CA CA - Heidi Planck, 39, left son’s football game in Downey, dog found in Los Angeles, 17 Oct 2021 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that the @LAPDMPU only has 154 tweets, and presumably about half of those are located tweets, it's hard to say how unusual the involvement of RHD is. With that said, Heidi's case is the first out of ~80 where they're the point of contact.

To put it another way, she's the first missing person in the 6 months of the account's existence to have RHD as a point of contact.

Re: the discussion that the “we wouldn’t want to keep the dog away from a 10 year old boy” statement.

I don’t find this to be unusual in the least. Here is my speculation of what happened:
+ Residents find Seven in the hall/outside the building (unclear which)
+ They immediately find his collar with ID tag and call HP (I am presuming he had a collar / ID tag)
+ They are surprised there isn’t an immediate response - I know I would be
+ They wait a day, then take Seven to the vet to see if he’s chipped. I presume that the vet / microchip company tries to make contact with HP and is again unsuccessful.
+ More time goes by, and they feel no one is claiming the dog
+ They get attached and begin thinking perhaps he will stay with them
+ When JW gets in touch, its been several days. It isn’t remotely surprising to me that the dog-finders might have begun to entertain the idea that they’d keep Seven given no one seemed to claim him

And so, when finally in touch with JW someone quips “Well, we wouldn’t want to keep him from a 10 year old boy!”

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I'm probably reading too much into that statement. Also, this is JW's recount of what they said--so their wording may not even be exactly as he remembered.

Re: the discussion that the “we wouldn’t want to keep the dog away from a 10 year old boy” statement.

I don’t find this to be unusual in the least. Here is my speculation of what happened:
+ Residents find Seven in the hall/outside the building (unclear which)
+ They immediately find his collar with ID tag and call HP (I am presuming he had a collar / ID tag)
+ They are surprised there isn’t an immediate response - I know I would be
+ They wait a day, then take Seven to the vet to see if he’s chipped. I presume that the vet / microchip company tries to make contact with HP and is again unsuccessful.
+ More time goes by, and they feel no one is claiming the dog
+ They get attached and begin thinking perhaps he will stay with them
+ When JW gets in touch, its been several days. It isn’t remotely surprising to me that the dog-finders might have begun to entertain the idea that they’d keep Seven given no one seemed to claim him

And so, when finally in touch with JW someone quips “Well, we wouldn’t want to keep him from a 10 year old boy!”

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I'm probably reading too much into that statement. Also, this is JW's recount of what they said--so their wording may not even be exactly as he remembered.

That is a gut wrenching story.
What a Mom, my gosh, flying back and forth from Australia. Asha looks so gentle and beautiful.
LE doesn’t get to choose not to investigate because they “think” a disappearance may be Voluntary.
That classification has to be established precisely through contact with the MP.
MOO

Stories like this are so hard to understand. How can someone who is going through a real mental health crisis-- where their thoughts/decisions have become disorganized-- successfully disappear without leaving a trace? Just seems like it would take some careful planning to completely disappear & never be found.

Thought HP thread was going to be much busier, and it would be, but there is so little available for WS to discuss.

Much of the info available is from JW when the story first hit the media. I find it weird that the Ex could go in HP's home and take her phone especially as not long before the LE raid of HP's home. I would not even be aware of HP gone missing except for WS. Sources of info have certainly dried up.

Thought HP thread was going to be much busier, and it would be, but there is so little available for WS to discuss.

Much of the info available is from JW when the story first hit the media. I find it weird that the Ex could go in HP's home and take her phone especially as not long before the LE raid of HP's home. I would not even be aware of HP gone missing except for WS. Sources of info have certainly dried up.
Every day I run searches through Twitter, Facebook, and Duckduckgo looking for any updated info and it's so disappointing when there's nothing new

How has MSM not released the court/custody documents...DM clearly obtained them and made a quick video clip summarizing them but why would they not show them or any other news outlet...I would have thought The Sun would have been all over that?

Stories like this are so hard to understand. How can someone who is going through a real mental health crisis-- where their thoughts/decisions have become disorganized-- successfully disappear without leaving a trace? Just seems like it would take some careful planning to completely disappear & never be found.

We used to get about 1 inpatient every week or so, who was from out of state (this was a San Francisco adjacent facility).

They were almost all bipolar 1. Manic. Up and left their previous lives, homes, families, jobs, etc. They were psychotic. Found wandering in SF, mostly. This was a veterans facility, so when they ran up against LE and LE attempted to run ID, they would find they were veterans and bring them over.

Their families were often desperately looking for them, had no clue where they were. There was no careful planning. They would go to the airport and buy a ticket somewhere, no one would know where they were for quite some time. They keep traveling, too. They will take risks, hitchhike, etc.

I noticed this too. It only makes sense if it were sort of a jokey comment the dog-finders said, after they called and heard that it was a kid’s dog and they were just saying “oh hey, it’s really such a cute dog! we almost want to keep it, he’s so cute! But of course I know your 10 year old must be totally attached ha ha”
Otherwise, it’s totally bizarre.
Or, maybe after a week of trying to unsuccessfully reach Heidi, they had decided that they would like to keep the dog given that he was good and sweet and all that and so perhaps the last text messages were along the lines of "since we haven't heard back from you we're going to keep him if that's OK." And then whenever they heard back from JW of course they said no of course take him back. Without having the context of all the text messages, it's difficult to really know. But in my mind there's nothing suspicious about them saying of course they want to give a dog back to a 10 year old. I find it more suspicious if they said they did not.

