CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just another random thought that just popped in my head, here. Regarding the F Stanberry unclaimed property, why would it only have an initial instead of a name? I don't think I have ever seen a payroll check made out to "J. Smith" or "P. Jones" and I would think a bank might question that when it was being deposited. I could be wrong about that.

But then I remembered he was referred to somewhere as F. Wade Stanberry and wonder if the "F Stanberry" was just a clerical error by the State, and they just didn't enter the middle name?

I guess I am just pondering whether the F Wade reference makes it any more likely that F Stanberry is him.
I don't know much about this, but your logic does make perfect sense. I am not sure how paychecks would have worked back then but yes, you would think that the whole name would be needed to pay the check in. Even an address etc are not listed...I wonder if it was indeed a clerical error while being entered. I wonder how much information the unclaimed property people would actually share?
In one of his missing person ads in the SF Chronicle RC had referred to him as "F. Wade Stanberry" which always struck me as odd unless he was referred to as "Wade". I can't think of another time you would use a person's middle name over their first name? I think you're right, it does make it more likely it is him.

NamUs #MP19942

Farren Wade Stanberry, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactMay 1, 1980
Missing FromJohn Day, Oregon
Missing Age18 Years
Current Age61 Years

Demographics
Missing Age
18 Years
Current Age
61 Years
First Name
Farren
Middle Name
Wade
Last Name
Stanberry
Nickname/Alias
--
Sex
Male
Height
5' 10" (70 Inches)
Weight
165 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
White / Caucasian
Circumstances
Date of Last Contact
May 1, 1980
NamUs Case Created
April 11, 2013
Last Known Location Map
County
Grant County
Missing From Tribal Land
--
Primary Residence on Tribal Land
--
Circumstances of Disappearance
Farren left his John Day, Oregon home in 1979, telling his family he wanted to see the world. He traveled around the East Coast, calling his grandmother regularly. He last contacted her from a hotel in San Francisco in May or June 1980. His grandmother called the hotel a few weeks later and learned that he had left abruptly without paying his bill, and leaving his personal belongings and identification behind.
Physical Description
Hair Color
Brown
Head Hair Description
--
Body Hair Description
--
Facial Hair Description
--
Left Eye Color
Hazel
Right Eye Color
Hazel
Eye Description
--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark Scar on abdomen
Hey @Satch further to his NamUs info above

Yes DNA is on file and was given by his mother so everyone on NamUs with DNA is an automatic rule out. And yes his dentals are also on file too. So either we haven't yet found him on NamUs (unlikely as I know many of us have looked), his body was never entered into NamUS, his body was identified as someone else or his body has never been found.
Although his appendix scar is usually listed, I have never come across a reference to him having 2 healed broken wrists which is weird because I think this would be easily identifiable from a pathologists perpective.

The dates are all over the place, even on here. I have no idea where that May 1st date even came from as it doesn't seem to have any significance at all?

ETA--Perhaps most importantly I just did a search on NamUS for missing males in San Francisco from 1980-Farren does not come up at all. You have to search Oregon to find him as he is listed as missing from John Day! This is not helpful at all and could actually be damaging.

Last edited:
Hey @Satch further to his NamUs info above

Yes DNA is on file and was given by his mother so everyone on NamUs with DNA is an automatic rule out. And yes his dentals are also on file too. So either we haven't yet found him on NamUs (unlikely as I know many of us have looked), his body was never entered into NamUS, his body was identified as someone else or his body has never been found.
Although his appendix scar is usually listed, I have never come across a reference to him having 2 healed broken wrists which is weird because I think this would be easily identifiable from a pathologists perpective.

The dates are all over the place, even on here. I have no idea where that May 1st date even came from as it doesn't seem to have any significance at all?

ETA--Perhaps most importantly I just did a search on NamUS for missing males in San Francisco from 1980-Farren does not come up at all. You have to search Oregon to find him as he is listed as missing from John Day! This is not helpful at all and could actually be damaging.
Thanks!

Do we have the power to contact NameUs to get this corrected? Or can that only come from a LE agency?

