reasons LE can't comment on this case, including perhaps that she's visiting from China, rather than being a US citizen.

Family in China can't call 911 and request police assistance, simply because she hasn't been in touch. I think that might have to come through official channels: the Chinese embassy making a request to the state department, etc.

JMO

I called the Morongo Basin home for more than 21 years. We moved away a little more than 2 years ago.

I assume that the Monument would be a destination that they would be interested in. It is the size of Rhode Island and becoming disoriented in the heat, heck, even without the heat, is easy.

Without knowing much about their plans or their connection, I lean towards stuck in the dirt and trying to walk. That is deadly.

Honestly, I think people should take a quick course on the terrain, the dos and don'ts of walking, hiking, etc. Many people have been lost to the Mojave.

JMO
rsbm

You must love the desert, but never trust it completely. Because the desert tests all men, it challenges every step, and kills men who become distracted.

The Alchemist, The Alchemist, Paul Coelho
jmho ymmv lrr

As much as I am concerned about foul play, I am also very worried about misadventure due to heat and/or poor GPS.

I wish we could discuss info at the gimme site. Or better yet, that msm would catch up.

I agree. I flipped the photo and then to me, it's clear she's in the passenger seat, probably holding phone/selfie stick in open window. I think he undid his seatbelt and moved his seat back so as to be in the photo. (she's still wearing her seatbelt).

I think there may be a few reasons LE can't comment on this case, including perhaps that she's visiting from China, rather than being a US citizen.

Family in China can't call 911 and request police assistance, simply because she hasn't been in touch. I think that might have to come through official channels: the Chinese embassy making a request to the state department, etc.

JMO

Yes I think she is in the passenger seat and he has set the seat back. You can see a bit of the passenger side visa in the upper left of the photo. The photo is a mirror image.

Fang Jin’s companion has also been reported as missing by the Sheriff’s Dept, according to a update to that latest article.
Missing woman’s family looks for answers; sheriff now reports man also missing

“On Wednesday afternoon, the Sheriff’s Department also announced Fitzpatrick as a missing person. According to the Sheriff’s Department, a friend reported Fitzpatrick as missing from the Morongo Basin around 11:50 a.m. Sunday, July 30.”

It’s so concerning, and just to repeat myself and bore everyone here, but if Fang and John (TY Sheriff, I don’t need to refer to him as Mystery Man any more.) ran into trouble in the desert, then the LE approach to this case seems a bit odd. I can’t help but wonder if something happened to them, not environmental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot