Found Deceased CA - Heather Gumina Waters, 33, Pleasant Valley, 17 Jul 2019 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
El Dorado deputies arrest man in connection to 2019 death
Published: 9:03 PM PDT June 11, 2021
Updated: 9:03 PM PDT June 11, 2021
Heather Gumina-Waters was reported missing in July 2019. Two months later, her husband was arrested for her death.

EL DORADO COUNTY, Calif. — The El Dorado County Sheriff's Office has arrested a man they say is connected to the death of Heather Gumina-Waters.

Gumina-Waters was reported missing in July 2019. Two months later, deputies found her remains in the Pleasant Valley area and her husband, Anthony Gumina, was arrested on a homicide charge.

Years later, deputies have arrested 40-year-old Justin Kremer as an accessory to murder, according to a Facebook post from the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office. Deputies have not said how Kremer knew Gumina or the victim.

Kremer was booked into the El Dorado County Jail.

Deputies say no further details will be released.

El Dorado deputies arrest man in connection to 2019 death | abc10.com

JUN 15, 2021
New suspect arrested in connection with 2019 killing (mtdemocrat.com)
[...]

Kremer, who has a South Lake Tahoe address, is suspected of being an accessory in Gumina-Waters’ disappearance and alleged murder, according to sheriff’s officials. His bail has been set at $395,000 on the felony accessory charge.

[...]

Anthony Gumina’s next court appearance will be June 23 at 8:30 a.m. in Department 7 of El Dorado County Superior Court.

JUN 24, 2021
Husband Pleads Guilty To 2019 First-Degree Murder Of Wife Heather Gumina Waters In El Dorado County – CBS Sacramento (cbslocal.com)
[...]

Anthony John Gumina also pleaded guilty to two counts of felony domestic violence against his wife.

According to the district attorney, Anthony Gumina admitted in a courtroom filled with Heather’s family and friends that he slammed her to the ground and strangled her until she was no longer breathing. The DA said Gumina also admitted to putting a rope around Heather’s neck so he could move her out of the house.

Anthony Gumina reportedly blamed his deceased wife for hurting his pride and honor, officials said.

[...]

... He now faces 30 years to life in prison and is scheduled to be sentenced on September 3.

[...]

Also see:

Family attorney calls for domestic violence education in wake of Gumina Waters murder plea (fox40.com)

El Dorado County man admits to killing wife, prosecutors say | abc10.com

JUN 23, 2021
Heather Gumina Waters' husband pleads guilty to killing her in 2019 (fox40.com)
[...]

After her mother left, the DA says Anthony Gumina killed Heather Gumina Waters in “cold blood.”

[...]

The DA’s office says they found her wrapped in carpet with a noose around her neck and still wearing her hospital ID bracelet, smock and arm sling.

Gumina, in a statement to the court, said he “slammed her down onto the floor” and proceeded to suffocate her by “pressing down on her throat and arm at the same time.”

According to the DA, Gumina continued on to say he placed a rope around her neck in order to get her out of the house.

[...]

SEP 3, 2021
Anthony Gumina given life term in wife’s brutal death (mtdemocrat.com)
A video slideshow flashed on the television in El Dorado County Superior Court memorializing the life of Heather Gumina-Waters. Images showed the mother of three with her children and also photos of her with her killer.

[...]

After the video was over Judge Mark Ralphs handed down a life term to Anthony Gumina with the possibility of parole after 25 years.

[...]

When Heather’s mother JR spoke Anthony stared straight ahead, away from the grieving woman. When Heather’s sister MR’s statement was read, he remained looking in the same direction.

JR recalled the last time she saw Heather. It was the day before she went missing and Heather was in a lot of pain from a broken collarbone.

“After I left he violently ended my daughter’s life,” JR said, giving her victim impact statement before the court. “I can never forgive myself for being so blind, for not being able to rescue my daughter.”

[...]

When she was taking the final U-Haul load out of the area, she said she saw Anthony riding his motorcycle with a girl on back who wasn’t Heather.

“I drove a short distance and pulled over and completely fell apart. My whole world was crumbling before me,” JR said.

[...]

“Seeing my sister’s children traumatized and confused while moving and not knowing where their mother was at the time was very hard. Then we heard the news. Telling them was dreadful. Seeing them grieve to this day, I wish I could take their misery away.”

[...]

Heather’s body was found buried several feet deep in the dirt on a property near the Guminas’ Pleasant Valley residence, according to the District Attorney’s Office. Heather’s body was reportedly found wrapped in a carpet with a noose around her neck, still wearing her hospital ID bracelet, smock and sling.

“My life and her children’s lives, her brothers’ and sisters’ lives and other members of our family’s lives were completely shattered forever.”

Throughout JR and MR’s remarks, family members overwhelmed by emotion stepped out of the courtroom. Inside the courtroom yells of “coward” aimed at Anthony could be heard.

[...]

“She was the most beautiful, outgoing, loving, generous, confident, motivated, carefree, selfless person on earth,” MR said.

Last edited:
SEP 3, 2021
Husband Sentenced To Life With Possibility Of Parole For 2019 Killing Of His Wife In El Dorado County – CBS Sacramento (cbslocal.com)
[...]

Friday, there was not one dry eye inside the courtroom as that sentence was handed down. Heather’s mother JR detailed the cycle of domestic abuse that led to her daughter’s death.

[...]

“I guess I would call him a soul-less human being the way he took my daughter’s life,” she said.

[...]

A second suspect was arrested in connection to Heather’s disappearance and murder. Justin Kremer, 40, is suspected of being an accessory to Heather’s murder. His connection to Heather and Anthony Gumina isn’t clear at this point.

I'm relieved he pleaded guilty, but horrified to hear the details. Anthony Gumina is an animal, will he actually serve the whole 30 years?

Agreed….I just caught up on this case and was not prepared for these details. Now I’m on my lunch break, crying for Heather and her family. It is horrifying that he has the possibility of parole. I pray it is never granted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79
Back