Satch

Hi everyone,

Not exactly relevant-but interesting nonetheless I thought. I just stumbled upon this obituary for Farren's Dad, Melvin C. Stanberry, that I hadn't seen before, that gives a different side of him-rather than being the wild "mountain man" this has him as a lover of nature and keen helper of less fortunate people and a keen photographer (so there must be better photos of Farren somewhere!):

ETA-Sorry you need to do a search for "Melvin" on the link, it won't take you syraight to him. Here's a snippet:

1688804107910.png

Last edited:
Thanks!

Do we have the power to contact NameUs to get this corrected? Or can that only come from a LE agency?

Satch
I believe anyone in the US who is registered can contact the case manager-
1688803804088.png

I wouldn't count on getting a response though! Wasn't there a WS member who worked for NamUS? Are they still around?

I believe anyone in the US who is registered can contact the case manager-
View attachment 433509

I wouldn't count on getting a response though! Wasn't there a WS member who worked for NamUS? Are they still around?
@Ciriii57,

Not sure if a WS member once worked for them or not. I would suggest replying here first if you contact them about Farren's case, so that a whole bunch of people aren't inquiring with the same questions.

<modsnip>

Satch

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ciriii57,

Not sure if a WS member once worked for them or not. I would suggest replying here first if you contact them about Farren's case, so that a whole bunch of people aren't inquiring with the same questions.

<modsnip>

Satch
<modsnip>

Regarding NamUs-I will be unable to contact them as I am not a US citizen and "technicallly" cannot be a registered member (a rule I sidestepped shhhh) ;)

Regarding the Unclaimed Property Index. They encourage members of the public to sleuth and find people who have unclaimed money. They have downloadable spreadhsheets of all unclaimed property so I downloaded them hoping they may contain more information (they didn't really :( ):
This is Farren's Wells fargo Account.
1688812004811.png

This is the unclaimed paycheck for F. Stanberry
1688812256198.png

The Holder's address for the Marriott Paycheck is the HQ of Marriott International, which used to be Marriott Corporation HQ. I thought it might list the business address in SF ...no such luck.
I also thought I had found Farren's bank's address but this was Wells Fargo HQ as well as a bank so it may have been, but it also may not...

So, since the Unclaimed Properties People encourage "heir hunters" I am hoping that may be willing to share if they know anything more about this account so I will send them an email in the hopes they can tell me something more, at least where the paycheck originated would be helpful!
If that fails then any US citizen can make a free request for information about any of their records, you just do it via their website where all the details are -though it says it can take 180 days so best start soon haha

Regarding the Unclaimed Property Index. They encourage members of the public to sleuth and find people who have unclaimed money. They have downloadable spreadhsheets of all unclaimed property so I downloaded them hoping they may contain more information (they didn't really :( ):
This is Farren's Wells fargo Account.
View attachment 433517

This is the unclaimed paycheck for F. Stanberry
View attachment 433518

The Holder's address for the Marriott Paycheck is the HQ of Marriott International, which used to be Marriott Corporation HQ. I thought it might list the business address in SF ...no such luck.
I also thought I had found Farren's bank's address but this was Wells Fargo HQ as well as a bank so it may have been, but it also may not...

So, since the Unclaimed Properties People encourage "heir hunters" I am hoping that may be willing to share if they know anything more about this account so I will send them an email in the hopes they can tell me something more, at least where the paycheck originated would be helpful!
If that fails then any US citizen can make a free request for information about any of their records, you just do it via their website where all the details are -though it says it can take 180 days so best start soon haha

Hmm, the Marriott address in Bethesda, MD is interesting. Since there is no address for F Stanberry, they had to have more information to know that this belonged in the Unclaimed property from California, I'd think....

Hmm, the Marriott address in Bethesda, MD is interesting. Since there is no address for F Stanberry, they had to have more information to know that this belonged in the Unclaimed property from California, I'd think....
Omg yes of course, they had to know where it came from didn't they! Even if they only knew it was California because the workplace returned it to the accounts department at HQ then they must have known which workplace it came from originally.
So there must be more information somewhere...there has to be because if you went to claim that paycheck back then they'd need to verify it's you, they'd need more than just an initial F.

