CA CA - Ilene Misheloff, 13, Dublin, 30 Jan 1989

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes. She used to have a poster with her most current age progression photo. I’ve been trying to get a child back on for some time now.
It appears they’re only California office is in Southern California. Had it been in Northern California I would be willing to go there and talk to someone in person

I am trying to more information for a timeline. I am confused by some of the items in newspaper reports and want to try to line everything up. I thought there would be other kids walking home at the same time that would have to have seen her. However there is one news article I read that said she left school early that day. Also, my best friend is from her neighborhood and she remembers that when when some kids walked home they used "the tube" to get from one side of San Ramon road to the other. This was essentially a drainage tube that ended up in/near the creek bed where Ilene's things were found. I wonder if she crossed via street level or did she use the tube? Would explain why she was never seen on the other side of the road as the exit to the tube was down from street level.

Last edited:
Several classmates reported seeing Ilene walking alone on Amador Valley Boulevard near Village Parkway and the Shamrock Shopping Center in the afternoon. According to the police, Ilene was taking a shortcut home, going through a wide alley behind a shopping center, a furniture store called the Sawmill, and Gallagher’s Pub, then across the boulevard and through John Mape Park along a dry creek bed. Ilene was carrying a dark blue backpack at the time of her disappearance. The backpack was later found abandoned in the creek bed in John Mape Park near where she was last seen. Because the backpack was discovered in an area after it had already been searched; authorities believe someone may have placed it there on purpose.

I am wondering if Ilene used the Tube shortcut that day. If her keyfob was dropped by her, and not intentionally left like the backpack, she was headed hoe NOT headed to ICELAND. the rink was in the other direction.

EDIT: I removed parts of this quote because the reward/contact information may no longer valid

Yes, it’s horrible. The mothers and fathers have all suffered too. 3 decades of not knowing and 4 for Tara Cossey
I had never head of Tara, just looked it up. We are the same age, perhaps thats why i never read about it. The other girls from the bay area i knew about. Though I feel Ilene never got the same attention as the other girls, perhaps because she was older. Or because there were no witnesses. Though i did read that someone said later that they saw her get into a car. I really need to get all the info together and get a decent timeline on here.

I would like to Believe that Amber-Swartz Garcia is alive but someone confessed to her murder.
I would like to Believe that Amber-Swartz Garcia is alive but someone confessed to her murder.
Yes, Curtis Dean Anderson confessed to killing Amber. However, Amber' s mother has long believed that his was a false confession. Amber's case was reopened in 2013.

Yes, Curtis Dean Anderson confessed to killing Amber. However, Amber' s mother has long believed that his was a false confession. Amber's case was reopened in 2013.
I hope all of these girls lived.

I have hope for Tara Cossey. This year will mark 4 decades since she vanished but I still think she’s alive!

Sadly, I do not believe Ilene is alive. IMO also I do not feel that any of the suspects named prior to be responsible. It is my feeling that it is someone local. Someone who could watch these kids walking home, using that riverbed as a shortcut. The reason I believe this is the backpack. If this were a random stranger ,who happened to just spot her, why risk coming back and placing the backpack to be found later. If she actually made it to the other side of the street, where the key fob and backpack were found, she would be very hard to spot from the main road (San Ramon rd), even back then

JAN 19, 2018
Annual Candlelight Walk for Missing Dublin Teen
DUBLIN, CA — This month marks 29 years since middle schooler Ilene Beth Misheloff was kidnapped while walking home from school in Dublin. On January 30, at 7 p.m., Ilene's family and friends will participate in a candlelight walk and ecumenical prayer service in honor of Ilene.

Ilene vanished while walking home from Wells Middle School in Dublin on January 30, 1989. She was 13. The investigation into Ilene's disappearance continues in an effort to return Ilene safely to her parents Mike and Maddi Misheloff. The Misheloffs continue to hold out hope that their beloved daughter will someday return.

There is currently a $95,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the subject(s) responsible for Ilene's disappearance. Anyone with information regarding Ilene's disappearance should contact Dublin Police Sergeant Daniel McNaughton at (925) 833-6673. All tips will remain anonymous.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sonjo77
Back