CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah I agree.
Hi @KathPlumber You didn't post the link to the newsweek article but is this person Raymond Broshears? Because I just came across his name and wow...involved with the assassination of JFK, an evangelical preacher, tried to overthrow the US government, set up a gay militia and started the first ever gay pride parade!
This guy had LOTS of enemies in SF too!
Most probably unrelated to Farren but if this guy and the owner of The National didn't get along..well...

Unrelated to this case but again, an interesting read for those who wish to get an idea of SF at the time. The below wikipedia article is a useful breakdown of his life:
Ah sorry must have been half asleep. Yes, that was him The Most Dangerous Gay Man in America

What strikes me about this case is that Farren left rural Oregon, came all the way to SF and never seemed to make it further than the residential hotel across the street from the bus station. Farren was a handsome kid and I am reminded of predators that make it their business to prey on naive kids arriving in the big city by bus. I wonder if Farren met someone who offered to help him out by giving him a place to stay and he ended up in a bad situation.
I agree. In several Issues of the Crusader, there are calls out for people in the community who can accept guests on short notice who have just arrived in town and need a safe place to crash.

Its hard to tell exactly from reading the sensationalist and gossipy writing in the Crusader, but there’s repeated allusions to cops (including drug and homicide cops) who were openly anti-gay, didn’t want to help them at all, thought their were undermining the community, and generally seeming to believe they ran the town themselves. I’ll try to post links…

The main thing that keeps me iffy on him leaving for work is that nobody seemed to ask where he worked. Especially if the police got that info directly from the roommates, it just seems like the obvious next step would be to call the job to see if he ever arrived.

I do think his roommates said that and I don't think anyone is lying but I can't wrap my head around the police not thinking to check with his employer. The grandmother, maybe... but the police? Just seems odd to me.
I had never considered that, totally agree with you...I also can't understand why they wouldn't check these things out! No record of names, workplaces...nothing! I would think even the Grandma would have enquired where he worked and tried to call them? (I know I would!)

How possible is it that no one knew where he worked?
Or
How possible that he went out to "find work" instead and met foul play by a potential employer? I know I have read similar cases where someone has been "lured" in this way?

I have never had roommates but can anyone here with firsthand experience of sharing say whether his roommates would have known for sure where he was and whathe was doing?

In my most recent message to Sgt Rand I had asked specifically about checks on Farrens Social securirty and bank account because surely these would reveal where he worked? But he has gone quiet on me...I am hoping it's not because these checks were never made and he doesn't want to say so.

it just seems like the obvious next step would be to call the job to see if he ever arrived.
Forgot to say-I wish we could find out if that unclaimed Paycheck was Farren...I just wish there was a way to know for sure!
Please remind me, (sorry, I know it was a long time ago), but you had said that when you checked there weren't many F.Stanberrys in California. Can you remember approx. how many? Are we talking a few or tens, twenties?
I just think if we had an idea WHEN it was from we could probably work out the rest ourselves from phonebooks to see who was around in 1980 and then eliminate from there.
What would the chances be of the unclaimed property people at least giving us the approx. date-not any personal info? Or at least confirming that it referred to the same person as his Wells Fargo account? I figure they must have more info since they have to have a way to check who it belongs to if you try to claim it back.

Forgot to say-I wish we could find out if that unclaimed Paycheck was Farren...I just wish there was a way to know for sure!
Please remind me, (sorry, I know it was a long time ago), but you had said that when you checked there weren't many F.Stanberrys in California. Can you remember approx. how many? Are we talking a few or tens, twenties?
I just think if we had an idea WHEN it was from we could probably work out the rest ourselves from phonebooks to see who was around in 1980 and then eliminate from there.
What would the chances be of the unclaimed property people at least giving us the approx. date-not any personal info? Or at least confirming that it referred to the same person as his Wells Fargo account? I figure they must have more info since they have to have a way to check who it belongs to if you try to claim it back.
I'm pretty sure there were 4 F Stanberry's and if I remember correctly the other 3 were in Southern California.

I don't think Sgt Rand would be unwilling to admit that things weren't checked back in 1980. One of them, I can't recall whether Rand or Tirico expressed frustration that they hadn't done anything but take a report.

I am very reluctant to say this because I am doubting my memory a bit, but I do have a vague recollection of one of the two officers telling me the name of the gay man who died of AIDS. I can't be 100% sure because I was looking into several cases at the time, but I seem to recall another really common name and thinking I had found his death record in Stockton in the early 1990s but wasn't sure if it was the right one. I don't think it seemed particularly useful to me at the time because I was sure he was the attic guy. But it might be worth asking Rand if he knows the guys name, if you talk to him again. I think it might be in the file.