Anyway I have sent them a message to ask if they can give anymore info at all, even just a date or city of origin. So hopefully I'll hear back.
<modsnip>

Oh forgot to mention- I also found out that a company has to wait a minimum of 3 years before turning it over to the state. They also have to show that they have made every effort to get the money to the person.
So the date could be important

Hi everyone,

Not exactly relevant-but interesting nonetheless I thought. I just stumbled upon this obituary for Farren's Dad, Melvin C. Stanberry, that I hadn't seen before, that gives a different side of him-rather than being the wild "mountain man" this has him as a lover of nature and keen helper of less fortunate people and a keen photographer (so there must be better photos of Farren somewhere!):

ETA-Sorry you need to do a search for "Melvin" on the link, it won't take you syraight to him. Here's a snippet:

View attachment 433511
Oh WOW @Ciriii57!

I am so happy you posted this! Just reading this now! Please read this everyone! (I am also going to save this.) It shows a different, loving, caring side of Farren's Dad, Melvin, who enjoyed helping people and living as a part of nature and interacting with it in a beautiful way! I think this is VERY RELEVANT, because it shows a lot of Farren's personality in Melvin. The fact that he was so much more than some "Mountain Man" speaks volumes!

Interesting that he once managed a motel! Now I really wonder how much contact Farren had with his father? I am sure that Farren inherited his father's love of nature and adventure,with Farren wanting to "see the world." Thanks for this!

Satch

Oh WOW @Ciriii57!

I am so happy you posted this! Just reading this now! Please read this everyone! (I am also going to save this.) It shows a different, loving, caring side of Farren's Dad, Melvin, who enjoyed helping people and living as a part of nature and interacting with it in a beautiful way! I think this is VERY RELEVANT, because it shows a lot of Farren's personality in Melvin. The fact that he was so much more than some "Mountain Man" speaks volumes!

Interesting that he once managed a motel! Now I really wonder how much contact Farren had with his father? I am sure that Farren inherited his father's love of nature and adventure,with Farren wanting to "see the world." Thanks for this!

Satch
Yes! I must say I was also struck by the similarities. The wanderlust and desire to travel, the adventurous nature, his probable love of nature (cycling and exploring barns in John Day), right down to the motel connection and that Melvin went missing and had an accidental death caused by him exploring.
I also like to imagine Farren looked out for the underdog.
Also interesting to find out that Farren had some half brothers and sisters who I've never heard of. I'd love to know if how much time he spent with his Dad and if they were close, the evidence says no but we don't have the whole story.

Hi everyone,

View attachment 433511
Fantastic research.
The information about his Dad is pretty mind-blowing to me tbh. yikes

Ok I'm just throwing these thoughts into the mix for consideration:

Knowing that Farren's Dad went missing and was found to have died an accidental death while exploring a drainage pipe (odd coincidence) and knowing that Farren was pretty adventurous but also somewhat accident prone, what are the chances that:

1) He went exploring somewhere and had a fatal accident. I'm wondering how likely it is that someone could die somewhere in a big city and still not be found all these years later? Are there such places in big cities like SF? Or that he was found many years later....has anyone ever checked UIDs found more recently but were believed to have died long ago?

2) Farren just took himself off somewhere to live in nature -perhaps dying elsewhere later (this I find unlikely just for the lack of contact with family)

Just throwing some ideas out as an alternative to foul play that's all.

1) He went exploring somewhere and had a fatal accident. I'm wondering how likely it is that someone could die somewhere in a big city and still not be found all these years later? Are there such places in big cities like SF? Or that he was found many years later....has anyone ever checked UIDs found more recently but were believed to have died long ago?

I am very doubtful that he could have died as a result of an accident in San Francisco without being found. Possibly in the ocean or on one of the islands nearby like Alcatraz or Angel Island? Alcatraz seems unlikely too, as it's a big tourist attraction.

