CA - Girls set cat on fire, cat fighting for life. Santa Rosa, 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
While I think that the girls should have to pay for the vet bills, or maybe work off their debt at the vets office, I have to think that the parents should hold some sort of responsibility as well. In the county, and those surrounding, there has been a big push for parents being responsible if minors are drinking at their house (even if they're not home and unaware). I don't think it should be any different if you child lights a cat on fire and laughs while they watch it burn.

Those teenagers knew what they were doing and are completely responsible for their own actions. I hope they're prosecuted to the fullest extent for committing such a hateful, brutal crime.

Not only am I disgusted with the girls who did this, but my anger extends to their families who have said nothing. They have not apologized for their daughters behaviors, made a donation to the care of Adam, etc. I can understand that it could be to protect the identity of the girls, but they could do so anonymously.

Why be angry at the families - they well could have donated anonymously to Adam's care.

I actually work for my county's animal shelter. We do try to be a low kill shelter, since many animals have their issues and just can't be placed. I hate to say it but this poor kitty would have been euthanized had it been brought into our door. It's just not in our budget to spend that kind of money on a single animal that is/was obviously suffering compared to how many other animals, we could have used the same funds for, to house and place them.

I actually work for my county's animal shelter. We do try to be a low kill shelter, since many animals have their issues and just can't be placed. I hate to say it but this poor kitty would have been euthanized had it been brought into our door. It's just not in our budget to spend that kind of money on a single animal that is/was obviously suffering compared to how many other animals, we could have used the same funds for, to house and place them.

We have a no-kill shelter here in Dallas called Operation Kindness and THAT is where badly injured and abused animals like Adam end up. They actually find that contributions often exceed the care costs and the money left then goes to save MORE animals. Not to mention their adoptions go WAY up when they get publicity for saving an animal. Vets here often donate care costs - charge only for supplies and meds, etc. Saving a badly injured animal like Adam does NOT always mean that the money only goes to care for THAT animal and aside from the expenses the resulting PR and adoption benefits often OUTWEIGH any costs. One "Hero" often results in adoptions of a hundred OTHER dogs & cats at the shelter. Everyone wins!

Everything is not always black and white - spending big money to save ONE animal can have benefits that spread to ALL the animals at the shelter. Saving Adam may get MANY kitties a forever home. The money it is costing is the LEAST of the issue.

Euthanizing an injured animal that has a CHANCE to save money for the healthy ones is not always the right choice, as Operation Kindness has proven MANY MANY times. People LOVE heroes and heroic animals and respond accordingly. Bob the Tortoise who was stolen and almost killed by his abuser has brought in hundreds of donations to Turtle Dreams - which will save so many OTHER turtles and tortoises from the wild population in the future.

We need to re-think the whole "shelter" issue in the US - no-kill shelters are the only "right" answer as far as I am concerned. Only dangerous or rabid animals should be euthanized without consideration..the rest should be given a "shot" at life.

All IMO....

Those teenagers knew what they were doing and are completely responsible for their own actions. I hope they're prosecuted to the fullest extent for committing such a hateful, brutal crime.

ditto!

My heart breaks every time I see that little guy... I hope those witches get what's coming to them...

Oh thank you so much for posting these! :clap: :clap:

Every time I hold and pet my cats I think of little Adam and pray he's going to recover and have a loving home.

that poor kitty. :(
He's so precious. Thank God he is doing better.

Those damned kids. I hope they have nightmares about what they did.
How heinous.

We have a no-kill shelter here in Dallas called Operation Kindness and THAT is where badly injured and abused animals like Adam end up. They actually find that contributions often exceed the care costs and the money left then goes to save MORE animals. Not to mention their adoptions go WAY up when they get publicity for saving an animal. Vets here often donate care costs - charge only for supplies and meds, etc. Saving a badly injured animal like Adam does NOT always mean that the money only goes to care for THAT animal and aside from the expenses the resulting PR and adoption benefits often OUTWEIGH any costs. One "Hero" often results in adoptions of a hundred OTHER dogs & cats at the shelter. Everyone wins!

Everything is not always black and white - spending big money to save ONE animal can have benefits that spread to ALL the animals at the shelter. Saving Adam may get MANY kitties a forever home. The money it is costing is the LEAST of the issue.

Euthanizing an injured animal that has a CHANCE to save money for the healthy ones is not always the right choice, as Operation Kindness has proven MANY MANY times. People LOVE heroes and heroic animals and respond accordingly. Bob the Tortoise who was stolen and almost killed by his abuser has brought in hundreds of donations to Turtle Dreams - which will save so many OTHER turtles and tortoises from the wild population in the future.

We need to re-think the whole "shelter" issue in the US - no-kill shelters are the only "right" answer as far as I am concerned. Only dangerous or rabid animals should be euthanized without consideration..the rest should be given a "shot" at life.

All IMO....

your post is the best!! You have a big heart.

I agree with you PrayersforMaura. FlowerChild's post is the best!!

He said the courts have refused to release his daughter to his custody.
"I guess they just want to make an example out of my daughter," he said. "They should be given help, not trying to get vengeance."

More at Link:
http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20070810/NEWS/708100356/1033/NEWS01

I can't even comment on this right now...
Sounds like a case of parental denial..."not my kid". Those girls are where they belong. Maybe that will be their wake up call.

Great post FlowerChild. It's very true. Cases like this raise awareness of animal cruelty and helps other animals in need.

I AGREE!!! SET THE LITTLE *advertiser censored* ON FIRE AND WE'LL ALL STAND AROUND AND LAUGH.

I hurt when I read these stories and to think that someone enjoyed it just blows my mind away!!

Can I light the torch PLEEEEAAAASSSEE?? I am one of those people who like animals better then most humans. Okay, we need a fire smilie

No, they aren't the same cats. This sudden escalation in maiming animals is very alarming. There are too many enraged adolescents and young adults running around with no sane way to deal with their anger, and they seem to believe it's okay to take it out on the helpless. Smaller adults, children and animals. It's sickening and scary.

I ust don't get this "they should be given help" thing...??? How do you HELP someone who shows such a tendency for pure evil and sadistic behavior?? Are they a helpless, unwitting victim of some random disease, like cancer...? Help me understand here.... did someone put a gun to their heads and make them do this against their will?? And, hey Dad-- why is your daughter a sociopath in the first place...??? Can you explain that?

This is just another example of our sick society trying to explain evil, deviant, sick behavior away by trying to make everyone believe that the person RESPONSIBLE (key word here!!) for THEIR ACTIONS has some kind of 'illness'. So Dad, you say,, 'the evil authorities are just trying to make an example out of my daughter,, stop picking on her'.. oh, really!! So.. you mean that's what ALL the kids are doing these days.. setting cats on fire?? And they just happened to pick out your poor, innocent little daughter to make an example? Way to go-- way to teach your kid responsibility. LOSER.

I bet the dad isn't getting his daughter back because he is in complete denial as to how serious this is. The more he spouts off how unfair this is, the more he's digging a hole for him and his daughter. What an idiot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denie67
Back