ACTIVE SEARCH CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 Mar 2018 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I would too.
But when her father, bless him!, called hearing about the incident, the cops didn´t do anything!

Maybe there's a lesson here for all of us. When in doubt about a child's welfare, who do we call? CPS?

Devonte asked the neighbors for "cured meats" so he obviously wasn't a vegan. But its hard to believe that he used that word for cold cuts or lunch meat. JMO

Maybe there's a lesson here for all of us. When in doubt about a child's welfare, who do we call? CPS?

Right. Everyone is a mandated reporter not an interpreter. Don't leave any room for adult privilege or overlooked abuse

IMO

Could be- but maybe he's a wimp and didn't want to get on wrong side of neighbors.
Bad neighbor relations can make one's life a living hell. I can understand being cautious. Again, I would not have reacted the same way they did, but it's hard to judge them.

I was out on my balcony in an apartment complex I lived once and witnessed an argument between some other neighbors--a couple. She was yelling at him to leave and he was refusing. She saw me standing on my balcony with my phone and said to him, "see that lady is witnessing that I've asked you to leave!" So after a few more minutes of them arguing, and I knew they had a young child, I called the police.

After that, the woman told everyone in the complex that I was a narc.

Ugh I was trying to help and remembered when I once was attacked in public by my ex and nobody had called anyone or helped me so I was trying to do the right thing and then all the neighbors thought I was a nosey narc. Not that I particularly cared, but still.

Devonte asked the neighbors for "cured meats" so he obviously wasn't a vegan. But its hard to believe that he used that word for cold cuts or lunch meat. JMO
I thought cured meats were more specific than lunch meat? Like, not all lunch meat is cured... I think of cured meats as those one can keep unrefrigerated. Like pepperoni and salami and jerky?

Yes. When I'm doubt, call CPS. You can remain anonymous. You can also request to speak with a screener and ask if the situation warrants a report.

https://www.newsday.com/news/nation/devonte-hart-family-crash-cliff-1.17737261

Bill Groener, 67, was a next-door neighbor of the Harts when they lived in West Linn, Oregon, and said the kids stayed indoors most of the time. He said the family didn't eat sugar, raised their own vegetables, had animals and went on camping trips.

I wonder who reported that information to him.

See, I hate that so much of this information is from random comments, like we don't KNOW they didn't have sugar, we know the neighbor reported that, but how did he know? Did the ever-so-trustworthy adults say that? Did the kids? Who?

<modsnip>

You can't assume "vegan" or even vegetarian from the fact that they didn't eat sugar. In fact, there are a number of low-carb diets which emphasize meats and vegetables as their centerpieces, which disallow sugar. The point of eating sugar-free is to avoid all of the nasty over-processed junk that's out there.

As someone else noted, Devonte asked the DeKalbs for cured meats, so my gut tells me that they didn't eat a meat-restricted diet-- when they were allowed to eat at all, that is. :(

I would call the police for a welfare check. There needs to be a witness to protect yourself. God only knows what those women might have accused the DeKalbs of!!! A girl at your door at 1:30am.......and upstairs hiding in your room?

I don´t live in America, but I would call police.
They can take it from there - better be safe than sorry (like that poor lady next door.)

Hannah first ran to a neighbour who had actually interacted with the children.
They had done little chores for him. He had a different impression than the DeKalbs. He claims he often saw them outside and they also visited him.
I think it must be him she ran to, but gates locked. He has animals on his property I think.

So she didn´t run to a total stranger initially.
Wonder what he would have done.

LOCAL
Who were the Harts, really? Mystery surrounds family that plunged off California cliff

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article208294694.html#storylink=cpy

Don't know if this has been posted...

In retrospect, Christine Denise Washington said she should have realized something was wrong with the Harts.

She first met the family in 2014 at an Ashland, Oregon, music festival — the kind that drew from a certain community. Some would call it New Age. Washington calls it a “conscious community.”

Those who were part of it wanted to spread love and acceptance, said Washington, who at the time was a dancer, “intuitive healer” and self-proclaimed “traveling hippie.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article208294694.html#storylink=cpy

The multiracial family reminded Washington of her own, she said. African American, Washington had been adopted by a white woman. So when at the festival she noticed that the girls had matted hair beneath bandannas, she said, she told Jen: “Don’t worry. I’ll show you how to do it. My mom had issues too.”