I am very reluctant to say this because I am doubting my memory a bit, but I do have a vague recollection of one of the two officers telling me the name of the gay man who died of AIDS. I can't be 100% sure because I was looking into several cases at the time, but I seem to recall another really common name and thinking I had found his death record in Stockton in the early 1990s but wasn't sure if it was the right one. I don't think it seemed particularly useful to me at the time because I was sure he was the attic guy. But it might be worth asking Rand if he knows the guys name, if you talk to him again. I think it might be in the file.
Well I certainly trust your memory, you've been spot on with everything so far! If you could ever pluck that name from your memory that would be amazing haha

I have mentioned the gay man several times to Sgt Rand and he has never, ever even referenced it which is why I thought he didn't have any information.
I must say I am nervous about contacting Sgt Rand as he hasn't responded and I feel he might think I'm bothersome...but with this info I might have to! ...he did specifically say he would share anything in the file!
Although this man is dead, it could still be helpful to know who and where he was at the time. And I guess a confirmation of his existence and that Farren was gay.

Well I certainly trust your memory, you've been spot on with everything so far! If you could ever pluck that name from your memory that would be amazing haha

I have mentioned the gay man several times to Sgt Rand and he has never, ever even referenced it which is why I thought he didn't have any information.
I must say I am nervous about contacting Sgt Rand as he hasn't responded and I feel he might think I'm bothersome...but with this info I might have to! ...he did specifically say he would share anything in the file!
Although this man is dead, it could still be helpful to know who and where he was at the time. And I guess a confirmation of his existence and that Farren was gay.
Agree @Ciriii57,

If we can find out who this alleged person was, it solves some of the puzzle! I think 100% that Farren was gay, so much so that I would even put that in the things we now definitely know. @Ciriii57 Why aren't you convinced that Farren was gay? At least he was certainly more than just curious about the gay community?

Satch

Ok I faced my fear and emailed Sgt Rand. Every body please keep everything crossed we get a response! Or the name comes to @Odyssey in a dream haha

Why aren't you convinced that Farren was gay?
Oh I basically am, I think it's almost certain he was. But, we don't know for an absolute fact until we hear positive evidence from someone who knew him. I don't want to 100% label him until it's certain. That's all

Tenderloin Times (April/May 1980) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet ArchiveHere is an interesting grass-roots type publication of a Tenderloin housing rights and support group from April 1980. A very different take on the suburb, the hotel and the issues facing the community. The same editor seems to run the same organisation today… so I have emailed them. (Don’t want to write name here so it’s not coming up in every single google search for them!!) Tenderloin Times (April/May 1980) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Okay, I contacted the Tenderloin Housing Clinic which is still partly run by the same guy. See above. I got back 2 lines, very quickly, not with not even greeting or anything attached, just the brief response that neither the writer nor the “other person I know from the same time” has Any recollection of Farren. No reply to my suggestion of it going in their newsletter. Guess they’re busy ?!

Okay, I contacted the Tenderloin Housing Clinic which is still partly run by the same guy. See above. I got back 2 lines, very quickly, not with not even greeting or anything attached, just the brief response that neither the writer nor the “other person I know from the same time” has Any recollection of Farren. No reply to my suggestion of it going in their newsletter. Guess they’re busy ?!
Hi @KathPlumber i think that @Mfleish had already contacted them and perhaps that is why they were so abrupt? Her contact was a lady with initials MD.
Funnily enough I had come across a book written by the director or the THC,Randy Shaw, and it seems that he has written several books specifically about the Tenderloin.
I also had a disappointing exchange with The Bay Area Reporter, after answering lots of her questions, quite personal ones, she just sent "ok, thanks". I'm hoping there'll be more later haha

Reckon we are gonna need a spreadsheet for tracking all the places we’ve contacted ?
That's not a bad idea at all, I'm currently writing everything down (still prefer paper and pen). Can we create an open one we can all access and edit and add to? Perhaps different tabs for media contacts, historical contacts, LE/MEs, individuals from 1980, places the MP poster has been sent (anymore?)
And then columns with organisation name, contact name, date of contact and outcome/response received?

Is anyone willing and able to do this? I can have a go later but I'm no expert with Excel so I bow to others' skill!

Last edited:
Hi @KathPlumber i think that @Mfleish had already contacted them and perhaps that is why they were so abrupt? Her contact was a lady with initials MD.
Funnily enough I had come across a book written by the director or the THC,Randy Shaw, and it seems that he has written several books specifically about the Tenderloin.
I contacted Randy direct, but yeah maybe he was still annoyed by the double up.
Significant to me that someone as connected as RS can only refer to the 1 person they know from “that time.” Compare this to the communities in Australia where everyone is still connected and knows each other. We lost relatively few to AIDS thanks to amazing public health activism learned from our brothers and sisters in the USA. The SF community really took a thumping in the 1980s and what a sad thing that is.

I also had a disappointing exchange with The Bay Area Reporter, after answering lots of her questions, quite personal ones, she just sent "ok, thanks". I'm hoping there'll be more later haha
Yeah jeez considering her personal inquiries! Maybe she was wondering what our motives were: I guess not everyone sleuths in their spare time as a hobby! Haha they should tho.