We used to get about 1 inpatient every week or so, who was from out of state (this was a San Francisco adjacent facility).

They were almost all bipolar 1. Manic. Up and left their previous lives, homes, families, jobs, etc. They were psychotic. Found wandering in SF, mostly. This was a veterans facility, so when they ran up against LE and LE attempted to run ID, they would find they were veterans and bring them over.

Their families were often desperately looking for them, had no clue where they were. There was no careful planning. They would go to the airport and buy a ticket somewhere, no one would know where they were for quite some time. They keep traveling, too. They will take risks, hitchhike, etc.

How often did these people eventually return to their previous lives, in your opinion...usually, often, rarely, almost never?

Last edited:
To my knowledge, other than releasing the missing persons poster, LE has made no public statements of any type, and no requests at all for any assistance from the public.
Yes, was going to say the same thing. Other than the snippets we have learned from the media, LE has made no statement, press conference or plea of any kind. To be honest, we don't even really know if they have the surveillance footage from the H+F or the alley video from the resident. It has been reported saying that but then again that is not coming from LE so it's not 100%. I'm wondering if this is even being investigated really at this point?? What if LE has spoken to her or she is in a psychiatric facility again or something else and that is why LE has said nothing publically to try and obtain any further information nor told her family members anything??

I would think that LAPD would have employees on their MP detail who would have reached out to many psychiatric facilities across the west (there aren't that many). Has to be standard.

Not finding her in a hospital, they have apparently transferred the case to the Homicide Division, to try and rule out homicide, I imagine. That may not be possible and there the matter may remain, in which case, we'll learn very little.

That's what happened in Kolby's case. She was missing for about 7 months before her skeletal remains were found:

Skeletal Remains Found a Week Ago Positively ID'd as Those of Missing Woman

There was virtually no information about the case or the search, although her family did make some SM posts. There may even be forensic evidence and a suspect - but we are not privy to that.

So Heidi's case could go on for quite a while.

Yes, was going to say the same thing. Other than the snippets we have learned from the media, LE has made no statement, press conference or plea of any kind. To be honest, we don't even really know if they have the surveillance footage from the H+F or the alley video from the resident. It has been reported saying that but then again that is not coming from LE so it's not 100%. I'm wondering if this is even being investigated really at this point?? What if LE has spoken to her or she is in a psychiatric facility again or something else and that is why LE has said nothing publically to try and obtain any further information nor told her family members anything??

While it is possible that Heidi has been found alive, and perhaps in some type of hospital or treatment center I do believe that we would be told at least that she has been located alive. LE may or perhaps may not release that info publicly, were it to be discovered, but I feel that JW would make it known, as he seems to know the phone numbers for all of the media outlets. JMO

I would think that LAPD would have employees on their MP detail who would have reached out to many psychiatric facilities across the west (there aren't that many). Has to be standard.

Not finding her in a hospital, they have apparently transferred the case to the Homicide Division, to try and rule out homicide, I imagine. That may not be possible and there the matter may remain, in which case, we'll learn very little.

That's what happened in Kolby's case. She was missing for about 7 months before her skeletal remains were found:

Skeletal Remains Found a Week Ago Positively ID'd as Those of Missing Woman

There was virtually no information about the case or the search, although her family did make some SM posts. There may even be forensic evidence and a suspect - but we are not privy to that.

So Heidi's case could go on for quite a while.
Do we know for sure though that Homicide Division is involved? I mean again, we have just heard that but not directly from them? And what if MP detail has called psychicatric facilities or rehab centers and she is there or they have even actually spoken to her or know where she is and it is by choice. They would not have to legally tell her friends, family or the public that? Just thinking that might be the case at this point since LE has literally never made one statement or media outreach. Then again, I would think she would not be listed as a missing person though I guess if that were the case?

While it is possible that Heidi has been found alive, and perhaps in some type of hospital or treatment center I do believe that we would be told at least that she has been located alive. LE may or perhaps may not release that info publicly, were it to be discovered, but I feel that JW would make it known, as he seems to know the phone numbers for all of the media outlets. JMO
I dont believe that they would have to tell JW anything though. But if they did, that could also be why he has basically gone radio silent after the video footage was released.

They have to update the MP registry/reports - but that's all they do. They don't give "us" any details other than that.

If HP asked JW not to say where she is, wouldn't he comply? Surely he'd prefer their family matters be private. I don't think LE would personally contact JW, she would have to.

Do we know for sure though that Homicide Division is involved? I mean again, we have just heard that but not directly from them? And what if MP detail has called psychicatric facilities or rehab centers and she is there or they have even actually spoken to her or know where she is and it is by choice. They would not have to legally tell her friends, family or the public that? Just thinking that might be the case at this point since LE has literally never made one statement or media outreach. Then again, I would think she would not be listed as a missing person though I guess if that were the case?

It may take them a few days to update the files - but yes, she needs to be changed to VM in the databases. The only place I've heard about RMD being involved is here on WS, so I assumed it was accurate. If it's just speculation, I hope someone clarifies that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89