CA - Five killed, 4 injured in Santa Monica shooting spree, 7 June 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder where the shooter's mom was during all of this. I am kind of surprised she wasn't included in his victim list. She probably wishes she was, given the horror of the situation she is left with now. :rose:

I wonder where the shooter's mom was during all of this. I am kind of surprised she wasn't included in his victim list. She probably wishes she was, given the horror of the situation she is left with now. :rose:

In one article I read earlier said she was out of the country when the shooting occurred. That's why it took so long to notify 'the family,' I believe. She cut her trip short as soon as she heard the news. ............ Don't know WHAT country she was in though.

hth
fran

In one article I read earlier said she was out of the country when the shooting occurred. That's why it took so long to notify 'the family,' I believe. She cut her trip short as soon as she heard the news. ............ Don't know WHAT country she was in though.

hth
fran

That's horrible. I cannot imagine how difficult and gut wrenching that return trip home must have been. She essentially lost both of her sons, her ex, and she has to live with knowing the deaths of the others are on her son's hands too. My heart goes out to her.

As fifth rampage victim dies, Santa Monica College struggles to cope

The shooter's mother is back in California:

Authorities are still trying to determine what caused John Zawahri, 23, to open fire on Santa Monica streets before ending up on the campus, where he was killed in a shootout with police. Law enforcement sources have said he was suffering from mental problems. Sources said Sunday that his mother, who was out of the country when the shooting occurred, is now back in California.

More about the Francos, including this sad/poignant comment re Marcela...

"She was smart, obviously really pretty, and just very loving," said Marcela's boyfriend, Ryan Payne, 26, who also spent the weekend by her side. They had been dating exclusively for only about a month, but "it's been the best month of my life," he said.

Also to note...The article link for donating is currently returning a Not Found error. This is a new and good link, for those inclined...

https://foundation.smc.edu/giving/giving---franco-memorial-fund

~jmo~

The article said the killer had a run in with the law as a juvenile. He must have been another madman who should have been institutionalized long ago.

There are some similarities with the Adam Lanza shooting in CT. Son with mental issues, divorced parents, and the mentally ill son living with the mother. And the access to guns and ammunition.

How does someone with known mental issues get access to guns and massive amounts of ammunition? Did the family buy these things for him?

There are some similarities with the Adam Lanza shooting in CT. Son with mental issues, divorced parents, and the mentally ill son living with the mother. And the access to guns and ammunition.

How does someone with known mental issues get access to guns and massive amounts of ammunition? Did the family buy these things for him?
In Lanza's case, his mother was purchasing all the weapons. Don't know what the case is here. But.
Somebody can have known mental health issues. It doesn't necessarily prevents them from legally purchasing a weapon. As long as they weren't ordered by a judge to spend time in a mental institution, their mental health issues won't even show up on a background check.

Santa Monica College reopens after deadly rampage

TAMI ABDOLLAH, AP
29 minutes ago

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — Santa Monica College reopened under extra security Monday except for the library, where police shot and killed a heavily armed gunman after a rampage that left five people dead.

Students who fled Friday would be able to resume final examinations and retrieve backpacks, car and other belongings, according to the college website.

Counselors were on hand and a candlelight vigil was planned for Monday evening in front of the library.

Investigators, meanwhile, were trying to determine why John Zawahri, 23, killed his father and older brother in a home near campus Friday, leaving the house in flames. He fired at a car, wounding the driver, took another motorist hostage and forced her to drive as he shot at people and a bus in the neighborhood. He shot a woman in the head on campus and was shot and killed by police in the college library after gunning down a total of five people in fewer than 15 minutes...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130610/US--Santa.Monica.Shooting/

I heard this morning on HLN that he did not live with his mother but lived with his father and brother.

IMO

John Zawahri, Santa Monica Gunman, Penned Apology Note, Police Say

(VIDEO/PHOTOS)
Huffington Post
By TAMI ABDOLLAH 06/13/13 11:58 PM ET EDT
Associated Press

"LOS ANGELES -- John Zawahri left a farewell note in which he expressed remorse for killing his father and brother but left no explanation for the rampage that left them and three others dead in Santa Monica, police said Thursday."

"The three- to four-page handwritten note was found on Zawahri's body after he was shot and killed ..."

Also

— Zawahri apparently built his own .223-caliber assault rifle.

— Zawahri's mother was out of the country visiting family in Lebanon during Friday's rampage.

— The semi-automatic weapon appears to have been built with component parts that are legal to obtain, but put together make the rifle illegal in California.

— He also modified an antique black-powder .44 revolver so that it could hold .45-caliber ammunition.

More...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back