Speaking from my own experiences those of us in the gay community can be pretty protective of our own and worried about people’s motives. And there is a lot of homophobia around in North America these days. Sigh. So I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if these inquiries make some people feel nervous or defensive or protective. This is just a general observation, based on my own life experiences and my research experiences.

Thank you! Ok well I am gonna start entering info then. The rest of you please feel free too.
always a chance that some random will mess w it but I guess if you just keep an eye on it?!
Didn't think about that! But I don't think there is another way to do it so that we can all access it, but someone more knowledgable might know. Oh well if someone messes it up that speaks volumes about them really!

Do we know what religious denomination Farren was, beyond just Christian? Ie. Baptist, Methodist or other. Some of the old gay community newspapers have services and ministers listed.

Yes we do actually! Farren was "Assembly of God" if I'm not mistaken. It's an Evangelical Pentecostal Church. His uncle had made enquiries with the church in case his name came up as a member, but it didn't. Still worth following up though.

Guys,

Hey All! I am going out on a limb here and providing a link to the San Francisco Police Department. Missing Persons | San Francisco Police Department

Questions and Ideas that we can either take or toss:

1.) How can we get information to them based on our research of the Farren Stanberry case? They simply need to create a file for Farren! If we can get what John Day Oregon knows, and what we know about the case to them, it really could open up doors to get more information to them.

2.) Anybody here from LE that would have any tips about contacting them with what we know?

3.) What about sending @Ciriii57 Missing Person's Poster of Farren to them, and asking them to put it up in their precinct!

4.) I wonder if Sergent Rand could copy Farren's case files and send them to SFPD? (That is assuming after all these years, they still don't have them?)

<modsnip>

Satch

<modsnip>

Satch

Last edited by a moderator:
3.) What about sending @Ciriii57 Missing Person's Poster of Farren to them, and asking them to put it up in their precinct!
I must admit, this had crossed my mind. I noticed they had a cold case department as well but yes missing persons makes more sense. And I bet they do have a board up in their precinct.
Sending the missing person poster might be an excellent opener in order to ask further questions too; such as if they actually have a report of even if they ever received it.
I can try tomorrow, but if someone else wants to please feel free, just let us know.
As always -great thinking @Satch

Guys,

What is the status of Farren Stanberry in Name US? Do they have DNA samples? dental records? Information on his broken wrists? Appendectomy scar? Can someone please post a link? Also the following need correction from all agencies if they are still in error:

April 26, 1980- The last time Farren spoke to family by phone. Even Websleuths has this as April 24, 1980. That date is wrong.

May 1, 1980- Reported in error by many sites as the date Farren went missing. This date actually is in error, and based on the current research we have on Farren's case, means nothing as of July 7, 2023.

June 16, 1980- The date that Farren's grandmother reported him missing to John Day Oregon Police Department. Our research shows that no sites or social media outlets have this correct date anywhere

Some sites incorrectly have Farren missing from John Day Oregon, which is incorrect. He did not go missing until he arrived in San Francisco California.

Satch

What is the status of Farren Stanberry in Name US?
NamUs #MP19942

Farren Wade Stanberry, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactMay 1, 1980
Missing FromJohn Day, Oregon
Missing Age18 Years
Current Age61 Years

Demographics
Missing Age
18 Years
Current Age
61 Years
First Name
Farren
Middle Name
Wade
Last Name
Stanberry
Nickname/Alias
--
Sex
Male
Height
5' 10" (70 Inches)
Weight
165 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
White / Caucasian
Circumstances
Date of Last Contact
May 1, 1980
NamUs Case Created
April 11, 2013
Last Known Location Map
County
Grant County
Missing From Tribal Land
--
Primary Residence on Tribal Land
--
Circumstances of Disappearance
Farren left his John Day, Oregon home in 1979, telling his family he wanted to see the world. He traveled around the East Coast, calling his grandmother regularly. He last contacted her from a hotel in San Francisco in May or June 1980. His grandmother called the hotel a few weeks later and learned that he had left abruptly without paying his bill, and leaving his personal belongings and identification behind.
Physical Description
Hair Color
Brown
Head Hair Description
--
Body Hair Description
--
Facial Hair Description
--
Left Eye Color
Hazel
Right Eye Color
Hazel
Eye Description
--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Scar/mark Scar on abdomen

Just another random thought that just popped in my head, here. Regarding the F Stanberry unclaimed property, why would it only have an initial instead of a name? I don't think I have ever seen a payroll check made out to "J. Smith" or "P. Jones" and I would think a bank might question that when it was being deposited. I could be wrong about that.

But then I remembered he was referred to somewhere as F. Wade Stanberry and wonder if the "F Stanberry" was just a clerical error by the State, and they just didn't enter the middle name?

I guess I am just pondering whether the F Wade reference makes it any more likely that F Stanberry is him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back