I'm not at all familiar with Marin County (across the Golden Gate Bridge) but there could be some areas there where it might be possible. If he crossed the Bay Bridge he would have ended up in Oakland, which is also a pretty big city but not so walkable that there would be swarms of people out walking around. I'm not even sure if you can cross the Bay Bridge on foot though.

NamUs #MP19942

Farren Wade Stanberry, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactMay 1, 1980
Missing FromJohn Day, Oregon
Missing Age18 Years
Current Age61 Years

Demographics
Missing Age
18 Years
Current Age
61 Years
First Name
Farren
Middle Name
Wade
Last Name
Stanberry
Nickname/Alias
--
Sex
Male
Height
5' 10" (70 Inches)
Weight
165 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
White / Caucasian
Circumstances
Date of Last Contact
May 1, 1980
NamUs Case Created
April 11, 2013
Last Known Location Map
County
Grant County
Missing From Tribal Land
--
Primary Residence on Tribal Land
--
Circumstances of Disappearance
Farren left his John Day, Oregon home in 1979, telling his family he wanted to see the world. He traveled around the East Coast, calling his grandmother regularly. He last contacted her from a hotel in San Francisco in May or June 1980. His grandmother called the hotel a few weeks later and learned that he had left abruptly without paying his bill, and leaving his personal belongings and identification behind.
Physical Description
Hair Color
Brown
Head Hair Description
--
Body Hair Description
--
Facial Hair Description
--
Left Eye Color
Hazel
Right Eye Color
Hazel
Eye Description
--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark Scar on abdomen
As Namus closed the identifiers section for the general public here is what we know from the Doe Network.

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

I am very doubtful that he could have died as a result of an accident in San Francisco without being found. Possibly in the ocean or on one of the islands nearby like Alcatraz or Angel Island? Alcatraz seems unlikely too, as it's a big tourist attraction.

I'm not at all familiar with Marin County (across the Golden Gate Bridge) but there could be some areas there where it might be possible. If he crossed the Bay Bridge he would have ended up in Oakland, which is also a pretty big city but not so walkable that there would be swarms of people out walking around. I'm not even sure if you can cross the Bay Bridge on foot though.
That's what I thought too, just wondered others' thoughts. And there's no evidence he went wandering off to Oakland or Marin County or had ever been anywhere other than SF.
No I agree it's very unlikely a body wouldn't have been found by now.

Guys,

Can't rule out an accident and never be found. Or found and misidentified. Or even suicide, which we kind of moved away from that. How many bodies jump off the Golden Gate bridge each year that are never found?

We moved away from suicide because of the following:

1.) Farren said he was happy there. (But people can mask their feelings when communicating with others.)

2.) We don't know his mental state.

3.) We don't know if he took recreational or prescription drugs, which altered his moods.

But it is still there for the above reasons:

More likely though, especially IF his mental state was OK and IF he did not use drugs recreationally, I don't think he would disappear voluntarily:

1.) Farren seemed to care about people and was close to his grandmother in particular.

2.) He survived, for eight to nine months on his own.

3,) It wouldn't be that hard to find another job in San Francisco at that time, certainly not within the gay community.

I believe that Farren's naviveness led him to the wrong place at the wrong time. He was killed at a "bad place." (Seeking adventure, but not aware of the city's danger.) Or had an accident that was fatal. Or he had an accident that was not fatal, but it turned fatal cuz he had no ID on him.

Satch

As Namus closed the identifiers section for the general public here is what we know from the Doe Network.

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Hey! Thank you @Bit of hope!

Can somebody please contact Doe Network, NameUS and Charlie Project to correct the incorrect dates and information about Farren? I have time today, and can write a summery of what SHOULD be there. For date missing, I would suggest, April 27/May.June 1980. Wait for my summery first. I am starting it now. Don't forget to use @Ciriii57 spreadsheet to note the change and post with a reply here so that we can all keep track!

After we get that done, someone needs to contact a Websleuths moderator to change the date for Farren missing to what we agree upon.

Satch

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader