Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ JohnRoot Fitzpatrick, 55, missing, 30 Jul ‘23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The B-1 is for business. The B-2 is a tourist visa, so I presume that's what she has.

You are correct. And it wasn't a typo (it was a misread on my part). They are very similar (lax in terms of purpose). In fact, had Fang Jin been interesting in learning more about airbnb style rentals, she could have done either. I don't know about the processing times for each.

Both have similar limitations in terms of stay. I think.

IMO.

china did have record breaking heat this summer

China logs 52.2 Celsius as extreme weather rewrites records

View attachment 444102
Reuters
https://www.reuters.com › world › china-logs-522-celsiu...

Jul 16, 2023 — BEIJING, July 17 (Reuters) - A remote township in China's arid northwest endured temperatures of more than 52 Celsius (126 Fahrenheit) on ...

China beats its own record for hot days over six months

View attachment 444103
CNN.com
https://www.cnn.com › 2023/07/03 › china › china-recor...

Jul 3, 2023 — China beats its own record for hot days over six months ... Tourists visit the Temple of Heaven on a hot day in Beijing on June 30, 2023.

So maybe Fang thought it was "no big deal" and at least a dry heat.... do we know if she was from a hot humid area? Portugal is also sunny and hot....

If she's from the Szechuan speaking province(s), then yes, it would be a hot humid heat and Morongo would seem like a change (hard for me to say "refreshing" but yet, I can handle dry, high altitude heat). Morongo would have seemed pretty normal to her, I'd think.

Portugal is indeed sunny and hot - but I think the Mojave is hotter (and drier). Portugal is on the coast. While California obviously has a coast, Palm Springs/Joshua Tree are not near it. There's no ocean up behind the Mojave either (whereas the Iberian peninsula is surrounding on three sides by water).

However, I am not sure exactly where Fang Jin is from - only that the Chinese language links here are from the Szechuan (southern, hot, humid) parts of China.

It's my understanding that parts of the American south (like NC, SC, VI and of course, FL) are hot and humid - and people say that our western Mojave is easier to deal with.

IMO.

The USA B1/B2 VISAs both have maximum allowed stays of 180 days. Their terms are essentially the same. The allowed time is actually determined at the time of arrival in the US, after review by Dept Homeland Security officials. A B1/B2 VISA for a Chinese citizen must be obtained at a US Consulate in China.

The VISA Waiver Program allows stays of up to 90 days without a VISA and is only applicable to passport holders of specific countries, mostly European. The VWP entry is under the ESTA Program which is an on-line application and does not require a visit to a US consulate.

Chinese passport holders are not eligible for Visa Waiver Program entry and must obtain a US VISA that will require a visit to the US Consulate.

RBBM

Woah.

So, we have several possibilities right now:

1. The person contacting FJ's relatives and friends is JRF

2. The person contacting FJ's relatives and friends is an accomplice.

3. Unknown. Not enough information exists to form a third hypothesis.

JMVHO.

I think, maybe, the person who contacted her relatives/friends is someone who is trying to protect Fitz's situation (if needed) a kind of pre-emptive help. What I mean is...y'know when someone *advertiser censored**s up and they get a friend in to help cover up the situation...well I just think someone is trying to help him but maybe unaware of what has happened.

It's obviously one of 3 things, one being accident/car breakdown in dessert and they succumbed to the elements...they are both no longer with us. An ex-Seal who I briefly chatted with said Fitz was very capable with survival skills

2. another option could be for a number of reasons, things between them took a turn for the worse and, well...he caused her demise

3. someone/gang, for whatever reason, vehicle hijack, robbery - left them for dead

I just don't get why there's a thought that they went intentionally missing together. My friends & family know I'd NEVER do that, just as Jin's family know that she wouldn't

So...going by the small info I learned from the former Seal - John is very capable and he seemed confident he could get out of anything...

What if a guy closer to him than the guy I talked with, someone he'd served with - they are brothers and have each other's backs. This guy thinks "no way was there an accident, Fitz must've snapped and..."

So this guy who has his back then contacts family etc to (a) find out what they know (b) derail positive leads with the intention of assisting after the fact but maybe without being asked...or maybe even contact had been made.

I don't know of course...this is all hypothetical what ifs

I don't believe she will be found alive because I don't believe she'd do that to her daughter and there really isn't any other answer

This article is a translation from Chinese and similar to others I have seen shared here except:

"John Fetter, an American male netizen she'd known online for months, live-streamed Trek's meet and greet"

Did this article mean JRF instead of John Fetter? Or is this a new person to the story? And there was a livestream of a meet and greet? First I have heard of it.

I think, maybe, the person who contacted her relatives/friends is someone who is trying to protect Fitz's situation (if needed) a kind of pre-emptive help. What I mean is...y'know when someone *advertiser censored**s up and they get a friend in to help cover up the situation...well I just think someone is trying to help him but maybe unaware of what has happened.

It's obviously one of 3 things, one being accident/car breakdown in dessert and they succumbed to the elements...they are both no longer with us. An ex-Seal who I briefly chatted with said Fitz was very capable with survival skills

2. another option could be for a number of reasons, things between them took a turn for the worse and, well...he caused her demise

3. someone/gang, for whatever reason, vehicle hijack, robbery - left them for dead

I just don't get why there's a thought that they went intentionally missing together. My friends & family know I'd NEVER do that, just as Jin's family know that she wouldn't

RBBM

I think you are correct.

(sigh)

Several things jumped out at me:

1. The above-linked article indicates JRF was in violation of his parole regulations (which we knew, but still is disconcerting reading).

2. On 07/22/23, police checked "the monitoring" (video, most likely) and found "they had camped at the thermal energy campground."

3. The park police (National Park Police? Forest Rangers?) indicate JRF's mobile phone signal last pinged "in the wilderness of California Julian's town".

https://min.news/en/world/cd0dc30b6b582357c745498f78ec4e4e.html

Firstly, which campground is the "thermal energy" campground"? Are there several camping areas in the Thermal region with hot springs (if that's what thermal means)? And, are the police certain both FJ and JRF camped at the thermal springs camping area?

Secondly, if the above-linked article is accurate, did JRF's phone actually ping in the "wilderness"? Close to Julian? Where?

Too many questions and no answers.

I'm off to check camping areas around Thermal, CA.

ETA: Here's a map of hot springs around the Thermal area.

thermal springs california map - Google Search

JMVHO.

Last edited:
This article is a translation from Chinese and similar to others I have seen shared here except:

"John Fetter, an American male netizen she'd known online for months, live-streamed Trek's meet and greet"

Did this article mean JRF instead of John Fetter? Or is this a new person to the story? And there was a livestream of a meet and greet? First I have heard of it.
Guessing that's just really bad translating. For 'they first communicated on the Internet'.

Jmo

This Chinese-language BCBay.com article 8/13/23 has a couple of images I haven’t seen prior.

One: there’s a screenshot of Fang’s ‘Moments’ (photos with captions. A function of WeChat) that she shared. Dates of July 14, 15 & 16 can be seen.

Second: I believe, is a photo of a shopping plaza in Palm Springs. I see a street sign, “La Plaza”. Could be a stock photo, but then again, maybe it’s one Fang took?

It looks like translation issues. I think the livestream sentence meant they zoomed or facetimed prior to meeting.

Also, one of the previous Chinese Media articles noted that the Julian phone ping information came from the Park Ranger at the Thermal Campground.

It looks like translation issues. I think the livestream sentence meant they zoomed or facetimed prior to meeting.

Also, one of the previous Chinese Media articles noted that the Julian phone ping information came from the Park Ranger at the Thermal Campground.

RBBM

Okay, but apologies, I don't see a campground specifically named, "Thermal Campground".

I could be wrong; if so, please let me know.

ETA: I wonder if they have obtained a search warrant for his trailer in the Morongo Basin.

JMVHO.

RBBM

Okay, but apologies, I don't see a campground specifically named, "Thermal Campground".

I could be wrong; if so, please let me know.

ETA: I wonder if they have obtained a search warrant for his trailer in the Morongo Basin.

JMVHO.
I believe the photo of his truck was from a campground in or near Thermal, CA. Thermal is the name of the town.

And apparently it was a park ranger who told Fang‘s daughter that his phone pinged in Julian, CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08