CA CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 Mar 2018 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I watched the documentary tonight and didn't learn anything new. All of the people interviewed and everything they discussed were already covered at length on the Broken Harts podcast. I was hoping to learn more about Jenn and Sarah (like their backstory and upbringing) but very little is mentioned at all.

Broken Harts , Episode 7: Full Transcript

Drew, who spent a lot of time, with Jen, in the online gaming world, and also chatted with her outside of the game, had some unique insights into the family.

To read now that she was reportedly depriving them of food, it is infuriating, not just to me but to all of us who spent so much time online with her, because we can't help but think that the hours that she was devoting to us and to our clan and to our game, the money that she was devoting to the game, it should've gone to the children. When I realized that she was a homeschool mom, I'm like, There's no way in hell those kids are learning. I mean, really. It's impossible with the amount of time she’s spending on this game and with the gaming community; it's impossible that six kids could be learning.

Drew describes Jen as highly competitive. Another gamer we spoke to called her a stone-cold narcissist because she kept her clan members on such a tight leash, bossing them around at all hours of the day. It was common for Jen to sit near the top of the rankings, not just the clan rankings but the individual ones, which is a bigger deal. Team members teased her about how she was the first to crack a really complex part of the game. Drew told her she must have developed a diagram to figure it out. In fact, she had. Sometime in the summer of 2017, Jen abruptly left the game, claiming she wanted to spend more time with her kids. Drew believes her hasty departure was because of a conflict with a fellow gamer who she believed was cheating. Jen refused to continue on if he stayed in the clan, and when he didn't leave, she signed off the chat with a picture of her kids at the beach.

bbm
This was an very good podcast, and this particular episode was such an informative tell about where Jen was really spending her time. Thanks for linking this podcast, Breezie.

4 Years After Wash. Mom Drove Wife and Kids off Cliff, the 'Hart Family Murders' Remain Chilling (msn.com)

snip
The crash occurred on a Monday, just after 3 a.m. A revving car engine, tires crunching on gravel and plaintive cries for help could be heard in the dark of night, a camper near the crash site recalled. They were the sounds of the family's GMC Yukon — with Jennifer; her partner, Sarah; and their six helpless children inside — speeding off the cliff and plunging into the rocky Pacific coast.

I watched the documentary tonight and didn't learn anything new. All of the people interviewed and everything they discussed were already covered at length on the Broken Harts podcast. I was hoping to learn more about Jenn and Sarah (like their backstory and upbringing) but very little is mentioned at all.
I don't mean to sound harsh. This story broke my heart when it happened. I read all I could and kept hoping one of the kids might be found alive. And now? I really don't give a flip about Jenn and Sarah's backstory. They used those kids for a paycheck and starved and abused and murdered them. Thats is all I need to know.

I don't mean to sound harsh. This story broke my heart when it happened. I read all I could and kept hoping one of the kids might be found alive. And now? I really don't give a flip about Jenn and Sarah's backstory. They used those kids for a paycheck and starved and abused and murdered them. Thats is all I need to know.
Fair enough.

I’m always interested in the psychology behind a crime, but that’s just me. I realize we all have our reasons for being here.

Fair enough.

I’m always interested in the psychology behind a crime, but that’s just me. I realize we all have our reasons for being here.
Back when this first happened, I did find some articles that talked a bit about their backgrounds. Never a lot. I got the impression that they didn't particularly discuss their earlier lives much with their current social circle and didn't particularly maintain ties back home due to the homophobia they'd faced as young women. But I never saw any indication that either one had had anything but a fairly normal upbringing for the time in small-town South Dakota.

Edited to add: One of the things that creeped me out about this case was the performative parenting they did on social media and their seemingly never-ending quest to depict the perfect family. It reminds me of people I know IRL. I suspect neither one of them had the personality to be a parent but rather than accepting that, which would have immensely benefited the children, as well as themselves, they doubled-down on getting more kids.

Back when this first happened, I did find some articles that talked a bit about their backgrounds. Never a lot. I got the impression that they didn't particularly discuss their earlier lives much with their current social circle and didn't particularly maintain ties back home due to the homophobia they'd faced as young women. But I never saw any indication that either one had had anything but a fairly normal upbringing for the time in small-town South Dakota.

Edited to add: One of the things that creeped me out about this case was the performative parenting they did on social media and their seemingly never-ending quest to depict the perfect family. It reminds me of people I know IRL. I suspect neither one of them had the personality to be a parent but rather than accepting that, which would have immensely benefited the children, as well as themselves, they doubled-down on getting more kids.
It was all for the money. Helped them live their own dream life while starving and abusing the kids. Sick sick people.

Unfortunately, that would certainly explain why he was never found. I know investigators said they'd determined he was likely in the car, but that phrasing makes me think whatever reasons they drew that from are not conclusive.

I’ve always had my suspicions that something happened with Dante first, leading to the decision of the adults to then kill the whole family. I did hold out hope that he would be found but now given up that hope.
This has always been in the back of my mind also. I wonder if they ever searched that property they owned. Or, maybe the surrounding area for any disturbed soil.

This is a new article about the Hart siblings adopted from Texas. The author has just published a book based on her research of the Hart family.

Roxanna Asgarian, who covers law and courts for The Texas Tribune, is the author of “We Were Once a Family: A Story of Love, Death, and Child Removal in America,”published today by Farrar, Straus & Giroux, from which this essay is excerpted.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rayhartley90
Back