But every time she tried to follow up, Washington said, Jen “would say they were too busy or make up all kinds of excuses.”

---
Good God, they didnt even have time to run away and become a Hendrix, or Prince.

Not than anyone would because genius somehow makes its way regardless, but so many people try?

I want to know, did they ever listen to 'the wind cries mary' or, 'foxey lady'?

I want to know!

Call police and CPS, and follow up. And follow up again. Basically, don't call and hope it turns out for the best. If it's enough to raise an internal alarm, it's worth taking the chance of being wrong about. It entirely depends on the precinct/office as to whether or not they'll take the time to investigate. The DeKalbs/her father had to call state authorities, if I remember right, because the local CPS office didn't take it seriously. My neighbors called the police a lot on my family growing up. That was in a small midwestern town, and I don't know if they showed up every time someone called, but they were there a lot. Do not underestimate how much it means to a kid to know that the neighbors are looking out for them, even if LE doesn't ultimately help.

By contrast, I lived in NYC, next to a police station, for three years. Literally, right next door, a thirty second walk. I reported violent domestic disputes in my building twice, over the phone, and no one ever came over. I literally had to walk to the station both times and wait there being obnoxious to get a police officer to go over.

I don´t live in America, but I would call police.
They can take it from there - better be safe than sorry (like that poor lady next door.)

Hannah first ran to a neighbour who had actually interacted with the children.
They had done little chores for him. He had a different impression than the DeKalbs. He claims he often saw them outside and they also visited him.
I think it must be him she ran to, but gates locked. He has animals on his property I think.

So she didn´t run to a total stranger initially.
Wonder what he would have done.

Right! And that's what had me annoyed because neighbors usually talk to other neighbors when they're unsure of another neighbor but I think Bruce tried to reassure her by going next door. Some times he said he went over there and other times he says they came over with a signed card. Which is it[emoji845]

IMO

Right. But we have to examine the mindset here. What made Bruce quickly inform them that the child was there? Didn't take the children serious.

IMO

Having been in a similar (but not even close to as serious, thank goodness) situation, I can sympathize with the DeKalbs. Everything went from zero to sixty so quickly, they were probably caught off guard.

On one hand, you have a rattled, wild child terrified, and then here come the nice mommies and the worried siblings. Mom is calm and rational and has a story ready. They gaslighted the neighbor!

I wonder if Jen and Sarah's families had a close relationship with the children prior to them moving? Were they visiting? Were they calling on birthdays, Christmas and so on? Was any family member actually checking on the children?

They live in South Dakota which is rather far away

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2016/06/07/the-30-essential-cured-meats-to-know/

Found this link which lists 30 types of cured meats, most of which I'd never heard of. Most of them remind me of something someone on the Sopranos would get from a deli?

Not that it really matters, I was just curious about that term after hearing it here...

We also know what Jen did and said were different correct ? Who doesn't let kids eat sugar, afraid of GMo, processed food but ok with "cured meats!" I would think it was whatever serviced and was easiest for them as well as at one point, cheapest according to article. Really?

I wonder if the Turpin story scared these 2 moms. They might think they might get arrested if others knew of their parenting styles. Even if not as extreme as the Turpins people are on high alert for this type of thing right now.

In this context, my mind went to jerky bc it definitely doesn't need refrigeration.

Maybe, somehow in the limited interactions with that neighbor, the kids said they aren't eating sugar? Also, I study diets and nutrition and many, many people cut out white sugar but still allow fruit, dates, honey, maple syrup, etc. they just avoid white sugar. Then other don't allow any sweeteners but do allow fruit and then others who don't do any sugar but what is naturally in vegetables.

Just my speculation and moo.

Having been in a similar (but not even close to as serious, thank goodness) situation, I can sympathize with the DeKalbs. Everything went from zero to sixty so quickly, they were probably caught off guard.

On one hand, you have a rattled, wild child terrified, and then here come the nice mommies and the worried siblings. Mom is calm and rational and has a story ready. They gaslighted the neighbor!

Yea but Dana observed how Jen talked to the children and how she fed them emotions and words to spit back out. She described it as robotic so she's witnessing control behavior first hand... and for someone to be calm and collect and not equally wild and terrified that their child ran away is highly suspicious to me too. I would have interviewed Hannah first, called 911 and played dumb like I didn't hear the Hart women...not let them know where she is hiding. Surely they'd appreciate me reporting their missing child to the police...

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member